ImageImageImage

Flip Returning As Head Coach?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Flip Returning As Head Coach? 

Post#661 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jun 9, 2015 9:15 pm

C.lupus wrote:And you are ignoring that you have been saying he hasn't been trying or talking to anybody when we've been telling you that he talks to coaches behind the scenes.

I do agree at this point he's not interested in getting a replacement for this year. BUT he DID make a concerted effort last year before taking over the job after all his main candidates declined AND he's been keeping in touch with guys like Thibs and Van Gundy for next year.

You were waiting for what ?
To Flip saying, "no, im not looking for anyone"

Lupus - "And you are ignoring that you have been saying he hasn't been trying or talking to anybody when we've been telling you that he talks to coaches behind the scenes"

I mean, im ignoring this fact, and you guys are ignoring all the other facts that you guys were talking about.

Lupus: "I do agree at this point he's not interested in getting a replacement for this year"

Has he ever been ?

Lupus: "BUT he DID make a concerted effort last year before taking over the job after all his main candidates declined AND he's been keeping in touch with guys like Thibs and Van Gundy for next year."

I didnt say that he didnt make a concerted effort to get Jorger, but again, that was before he hire himself.

My point was, If Flip wanted a new coach, he would have a new coach.
But Flip, in an UNDERSTANDABLE way provaly wants to to retire as a coach on a high note. (UNDERSTANDABLE)
Giving bad excuses to hide the fact that he wants to coach another year is wrong:

"He is waiting for Hoiberg
"he didnt found the right coach yet"
"nobody wants to come here"

Thank god Flip said this to stop with this bad excuses:
"It might not be for right now, but it could be down the road."
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#662 » by mondry » Tue Jun 9, 2015 9:21 pm

urinesane wrote:Merc this quote is for you:

Mannix: Do you hear from coaching agents often?

Saunders: "Last year I probably talked to 12 coaches. A lot of people probably weren’t aware. I’m not one to advertise. I’ve done the same thing as far as numerous coaches this year. It might not be for right now, but it could be down the road. I’m constantly in the evaluation process for coaches."

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/08/flip-s ... icky-rubio

Just because it isn't advertised, doesn't mean he isn't looking.

Great news, I'm really glad to hear this! :D
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#663 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jun 9, 2015 9:32 pm

And btw after he talked to so many coaches he still say this:

Flip "Until I feel we can get somebody who can move forward a little bit, we’ll [stay] where we’re at."

Like i said, or his list is too restricted. Or his requirements are very high.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#664 » by Sugarless » Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:36 pm

Mannix: Are you going to coach this team?

Saunders: "Right now I’m coaching the team. It’s a question everybody asks. It’s interesting, when I ended up coaching a year ago, it was the right thing to do at that time for the organization. We had the unknowns with Kevin Love, we would have pigeonholed ourselves if we took a veteran coach and maybe not have the flexibility to go as young as we did. Right now, the most important thing is to develop our young talent. We have done a pretty good job with our staff and organization moving in that direction. Until I feel we can get somebody who can move forward a little bit, we’ll [stay] where we’re at."

Well, he said exactly what he's supposed to say.

Of course it's naive to believe he's talked to some (unnamed) 20 coaches over the last year (I assume he's talked to some new guys this year) and he hasn't found anyone who can 'move forward a little bit'. Either he's not being honest, he's not looking too hard at those coaches, or he's not looking where he has to. I don't see how that's credible, good news or him doing a good job.

Anyway, there is something positive to take from that, and it's the fact that he didn't talk about looking for a coach to compete for a championship (instead aiming for something much more attainable such us moving forward a little bit), cause that's one of the most ridiculous things we've been hearing regarding the coaching situation.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#665 » by Feilong » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:27 am

I am even more concerned after reading Flip's comment, "Until I feel we can get somebody who can move forward a little bit"
I bet he feels the same next year, and the year after, and the year after.
I hope i am wrong, but i am not optimistic after reading his comment.
A comment like, i talked to 2-3 coaches and they weren't interested at the moment but i will continue the search next year, is something i would prefer to read.
GI_Slow
Pro Prospect
And1: 381

Post#666 » by GI_Slow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:03 am

Since Pete D'Alessandro is now with the Nuggets, seems rather bleak that Malone goes there.
Not sure how many other teams need a HC, but Malone doesn't seem like a bad floor regarding candidates for the spot.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,943

Post#667 » by Klomp » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm making a call that next summer Flip hires Jeff VanGundy as head coach. JVG then hires Tom Thibodeau as his top assistant.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#668 » by Mattya » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Klomp wrote:I'm making a call that next summer Flip hires Jeff VanGundy as head coach. JVG then hires Tom Thibodeau as his top assistant.

and people would still complain.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#669 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Why would Thibs be a top assistant for the timberwolves when he can be head coach? Yeah I would complain, why are we dragging out and old coach from a TV job as head coach and putting Thibs under him? It should be Thibs as head coach and JVG can be assistant or w/e I don't care about him
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#670 » by urinesane » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Mattya wrote:
Klomp wrote:I'm making a call that next summer Flip hires Jeff VanGundy as head coach. JVG then hires Tom Thibodeau as his top assistant.

no sh*t
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#671 » by The J Rocka » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:36 pm

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to understand that these top coaching candidates don't want to coach a team with teenagers who still need more time to develop. Coaches are always in the front line to get fired if expectations aren't met whether it's due to the team record or younger players not 'getting it' quick enough.

Flip is going to coach these kids through the growing pains. When they're all more developed and ready to compete for a PO spot, then you'll see more interest from the bigger names.

Guys like Thibs and JVG want a team that's in the 40+ win territory with a lot more room to grow. That will eventually happen, but it's not going to happen overnight (obviously).

Flip is like your grade school teacher preparing the younger students for the next level.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#672 » by Klomp » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:Yeah I would complain, why are we dragging out and old coach from a TV job as head coach and putting Thibs under him?

Fun fact: Van Gundy is four years younger than Thibodeau.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#673 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Klomp wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:Yeah I would complain, why are we dragging out and old coach from a TV job as head coach and putting Thibs under him?

Fun fact: Van Gundy is four years younger than Thibodeau.

Oh thats crazy, he acts and coaches 20 years older than thibs.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#674 » by Klomp » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 pm

If my previous call doesn't happen, I could also see a Gasol-less Memphis miss the playoffs and fire Dave Joerger. I tnhink this is less likely to happen, though.

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#675 » by C.lupus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Thibs should get a head coaching gig somewhere. I could see JVG and Malone, though.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#676 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Jerry Sloan as HC with Lenny Wilkens, Don Nelson, Paul Silas, and Hubie Brown as his assistants.
Nobody could **** with that all star coaching staff.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#677 » by packforfreedom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:52 pm

JVG would be my first choice.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#678 » by King Malta » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:53 am

Mattya wrote:

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#679 » by Klomp » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:12 pm

C.lupus wrote:

Thibs should get a head coaching gig somewhere. I could see JVG and Malone, though.

Malone is out.

Otis
Analyst
And1: 35

Post#680 » by Otis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Would a young team like the Wolves want a Coach, like Thibs, who is said to have burned up players? I'd hate to see Wiggy end up like Rose.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves