Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Re: Rubio Thread Siete 

Post#21 » by breatnach » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 am

wardjdim wrote:They are reportedly very close to a deal

Not 4/48 but not a max either.. Seems like it's around 4/60 but let's wait

Typo? 4/50 I assume you meant. Less than 48 hours to go, I really hope we get him locked up before he hits RFA.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#22 » by Esohny » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:22 am

AQuintus wrote:Kemba Walker apparently just signed a 4 year/$48 mil extension with the Hornets. That probably sets the market for Rubio (whose extension deadline is Friday).

Rubio is a significantly better player than Walker, so I wouldn't expect anything less than 4 years/$52+ mil.

Which when taken with the rising salary cap, shouldn't be a cause for concern.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#23 » by urinesane » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:47 am

Esohny wrote:
AQuintus wrote:Kemba Walker apparently just signed a 4 year/$48 mil extension with the Hornets. That probably sets the market for Rubio (whose extension deadline is Friday).

Rubio is a significantly better player than Walker, so I wouldn't expect anything less than 4 years/$52+ mil.

If Rubio keeps developing his scoring like he showed in the preseason, it would be a steal for the Wolves.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#24 » by C.lupus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:07 am

We interrupt this discussion about finances for...something...
Maybe it’s because I surround myself with opinionated know-it-alls, but the rejection of Ricky Rubio as a glorious point guard doesn’t jibe with my feelings and I get defensive and argue passionately about all the ways Rubio will inevitably improve – like field goal shooting where’s he a putrid sub-37% shooter for his career. But this isn’t about the holes in Rubio’s game, it’s about the magic, Ecclesiastical elements of his game that make me feel like I’m in a basketball fairytale riding magic carpets from one end of the court to the next while conductor Rubio masterfully navigates through nasty gauntlets of arms and elbows, legs and knees that pop out of thin air attempting to derail our fantasy ride.

This isn’t about Kevin Love or Andrew Wiggins or even David Kahn or Glen Taylor. It’s about the Spanish Inquisition, Rubio style. (Did you know that during international play, Rubio’s effect on his countrymen is so strong that they swaddle themselves in Spanish flags while falling asleep to mobiles of Ricky dancing into their dreams?) Rubio could have elephant seals for teammates and Michele Bachmann as a coach and would still average six assists. (Imagine the tension between the seals and Bachman as she argues global warming doesn’t exist.) This is about an infinitely scruffy beard and a transcendent passer who lights up basketball-loving senses in ways that call to mind yesterday’s passing maestros like Larry Bird and Omar Cook. When I think about Rubio, I’m not fixating on these hardcore stats that seek out some underlying notion of truth and value, I’m embarking on an artistic pilgrimage to expand my consciousness. For the uncluttered and imaginative, watching Rubio can be like an ultra-lite hallucination flooded with feelings of warmth and worlds previously unconsidered and unexplored. To experience Rubio is hiking through the maze of a basketball brain with waves of dopamine washing over your every turn.

Rubio is better than Chuck Norris memes and Dos Equis commercials. I attended two NBA games last year: Minnesota at Portland and Portland at the Lakers. For all the athletic and technical greatness on those courts, it was Rubio, the floppy-haired wizard at a lean 6’4” with just ten points and eleven assists against PDX who shone brightest. He pulverized the Portland defense at will, sliding through traps and past defenders with trademark deftness and dexterity. I swigged beer, cheered for a good game, accidentally spilled mustard on someone’s shoes, and enjoyed full initiation into some mythical cult of Rubio.

So when they ask me what I’m excited about for the 2014 season, it’s Ricky Rubio’s uninterrupted return to the free flowing motions of the NBA game; the only league on the entire planet in the known universe where a once-in-a-generation point guard (this doesn’t mean he’s the best) can unleash his visionary mind and tap into a potential so deep as to leave its witnesses with soft tears dribbling down cheeks, ready to have children just so they can pass on the good word: I have seen Rubio and I shall never wash these eyes. Shine on, you crazy diamond …

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/10/28/ ... cky-rubio/
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#25 » by LordBaldric » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 am

urinesane wrote:
Esohny wrote:

If Rubio keeps developing his scoring like he showed in the preseason, it would be a steal for the Wolves.

Rubio should have to prove it over a whole season. A handful of preseason games means zero.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#26 » by urinesane » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:14 am

LordBaldric wrote:
urinesane wrote:
Esohny wrote:

Rubio should have to prove it over a whole season. A handful of preseason games means zero.

Did you not read my post?
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#27 » by LordBaldric » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:43 am

I read it. It was in the context of handing Rubio $13 mil per year right now before he proved any scoring ability. I say wait and see what he does this year before offering more than 4/40.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#28 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 am

C.lupus wrote:We interrupt this discussion about finances for...something...
Maybe it’s because I surround myself with opinionated know-it-alls, but the rejection of Ricky Rubio as a glorious point guard doesn’t jibe with my feelings and I get defensive and argue passionately about all the ways Rubio will inevitably improve – like field goal shooting where’s he a putrid sub-37% shooter for his career. But this isn’t about the holes in Rubio’s game, it’s about the magic, Ecclesiastical elements of his game that make me feel like I’m in a basketball fairytale riding magic carpets from one end of the court to the next while conductor Rubio masterfully navigates through nasty gauntlets of arms and elbows, legs and knees that pop out of thin air attempting to derail our fantasy ride.

This isn’t about Kevin Love or Andrew Wiggins or even David Kahn or Glen Taylor. It’s about the Spanish Inquisition, Rubio style. (Did you know that during international play, Rubio’s effect on his countrymen is so strong that they swaddle themselves in Spanish flags while falling asleep to mobiles of Ricky dancing into their dreams?) Rubio could have elephant seals for teammates and Michele Bachmann as a coach and would still average six assists. (Imagine the tension between the seals and Bachman as she argues global warming doesn’t exist.) This is about an infinitely scruffy beard and a transcendent passer who lights up basketball-loving senses in ways that call to mind yesterday’s passing maestros like Larry Bird and Omar Cook. When I think about Rubio, I’m not fixating on these hardcore stats that seek out some underlying notion of truth and value, I’m embarking on an artistic pilgrimage to expand my consciousness. For the uncluttered and imaginative, watching Rubio can be like an ultra-lite hallucination flooded with feelings of warmth and worlds previously unconsidered and unexplored. To experience Rubio is hiking through the maze of a basketball brain with waves of dopamine washing over your every turn.

Rubio is better than Chuck Norris memes and Dos Equis commercials. I attended two NBA games last year: Minnesota at Portland and Portland at the Lakers. For all the athletic and technical greatness on those courts, it was Rubio, the floppy-haired wizard at a lean 6’4” with just ten points and eleven assists against PDX who shone brightest. He pulverized the Portland defense at will, sliding through traps and past defenders with trademark deftness and dexterity. I swigged beer, cheered for a good game, accidentally spilled mustard on someone’s shoes, and enjoyed full initiation into some mythical cult of Rubio.

So when they ask me what I’m excited about for the 2014 season, it’s Ricky Rubio’s uninterrupted return to the free flowing motions of the NBA game; the only league on the entire planet in the known universe where a once-in-a-generation point guard (this doesn’t mean he’s the best) can unleash his visionary mind and tap into a potential so deep as to leave its witnesses with soft tears dribbling down cheeks, ready to have children just so they can pass on the good word: I have seen Rubio and I shall never wash these eyes. Shine on, you crazy diamond …

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/10/28/ ... cky-rubio/

Wow, spot on. That is how is feel about Rubio. I think I'm a Rubio fan just as much as I'm a Wolves fan. I've never seen someone play basketball like him.
breatnach
Starter

Post#29 » by breatnach » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 am

Since we haven't heard anything before the game, I assume he will head into RFA? Today is the deadline after all...

I was sort of hoping they would make an official announcment before the game to get the home crowd stoked.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#30 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 am

breatnach wrote:Since we haven't heard anything before the game, I assume he will head into RFA? Today is the deadline after all...

I was sort of hoping they would make an official announcment before the game to get the home crowd stoked.

Deadline is tomorrow
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
breatnach
Starter

Post#31 » by breatnach » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:51 am

Klomp wrote:
breatnach wrote:Since we haven't heard anything before the game, I assume he will head into RFA? Today is the deadline after all...

Deadline is tomorrow

Ha, forgot it's still Thursday in the US :)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:46 am

breatnach wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Deadline is tomorrow

Yup. Deadline is a little over 25 hours from now. 11 pm Central on Friday.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#33 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 am

breatnach wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Deadline is tomorrow

A world clock widget would be handy
Trust the PRosas!
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#34 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 am

Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson · 7m 7 minutes ago

Word tonight on Rubio talks: both sides dug in pretty good. Talks will get serious tomorrow. Probably goes right up to deadline. #twolves
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:10 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:A world clock widget would be handy

We are just under 25 hours from the deadline.

davinci79
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#36 » by davinci79 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:28 am

kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:55 pm

I love Ricky, but he SHOULD be able to dunk. He's 6'4.

I could dunk in high school and college, and I'm only 5'11.

On a more serious note...what is everyone's gut feeling on if a deal gets done before tonight's deadline?
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#38 » by m2002brian » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:01 pm

Jumping off the leg with an ACL replacement! He could dunk before the injury. Also, today (here) I noticed he was on the receiving/finishing end of a fast break. Soon it'll get all confusing and he'll be smashing in ally oops.
BLUEGREENRED
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:33 pm

I had only seen him dunk a couple of times prior to the injury. I've seen him try and miss a bunch of times. I just thought it was a rare occurrence for him to put one down during warmups.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#40 » by ace625214 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:11 pm

I remember seeing him go up with two hands off two feet and put one down easily. I think that was pre-injury though. He should still be gaining athleticism for another year or two before he peaks out, especially since it seems like he matured a bit late.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves