ImageImageImage

Rubio Thread Siete

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Re: Rubio Thread Siete 

Post#561 » by mondry » Sat Jul 4, 2015 6:38 am

Klomp wrote:Looking back at the season, Rubio was revitalized by Garnett's return. In the five games KG played, Rubio had four double-doubles (one a triple-double). The one game without, he had 6 pts, 7 reb, 8 ast in KG's return vs. Washington. Also, the team went 2-2 against playoff teams in those five games.

Ricky's a beast, with the eye test his shot looked a lot better, not sure if it showed up in the stats or not but I think as long as he's healthy he'll be flirting with a triple double most nights, granted it'll be like 10-15 points, 7-12 assists, 7-10 rebounds.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#562 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:04 am

mondry wrote:
Klomp wrote:Looking back at the season, Rubio was revitalized by Garnett's return. In the five games KG played, Rubio had four double-doubles (one a triple-double). The one game without, he had 6 pts, 7 reb, 8 ast in KG's return vs. Washington. Also, the team went 2-2 against playoff teams in those five games.

Ricky's a beast, with the eye test his shot looked a lot better, not sure if it showed up in the stats or not but I think as long as he's healthy he'll be flirting with a triple double most nights, granted it'll be like 10-15 points, 7-12 assists, 7-10 rebounds.

Ricky IS a beast, he's suffering from Mike Conley underratedness by fans because they don't get to watch him that much. (Not that I blame anyone for not tuning into the Wolves.)

He has a high bball IQ, runs an offense to perfection, rebounds, assists, steals, defense, he just can't score. I know that's 50% of the game, but he still has a HUGE positive impact on the game whether or not he gives us 10+ ppg.

If Rubio takes that next step and can become a respectable shooter (45% overall FG or more), we are going to be absolutely NASTY.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#563 » by urinesane » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:48 pm

Only thing that can stop Ricky is injury.

He was amazing starting last season, even though it's only 4 games I think it shows what he can be when 100% healthy.

He averaged 10.7 points, 11 assists, 6.2 rebounds, 1.5 steals with 41% fg. If he can stay healthy this season, he will be flirting with triple doubles often.
Skeon
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#564 » by Skeon » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:04 pm

Still don't know why people say Ricky is injury prone. He played all 82 games in the 2013/14 season. And he was unlucky with his ankle injury. I'm sure next season will be very important for the team, just like always was.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#565 » by urinesane » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:23 pm

Skeon wrote:Still don't know why people say Ricky is injury prone. He played all 82 games in the 2013/14 season. And he was unlucky with his ankle injury. I'm sure next season will be very important for the team, just like always was.

Yeah, they aren't injuries that are chronic sorts of things. Just have to hope he can avoid those random ones somehow.
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#566 » by phonzadellika » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:06 am

urinesane wrote:
Skeon wrote:Still don't know why people say Ricky is injury prone. He played all 82 games in the 2013/14 season. And he was unlucky with his ankle injury. I'm sure next season will be very important for the team, just like always was.

Yeah, they aren't injuries that are chronic sorts of things. Just have to hope he can avoid those random ones somehow.

I think having athletic teammates who can pass will help, he really put himself out there because he knew that the team wasnt winning without him being ultra aggressive.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Rubio Thread Siete 

Post#567 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:22 am

phonzadellika wrote:
I think having athletic teammates who can pass will help, he really put himself out there because he knew that the team wasnt winning without him being ultra aggressive.

That's a good point.
The injury he had in Orlando was because of that.
In that play, He had an open shot, but instead he try to be agressive and finish in the paint.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#568 » by AQuintus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:09 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/619990449273466880[/tweet]
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#569 » by Feilong » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:27 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydg7hdyXCaM[/youtube]
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,955

Post#570 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 am

Feilong wrote:
Spoiler:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydg7hdyXCaM[/youtube]

Wow, finally an interviewer that actually asks good questions!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#571 » by guest81 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP Jul 11
Also asked Taylor about Penberthy and whether the shooting coach will be back. "Still up in the air," Taylor said. #twolves

Does this mean that he hasn't been working with Rubio through the offseason because he hasn't been retained? Coupled with the fact that Rubio hasn't been able to do basketball activities is probably not a good sign
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#572 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Throw a boat load of money at Chip Engelland of the Spurs to be our player development/shooting coach if we ain't bringing back Penberthy.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#573 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:39 pm

guest81 wrote:Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP Jul 11
Also asked Taylor about Penberthy and whether the shooting coach will be back. "Still up in the air," Taylor said. #twolves

Does this mean that he hasn't been working with Rubio through the offseason because he hasn't been retained?

I'm guessing it means it's still up in the air...
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#574 » by breatnach » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
guest81 wrote:Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP Jul 11

Does this mean that he hasn't been working with Rubio through the offseason because he hasn't been retained?

I'm guessing it means it's still up in the air...

No, I am guessing it means they have not been working together until now. It's still up in the air if he will start working with Rubio again.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#575 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:57 pm

SI: What are you hoping to improve next season?

RR: "First of all, stay healthy. Get stronger. Both upper body and lower body. Try to grow up as a player. Be more of a vocal leader. I feel like I have to step up as a leader. When I was out, I learned more about leading by example. I learned a lot from Kevin Garnett. He will be really helpful for me.

"Also, shooting. I was feeling more confident last season. Because of the injury, I couldn’t prove it. I really feel like I had to improve on my jump shot.

"You always think about adding all this stuff, but the floater is really important for a guard with the big guys inside. It’s a weapon that guys like Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving, and Tony Parker have. They make a big difference just because of that."

SI: What goes into developing a floater?

RR: "[You have to] find your own one. Sometimes you keep shooting different floaters until you find the right one. It’s the one that fits you. Steph Curry’s floater is different than Tony Parker’s. You try to find it. It’s not easy to find. If it was easy, I would have it by now, and everyone would have one. It’s about having your own unique touch around the rim. Sometimes it’s [off] one foot. Sometimes it’s two feet. It depends. It’s just repetition until you find the right one."

SI: If you could steal one skill from any current NBA player, what would it be?

RR: "Stephen Curry's shooting. In the Finals and all year long, he was even shooting without his feet set and he was still able to make that shot. He has a special touch. That’s something I would like to have."

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/13/ricky-rubio-minnesota-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-andrew-wiggins

breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#576 » by breatnach » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 pm

Just read the SI interview and this caught my eye:

Ricky Rubio wrote:I try to get 100-200 shots a day up without jumping

Is it just me, or does that sound like very little? He isn't even talking about makes.
Wasn't DJ putting up thousand(s) of free throws every day? (not that it helped him...)
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#577 » by packforfreedom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Ricky is still doing rehab, which also takes time.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#578 » by Note30 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:20 am

Klomp wrote:SI: What are you hoping to improve next season?

RR: "First of all, stay healthy. Get stronger. Both upper body and lower body. Try to grow up as a player. Be more of a vocal leader. I feel like I have to step up as a leader. When I was out, I learned more about leading by example. I learned a lot from Kevin Garnett. He will be really helpful for me.

"Also, shooting. I was feeling more confident last season. Because of the injury, I couldn’t prove it. I really feel like I had to improve on my jump shot.

"You always think about adding all this stuff, but the floater is really important for a guard with the big guys inside. It’s a weapon that guys like Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving, and Tony Parker have. They make a big difference just because of that."

RR: "[You have to] find your own one. Sometimes you keep shooting different floaters until you find the right one. It’s the one that fits you. Steph Curry’s floater is different than Tony Parker’s. You try to find it. It’s not easy to find. If it was easy, I would have it by now, and everyone would have one. It’s about having your own unique touch around the rim. Sometimes it’s [off] one foot. Sometimes it’s two feet. It depends. It’s just repetition until you find the right one."

RR: "Stephen Curry's shooting. In the Finals and all year long, he was even shooting without his feet set and he was still able to make that shot. He has a special touch. That’s something I would like to have."

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/13/ricky-rubio-minnesota-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-andrew-wiggins

If Ricky had Steph's shooting, he'd be the best PG in the league.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#579 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:37 am

Note30 wrote:

Best PG in history I think haha
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#580 » by Note30 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:57 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Best PG in history I think haha

woah, that's a hefty statement haha
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves