ImageImageImage

Game 4: Timberwolves (1-2) at Nets (6:30 p.m., FSN)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Re: Game 4: Timberwolves (1-2) at Nets (6:30 p.m., FSN) 

Post#481 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:31 pm

One thing I didn't think about before, but may be a pretty big plus for the Wolves is end of game situations.

A plus about not having Love is that he doesn't automatically get every shot in end of game situations. The other team can't just focus in on stopping him, because whether it's Pek, Thad, Kmart, Mo, or even Ricky. This team has a lot of options and different ways to attack at the end of games.

I really like that many games this year will have someone different step up to help get the win. The team is so well balanced they don't need one guy to put up huge numbers to win (like they did with Love).
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#482 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:53 pm

urinesane wrote:One thing I didn't think about before, but may be a pretty big plus for the Wolves is end of game situations.

This was actually brought up by Jim Petersen. I don't remember the exact stat, but Flip actually had one of the best records in close games when he was coaching here. Which is interesting, because wasn't a complaint about Garnett that he wasn't a closer?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#483 » by Basti » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:02 pm

Klomp wrote:
urinesane wrote:One thing I didn't think about before, but may be a pretty big plus for the Wolves is end of game situations.

This was actually brought up by Jim Petersen. I don't remember the exact stat, but Flip actually had one of the best records in close games when he was coaching here. Which is interesting, because wasn't a complaint about Garnett that he wasn't a closer?

From what I remember from that time is that while Garnett indeed wasn't really the go-to-scorer many had hoped for, he wasn't choking either. His biggest "problem" was that he often didn't take as many shots as he had earlier and defer to his teammates - at least according to several articles I read on this subject. I guess it's similar to the criticism LeBron went through until the won his 1st title. Some people are/have been way too quick to criticize any star for a lack of aggressiveness when I personally prefer the approach KG and Bron have - always look for the best shot a team can have when opposing teams close in on you in crunch time.

And, assuming the statement by Jim Pete is true, that kind of approach kind of works.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#484 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:15 pm

Not exactly what I was looking for (couldn't find the right spot on BallStreams), but found that Zach Harper did a writeup this preseason.

In games from when Flip Saunders took over coaching the Wolves in the 1995-96 season until he was fired during the 2004-05 season, the Wolves had the second best record in the NBA in contests decided by four points or less. They had a record of 92-63 in this stretch of games over nearly 10 full seasons, giving the Wolves a winning percentage of 59.3%. Only the Los Angeles Lakers’ record of 100-68 (59.5%) was more successful than Flip’s Wolves teams.

Harper brought up the Garnett factor, as well.

2. Yes, the Wolves had Kevin Garnett during this run, but remember KG didn’t have the best reputation in close games. In fact, his shooting numbers in clutch situations wasn’t very good, so it wasn’t just relying on a Hall of Famer to get things done and Flip sitting on the sidelines. He preached execution on the floor and the team executed quite well.

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2014/09 ... tch-again/
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#485 » by Basti » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:17 pm

Wow. That's really impressive and a great sign for the future. Thanks for posting that information.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#486 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:33 am

What's weird tho is that I thought Brewer will play better as a sixth man like in Denver.
Trust the PRosas!
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#487 » by criteriado » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:47 am

Just rewatched the game..I actually liked Wiggins defense on Joe on the 4th. He forced him into tough shots and he didn't foul him. That's what you need to do in this league.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#488 » by Klomp » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:57 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:What's weird tho is that I thought Brewer will play better as a sixth man like in Denver.

Could be that he's struggling because we've been at a slower pace in these early games.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,458

Post#489 » by Foye » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:03 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:What's weird tho is that I thought Brewer will play better as a sixth man like in Denver.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that he is struggling to adapt to Flip's midrange offense.

I think or at least hope he'll get into rhythm sooner than later because for all his flaws he is a better basketball player than Budinger & Muhammad.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#490 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:05 am

Klomp wrote:

Could be that he's struggling because we've been at a slower pace in these early games.

Yep. He's at his best in transition and we haven't had as much of that, mainly due to playing Memphis, Chicago, and Brooklyn.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#491 » by southern wolf » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:20 am

cynskeptical wrote:
cojayar wrote:
southern wolf wrote:
Second time we've been there too. Must be a lot of Spanish/Rubio fans in Mexico. Lets hope the arena doesn't catch fire this time.

Spanish fans in Mexico? So much as English fans in Canada?

...Or Australian fans in USA :banghead:

I'm just trying to figure out why they'd send us there two seasons in a row. The main language in Mexico is Spanish is it not? So they're bound to have quite a few fans of the Spanish players. I didn't mean to offend any Spaniards lol.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#492 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:31 am

southern wolf wrote:
cynskeptical wrote:
cojayar wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out why they'd send us there two seasons in a row. The main language in Mexico is Spanish is it not? So they're bound to have quite a few fans of the Spanish players. I didn't mean to offend any Spaniards lol.

I think it's more insulting that they've had us be the "home" team both years when both opposing teams were from TEXAS.

That's messed up.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,357

Post#493 » by Calinks » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:05 am

Agree. That's like the Rockets playing us in Winnipeg and being the home team.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
cynskeptical
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#494 » by cynskeptical » Fri Nov 7, 2014 6:26 am

southern wolf wrote:
cynskeptical wrote:
cojayar wrote:

For most of Latin-Americans, the Spaniards are The Conquistadores, those that stole the gold and the women. Even though 80% of Mexicans are mestizos, the Spanish don´t arouse so many sympathies there.
On the other hand, you might be right about Rubio. Once that a Spanish guy is successful in USA, becomes a Latino. It´s something like a belonging syndrome.
I hope it's Flanders
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#495 » by Murphs56 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 7:39 am

Brewer is struggling bc of the inconsistency in the minutes imo. He's a streaky dude in shooting, ball handling and finishing
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#496 » by Ice32 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 10:16 am

People here are also quick to forget, that it was only 8 regular season games ago that Brewer scored 51 points in a game. If anyone has confidence in their own abilities, its certainly Brewer ; )
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#497 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:05 pm

southern wolf wrote:
cynskeptical wrote:
cojayar wrote:

The only reason we've gone there two years in a row is because Glen Taylor is willing to sacrifice a home game (for $500K or whatever it is the NBA compensates the Wolves - and for the global growth of the game). Most other teams have better attendance and clear more at home games than the Wolves - and don't want to sacrifice the home court advantage for a game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by Klomp » Fri Nov 7, 2014 3:53 pm

BTW we ended up not losing a home game last year. I think Taylor wanted to see this through.

Ralnor
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 545

Post#499 » by Ralnor » Fri Nov 7, 2014 4:17 pm

Ice32 wrote:People here are also quick to forget, that it was only 8 regular season games ago that Brewer scored 51 points in a game. If anyone has confidence in their own abilities, its certainly Brewer ; )

Yeah but those 8 regular games ago were a while ago, like 210 days ago. But, if any one can go off it would be Brewer.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves