ImageImageImage

Rubio Thread Siete

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

zauchary
Junior
And1: 28

Re: Rubio Thread Siete 

Post#461 » by zauchary » Wed Jun 3, 2015 3:21 pm

Ugh, I think this would be a terrible move. The team is just so much better with him. I'd like to see what he can do when the young pups grow up in a few years, allowing him to just do what he does best. I think he's a serviceable pull up shooter and obviously the not finishing at the rim is a bit confounding. But to me I'll take all those weaknesses in exchange for his defense, IQ, passing, and leadership. He's the heart beat of the team, in my opinion.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#462 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 5:36 pm

zauchary wrote:Ugh, I think this would be a terrible move. The team is just so much better with him. I'd like to see what he can do when the young pups grow up in a few years, allowing him to just do what he does best. I think he's a serviceable pull up shooter and obviously the not finishing at the rim is a bit confounding. But to me I'll take all those weaknesses in exchange for his defense, IQ, passing, and leadership. He's the heart beat of the team, in my opinion.

Go Bolts! 8-)
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#463 » by Sothron » Wed Jun 3, 2015 6:50 pm

I hope these rumors of dealing Rubio are just that. This team is significantly better when he's on the court.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#464 » by C.lupus » Wed Jun 3, 2015 6:56 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Rubio draws fouls at about the same rate as LeBron so he isn't getting treated too badly by the refs

Not doubting your word, but it's a surprising assesment, so it'd be great to have a link to see the kind of stat we are looking at. Is it fouls drawn per drive or something similar (since I was talking about being fouled on lay-ups)? Raw numbers for shooting fouls drawn?

Looking at the FTA per minute (I can't remember any solid source for shooting fouls drawn right now) we get that Lebron shoots 1 FT every 4.7 minutes on the floor, while Ricky shoots 1FT every 9.7 minutes (more than twice the timespan). Of course that's not the most reliable stat to see how both of them are treated around the rim, so as I said it'd be nice to have some better info,

free throw rate is made FT's / FGA, so if my calculator work was accurate, Lebron would be .293 last year, .324 the year before and Rubio was .260 last year, .338 the year before

edit, it's: FTA/FGA, not FTM http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/stats_explained
Lebron 13/14: .432 14/15: .412
Rubio 13/14 .422 14/15 .324

Edit #2 - I'm not sold on the way that stat reads; do they have anything better than that out there? There's got to be.
Otherwise, shouldn't it be something like (using an arbitrary generic #) :
(FTA / 1.9)/(FGA + (FTA/1.9)) ?

Right now if a guy has 1,000 FGA and shoots 400 FTs, then "free throw rate" makes it sound like he goes to the line 40% of his attempts. But if those FTs were 175 two-shot fouls (350 FTs), 25 and ones, and 25 total for flagrant and technical foul shots, then he actually had 200 trips to the line and 1175 FGA for a .170 free throw rate. If you used my generic calc, it'd be .174.

Maybe I'm messing this all up, somebody correct me if I am.

It isn't FT rate but stats/nba.com has personal fouls drawn. LeBron averaged 6.0 PFD per game last year. Rubio was at 3.8. .
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#465 » by mondry » Wed Jun 3, 2015 6:57 pm

Agreed, I think you can win a championship if Rubio is your 3rd best player and with Wiggins on board and the #1 pick that's exactly what should happen and if a developed Lavine / Bazz that reach their potential are your 4th and 5th best players that's down right DEEP.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#466 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:01 pm

You can win with Rubio for sure but I think you need a healthy offense around him and wings who can hit the deep ball for sure.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#467 » by C.lupus » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm more concerned with Rubio's health than his scoring, tbh. He really needs to put together a couple of full seasons. I'm getting mighty tired of not being able to count on players being able to suit up.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#468 » by Mattya » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:20 pm

He is the ultimate complementary player. He makes everyone he plays with better, but if you put the right pieces around him, then it can be special. If he ever improves his shooting and/or finishing to respectable levels and stays healthy, then we better hope we didn't trade him, because then we would look stupid pretty much no matter what we got in return for him.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#469 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:31 pm

I really hope Rubio stays too, and show to those guys on general board, or special, to the Raptors board (they have a stupid thread bashing Ricky Rubio in almost every post) how good he can be, special with more responsibility he will have.

In the few opportunities that we had to see Rubio this past season, we saw a player that can be our leader on the court, doesnt mean he has to be the best player to be our leader.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#470 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:46 pm

I think it's just out there because it's true. We would trade Rubio for the right deal, IMO. We aren't going to be shopping him, but if someone offers something crazy then we would sure consider moving him. He still has flaws, or we wouldn't be talking about any offers with him in it.

That said, I think he's going to be here for the long haul. Rubio - ? - Wiggins - ? - Towns with hopefully Lavine, Bazz, Dieng and one of Bennett/Payne developing into the other spots, and then our pick next season for our core. I think Lavine could be our starter at the 2, hopefully he develops his outside shot even more. Then Bazz at 6th man...then next season look to draft a PF early(or possibly sign a veteran stop-gap), and have Payne/Bennett develop into a good backup.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#471 » by Saltine » Wed Jun 3, 2015 8:32 pm

There is a lengthy, human transcribed, interview with Ricky over here;
http://www.canishoopus.com/2015/6/2/8717367/uno-contra-uno-daimiel-contra-ricky-rubio-a-translated-interview
This week, a journalist named Chad Ford said that people surrounding you have been asking for a trade. You have denied it, telling that you want to help grow Minnesota, the franchise that put its confidence in you.

Yes, I knew nothing about it. I called my agents to check if they know something, They said that is not true. They denied everything. There always be rumours.

Ok, it could be that there was nothing to publish and a journalist forged something but it could be some kind of interested leak from Minneapolis or any of the parts involved.

When a rumour pops up, not always, but normally there is something behind. Personally, what I know is that neither me or my agents have done it. I doubt that the franchise would like to leak this because they always have instilled me a lot of confidence. Talking to Flip Saunders, he would said it to me. I think we have a very good relationship, very good feeling and we have never talked anything about that.

For what I can say, it’s not true. But in this league, except Lebron and another three or four, everybody is tradeable. You never know. Kevin Love wanted to get out and Cleveland traded his #1 pick, which was very well regarded by the franchise. You never know, but I’m staying at Minnesota.
I want to ask you about several teammates. First, the Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins. We have talked about him before, you praised him. Have you confirmed all those good feelings about him? Is he going to be one of the greatest players of these next years?

Yes. Wiggins have proven one thing, especially at the end of the season, more adapted to the league, and it’s that he is made for the NBA. There are few players that can create his own shot. Harden is one, Lebron too, they are stars that shine in this league. He has proven that he is fearless and he is going to help us a lot.

He is going to be an All-Star, for sure, and maybe some day even MVP, and I hope I can lead this team along him to go very far.
Zach Lavine made himself known through the Dunk Contest and the he played a lot of minutes and played well, due to injuries. Are you compatible in the court?

Yes, I think so. We have talked about this a lot with the coach. They made him play as a PG at the beginning of the season, but I think that he is a natural SG.

I always like to play alongside another player who can handle the ball, and his physical skills made him a good match with my game. We can blend very well together.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#472 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jun 4, 2015 4:34 pm

That's interesting, he says it's difficult to trade because Rubio value is not very high right now.
But at same time he says the 6th pick could be appealing. So...

Probably were not entirely lie the rumors this week.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/606437157306298369[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/606438235234050049[/tweet]
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#473 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jun 4, 2015 5:48 pm

I hate these rumors. I want Rubio as our pg when we become a good team.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#474 » by urinesane » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:05 pm

Saltine wrote:There is a lengthy, human transcribed, interview with Ricky over here;
http://www.canishoopus.com/2015/6/2/8717367/uno-contra-uno-daimiel-contra-ricky-rubio-a-translated-interview
This week, a journalist named Chad Ford said that people surrounding you have been asking for a trade. You have denied it, telling that you want to help grow Minnesota, the franchise that put its confidence in you.

Yes, I knew nothing about it. I called my agents to check if they know something, They said that is not true. They denied everything. There always be rumours.

Ok, it could be that there was nothing to publish and a journalist forged something but it could be some kind of interested leak from Minneapolis or any of the parts involved.

When a rumour pops up, not always, but normally there is something behind. Personally, what I know is that neither me or my agents have done it. I doubt that the franchise would like to leak this because they always have instilled me a lot of confidence. Talking to Flip Saunders, he would said it to me. I think we have a very good relationship, very good feeling and we have never talked anything about that.

For what I can say, it’s not true. But in this league, except Lebron and another three or four, everybody is tradeable. You never know. Kevin Love wanted to get out and Cleveland traded his #1 pick, which was very well regarded by the franchise. You never know, but I’m staying at Minnesota.
I want to ask you about several teammates. First, the Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins. We have talked about him before, you praised him. Have you confirmed all those good feelings about him? Is he going to be one of the greatest players of these next years?

Yes. Wiggins have proven one thing, especially at the end of the season, more adapted to the league, and it’s that he is made for the NBA. There are few players that can create his own shot. Harden is one, Lebron too, they are stars that shine in this league. He has proven that he is fearless and he is going to help us a lot.

He is going to be an All-Star, for sure, and maybe some day even MVP, and I hope I can lead this team along him to go very far.
Zach Lavine made himself known through the Dunk Contest and the he played a lot of minutes and played well, due to injuries. Are you compatible in the court?

Yes, I think so. We have talked about this a lot with the coach. They made him play as a PG at the beginning of the season, but I think that he is a natural SG.

I always like to play alongside another player who can handle the ball, and his physical skills made him a good match with my game. We can blend very well together.

That was a great article.

People who don't like Rubio... I just can't understand it.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#475 » by Note30 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:14 pm

urinesane wrote:
Saltine wrote:There is a lengthy, human transcribed, interview with Ricky over here;

That was a great article.

People who don't like Rubio... I just can't understand it.

That's not why people want to move him, its because he's almost as bad as Pek when it comes to health. I love Rubio, have his jersey, watch fanmade mixes all the time, but if we get an offer for the 6th pick or the 4th pick, he's gone in my book. He can't stay healthy, and this is a business so I would expect Flip to take an offer like that. I want Rubio here if he can actually be on the court. He's just too inconsistent with his health, and I don't care that he can't shoot, so thats definitely not a reason..
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#476 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:30 pm

Note30 wrote:
That's not why people want to move him, its because he's almost as bad as Pek when it comes to health.

2 different situacions, Rubio doesnt have specific physical problems like Pek.

And another thing that people use a lot is about the games he played, is not as bad as people want to make.

1º Season: 41/66
2º Season: 57/82
3º Season: 82/82
4º Season: 22/82

Look, the 2º season he played all the games from the time he recovered from the injury he had in 1st season.
This season i dont know if this is true, im only saying this because it is what looks like IMO, but i think Flip Saunders took advantage (good decision) of how the season was going to sat down Rubio (to tank), I think he would have played many more games this season if was needed.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#477 » by Mattya » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:40 pm

The "he would have played more games this season if he wanted to" thing doesn't fly with me after he had surgery to fix whatever was hurting his ankle. He was legit injured and it didn't heal the way they wanted it to.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#478 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:53 pm

Those who think we should trade Rubio for No. 6, are you saying you want LaVine to be our longterm PG? Because that's exactly what would happen. I don't think Mudiay or Russell lasts to 6, no matter what DX says.

Or is your genius plan is to draft Tyus Jones at 6...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#479 » by urinesane » Thu Jun 4, 2015 8:23 pm

Klomp wrote:Those who think we should trade Rubio for No. 6, are you saying you want LaVine to be our longterm PG? Because that's exactly what would happen. I don't think Mudiay or Russell lasts to 6, no matter what DX says.

Or is your genius plan is to draft Tyus Jones at 6...

Rubio is a franchise PG when healthy. You don't trade him at his lowest value.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#480 » by C.lupus » Thu Jun 4, 2015 8:55 pm

Mattya wrote:The "he would have played more games this season if he wanted to" thing doesn't fly with me after he had surgery to fix whatever was hurting his ankle. He was legit injured and it didn't heal the way they wanted it to.

Yeah, Rubio said that himself.
I’m gonna ask you to give us a didactic explanation about your injury. At the beginning, it looked like a sprained ankle, then they said a severe sprain and you are out two months. Then you’re back and one month before the season ends you stop playing again. We learned that you were aching and had an exploratory arthroscopy, they named it, to clean it and take a look at the foot. Tell us about it.

I was injured on November 7 in Orlando. I sprained my ankle and I was aware that it was quite severe, because I was lying on the floor and they came to look after me and I saw Corey [Brewer].

Corey Brewer was looking at your ankle?

Yes, I saw Corey and he had a very nasty expression in his face and said some English words that I’m not going to repeat. Then I looked at my ankle and noticed it was already very swollen. It’s not usually that instantly swollen, in a matter of seconds. When I couldn’t land on my foot I knew it was very serious.

First we took it as a sprained ankle, but then we found that there were muscular problems. My big toe didn't have any strength and that extended the recovery. I focused on having a complete, and as fast as possible, recovery. I found out that I couldn’t recover when I wanted to, and I started to collect medical opinions, but they gave me the "OK" and, despite my nuisances, they told me that if I forced a bit, it could aggravate it.

I started to play, even when it bothered me.

So those 18 games, with some good ones like a triple-double, the injury was still bothering you?

Yes, I felt some light nuisances, but talking to the doctors we saw there wasn't anything to worry about, that things were not going to get worse. That was what convinced me to play.

At some points, the discomfort in my ankle was actually aggravating, especially after a hit I took in Oklahoma. I decide to stop, to see if stopping one or two weeks could get rid of those nuisances. While not receding, we got more aggressive and the call was made to get surgery done. It was my last resort, but I did it because we weren’t in the playoffs. The season was almost over and there was no need to force things.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves