Lorenzo Brown

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Re: Lorenzo Brown 

Post#21 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm okay with this. Would prefer a vet but its also nice to give the kid another look. Not sure what vet PG's are out there
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#22 » by urinesane » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:04 pm

I kind of like this move.

I didn't mind Brown when he was with the Wolves in Summer League, but with Rubio/Barea/Shved it would have been tough for him to develop with the Wolves. Glad to see he has been putting in work and looks like he has improved his game quite a bit.

Will be nice to see someone that actually is a PG play for the Wolves with Ricky out.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#23 » by minimus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:18 am

Brown has improved his jumpshoot. He was bad shooter when MIN drafted him. He is not lock down defender. But he's got size and good court vision. It's good too see him developing floater as as he was pretty bad finisher. I think that Flip tries to find talent more than temporary solution at PG.

Meanwhile in MIL
The Milwaukee Bucks, Charlotte Hornets and Philadelphia 76ers are exploring the call-up candidacy of Gary Talton, the NBA Development League’s assists leader, league sources told RealGM.
Behind 13 games of 10 or more assists, Talton has averaged 13.2 points, 10.2 assists and 40.6 percent three-point shooting this season. He has split the year with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, his current team.
Talton had two 20-assist performances earlier in the season with Rio Grande Valley, where he was surrounded by a bevy of shooters to feed passes. The 6-foot-1 point guard has notched double-doubles in three of his last five games with Fort Wayne.
Talton, 24, finished his collegiate career at UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago), averaging 12.3 points, 4.4 assists, four rebounds and 34.4 minutes per game as a senior. He went unselected in the 2013 NBA Draft, followed by free-agent workouts for teams, including the Memphis Grizzlies.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#24 » by Killboard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:31 am

I hope no more minutes for bud. With lavine and thad going to get minutes with wiggins at the wing and bazz and martin returning.
If lobro is decent we can sign him for the next year with a bargain deal, release bud and pass bud last year of money to open a slot.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#25 » by Narf » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:41 am

Killboard wrote:I hope no more minutes for bud. With lavine and thad going to get minutes with wiggins at the wing and bazz and martin returning.
If lobro is decent we can sign him for the next year with a bargain deal, release bud and pass bud last year of money to open a slot.

His last year is not our option. He gets that if we release him.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#26 » by Killboard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:57 am

Narf wrote:
Killboard wrote:I hope no more minutes for bud. With lavine and thad going to get minutes with wiggins at the wing and bazz and martin returning.

His last year is not our option. He gets that if we release him.

Yes I know. I try to say that if brown can defend the p&r and shoot the 3 we can sign him for next year and release bud. A good contract can ammend in part the fact of pay bud corpse but at least he will not be using a roster slot.
minimus
RealGM

Post#27 » by minimus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 am

The Milwaukee Bucks are planning to sign Jorge Gutierrez to a 10-day contract this week.

I remember Jorge gave hard time opponent PG, he was very active in defense, looked great as 3rd backup PG.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#28 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:19 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:I don't like it. We need a vet, not a sophomore.

We need a guy who can defend from the PG position. Mo is a vet, what another one like him?

I'm thinking of a vet who controls the pace and executes plays at PG, not a pseudo PG Mo is. Expecting more than chaos offensively (and defensively to a degree) from a sophomore of Brown's pedigree is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
funfactor
Junior
And1: 76

Post#29 » by funfactor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:18 am

I like it!
Let's be honest. We need a PG and if he's cheap and young and familiar with the organization even better.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,941

Post#30 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:24 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Expecting more than chaos offensively (and defensively to a degree) from a sophomore of Brown's pedigree is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

And yet everyone was convinced that sophomore Wolters would be the answer.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#31 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Wolters is better than Brown. And I do expect an improvement from a 24 year old sophomore PG over a 19 year old rookie SG. And, no, he doesn't have to be Ricky Rubio. Effort on D and semi-accurate, timely passes would go a long way.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,941

Post#32 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/560492168042016768[/tweet]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#33 » by minimus » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:13 am

I like his confidence and handles. He missed a few easy shots vs CLE but his defense was good. Also he has some creativity with the ball, he is able to create his own shot. He clearly lacks strength which results in badly missed shots at rim. It is still not clear for me if he can shoot the ball consistently. If he can, then I'd give 2 year contract (2nd year is team option) without any doubts
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#34 » by theGreatRC » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:27 am

I'm not saying this because of how well he has played for us, but when he was cut last year I was disappointed. Great size, handles, vision and defense..would've been a great backup behind Ricky...let's see what happens now that Rubes is back
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by urinesane » Mon Feb 2, 2015 10:13 am

I'd be happy to see what he can do the rest of this year, if he's solid, Mo becomes expendable since LoBro would be a better backup for this team for the future.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#36 » by guest81 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:47 pm

urinesane wrote:I'd be happy to see what he can do the rest of this year, if he's solid, Mo becomes expendable since LoBro would be a better backup for this team for the future.

Eh with Wolves point guards dropping like flies and literally anyone who can handle the ball on the team is injured in some way (even one time backup PG Robbie Hummel!), It'd probably be better just to hang onto Mo, rather then just dumping him for a late second round pick or a trade exemption, which would both just go into Glen's pocketbook anyway
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#37 » by C.lupus » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:01 pm

Yeah, there isn't much point in trading Mo. The return will be minimal and he's an expiring contract anyway. Keep him and see what they all look like in the roles they were suppose to have this year - Rubio starting PG, Mo backup PG/SG, Brown backup PG, LaVine backup SG. Mo is going to miss some more games and Martin probably will, too.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by urinesane » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:14 pm

guest81 wrote:
urinesane wrote:I'd be happy to see what he can do the rest of this year, if he's solid, Mo becomes expendable since LoBro would be a better backup for this team for the future.

Eh with Wolves point guards dropping like flies and literally anyone who can handle the ball on the team is injured in some way (even one time backup PG Robbie Hummel!), It'd probably be better just to hang onto Mo, rather then just dumping him for a late second round pick or a trade exemption, which would both just go into Glen's pocketbook anyway

Not saying they should dump Mo now. Just saying if Brown can keep playing like he has, he would be a fine backup to Ricky in the future (i.e. next year). I also think it would be nice to keep consistency between the 1st and 2nd unit and having PGs that play a similar style would be a good thing.

I know people like the idea of a spark plug JJ/Mo player, but your 2nd unit is often how you develop young guys, so I'd like to see someone like Brown in that PG spot in the future. He adds stability to the offense and defense, which helps the young guys build their game through more structured play. When you have spark plug types handling the ball on the 2nd unit, you tend to live and die as a 2nd unit with their play.

Not only do you get more consistent team oriented play from your 2nd unit with a facilitator at PG, but you also help 2nd unit guys transition to the starting lineup or play with different rotations, because you aren't changing the play style from one unit to another.

It's similar to the concept of having your own D-League team so you can run the same system. Having that consistency between units helps build an overall team style of play.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#39 » by guest81 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:32 pm

urinesane wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Not saying they should dump Mo now. Just saying if Brown can keep playing like he has, he would be a fine backup to Ricky in the future (i.e. next year). I also think it would be nice to keep consistency between the 1st and 2nd unit and having PGs that play a similar style would be a good thing.

I know people like the idea of a spark plug JJ/Mo player, but your 2nd unit is often how you develop young guys, so I'd like to see someone like Brown in that PG spot in the future. He adds stability to the offense and defense, which helps the young guys build their game through more structured play. When you have spark plug types handling the ball on the 2nd unit, you tend to live and die as a 2nd unit with their play.

Not only do you get more consistent team oriented play from your 2nd unit with a facilitator at PG, but you also help 2nd unit guys transition to the starting lineup or play with different rotations, because you aren't changing the play style from one unit to another.

It's similar to the concept of having your own D-League team so you can run the same system. Having that consistency between units helps build an overall team style of play.

I think you have to set your sights higher for a backup point guard then Brown, especially in the West and due to the injuries the Wolves have had. You could probably do worse then Brown, but you can also do a lot better
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by urinesane » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:35 pm

guest81 wrote:
urinesane wrote:
guest81 wrote:

I think you have to set your sights higher for a backup point guard then Brown, especially in the West and due to the injuries the Wolves have had. You could probably do worse then Brown, but you can also do a lot better

Probably, but as far as potential future back up PGs for the Wolves Brown > Mo.

Don't sleep on Brown, he has made big strides in his game since last year and he basically shut down Kyrie Irving while playing nearly 48 minutes in his 3rd game with the Wolves.

That's pretty damn impressive out of a 2nd year player fresh out of the D-League on a 10 day contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves