ImageImageImage

What did we actually lose from last year?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: What did we actually lose from last year? 

Post#41 » by AQuintus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:47 am

Klomp wrote:You know that all max contracts change based on the salary cap, right? (well, technically based on BRI, but whatever).

That's only the 1st year. Every year after is only limited by pre-set percentage based increases of that 1st year. If his max is 25% of the salary cap, and the salary cap is $65 million, it still only goes up by that pre-set percentage. It doesn't suddenly become 25% of $80 million (or whatever the cap eventually becomes).

Green's max will start at roughly 16.575m, but if he had become a FA one year later it would start at $20m, based on proojections.

The max for a guy with 0-6 years experience is 25% of the cap. Just looking now, NBCsports is projecting a salary cap next year of $66.3 million, so Green's deal would start at $16.575 like you said. The next year, it would raise 7.5% (assuming he gets the max raise each year) to $17.818 million. The cap is projected (again by NBCsports) to be $87 million that year. So, Green's deal would go from 25% of the cap to 20.1% of the cap. The next year the cap is projected at $94 million. Green's deal would be $19.15 million, or 20.3% of the cap.

The point is that the his salary wouldn't be capable of rising as fast as the cap is projected to rise, so it will be less relative to the cap in say 2017 than a max deal signed in 2017 will be.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#42 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:33 am

Note30 wrote:We can make a solid push for the playoffs if we get an RFA or UFA like for example Draymond Green, and give up an asset (LaVine) for a guy like Darren Collison or George Hill.

But above all, the biggest difference would be that we need a new coach. Getting a new coach would solve a lot of problems, because frankly, Flip isn't going to cut it.
Go after Hoiberg/Izzo and get Malone as an assistant. We can still make a deep run for the playoffs with the right coaching.

Hell no to trading Lavine for Collison or Hill. They are mediocre PG's. Lavine has way too much talent/potential to be moved for that.

Agree on a new coach. Someone who allows freedom for Rubio on offense, and will preach defense would be a good start.

Going into next year we should look like this:

Rubio / ?
Wiggins / Martin / Lavine
Bazz / ?
Thad / Payne / Bennett
Pek / Gorgui

I would explore the market for Thad, Bennett, Bud, Pek, and Martin. Especially with Pek since it seems we could be in position to grab Okafor or Towns to play C. We should be able to sign a decent wing or backup PG with our MLE.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#43 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm probably wrong but I was under the assumption that non original team's could only offer 4.5% increases and the 7.5% increases were reserved for the original teams offers.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#44 » by Saltine » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:I'm probably wrong but I was under the assumption that non original team's could only offer 4.5% increases and the 7.5% increases were reserved for the original teams offers.

You are correct, 7.5% is only for the original team, sign and trades are limited to 4.5%;

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q55
"the "standard" maximum length is four seasons and the "standard" maximum raise is 4.5% "

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves