Guess our next trade!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Guess our next trade! 

Post#21 » by C.lupus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:18 pm

I think Payne can play some minutes at C so there's that. I kind of have the feeling Bennett and Payne will be battling for the backup PF spot next year behind someone who isn't currently on the team (either a top draft pick or a trade).

The next month or so is going to be Flip evaluating what he has so I'm expecting some head-scratching lineups and moments at times. Buckle up!
sheefo13
Junior
And1: 79

Post#22 » by sheefo13 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:38 pm

If I had to guess, it would be no more trades. But I think Bennett and Bud could be packaged to a team willing to take a risk on them.
www.timberrebuilder.com
Like on Facebook, twitter, & Instagram @timberrebuilder
Rebuilding Wolves Fandom since 2004.
JimBreuer45
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#23 » by JimBreuer45 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm

C.lupus wrote:I don't think Thad gets traded before the deadline, either. I think he plays out this season then opts out next year or gets traded in the offseason. I would say Martin as the most likely to go as he's probably the only guy that would have decent value for a playoff team but Flip doesn't seem to want to part with him (unless he's bluffing) so I'm going to say there won't be any more trades this year.

I think the Wolves would be happy if Thad opts out. What is he owed next year? 9mil? Noone is going to give him that.

I don't get the "trade Martin" crowd, especially since he's about the only player on this team that can consistently drain the 3. We have a 20pt scorer locked up for the next 3 years. And people want to dump him for a late 1st round pick (what percentage of those even pan out?)?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#24 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:37 pm

What about Pekovic ?

I know what you guys are going to say " here comes the n°1 hater of Pekovic ".

But i'm been realistic, a lot people talk about increase the value of Pek when he returned and then trade him.

Well, the value is provaly high right now. Are we really going forward with the risk of a future injury again ?

Because if that happends again, we going to see a lot people again saying things like "we should have trade him when his value was high".

Again ?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#25 » by C.lupus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:44 pm

mercgold3 wrote:What about Pekovic ?

I know what you guys are going to say " here comes the n°1 hater of Pekovic ".

But i'm been realistic, a lot people talk about increase the value of Pek when he returned and then trade him.

Well, the value is provaly high right now. Are we really going forward with the risk of a future injury again ?

Because if that happends again, we going to see a lot people again saying things like "we should have trade him when his value was high".

Again ?

Unfortunately, I think he'll have to prove he can play extended games without ankle problems before his value increases. Right now he's still feeling pain on back to back nights. Nobody is going to trade for that.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#26 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:06 pm

I think Martin and Young are definitely on the table. It's just a matter of other teams giving up assets for them. If nothing is offered they will stay at least until summer.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#27 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:46 pm

What do you guys think of Thad playing SF? Does he seem to do alright or is he definitely a PF?
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#28 » by PZiv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 pm

MotownMadness wrote:What do you guys think of Thad playing SF? Does he seem to do alright or is he definitely a PF?

if you have enough spacing outside him(SG and preferably stretch PF), its gonna work, otherwise you clog up the paint, possible but requires pieces.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#29 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:50 pm

PZiv wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:What do you guys think of Thad playing SF? Does he seem to do alright or is he definitely a PF?

if you have enough spacing outside him(SG and preferably stretch PF), its gonna work, otherwise you clog up the paint, possible but requires pieces.

That's what I figured, Thx.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#30 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:I think Martin and Young are definitely on the table. It's just a matter of other teams giving up assets for them. If nothing is offered they will stay at least until summer.

I'm not so sure. I think Martin will be here next season unless we draft Russell or something. Especially if we get Okafor, there's no reason we shouldn't do our best to be competitive next year since the main building blocks will be in place.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#31 » by PZiv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:06 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
PZiv wrote:

That's what I figured, Thx.

You can try getting Chase Budinger who can be a nice gamble, since he looks like garbage with us, and is cheap. Or I think if you can get Kirilenko to play some ball, 2nd rounder can get you a useful body on SF.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#32 » by jpatrick » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:10 pm

If we knew we were going to draft a wing shooter (Russell/Hezonja) or a true center (Okafor), I think we'd be actively looking to move Martin or Pek, probably for a pretty small return. But, as is, we have no one on the roster who can replace what they provide, so I think they both stay until at least the offseason.

Thad I think is gone by the trade deadline. I'm not even sure we can get a late first for him though.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#33 » by cpfsf » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:I think Martin and Young are definitely on the table. It's just a matter of other teams giving up assets for them. If nothing is offered they will stay at least until summer.

I'm not so sure. I think Martin will be here next season unless we draft Russell or something. Especially if we get Okafor, there's no reason we shouldn't do our best to be competitive next year since the main building blocks will be in place.

picks could be a reason. our pick is top 12 protected in 2016. if we strictly looked this season, minnesota would need a record worse than 42.3% to keep a top 12 pick. to make the playoffs, minnesota would need a winning percentage of 53.7%. so if minnesota falls between about 42.3% or 53.7% (very possible), there is a good chance they get no playoffs and no pick. but there's also the cost of keeping martin. i think he's worth a first round draft pick i mean lets say minnesota traded thad too for a first. that's 3 first round draft picks minnesota could have.

i'm not really sure. i know we gotta take off the training wheels, but kevin martin 32 right now. i just don't know if he's a long term answer.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#34 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:10 pm

FWIW

Young, for his part, said that the pair of trades this week haven't affected his outlook on whether or not he'd like to stay in Minnesota.

"It doesn't affect my future with the team or how I look and see things with the team," Young said Wednesday. "I really haven't thought about it, I've just thought about winning basketball games."

Young said earlier this year that he'd like to be anchored in one place for a while if it's possible. He said he still feels that way.

"Yeah, definitely. My wife and kids, who wants to continue to keep picking up and moving? It's definitely still the same, hasn't changed," Young said.

With the trade bringing in Payne, head coach Flip Saunders may have a tough time finding enough minutes for Young, Payne and second-year forward Anthony Bennett.

"It's a situation where it's going to be tough," Young said. "We've got a lot of big guys now. Hopefully I can help mentor some of these young guys and keep working with them and continue to play together."

Young, a relative veteran on a team clearly making a conscious effort to get even younger, could be a player Minnesota looks to shop before the Feb. 19 trade deadline. That possibility is not on Young's mind, he said.

"No, not really. I just continue to play basketball. If it happens, it happens, but at the end of the day it's about continuing to play basketball and doing the job that you're supposed to go out and do," Young said.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Youn ... 115_021115
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves