ImageImageImage

Barea getting bought out.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Re: Barea getting bought out. 

Post#61 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:Another positive is all those Barea groupies on the Timberwolves Facebook/Twitter/Instagram accounts will leave. I get that they love him b/c he represents their country, but they had to be the most blind group of supporters ever. They never thought he had a bad game. Lol.

are they the one who were saying Rubio was holding Barea back?
Trust the PRosas!
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#62 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Probably. Sounds like something they'd say. Lol
Junior
And1: 112

Post#63 » by ... » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Isn't there a deadline for this? I thought I read somewhere that it was 5 pm today.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#64 » by C.lupus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:15 pm

I read that, too.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#65 » by Basti » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:33 pm

They better not screw this up before the deadline is passed. It would be sich a Wolves thing to do.

But if everything goes as indicated by those tweets I'll be such a happy camper.

Sent from my C6603 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Junior
And1: 112

Post#66 » by ... » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Here is where I read it. Still confused though. This week or next?

The Minnesota Timberwolves are in the process of finalizing a buyout for veteran guard J.J. Barea that should enable Barea to become a free agent early next week, according to league sources.

If the Mavs land J.J. Barea, he would be the second member of the Mavs' 2011 championship team to return to the franchise in recent months after Dallas reacquired center Tyson Chandler in June.
Sources told ESPN.com that Barea will be waived by the Wolves before Monday's 5 p.m. deadline for teams to cut rosters down to 15 players and possibly as early as Sunday.

Sources say that the Dallas Mavericks, meanwhile, are planning to re-sign Barea next week once he clears waivers. Barea is expected to clear because his salary-cap number for the coming season is $4.5 million.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11768729/jj-barea-minnesota-timberwolves-become-free-agent-early-next-week
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#67 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Basti wrote:They better not screw this up before the deadline is passed. It would be sich a Wolves thing to do.

But if everything goes as indicated by those tweets I'll be such a happy camper.

I'm not sure there's anything to screw up. You cut him. The end.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#68 » by packforfreedom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:45 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR/status/526809631247851520[/tweet]

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#69 » by urinesane » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced the team has finalized its 2014-15 Opening Night roster by waiving guard J.J. Barea.

"We'd like to thank J.J. for his three years in Minnesota," said Timberwolves Head Coach Flip Saunders. "J.J. made our decision incredibly difficult with his play this preseason, highlighted by sparking a 13-point fourth quarter comeback against Chicago on Friday. In talking with J.J. and his representatives over the past few days, we came to the conclusion that this was the best outcome for both parties. He was a consummate professional throughout his time in Minnesota, and we thank him for his leadership both on and off the court. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Barea, 30, averaged 10.1 points and 4.1 assists in 21.7 minutes per game in 194 games (14 starts) with the Timberwolves. For his career, the eight-year veteran owns averages of 8.3 points and 3.4 assists in 509 games.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#70 » by Sothron » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:14 pm

I am so happy that bum is out of here. We won't have him single handedly costing us games.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#71 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:25 pm

It's strange how his stats were decent for a guy so ****.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#72 » by HitmanCapone » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Klomp wrote:To tie this back on-topic in reference to Barea, exactly the same thing happened about four years ago at the point guard position, which is why players like Ridnour and Barea were brutally, and often times unfairly, criticized for the rest of their tenure in Minnesota.

For the record I didn't want to move Ridnour. He was one of my favorite players back when he played for Seattle and was happy he eventually ended up a member of the Timberwolves. I do agree that he got a lot of unfair criticism and still wish he was our backup PG. I think he's still severely under rated and if we didn't have Mo I would welcome him back with open arms even though he's now 33yrs old and will turn 34 during the season.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#73 » by ace625214 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:11 pm

HitmanCapone wrote:
Klomp wrote:To tie this back on-topic in reference to Barea, exactly the same thing happened about four years ago at the point guard position, which is why players like Ridnour and Barea were brutally, and often times unfairly, criticized for the rest of their tenure in Minnesota.

For the record I didn't want to move Ridnour. He was one of my favorite players back when he played for Seattle and was happy he eventually ended up a member of the Timberwolves. I do agree that he got a lot of unfair criticism and still wish he was our backup PG. I think he's still severely under rated and if we didn't have Mo I would welcome him back with open arms even though he's now 33yrs old and will turn 34 during the season.

I always liked Luke. He was a good, reliable backup PG. It wasn't his fault that he was forced to start at SG.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#74 » by HitmanCapone » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:15 pm

ace625214 wrote:
HitmanCapone wrote:

I always liked Luke. He was a good, reliable backup PG. It wasn't his fault that he was forced to start at SG.

Exactly. Luke should have never been playing the 2 but unfortunately we didn't have many other options
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#75 » by southern wolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:55 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:It's strange how his stats were decent for a guy so ****.

He always had one great game for every three or five bad ones that would pad his stats.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#76 » by Esohny » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:59 am

southern wolf wrote:
Sakuragi_ wrote:It's strange how his stats were decent for a guy so ****.

He always had one great game for every three or five bad ones that would pad his stats.

He's like the Fulton Reed of NBA backups.

SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Hambone93
Starter
And1: 501

Post#77 » by Hambone93 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:41 am

Klomp wrote:
Hambone93 wrote:I just don't think we have the spacing to support his post game anymore, and this team is going to really want to (and need to) run a lot and attack aggressively in semi transition. And to get those opportunities you're really going to want a quicker and more defensively minded C.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Deng starts to eat a lot more of the minutes at the center position.

I would maybe consider cashing out on pek while his value is still high.

Maybe that's just me though.

We shot 38% from 3-point range in preseason. Last season, that would've been a top-5 percentage.

And maybe you don't remember, but Pekovic has actually been good in semi-transition game:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_u_FeZOq0[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8x3Ste6kCE[/youtube]

But it's comments like yours are why I said it will be Pekovic as the scape goat. Since drafting Dieng, people have preconceived notions of what a center must be for this team, and anyone that doesn't fit that playing style will be the new scapegoat.

To tie this back on-topic in reference to Barea, exactly the same thing happened about four years ago at the point guard position, which is why players like Ridnour and Barea were brutally, and often times unfairly, criticized for the rest of their tenure in Minnesota.

Look, all I'm saying is we'll see. Pek isn't that fast and his body is not the kind that will take sustained play like that. If we run as much as we are set up too then pek will miss a lot of games. And all the youtube clips in the world won't convince me that pek is going to work well in an up tempo running type offense. He's plenty decent at rolling when he gets there, but he is not going to get there as quickly or as often as dieng would.

I like pek, I do. He is a very good post player, the best rebounder on our team (that was arguably true even with kevin love) and more solid on D than people give him credit for. I just see him struggling this season. I'm not trying to make him a scapegoat, just trying to explain how I think he will struggle in our new offense.

And I would be very surprised if we kept up our shooting throughout the season. As people are fond of saying it's the pre season, it doesn't mean much.

Also barea was less of a scapegoat as he was legitimately awful.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#78 » by Basti » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:21 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Basti wrote:They better not screw this up before the deadline is passed. It would be sich a Wolves thing to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you buy out a player don't have both parties have to agree on the buy-out? That is, of course, assuming that the team tries to save money, which Taylor has a reputation of.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#79 » by Saltine » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 am

Basti wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you buy out a player don't have both parties have to agree on the buy-out? That is, of course, assuming that the team tries to save money, which Taylor has a reputation of.

Yep, If the amount is less than what was originally guaranteed.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#80 » by TwolvesFanRome » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 am

This an amazing news! ahhahahahahaha! :)

I'm going to celebrate it with a mega-party here in Rome! :)

C'mon Zach, take your time!
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves