ImageImageImage

How Are Wiggins and Bennett Looking So Far?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

How Are Wiggins and Bennett Looking So Far? 

Post#1 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:59 pm

As a Cavs fan, yes a Cavs fan for a long long time, how are they looking so far?

I always felt bad for Bennett, really had some misfortune and then before he could redeem himself here he was shipped off.

Wiggins, I was really hesitant for quite some time on Cleveland trading him for Love, ultimately I gave in and so far have been happy with it obviously, but how has the young lad been so far?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: How Are Wiggins and Bennett Looking So Far? 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:00 am

Wiggins is solid, Bennett isn't getting enough minutes. Both Dieng and Bennett should be playing more and Young/Pek less.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#3 » by PZiv » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:50 am

Shortly said, they are going uptempo the way that Cleveland is consolidating itself. It will take some time to crystalize, so far so good.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#4 » by Swish4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:03 am

Wiggins' rookie year is reminding me of Garnett's rookie year. Just needs strength, work and experience to become a star.

Bennett's been stuck behind Thad so far and rightly so, but he's shown good flashes and will be a quality player in time, a solid rotational big at the least, in time.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#5 » by Tirion » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:09 am

well they are looking better than the Heat three-peat, I'll tell you that.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#6 » by urinesane » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Wiggins is solid, Bennett isn't getting enough minutes. Both Dieng and Bennett should be playing more and Young/Pek less.

Young shouldn't be playing less. He is the 2nd best player on the team (and not just because they are a bad/young team).

He deserves to start and play a lot of minutes for this team, because even though we want the young guys to develop, Young is pretty damn good right now and could actually be with the team long term (he also sets a very good example for the younger guys with how he plays and carries himself). His style of play should be rewarded, not put on the back burner (HE IS ONLY 26!).

Bennett will get more play, his minutes being less has mostly had to do with his sore right knee, he played well before that and was given minutes. Yes, the team is young and Bennett should get more run with Rubio out, but it's a long season and they will earn more minutes as the season progresses. You can't force development and even though people always default to "not enough playing time = stunting possible development" what is just as true if not more is "too much playing time and responsibilities early for a player can be even more detrimental to their development".

I know we are used to questioning everything FO wise with this franchise, but believe it or not, Flip actually does know what he is doing. He's being very methodical and proactive in the development of this team's youth. So far he has been the anti-Adelman and understands that while you do need to develop young players (which he is doing) you also need to compete, because meaningless blowout losses does not help development...learning how to compete and win games DOES.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#7 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 am

Gotcha. I really think Bennett is going to pan out to be a good player. Maybe never an all-star or anything, but a solid contributor. I was actually one of the few people who was happy the Cavaliers took him, but obviously he was worth unloading for a player of Love's caliber.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#8 » by Domejandro » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:24 am

Heat3Peat wrote:As a Cavs fan, yes a Cavs fan for a long long time, how are they looking so far?

I always felt bad for Bennett, really had some misfortune and then before he could redeem himself here he was shipped off.

Wiggins, I was really hesitant for quite some time on Cleveland trading him for Love, ultimately I gave in and so far have been happy with it obviously, but how has the young lad been so far?

Andrew Wiggins is clearly going to be a superstar. It is really inevitable that he will go down as the best from the last draft. He is that good, he just needs time.

Anthony Bennett has flashes of complete brilliance in his passing ability and ball-handling. I really like him on that regard. I do have concerns about both his health, and his effort at times though. Sometimes he works hard, but when he gets tired he seems to get somewhat lazy. That is why he rightfully loses some minutes.

Anthony Bennett dunks like Shaquille O'Neal though, so that is a positive, haha.
Junior
And1: 112

Post#9 » by ... » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:57 pm

It's always hard for me to place the "superstar" or "brilliant" or "future all-star" tag on anyone who has played only a handful of NBA games (this is for both Wiggins and Bennett). They are both long term projects who are starting out well. Wiggins is slowly showing what his potential can be with his increased aggressiveness. Bennett's long jumper can and will serve him well if he can be consistent with it. It will open up his game quite a bit. So far I am satisfied with both and their development. I hope I am just as optimistic about the 2015-2016 season as I am about the remainder of this season as it pertains to their maturation.
rebelx
Junior
And1: 69

Post#10 » by rebelx » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:10 am

... wrote:....Bennett's long jumper can and will serve him well if he can be consistent with it. It will open up his game quite a bit. So far I am satisfied with both and their development. I hope I am just as optimistic about the 2015-2016 season as I am about the remainder of this season as it pertains to their maturation.

Bennett's freshman year at UNLV, the Rebels had one of the top combo/shooting guard freshman as well...Katin Reinhardt...Reinhardt got 30mpg and was allowed to shoot any shot, any where any time...but inexplicably left to get more PG time guaranteed to him at USC....but that's another story for another day....

Anyway, Reinhardt was considered one of the top pure shooters out there...and that title was deserved, he had a beautiful shot and hit it for a high clip.

However, it was noted by many an insider that Katin could beat anybody on the team in a 3pt contest...EXCEPT for Anthony Bennett. When I initially heard this, it was before their freshman years' had started, and none of Bennett's mix tapes, nor the times I saw him play live at Findlay, gave me any indication that he'd be a good outside shooter....however, from game one, it was evident that was a very strong part of his game.

Anyway...from the arc Bennett ended up 36 of 96 (37.5%) and Reinhardt 65 of 185 (35.1%).... I do think his shooting is something that will always be a strength of Bennett's. If he can focus on getting points near the rim too, it will only allow him to stretch the floor even more.
AttackTheRack
Junior
And1: 82

Post#11 » by AttackTheRack » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:47 am

Wiggins looks unreal to me. Don't care about psychological assessments on a 19 year old kid. Don't care about mistakes at the end of games. Don't care about advanced analytics. Don't care about comparisons with peers. Care only about tools. Tools, bitches! Kid has them. ALL. Well, I guess he can't dribble yet, but he's still learning how to play the **** game of basketball. Needs time. When he learns to dribble, which he will - Totally Unstoppable.
ValHoffa
Junior
And1: 343

Post#12 » by ValHoffa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:41 pm

the second coming of….

but really…

C) JONAS VALANCIUNAS/steven adams/mitch mcgrary
F) KYLE OQUINN tyler hansbrough/anthony bennett
F) DEMAR DEROZAN/rodney hood/pj tucker
G) VICTOR OLADIPO/josh richardson/norman powell
G) KYLE LOWRY/jordan clarkson/jamal murray/elfrid payton
djeros612
Junior
And1: 83

Post#13 » by djeros612 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Bennett destroys rims like I haven't seen in a long time .

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves