ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#1241 » by Mattya » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Martin alone isn't bringing back a lotto pick. I want to trade up for Tyus Jones. I doubt Kaminsky falls that far.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#1242 » by jpatrick » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm sure I'm in the extreme minority, but I would move Lavine for a mid-lotto pick and take Hezonja. I think he's got a chance to be a more athletic Klay Thompson, which is a perfect compliment to Rubio and Wiggins on the perimeter. Lavine has a crazy high ceiling, it just seems like there is something missing and I'm not convinced he's a starter on a great team.

Of course I'd rather move something like Dieng and Shabazz for that pick and keep Lavine, but I don't think that'll get it done.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1243 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:54 pm

I rather go with Shabazz as 6th man, and trade Lavine.

If i had to chose.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,942

Post#1244 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 pm

mercgold3 wrote:I rather go with Shabazz as 6th man, and trade Lavine.

If i had to chose.

I don't think there's a need to choose, though
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#1245 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:I rather go with Shabazz as 6th man, and trade Lavine.

If i had to chose.

I don't think there's a need to choose, though

Yeah, but...
If the right trade shows up.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1246 » by Mattya » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm not sure how LaVine and Hezonja would get a long. After Hezonja said LaVine's dunks were no big deal. I think Hezonja's attitude will make him a good player, but I also think it could be a distraction.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#1247 » by C.lupus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Mattya wrote:I'm not sure how LaVine and Hezonja would get a long. After Hezonja said LaVine's dunks were no big deal. I think Hezonja's attitude will make him a good player, but I also think it could be a distraction.

I suspect LaVine would put a quick end to the slam dunk trash talking. But, yeah, the attitude concerns me a little bit. There's a fine line between good cockiness and being an arrogant a**. I like LaVine's cockiness, not sure about Hezonja. Sometimes those things get blown out of proportion due to the language issues so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but...
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#1248 » by mondry » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:48 pm

jpatrick wrote:I'm sure I'm in the extreme minority, but I would move Lavine for a mid-lotto pick and take Hezonja. I think he's got a chance to be a more athletic Klay Thompson, which is a perfect compliment to Rubio and Wiggins on the perimeter. Lavine has a crazy high ceiling, it just seems like there is something missing and I'm not convinced he's a starter on a great team.

Of course I'd rather move something like Dieng and Shabazz for that pick and keep Lavine, but I don't think that'll get it done.

If we fell to the dreaded 4th pick I could see that, I like Hezonja a lot from what I've seen. I do think Lavine has a chance to be really special but if we can't get okafor or towns it might make the most sense for the team overall.
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Post#1249 » by firyGM » Sat May 2, 2015 1:04 pm

Why not?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kdtemby

Pek+Martin+1st Pick to Kings
Cousins - McLemore (or anyone) to Wolves.

Kings like Martin, George Karl coach doesn't like much Cousins and our 1st Pick it's so attractive.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Re: Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#1250 » by minimus » Sat May 2, 2015 2:25 pm

firyGM wrote:Why not?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kdtemby

Pek+Martin+1st Pick to Kings
Cousins - McLemore (or anyone) to Wolves.

Kings like Martin, George Karl coach doesn't like much Cousins and our 1st Pick it's so attractive.

Yeah. It's very good deal for MIN. Not so much for SAC, they eat Pek contract, they trade top 5 center in NBA, who never played with true, unselfish PG. I'd do it even if we include our 2nd round picks and replace McLemore with Stauskas.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#1251 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat May 2, 2015 8:50 pm

I just want absolutely nothing to do with Cousins, Tremendous talent but way to much baggage that comes along with it, no thanks.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#1252 » by PZiv » Sat May 2, 2015 9:47 pm

Just. Get. Hibbert.
Like seriously. Lets solve our rim protection for once.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#1253 » by Note30 » Sun May 3, 2015 4:58 am

EDIT: I may still add to this post, I have given it quite some thought.
I was going to make a thread entitled "How to Solve the Wolves Problems" but I felt like this would be where it eventually ended up. I daydream quite a bit about the Wolves, and run tons of scenarios through my mind constantly. After daydreaming of a way to solve all of the Wolves problems in one offseason, I think I finally came up that might work. A lot of these require things go our way, so what the hell, its a day dream. Also its not entirely impossible, and I think it might be worth the read.

I broke down the offseason into six steps each dependent on the previous, although some could be stand alone. Step Two and Three would have to occur within the same week in order to make the process actually happen, its possible with the CBA that reversing the process or even flipping it maybe necessary.

Step One: Draft Karl Anthony Towns or Jahlil Okafor. Obviously this is all up to luck, but who knows we could get lucky! Arguments are brewing back and forth on the prospects board, but honestly both prospects will affect the franchises they go to at quite a high level. I'm somewhat impartial (I prefer Okafor but only slightly) , but I will list KAT as the one we draft because of this board's majority vote towards KAT.

Step Two: We sign Draymond Green for the max. We have a solid need for a defensive player and I think Green could be the answer, he does all the little things, has the glue guy quality, is a top level defensive player and can hit the 3. This would be pricey but necessary. The wolves haven't played good defense in the last 5+ years, and we could really use it even at this cost.

Step Three: Trim the fat off this team, a lot of people seem to be fine with this here on the boards, and this is actually my biggest issue to be honest. Building a culture around the Wolves should be done with the intention that these players have the possibility of staying here for a while. Obviously that may not be the case due to our contracts situation, but this is one of the most important things to get done in the offseason. We all have a general idea of why we might want Pekovic gone, and for me its the awkwardness of the situation especially if we draft Towns or Okafor. The biggest contract is obviously Pek's and I think I have a way to trade for him. We unprotect the 2016 pick to the top 5 and send Pek to BOS to be absorbed via TPE (pretty much all but guaranteeing BOS our pick). A hefty price to pay but worth it possibly. In addition we send Bennett & Budinger over to BOS for Gerald Wallace. Include the #31 as well.

Step Four: Solve the backup PG problem and add depth. I think the two best candidates here would be Norris Cole and Corey Joseph, I prefer Cole to Joseph. We need a point guard who can be comfortable with 18 minutes a game and can play defense, while running a basic P&R or other sets. Cole fits the bill and he has championship experience. Great candidate. I think the second part to this would be to add KJ McDaniels, a guy who can play great defense and is a good investment. This step would also serve as the buffer in case injuries occur, which with our history is entirely plausible.

Step Five: This maybe the most important step, hiring Hoiberg and Malone. A coach makes or breaks a team, and I think Hoiberg has all the tools for the position. And if we clean up the team to this amount we could be looking like a team he'd have fun coaching. The second step to this would be getting Malone to setup his defensive system here. Malone was the best assistant coach in the NBA before he transitioned, and I'm sure he'll be really helpful to the Wolves. In the starting five I have listed below, every player besides Shabazz is capable of dishing out assists well, and using Hoiberg's system could make this whole system flow quite well.

Step 6: Setup things for the future. Trading Kevin Martin. We need to find a buyer for KMart who would be willing to deal a 2017 pick so that we have some assets in case things go horribly wrong. Add in the extra 2nd to make it work.

Why I think this plan is awesome: KG, Wallace are both great locker room guys to help straighten out this team. Malone could tame Cousins he can definitely set the tone for some of the younger guys. We free up time for Wiggins Bazz and LaVine to get significant minutes. Our team becomes much more balanced and may turn into the best defensive team that we have ever had.

We end up with:

Ricky Rubio (30) / Norris Cole (18)/ Lorenzo Brown
Andrew Wiggins (22) /Zach LaVine (26)
Shabazz Muhammed (26)/ Andrew Wiggins (12) / KJ McDaniels (10) /Robbie Hummel
Draymond Green (34)/ Kevin Garnett (14)/ Gerald Wallace
Karl Anthony Towns (28) / Gorgui Dieng (20)/Adriean Payne

Maybe the rotation I have set below might not be to some people's liking but Shabazz and LaVine play the same amount of minutes, where either could start. I know that Shabazz is amazing off the bench so it might be best to keep him there. Who knows, some variation of the minutes played in this sort of setup would be beneficial, I just listed the depth chart to give an idea.

Average age of rotations players playing 20 minutes +: 22.38 with the potential to play together for 10-13 years = possible dynasty.

Coach: Fred Hoiberg, assistant Coach: Mike Malone

And just as Wiggins desired, we make the playoffs for the first time in 12 years. With KG and Wiggins playing together, the past and the future, that would make for the most poetic story in franchise history.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rednal
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#1254 » by rednal » Sun May 3, 2015 9:42 am

PZiv wrote:Just. Get. Hibbert.
Like seriously. Lets solve our rim protection for once.

If Minny takes Hibert who's gonna take in the draft?

I like the idea of trade Pek+Martin for a player who can catch and shoot and get Hibert.

A frontcourt with

Towns/Bjelica
KG
Hibert/Dieng

will solve all the problems in rim protection that minny has, and with a PG like Ricky won't be any problem in frontcourt offensive.

PS: sorry about my english, I'm from Spain and I'm working on it!
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1255 » by minimus » Sun May 3, 2015 11:56 am

Don't like Hibbert idea at all. Unless Pacers take back Pek contract. But I doubt they will do it. Hibbert is not long term solution, because of his contract. Also Indiana had the entire defensive scheme that was built on physicality, see series vs MIA. George, Stephenson, West, Hill. Hibbert was only part of defence. I'd rather have mobile big man like Towns or offensive talent like Okafor, then immobile, offensive liability like Hibbert.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#1256 » by They_Them_Hatin » Sun May 3, 2015 4:42 pm

What would you guys want to trade down if you miss out on Towns or Okafor? Is a Lotto pick (9) this year, future 1st (top 3) and an expirings for Pek and a salary dump of Budinger good enough or at least a starting point?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1257 » by Mattya » Sun May 3, 2015 5:13 pm

ntsap wrote:What would you guys want to trade down if you miss out on Towns or Okafor? Is a Lotto pick (9) this year, future 1st (top 3) and an expirings for Pek and a salary dump of Budinger good enough or at least a starting point?

So we sucked all year to clear up salary and put us out of range of all the bigs who could help us in this draft?
Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

Post#1258 » by Northern hoops » Mon May 4, 2015 12:57 am

ntsap wrote:What would you guys want to trade down if you miss out on Towns or Okafor? Is a Lotto pick (9) this year, future 1st (top 3) and an expirings for Pek and a salary dump of Budinger good enough or at least a starting point?

Pek Bud 3 or 4 for Al Vonleh and 9
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#1259 » by Saltine » Mon May 4, 2015 2:35 am

I'd just take Russell.
We are on track to be $68 million under the cap in 2017, with Peks deal on the books.
$40 million under in 2016, with Peks deal and dumping Bennett. The cap isn't really an issue, I'm not sure why some of you think it is. The tax line is almost $20 million above the cap, plenty of cash available in the future, with Pek, or without.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YE4QpTdqmDMzZoV57YEVdovpMkzneEs6lSBszYxM-Q/edit?f=true&noheader=false&gid=19#gid=19

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves