ImageImageImage

Wolves trade up options.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Wolves trade up options. 

Post#1 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 am

So it is pretty clear that Towns and Okafor are the Wolves main targets in this draft. We all know that as of right now the lowest the Wolves can drop in the lotto is 5. For the sake of discussion, lets just say that Towns is the number 1 pick and no team is willing to trade him. Philly might, but who in the world knows what they would do. So the team in the number 2 spot is on the clock, the Wolves have #3,4 or 5. What do you offer the team sitting at #2 for Okafor?

NY, LA seem like the only 2 teams that have a need for Okafor like us, but they could also use any of the other guys in the top 5. Philly, Sacto, Orlando, Denver, Detroit, Charlotte, Miami, Utah, Indiana, PHX, and OKC all have centers or bigger needs at other spots.

So what do you offer? Would you put Dieng on the table? Our second rounders? Stay put?
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Re: Wolves trade up options. 

Post#2 » by LordBaldric » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:27 am

I'll vomit if we choose Okafor.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#3 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:43 am

I really don't want Okafor either. If we can't get KAT then I'd be open to trading the pick with players for a more proven guy. Noel would be awesome if Philly falls in love with Russell or Mudiay.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#4 » by breatnach » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:58 am

How about trading down? If KAT (and Okafor) are gone, we could trade down to SAC at #6 and get Hezonja, WCS, or someone plus an assett like McLemore?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#5 » by Foye » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:58 am

LordBaldric wrote:I'll vomit if we choose Okafor.

Why though? He'll be good. His post-moves will surely translate. Just a matter of at some point acknowledging his weakness and acquiring two defensive minded PFs if you are gonna draft him. That's the mistake we made when we had Kevin Love.
Not once in his stint here we managed to put a good defensive minded C next to him.
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#6 » by phonzadellika » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:56 pm

breatnach wrote:How about trading down? If KAT (and Okafor) are gone, we could trade down to SAC at #6 and get Hezonja, WCS, or someone plus an assett like McLemore?

I like the idea of Hezonja because he's supposed to be an elite shooter with good athleticism, which would be an ideal fit between Rubio and Wiggins...but the way that Lavine has shot the ball lately I'm starting to wonder if he could become an elite beyond-the-arc threat.

At 4, assuming that Okafor, KAT, and Russell are gone, I think a trade with SAC makes the most sense provided that WCS falls to them.

At 5, we just draft WCS and call it a day.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#7 » by C.lupus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Foye wrote:

Why though? He'll be good. His post-moves will surely translate. Just a matter of at some point acknowledging his weakness and acquiring two defensive minded PFs if you are gonna draft him. That's the mistake we made when we had Kevin Love.
Not once in his stint here we managed to put a good defensive minded C next to him.

Well that's the problem with him. You have to rearrange your roster to make it work. And you make it sound easy to just acquire 2 defensive PFs. Who are these two players and how are you going to acquire them? And what are you going to do with the 2 PFs we have under contract that don't have any trade value?
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#8 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:00 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:I really don't want Okafor either. If we can't get KAT then I'd be open to trading the pick with players for a more proven guy. Noel would be awesome if Philly falls in love with Russell or Mudiay.

I would trade or pick for Noel, but I don't think anyone knows what to expect from them. I would think the only way they trade Noel is if they are in a position to draft Towns, still believe in Embiid, and like you said fall in love with Russell or Mudiay.

breatnach wrote:How about trading down? If KAT (and Okafor) are gone, we could trade down to SAC at #6 and get Hezonja, WCS, or someone plus an assett like McLemore?

I made this thread because we have a few posters her who think drafting a guard or wing player would be a massive mistake. So, getting a guy like McLemore probably makes even less sense, because he is strictly a shooting guard. I would trade back for WCS, but I would want something significant back and it would have to help at PF.

C.lupus wrote:
Foye wrote:

Well that's the problem with him. You have to rearrange your roster to make it work. And you make it sound easy to just acquire 2 defensive PFs. Who are these two players and how are you going to acquire them? And what are you going to do with the 2 PFs we have under contract that don't have any trade value?

Personally I think Okafor, and probably WCS, are getting the overly scrutinized thing that tends to happen every year to certain prospects. I don't think WCS is nearly the offensive liability that some posters make him out to be, and I don't think Okafor is the defensive liability that most think he is. It is obvious that it has been difficult for us to build around our bigs for years now. We couldn't find the defensive match for any of Al, Love, or Pek. I think we are in a position looking forward to next year to find someone that fits. We probably project to be in the top 10 picks, at best probably top 12 picks. I don't think anyone here projects us to make the playoffs next year in the West, especially since it is 9 deep right now with Utah on the upswing, and PHX still right on the edge. The lotto picks next year are loaded with PFs and Cs. Labissiere, Maker, Rabb, Qi, Diallo, and Bender would all fit on this team with Okafor if you ask me. Our interior defense is a problem, but I think we are actually somewhat lucky, in the way the draft prospects shake out for talent and fit for next year and won't be the problem building around we have experienced in the past. I know there will be strong skeptics and rightfully so, but I'm actually pretty hopeful about this. I think it would actually be easier to build around Okafor than WCS.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#9 » by guest81 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:10 pm

I find it strange that nobody thinks a 19 year college freshman has no chance to improve his rim protection defense, like it's already a lost cause.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#10 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:29 pm

I hate that you all think that Towns has more defensive potential than Okafor. Both will probably be plus defenders, nothing too special there, but above average. Both are up there in the mock drafts because of their offensive potential.

But hey, please tell me more about Okafor being the next Al Jefferson, even tho he is so much bigger and so much more athletic than the Big Al.

And let's all praise Towns' potential on D, even tho he has a wing 1.5 inch shorter wingspan than Okafor and no lower body strength at all. But it doesn't matter, he still will be elite on D, while Okafor will be the new Bargnani.

But seriously, I'd give up Dieng easily to trade up to #2 for either Okafor or Towns.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#11 » by FargoWolf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 pm

I do agree that Okafor could become a solid defender, it isn't like he has physical limitations. He just needs to get better and being a 19 year old he has plenty of time to do it. If KG plays another year he has a great mentor to help him figure out things defensively.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#12 » by C.lupus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:07 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:I hate that you all think that Towns has more defensive potential than Okafor. Both will probably be plus defenders, nothing too special there, but above average. Both are up there in the mock drafts because of their offensive potential.

But hey, please tell me more about Okafor being the next Al Jefferson, even tho he is so much bigger and so much more athletic than the Big Al.

And let's all praise Towns' potential on D, even tho he has a wing 1.5 inch shorter wingspan than Okafor and no lower body strength at all. But it doesn't matter, he still will be elite on D, while Okafor will be the new Bargnani.

What?

Draftexpress on Towns' defense:
Defensively is where Towns separates himself as a prospect, and where his one year at Kentucky really helped him improve the most. He has the size and strength to defend centers effectively, but also the length and mobility to contain most 4s, giving him terrific positional versatility that is highly coveted in today's NBA.

Towns has terrific timing as a shot-blocker, with his 4.4 blocks per-40 minutes ranking fifth best among DX Top-100 prospects. He covers ground nicely, being agile enough to hedge screens out to the perimeter and still make it back into the paint in time to make a play at the rim. It's not rare to see him take charges, close out effectively on shooters on the perimeter, or even switch out onto guards in pick and roll situations. He's also an excellent rebounder thanks to his terrific size, length and instincts, grabbing 13 boards per-40 minutes pace adjusted, the third best rate among DX Top-100 prospects.

Towns is not a finished product on this end of the floor, as he still has plenty of room to continue to improve his technique and consistency like all young players. He was at times a little too aggressive biting on pump-fakes or putting his hands on opponents on the perimeter, and doesn't always play on the balls of his feet due to their sheer size, which can leave him flat-footed and make it difficult for him to slide and contain quicker players at times. His 5.7 fouls per-40 minutes was the third highest rate among DX Top-100 prospects.

And this is why most of us want him at #1, not because he is an offensive center:
Towns' positional versatility on both ends of the floor makes him something of the prototype for your modern day NBA big man. He can protect the rim and score inside the paint like a center, but is also capable of stepping away from the rim guarding the pick and roll or as a floor-spacer on the perimeter. It's extremely difficult to find players who can do all these different things, which could easily convince a team to use the #1 pick on him should he decide to enter this year's draft.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#13 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 pm

C.lupus wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:I hate that you all think that Towns has more defensive potential than Okafor. Both will probably be plus defenders, nothing too special there, but above average. Both are up there in the mock drafts because of their offensive potential.

What?

Draftexpress on Towns' defense:
Defensively is where Towns separates himself as a prospect, and where his one year at Kentucky really helped him improve the most. He has the size and strength to defend centers effectively, but also the length and mobility to contain most 4s, giving him terrific positional versatility that is highly coveted in today's NBA.

Towns has terrific timing as a shot-blocker, with his 4.4 blocks per-40 minutes ranking fifth best among DX Top-100 prospects. He covers ground nicely, being agile enough to hedge screens out to the perimeter and still make it back into the paint in time to make a play at the rim. It's not rare to see him take charges, close out effectively on shooters on the perimeter, or even switch out onto guards in pick and roll situations. He's also an excellent rebounder thanks to his terrific size, length and instincts, grabbing 13 boards per-40 minutes pace adjusted, the third best rate among DX Top-100 prospects.

Towns is not a finished product on this end of the floor, as he still has plenty of room to continue to improve his technique and consistency like all young players. He was at times a little too aggressive biting on pump-fakes or putting his hands on opponents on the perimeter, and doesn't always play on the balls of his feet due to their sheer size, which can leave him flat-footed and make it difficult for him to slide and contain quicker players at times. His 5.7 fouls per-40 minutes was the third highest rate among DX Top-100 prospects.

And this is why most of us want him at #1, not because he is an offensive center:
Towns' positional versatility on both ends of the floor makes him something of the prototype for your modern day NBA big man. He can protect the rim and score inside the paint like a center, but is also capable of stepping away from the rim guarding the pick and roll or as a floor-spacer on the perimeter. It's extremely difficult to find players who can do all these different things, which could easily convince a team to use the #1 pick on him should he decide to enter this year's draft.

I didn't say he's a bad defender, he's above average one, but it's not his calling card, his calling card is offensive versatility on top of that. I mean why are the 4 prospects in front of him in blocks per 40 not rated higher than him in mocks?

His man defense will still remain a question because of the weak lower body and he will not be a top 10 shot blocker because he does not have the most impressive wingspan, so just as I said, he probably won't be an elite defender at his position, but a well above average one. With Okafor, it is the reverse situation. I mean, if you want to say Towns' defensive ceiling is KG, Okafor's is Marc Gasol, because he certainly has the tools, but both probably won't get to their projected ceilings.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#14 » by Foye » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:55 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Foye wrote:

I believe with the emergence of Mirotic in Chicago, Taj Gibson could become available. He seems like a tremendous fit and Chicago might have use for Kevin Martin. It hurts our chances a lot that we traded a first for Payne, though.

Then you have KG who will hopefully come back and is still one of the better defenders in the league.

Bennett has no future in this organization. He'll be traded sooner than later for a bag of donuts.
Payne will hopefully at some point figure it out and be a solid backup PF. He does have potential on the defensive side.

If a deal for Taj fails then plan B should be to get someone via the draft. Buy a mid-to-late first rounder from a seller and pick the PF with the most potential on the defensive side.
I'm not into the NCAA at all so I have no idea at all who could be that guy. Judging by scouting reports maybe Myles Turner (although it might take dealing Shabazz to get him since he is projected in the lottery).
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#15 » by packforfreedom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:52 pm

With Towns/Okafor-Wiggins-LaVine-Rubio some additional spacing would be great, so the perfect fit would be a PF that can strech the floor and defend well. Gibson is a good defender but won't hit even midrange jumpers on a consistent basis. Think I would try how Bjelica is doing, from what i've heard and seen, he's a solid defender (maybe I'm wrong though), and maybe Payne can develop into something and with KG coming back for 10 minutes a game, I think a Bjelica-KG-Payne PF-Rotation is an okay start to work with. after the season, when we know how are players are developing, we can look what kind of a PF we'll need longterm.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Wolves trade up options. 

Post#16 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 pm

packforfreedom wrote:With Towns/Okafor-Wiggins-LaVine-Rubio some additional spacing would be great, so the perfect fit would be a PF that can strech the floor and defend well.

What about R.Anderson ?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#17 » by packforfreedom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:07 pm

I don't think he has ever defended anyone, he more like the complete opposite of Gibson.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#18 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:13 pm

But with Towns he would provaly be the perfect strech 4 that you are talking about.

Great rebounder.

Edit: I'm not saying to trade the pick for him.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Wolves trade up options. 

Post#19 » by Jkam31 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Some of you are out of your damn minds about Ohkafor. Yes he won't be a great defender he probably can become an average one especially if you fire Malone. But getting a big that will give you 20-9 is elite. He would maybe push wiggins to the 2nd option which makes the team more lethal with 2 elite offense players one being a post player. You take him over the guards every day 2x on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Wolves trade up options. 

Post#20 » by Streakers33 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Hmm. Sadly. If we don't get top two picks then in pretty sure the two teams that do won't be giving them up. Knicks and lakers probably or Philly in there and they grab Russell. Sadly is see us dropping to number four if we dont land number one.

And if philly gets two lottery picks. And we get number one or two and philly picks four or five. Would they dangle Noel to us for pick. Or maybe those two picks for ours? Cuz it sounds line a lot of people would be happy with wsc. And then at around 12-13 grab frank the tank (who I see as a pf in nba) and we have the guy from Europe coming. So u draft two bigs. And now u trade pek for anything. I still like idea of martin, chase, pek and our our super high unprotected second rounder for joe Johnson and use his utility of being able to play 3 positions as our expensive injury covering guy. Is this crazy?

But for trading up. I think other than our young core u do it. Deing isn't untouchable. But we Better be sure okafor or towns is the real deal to quit on deing. Why is drafting at three or four so bad? We act like Russell wouldn't play back up pg for us? We need talent there too... Or wsc at four isn't crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves