Stanley Johnson
2%
*I dont agree with the top-3
3%

Total votes: 62

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Hypothetic: Who you draft with the 4# ? 

Post#201 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri May 15, 2015 8:55 pm

mondry wrote:Since this is the hypothetical thread, what do you guys think about trading down to #4 if we kept the #1 pick after the lotto, knowing we'd still get one of Okafor, Towns, Russell, or Porzingis? And what kind of value would a trade like that net? You could trade from #1 to 2 or 3 as well but I definitely want to stay in the top 4 for one of those guys. Just assume the other teams would "have" to trade with us but come up with fair value.

I'd want Nerlens Noel.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#202 » by Sugarless » Fri May 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Klomp wrote:You just explained exactly why we have that mindset. Picking at the top of the draft is all about getting the best possible return on your investment. That means the player needs to have high potential. That's why you see four-year seniors dropping in the draft and why a lot of international players don't get drafted until later in the draft.

Porzingis isn't considered a top-5 pick because of the qualities you mentioned. He's a top-5 pick because he's 19 years old and has a lot of potential.

Well, the only thing I've said about Porzingis is that I would actually not pick him in the top-5 (I don't think he'll go that high), and of course that has nothing to do with my last message, which is strictly about the comparison between college and European basketball (I'm talking about the top leagues, of course).
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#203 » by Sugarless » Fri May 15, 2015 9:04 pm

mondry wrote:
Sugarless wrote:You guys don't know how ridiculous you sound to an European who follows the NCAA when you try to compare College basketball with the top European leagues.

There's simply no way to compare them, as your top NCAA Div. I teams would get killed in countries like Spain or Italy (and of course in the Euroleague, where they wouldn't make it past the first round). You keep thinking in terms of how the top players in every draft have huge potential and how some of them will become much better players than what you can find in Europe, but competitive basketball is not about that, it's about experience, toughness, IQ, good coaching, fundamentals and, above all, TEAM PERFORMANCE.

It's terribly naive and it shows a deep lack of both knowledge (about European basketball) and understanding (about basketball in general) to keep saying how this or that player couldn't make it on the NBA or how this 19yo guy is gonna be a star and has played against some future NBA role players *his age*.

And for god's sake, it's 2015 already, you should know better by now.

I don't follow NCAA or European ball but what you say makes sense to me, if I had to make an educated guess I'd say the Euro leagues have tougher competition, here's why.

A 19 year old NCAA player with tons of potential still probably only has say 40% of his maximum potential unlocked by the time they leave college. While the Euro players may not have as much maximum potential as a few of the NCAA players, they've most likely "unlocked" what potential they DO have. I don't watch much tape but from what I have seen, the 19 year old top 5 picks every year have significant flaws / look very raw and that includes the NCAA prospects. Then there's the rest of the 1st round and 2nd round picks who are far less talented than them.

Most NCAA players will NOT play in the NBA meaning most of your competition in NCAA is actually pretty weak. (low potential players with "kid" bodies / strength, that don't have a lot of what potential they do have unlocked, low experience / technique)

Even if an NCAA player with tons of potential plays another NCAA player with tons of potential (1st round pick vs 1st round pick) neither has unlocked close to their max potential so it doesn't mean much when either one gets to the NBA.

Older players have more strength and fully developed bodies in the Euro league - this would put any younger prospect at a disadvantage compared to playing strictly against peers your own age.

Ex-NBA players play in these oversees leagues don't they? (I honestly don't know, don't hold it against me if I'm wrong!) and even an ex-NBA player will be better than most of your competition in the NCAA.

Just my $0.02 from someone with no bias towards either league.

Even if you don't follow any of those leagues, there's a good deal of reasoning behind your post, and you're absolutely right.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#204 » by Note30 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:22 am

Note30 wrote:7 days from now this thread will be pointless. If it isn't I will do 1000 pushups to compensate.

EAT IT.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#205 » by Saltine » Wed May 20, 2015 1:31 am

This belongs on the Knicks board... :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves