Pekovic and his future in Minnesota

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Pekovic and his future in Minnesota 

Post#1 » by Jstock12 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey guys,

sorry for intrusion. I just want to say I really love your core of young players, my favorite one probably being Dieng. But Wiggins/LaVine can turn into really solid players as well. I think you guys might make some serious noise in a few years.

However... Pekovic seems like an odd man out to me. The guy is currently in his prime and his contract looks pretty darn good right now after the new TV deal announcement. Thing is, Wolves will need a few years to get it all together and they probably won't be contenders any time soon, so why keep Pek?

My question to you is: do you think Pekovic will/should get traded away to acquire more assets (young prospects / picks)?
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Re: Pekovic and his future in Minnesota 

Post#2 » by Note30 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:39 pm

We'd definitely resolve our wings issues first and wait for Pek to become trash before trading him. Besides Pek is by far the scariest person in the NBA, and Rubio's P&R receiver, doesn't do a whole lot of good to trade him while he's still **** scary.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#3 » by Jstock12 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:44 pm

Note30 wrote:We'd definitely resolve our wings issues first and wait for Pek to become trash before trading him. Besides Pek is by far the scariest person in the NBA, and Rubio's P&R receiver, doesn't do a whole lot of good to trade him while he's still **** scary.

Don't you think that selling high would be more beneficial to the team in long-term? Some teams might really use a guy like him and would probably be willing to offer some good assets in return. A rebuilding team like Wolves don't really need a guy like Pek who's already almost 29yo. By the time Wolves become contenders he could be 33-34. Trading him away would also give Dieng more playing time to improve.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#4 » by jpatrick » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:03 pm

I just don't know that Pek, who is starting a 5 yr 60m contract, has that much value around the league right now, and because he is a decent center, we're not going to pure salary dump him. Now, if OKC, who people on the trade board most like to connect to Pek, wanted to offer up Adams, Perkins' expiring, and maybe another asset, I'd love that move.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:23 pm

Pek is on the 2nd year of his deal, not just starting it. I'd consider trading him if we could get something good back, but I wouldn't salary dump him. Good centers are too hard to find for us to give him away.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#6 » by cpfsf » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:32 pm

he's not untouchable. it really depends on the package.

i just don't think he would get us anything that would help us. my prediction is that he would net us some future cap space and maybe a late first round pick. we'd probably blow our future cap space on another mediocre wing.

he's one of minnesota's best centers ever, and dieng and pekovic play at a combined $13.5 million. that is a little less than what rubio will be getting paid. both seem content with the roles they are in.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#7 » by Nitroglycerin » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:36 pm

jpatrick wrote:I just don't know that Pek, who is starting a 5 yr 60m contract, has that much value around the league right now, and because he is a decent center, we're not going to pure salary dump him. Now, if OKC, who people on the trade board most like to connect to Pek, wanted to offer up Adams, Perkins' expiring, and maybe another asset, I'd love that move.

Grits N Gravy approve this deal
Trust the PRosas!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#8 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:36 pm

If we were intentionally tanking like Milwaukee or Philadelphia, we would look to deal him. But we're not.

The team feels we can compete. Pekovic is just one of a solid group of vets that can help bridge the transition to the young guys.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#9 » by Basti » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:39 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Note30 wrote:We'd definitely resolve our wings issues first and wait for Pek to become trash before trading him. Besides Pek is by far the scariest person in the NBA, and Rubio's P&R receiver, doesn't do a whole lot of good to trade him while he's still **** scary.

Don't you think that selling high would be more beneficial to the team in long-term? Some teams might really use a guy like him and would probably be willing to offer some good assets in return. A rebuilding team like Wolves don't really need a guy like Pek who's already almost 29yo. By the time Wolves become contenders he could be 33-34. Trading him away would also give Dieng more playing time to improve.

Sure there are teams that could really use him and if the right offer came along the majority of this board wouldn't mind moving him. But that doesn't mean Flip should actively shop him. Also, Pek's game is not reliant on athleticism which means he should age rather well. The only thing that could be cause of concern is whether his body (specifically his ankles) will hold up as time goes on. But Flip has repeatedly said he's looking to reduce Pek's minutes this season in hopes to decrease the wear and tear on him.

Which in turn should and will open up minutes for Gorgui. And quite frankly, while he's certainly shown enough to be considered starting caliber talent, he's not quite there yet. He needs to bulk up before he can be an effective full time starter. Also, when it comes to post scoring, why shouldn't Gorgui learn from one of the best post scorers? Not to mention that having such a deep Center rotation is a valuable thing to have. There's absolutely no reason to trade Pek for the sake of trading him.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Basti » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:42 pm

Also, on a personal note: I want Pek to stay on the team at least until I've seen the Wolves play in an arena. Maybe, just maybe I can sneak to the bench and get a hug from that monstrous teddy bear. Even if he'll squeeze me to death.

#YOLO!
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#11 » by Sugarless » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:25 pm

Klomp wrote:If we were intentionally tanking like Milwaukee or Philadelphia, we would look to deal him. But we're not.

The team feels we can compete. Pekovic is just one of a solid group of vets that can help bridge the transition to the young guys.

Trading him doesn't necessarily mean we are tanking or becoming a worse team. It all depends on the return we get. If it's a better fit for the team both now and going forward, you go for it, just like you do with any player.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#12 » by Sugarless » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:28 pm

Basti wrote:Also, on a personal note: I want Pek to stay on the team at least until I've seen the Wolves play in an arena. Maybe, just maybe I can sneak to the bench and get a hug from that monstrous teddy bear. Even if he'll squeeze me to death.

#YOLO!

Wait, would that be all covered in sweat as well? I'd love to meet Pek, but I'm not so sure about that hug...
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Basti » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:36 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Basti wrote:Also, on a personal note: I want Pek to stay on the team at least until I've seen the Wolves play in an arena. Maybe, just maybe I can sneak to the bench and get a hug from that monstrous teddy bear. Even if he'll squeeze me to death.

#YOLO!

Wait, would that be all covered in sweat as well? I'd love to meet Pek, but I'm not so sure about that hug...

I really don't care.

#YOLO!
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#14 » by Streakers33 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:48 pm

This is a trade deadline convo.

If we are 6-9 seed... He stays and we push. If we at like 9-11 seed, then pek, Martin, brewer, and chase all become marketed. We know this. U notice I put 9th seed in there twice. Cuz I believe that is truly our cut off line to push or tank. Flip knows it.

Let's just keep going to the bounce house and watch the bounce bros have fun. Let's see how pek at 28 min a game does. Let's watch Thad and Bennett and see how well they work out.

Then. Only then. When we hit trade deadline, we notice our team.. We look at Phoenix, who may be an 8th seedish. And still have no bigs. We know mo is a band aid for us, so we need a back court guy. They have multiple pg and our pick to give back for pek..

Or all this okc talk, if they just coming back and they need a bigger big, they might work.

Watch any of the 5-9 seeds in both conferences. We literally have **** to help them compete.

I think we become a bubble teams fav team if we are bad this year. Brewer can easily help any bench rotation for playoff defense.. Martin is 2nd team sg's wet dream. And pek is a beast. And we would want youth and athleticism and picks.

Let's just hope we is good instead. And we can build flip his statue. Then we can avoid the who to keep and who to dump game.. But if it happens. Flip will pull trigger.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#15 » by AQuintus » Sat Nov 1, 2014 7:31 pm

Jstock12 wrote: so why keep Pek?

1) Why not? Having good Center depth is a luxury that I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have.

2) We just traded a pick for 26 year old Thad Young, this team isn't tanking or rebuilding, it's trying to win now, and it can.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#16 » by guest81 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 7:56 pm

The question posed as why don't they ship Pek for assets because they aren't winning anything anyway is so dumb because no one can seem to answer the following:

1. What assets are you exactly getting that would be better then Pek? You won't get a lottery pick for the guy, it would probably be a mid round pick at best, which is highly unlikely that they would turn out better then Pek.

2. Trading him for cap space to the Wolves can bring in someone better in free agency. The best free agent signings in the entire Timberwolves history is probably either AK47 or Kevin Martin. Good free agents aren't coming to Minnesota, none better then Pek.

3. It could stunt Dieng's growth. Right now Dieng will probably be around the 20-25 minute mark with Pek on the team. If Pek was gone, would the extra 5-10 minutes a game really develop him that quicker? You probably really don't want Dieng or most centers playing more then 35 minutes to risk injury especially with only Turiaf as a backup.

Peks got 4 years left on his deal. Dieng is due for an extension in 3 years. So when it's time to resign Dieng, then Pek is either a valuable expiring, or at the point where you can get him a lot less.

I thought a big difference between last years Wolves and playoff teams, was that in the playoffs people talked about how coaches could tinker their lineups in different series to get the best matchup, like a game of chess. With last years Wolves, there was no chess pieces, it was pretty much starting lineup or bust. It would be dumb to trade the depth at this point
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#17 » by PZiv » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:08 pm

Pek also seems to have a nice bond with Andrew Wiggins(maybe I am solo in this opinion but they seem to be buddies on-court and on bench). And f*** sake he makes a hell-of-a-awesome poster guy for the team in new 2k15 game.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#18 » by PZiv » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:22 pm

As a awesome poster guy I meant on this.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#19 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:56 pm

Streakers33 wrote:This is a trade deadline convo.

If we are 6-9 seed... He stays and we push. If we at like 9-11 seed, then pek, Martin, brewer, and chase all become marketed. We know this. U notice I put 9th seed in there twice. Cuz I believe that is truly our cut off line to push or tank. Flip knows it.

Let's just keep going to the bounce house and watch the bounce bros have fun. Let's see how pek at 28 min a game does. Let's watch Thad and Bennett and see how well they work out.

Then. Only then. When we hit trade deadline, we notice our team.. We look at Phoenix, who may be an 8th seedish. And still have no bigs. We know mo is a band aid for us, so we need a back court guy. They have multiple pg and our pick to give back for pek..

Or all this okc talk, if they just coming back and they need a bigger big, they might work.

Watch any of the 5-9 seeds in both conferences. We literally have **** to help them compete.

I think we become a bubble teams fav team if we are bad this year. Brewer can easily help any bench rotation for playoff defense.. Martin is 2nd team sg's wet dream. And pek is a beast. And we would want youth and athleticism and picks.

Let's just hope we is good instead. And we can build flip his statue. Then we can avoid the who to keep and who to dump game.. But if it happens. Flip will pull trigger.

I don't think we're going fire sale this year unless we're really bad, like 13th or 14th seed. If we're 10th or 11th, we probably ride it out.
If we do dump salary at the deadline I'd guess just 1 or 2 of Martin, Brewer, Budinger.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#20 » by Swish4 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 10:38 pm

Pek is hugely popular (no pun intended) in the Twin Cities. And considering what they'd be offered for him in a trade, I really don't see it happening. He's not the perfect fit with the new run and gun Wolves, but he's a damn good center, maybe the best low post scorer there is at the center position. So hard to find an elite center, and I consider him elite.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves