ImageImageImage

My Question: Why will we be bad next year?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Re: My Question: Why will we be bad next year? 

Post#21 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 4:48 am

I think we'll be competitive in games, but won't win a lot. Something that will help is we'll be a pesky defensive team that gets a ton of steals.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#22 » by MinneOOPalis » Thu Sep 4, 2014 6:52 am

Klomp wrote:
If there are questions whether or not Wiggins is a leader or not, we’ll find out shortly. Then again, that’s a lot of pressure to put on a 19-year-old. Most 19-year-olds just moved into their college apartment and have a case of Bud Light in their fridge.

This Minnesota team is one without a clear No.1 player. Kevin Martin and Nikola Pekovic are very nice pieces to the puzzle. Corey Brewer and Chase Budinger are veteran wing players. Thaddeus Young is a capable power forward who is coming off of his best season as a pro - which might have a bit to do with Philadelphia’s total rebuild. Ricky Rubio is a nice player and is one of the best passers and defensive point guards in the game. His shooting, though, must improve for him to be considered a top-tier player.

The most logical choice to step up is Wiggins, but to his advantage, the pressure won’t be on him to.

“I have a philosophy, I've coached a lot of young players in the past, and I've always said I give players responsibility and as much responsibility as they can accept and continue to grow and improve then I give them more responsibility,” Saunders said. ‘If they can't accept that then they take a step back. I expect him to accept a lot of responsibility from the beginning and see where that goes.”

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/letting ... do-talking

This dude writes some of the worst articles.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#23 » by LordBaldric » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:07 am

We might be ok. If we were in the East I'd say we were a playoff team.
garycarnivals
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#24 » by garycarnivals » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:11 am

number 1: Rubio's scoring

If the Wolves had a PG who could put the ball in the hoop (e.g. Ty Lawson, Damian Lillard) they would be MUCH better, especially with closing out games.

number 2: lack of shooters. Who can consistently make the 3 ball on this team? :o

number 3: the starting front court defense is not good. Thad is simply not tall enough and Pek is not agile/lanky enough.

I will say, in a few years, after Lavine, WIggins, and Dieng get some solid NBA experience under their belts, this team could be very good.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#25 » by Foye » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:17 am

I feel like one of the reasons why we will not be good next year is free throws.

Pek and Martin are obviously good at drawing fouls but they don't get the superstar calls Love did. I expect about 5 less FTA per game.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#26 » by ace625214 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:19 am

Lol. Let's not find swingmen who can score off passes from the best distributor in the league. Instead, let's dump him for players that can't play defense or pass as well, but they can make jump shots. That will make us a playoff team instantly.
sleepless 43
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#27 » by sleepless 43 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:31 am

Why don't we start a thread about why we're going to be good instead of why we're going to be bad.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#28 » by Guy986 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 8:09 am

Competing for a playoff spots in the West means 50 wins.

Young team(generally) don't win games. Teams with no real #1 option generally don't win games. Kevin Love may not be an alpha #1 option type but without him, the Timberwolves don't even have a true #2 option. Wiggins could develop into that guy but thats years away.

The wolves will have even MORE trouble finishing close games compared to last year. When plays are breaking down and defense clamps up in the 4th quarter, who is the team's best scoring option off the dribble? Mo WIlliams?

Anything upward of 35 wins, i think the season should be considered a success.... considering how young everyone is. Atleast the team should be fun to watch.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#29 » by urinesane » Thu Sep 4, 2014 8:21 am

sleepless 43 wrote:Why don't we start a thread about why we're going to be good instead of why we're going to be bad.

Why don't you read the actual first post?
sleepless 43
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#30 » by sleepless 43 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 8:48 am

oops I guess I should pay a little better attention, thank u urinesane.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#31 » by Basti » Thu Sep 4, 2014 9:26 am

Some of the reasons why I think we won't even get (very) close to the playoffs, I'm thinking around 30 wins for this team, were already mentioned.

My major concern is no go-to-guy in the 4th quarter. It doesn't always have to be one guy carrying a team but unless one of the new guys suddenly emerges as the scoring option to go with we'll still be in many many games until we'll eventually lose the majority of these games. This time, however, it shouldn't sting so much as expectations should be lower.

Another concern is no proper floor spacing which, especially in the 4th quarter will come back to bite us in the ass. And the only two shooters we have left on the team aren't really making me hopeful either. I'm just hoping Chase is 100% healthy and back to his old form again. Martin, however, I'd rather see traded for the right package.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#32 » by Tirion » Thu Sep 4, 2014 9:47 am

1) Because Wiggins, LaVine and Bennett will be net negatives on the floor, i.e. they will make mistakes that will lose this team's games far more often than they will make positive contributions.

2) Because Thad Young is no Kevin Love.

3) Because Flip will play Shabazz to vindicate himself and Shabazz is a very bad player.

Wolves will be fun to watch though.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#33 » by Calinks » Thu Sep 4, 2014 11:55 am

The western conference is the toughest basketball environment you can play in in the world. You put the western conference teams in the FIBA world cup and I guarantee you they would be trouncing many many teams. There are teams in the western conference who could beat Spain there are teams who could beat team USA. For us to do well in that conference you have to have talent and experience. We have little refined talent and little experience.

Shooting is going to be a big problem as we wont be able to do it very well. We wont have the strength to consistently finish inside to compensate. We wont have the respect of the officials, we probably wont have the support of the fans after a couple of months. It would be a miraculous feat if this team even sniffed the playoffs.

And if we got into the playoffs Rubio or whoever was the key catalyst would deserve the league MVP.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#34 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:19 pm

Basti wrote:
My major concern is no go-to-guy in the 4th quarter. It doesn't always have to be one guy carrying a team but unless one of the new guys suddenly emerges as the scoring option to go with we'll still be in many many games until we'll eventually lose the majority of these games. This time, however, it shouldn't sting so much as expectations should be lower.

I don't really buy the 4th quarter hero stuff. You don't need that, a quality offense will work no matter what part of the game you're in. You just need a legit half court offense, of course that will be a question mark.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#35 » by Basti » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:33 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Basti wrote:

I don't really buy the 4th quarter hero stuff. You don't need that, a quality offense will work no matter what part of the game you're in. You just need a legit half court offense, of course that will be a question mark.

I agree that a quality offense will do the trick just as fine, if not better, but I'm not so sure the players we have on the team are strong enough mentally yet. Judging by last season (and if I'm not mistaken the year before) our main offensive options shrink under pressure. And that's the time when you need someone who's able to take over. Maybe Zach can grow into that role sooner than we're hoping for.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#36 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:39 pm

Basti wrote:
I agree that a quality offense will do the trick just as fine, if not better, but I'm not so sure the players we have on the team are strong enough mentally yet. Judging by last season (and if I'm not mistaken the year before) our main offensive options shrink under pressure. And that's the time when you need someone who's able to take over. Maybe Zach can grow into that role sooner than we're hoping for.

I tend to think that's something that would have fixed itself over time. Good players figure it out.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#37 » by C.lupus » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:42 pm

I think Love had the mentality to be that 4th quarter guy but the offense was just too predictable in crunch time. Adelman ran the same play every time and teams just doubled down on Love.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#38 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Sep 4, 2014 2:44 pm

49-33

My prediction.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#39 » by Note30 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 3:03 pm

^ Someone is going to be disappoint.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#40 » by Gunny » Thu Sep 4, 2014 4:05 pm

Foye wrote:I feel like one of the reasons why we will not be good next year is free throws.

Pek and Martin are obviously good at drawing fouls but they don't get the superstar calls Love did. I expect about 5 less FTA per game.

Wiggins set the all time Kansas record for free throws made in a season. I don't think it will be much of an issue.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves