ImageImageImage

Zgoda: Adreian Payne is next (AJC: Payne for future 1st)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Re: Zgoda: Adreian Payne is next (AJC: Payne for future 1st) 

Post#201 » by wildvikeswolves » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:29 am

I think at the least he will be a good back up PF for us. He should really help our rebounding at the PF position and provide great energy. I'm gonna trust Flip on this, he's earned it so far

I wonder if he plays tomorrow? Interested to see how he does after being given a chance.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Re: Zgoda: Adreian Payne is next 

Post#202 » by simon24 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:43 am

mercgold3 wrote:I remember reports from last year saying that we were really high on A.Payne going to the draft.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/mi ... out-061414

Wow I had no idea. It's just weird they got Bennett too. I wonder what their plans are long-term.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#203 » by the_bruce » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:13 am

Not sure why everyone is so up in arms about a future lotto pick for a guy this talented who fits great with team needs.

Payne is like a better rebounding more athletic Anthony Tolliver with hustle, heart, and a post game. He started out as a C at mich, and transformed himself into a talented jack of all trades pf. Look at another guy from mich who went for 4 years in draymond green, he's been playing well this season. A sign of good things to come!
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#204 » by GopherIt! » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:31 am

This makes the Bjelica situation more interesting.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#205 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 am

I feel like Bennett will be traded this summer. Payne can replicate Bennett's production for a fraction of the price

Bennett: $5,563,920 / $5,803,560 / $7,318,289 (TO) / $9,513,776 (QuO)
Payne: $1,855,320 / $1,938,840 / $2,022,240 (TO) / $3,100,094 (TO) / $4,333,931 (QuO)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#206 » by Feilong » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:56 am

C.lupus wrote:Minnesota's 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections in 1-14 in 2017 (conveyable only if Minnesota conveys a 1st round pick to Boston in 2015), 1-14 in 2018, 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if Minnesota has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Atlanta by 2020, then Minnesota will instead convey its 2020 2nd round pick and 2021 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Minnesota, 2/10/2015]

OK, finally some info.
Best case we give 2 2nd to ATL.
Worst case we give a non-lottery 1st.
Oh, boy. Before the draft MIN was projected to pick between Stauskas, McDermott, Young, Lavine, Harris and Payne
I watched them in a few games before the draft and my order was. Stauskas, Harris, Mcdermott, Lavine, Young, Payne.
I was low on Payne before the draft and because he hasn't played this year i continue to be low on him.
I hope he becomes a good backup PF and i will cheer for him when i see him in MIN's jersey.
But i have to say i think it is an overpay.
ATL needed a roster spot for R.Allen, they don't need Payne and we are to pay such a price? Doesn't seem right.
Flip has done some good and some bad decisions.
Good was the Bazz, Gorgui trade... it could be a better one (Giannis, Adams) but it was a great trade.
Giving MIA's 1st for Young was a good decision. Giving MIA's 1st instead of Bennett was a terrible decision and i posted it many times before the trade happened.
Getting Wiggins for Love was awesome, but getting LMM for D-Will was a terrible one, especially when he declined WAS offer Ariza for D-Will.
Drafting Lavine was good, but drafting Lavine because he thinks he is a PG was a bad one.
So what i am saying is that Flip has done some good and some bad decisions and i am not trusting blindly what he does.
I hope he saw something in Payne that justifies this overpay.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#207 » by LordBaldric » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:18 am

LaVine and Payne were the two stupidest draft picks we were considering last summer, and now we have both of them. Thanks Flip! I bet Jeff Adrien is better than Payne easily, and now we are overloaded at the PF spot. Meanwhile, Zach has been god awful. We can only pray for a Shabazz like transformation, except Bazz seems like a pretty smart dude while LaVine is a blockhead.

Oh well, Flip. Thanks for getting Wiggins.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#208 » by PZiv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:23 am

Feilong wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Minnesota's 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections in 1-14 in 2017 (conveyable only if Minnesota conveys a 1st round pick to Boston in 2015), 1-14 in 2018, 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if Minnesota has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Atlanta by 2020, then Minnesota will instead convey its 2020 2nd round pick and 2021 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Minnesota, 2/10/2015]

OK, finally some info.
Best case we give 2 2nd to ATL.
Worst case we give a non-lottery 1st.
Oh, boy. Before the draft MIN was projected to pick between Stauskas, McDermott, Young, Lavine, Harris and Payne
I watched them in a few games before the draft and my order was. Stauskas, Harris, Mcdermott, Lavine, Young, Payne.
I was low on Payne before the draft and because he hasn't played this year i continue to be low on him.
I hope he becomes a good backup PF and i will cheer for him when i see him in MIN's jersey.
But i have to say i think it is an overpay.
ATL needed a roster spot for R.Allen, they don't need Payne and we are to pay such a price? Doesn't seem right.
Flip has done some good and some bad decisions.
Good was the Bazz, Gorgui trade... it could be a better one (Giannis, Adams) but it was a great trade.
Giving MIA's 1st for Young was a good decision. Giving MIA's 1st instead of Bennett was a terrible decision and i posted it many times before the trade happened.
Getting Wiggins for Love was awesome, but getting LMM for D-Will was a terrible one, especially when he declined WAS offer Ariza for D-Will.
Drafting Lavine was good, but drafting Lavine because he thinks he is a PG was a bad one.
So what i am saying is that Flip has done some good and some bad decision and i am not trusting blindly what he does.
I hope he saw something in Payne that justifies this overpay.

LMAM was kinda good, but we should've sent Bennett to Phila instead of him(even with MIA 1st), Adelman made us fools, made us think Gorgui and Bazz will bust, made us think LMAM was done, LMAM now looks like anti-Thad Young ie. what we actually need from our PF.
Ariza was expiring and 90% wouldn't resign, infact I think he would've went back in WAS hands or somewhere else. And last but not least its safe to say DWill is bust and expensive garbage, which will poor Sacramento say(while owing 30M to PFs who altogether couldn't make a decent PF).

Payne idk, I was really fan of trading for pick(17, 18, 19 & 20) and getting him, but not a fan of him @13. To say the least LaVine in redraft goes into top10, so Flip /bow
Also I must admit I am sick of thinking that team loaded with talent and good assets should stack draft picks, god we have GR3 on our roster and some people would murder for his prospects and we can't even play him...
For all its worth, we have the issue of back-up PG if Lorenzo can't repeat what he did when he came. But our SG spot looks solid if Gary Neal stays(which I kinda don't fancy at all, "Flip" him if possible, there are teams that want shooting)
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#209 » by Nitroglycerin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:34 am

the hate for Payne is unbelievable..
Trust the PRosas!
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#210 » by Note30 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 am

LordBaldric wrote:LaVine and Payne were the two stupidest draft picks we were considering last summer, and now we have both of them. Thanks Flip! I bet Jeff Adrien is better than Payne easily, and now we are overloaded at the PF spot. Meanwhile, Zach has been god awful. We can only pray for a Shabazz like transformation, except Bazz seems like a pretty smart dude while LaVine is a blockhead.

Wow, you are as bad of a troll as guest81. Actually, this is sig worthy. Holy **** there is a lot of absolute statements here.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by Note30 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:39 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:the hate for Payne is unbelievable..

So when Payne gets good, just remember that we were his first supporters here. LOL.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#212 » by Nitroglycerin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:43 am

Note30 wrote:

So when Payne gets good, just remember that we were his first supporters here. LOL.

Makes me want to root for him more. Just the potential nicknames makes it a good trade. Go Paynekiller!
Trust the PRosas!
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by Note30 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:50 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Makes me want to root for him more. Just the potential nicknames makes it a good trade. Go Paynekiller!

I was thinking there was more of a possibility for some Max Payne references haha.

Feilong
Veteran

Post#214 » by Feilong » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:52 am

To be clear. I don't hate Payne. I hope he plays great basketball for MIN for many years.
I just think we overpaid for him.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#215 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

Wasnt a fan of Payne coming into the draft because there is always concern with overaged productive players. He was good because he was playing guys half as physically mature. Payne already becomes one of the older players on the team.

Dieng was also overaged, but was still young in terms of basketball; this isn't the case with Payne.

That said, if it does end up being a second, then its a good gamble for a possible rotational player.

I think Flip is using this trade to try and wake Bennett up. The kid has been pretty the good last couple of games aside from his jumper.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#216 » by southern wolf » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#217 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Feilong wrote:To be clear. I don't hate Payne. I hope he plays great basketball for MIN for many years.

wtf? Just admit you really have no idea ..

This is a solid - low risk move. We needed better roster balance and adding a prospective big to soften the rotation is perfect. This is clearly worth a look.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Feilong
Veteran

Post#218 » by Feilong » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Dewey wrote:
Feilong wrote:To be clear. I don't hate Payne. I hope he plays great basketball for MIN for many years.

wtf? Just admit you really have no idea ..

This is a solid - low risk move. We needed better roster balance and adding a prospective big to soften the rotation is perfect. This is clearly worth a look.

What?????
No idea about what?
That he is old for a rookie? That he has health problems? That he was decent in college because he was much older than the others and because he was bigger he could bully his opponents? That he couldn't crack ATL rotation? Even garbage time? That he has played only 19 minutes this year? What i don't know that you do?
And it isn't at all low risk move, it is an extremely high risk move. Because we all hope in 2 years Rubio and Wiggins could get us to the playoffs. If we achieve that we give our 1st pick. Let's hope he turns 180 degrees and becomes a STARTING PF because everything right now indicates he goes the wrong way. Rebuilding team giving up a 1st for a backup PF is close to suicide.
"We need a better roster balance"? You understand that now we 4 (four) PFs? This is balance for you?
And i repeat. ATL needed to clear a roster spot to sign R.Allen. They are in a need. And instead we are the ones to give a future 1st?
When i was saying that we should give Bennett instead of MIA's 1st i was mocked, but i was right.
When i was saying Lavine can't play PG, i was right again.
Let's hope i am wrong this time and Payne becomes a good starting PF. He becomes so good that even if we make the playoffs and lose the 1st we will say it was totally worth it.
mthead2121
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#219 » by mthead2121 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Note30 wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:LaVine and Payne were the two stupidest draft picks we were considering last summer, and now we have both of them. Thanks Flip! I bet Jeff Adrien is better than Payne easily, and now we are overloaded at the PF spot. Meanwhile, Zach has been god awful. We can only pray for a Shabazz like transformation, except Bazz seems like a pretty smart dude while LaVine is a blockhead.

Wow, you are as bad of a troll as guest81. Actually, this is sig worthy. Holy **** there is a lot of absolute statements here.

Explain how any of that is wrong.. What evidence is there he is better than Adrien, who was solid while here. And Especially the part about Lavine not being God awful
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#220 » by C.lupus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:39 pm

What evidence is there that he would be worse than Adrien? I like Adrien as much as anyone here but he is an undersized PF with no offensive game whatsoever. He wasn't even drafted and he's currently playing in China. You guys are comparing the #15 pick in the current draft who hasn't had the chance to play 20 minutes in the NBA to him? Payne is not going to set the world on fire but he has legit size for his position (6'10", 245), is athletic, is a pretty good shot blocker/rim protector, and can knock down the three. Let's at least give him a shot before assuming he's going to be terrible.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves