Dear Flip Saunders

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Re: Dear Flip Saunders 

Post#41 » by wildvikeswolves » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:30 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:Did i miss something where Russell is unable to play the 2 and is purely a PG?

We need a big man more, but Russell still fits a need for this team with his shooting, ball handling, and ability to run the point

Have to wonder how good a 180 lb below-the-rim SG can really be; if he's at PG, he's at least got the height advantage, but at SG he has no advantages.

Draft Express lists Russell at 6'5 193. Every place I look has Zach Lavine at 6'6 180, although he plays more above the rim then Russell
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#42 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:36 pm

wildvikeswolves wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:Did i miss something where Russell is unable to play the 2 and is purely a PG?

We need a big man more, but Russell still fits a need for this team with his shooting, ball handling, and ability to run the point

Have to wonder how good a 180 lb below-the-rim SG can really be; if he's at PG, he's at least got the height advantage, but at SG he has no advantages.

Draft Express lists Russell at 6'5 193. Every place I look has Zach Lavine at 6'6 180, although he plays more above the rim then Russell

That's pretty solid to start I suppose. And even though he has the Kevin Love shoes on (6'3.25" in socks), he's got a really nice wingspan. I wouldn't complain off the bat just because he's one of those smooth scorers, but man that would be a ballsy pick when you have so little in the paint to rely on right now. But even though he's got some nice size, I think if he was taken, Ricky's days are numbered.
trevor0333
Senior
And1: 86

Dear Flip Saunders 

Post#43 » by trevor0333 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 3:43 am

Smokescreen...

However, I think he views it Towns/Russell tied with Okafor being 1A.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Otis
Analyst
And1: 35

Post#44 » by Otis » Thu Jun 4, 2015 12:23 pm

You guys forget that Flip and McHale were the ones who stuck their necks out and drafted KG when he was a skinny HS kid. His talent evaluation skills are just fine, he wanted to keep Billups when the front office let him go and has drafted well since his return. None of his draft picks have been busts yet. If Flip had been in charge we would probably have Rubio and Curry right now along with Love.

Flip will draft one of the 2 big men, you can forget about the Russell talk. I am willing to give Flip the benefit of the doubt and let him decide after the wolves work these two guys out. Either of them will improve the team.

The interesting part of the draft is the first pick of the second round and the #36 pick. there have been some very good players found at these spots recently. Look at what Draymond has done for Golden State.

As for the beefs about the Wolves defense, look at our defensive numbers in the games KG was on the floor. Much better than the other 75. And we would have continued to improve had we not shelved KG for the end of the season. I expect a big impact from having KG at training camp. Defense is all attitude.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#45 » by Goner » Thu Jun 4, 2015 10:23 pm

I've been saying for a while now that Flip brought in KG to mentor specifically KAT. What flip was saying had to have been a smokescreen, since he also said that he liked Porzingis and would take him as high as third. If we analyze both statements, they cannot both be true since Zinger's value comes largely in the same ilk as KAT's e.g. Floor spacing and athletic rim protection. Why would Flip show his hand in an interview before the draft? There wouldn't be a point in doing so.
TRKO
Junior
And1: 119

Post#46 » by TRKO » Thu Jun 4, 2015 10:35 pm

Goner wrote:I've been saying for a while now that Flip brought in KG to mentor specifically KAT. What flip was saying had to have been a smokescreen, since he also said that he liked Porzingis and would take him as high as third. If we analyze both statements, they cannot both be true since Zinger's value comes largely in the same ilk as KAT's e.g. Floor spacing and athletic rim protection. Why would Flip show his hand in an interview before the draft? There wouldn't be a point in doing so.

If he were going to smokescreen wouldn't the purpose of the smokescreen to drum up interest in the first pick. Why then wouldn't Flip act like he was going to pick Towns who reportedly is the consensus number one? If it's a smokescreen it's being done poorly.
Goner
Pro Prospect

Post#47 » by Goner » Thu Jun 4, 2015 10:43 pm

What if he knows that Kupchak favors Oak? There is more than one way to bluff.
TRKO
Junior

Post#48 » by TRKO » Thu Jun 4, 2015 10:53 pm

Goner wrote:What if he knows that Kupchak favors Oak? There is more than one way to bluff.

That may be. Who knows. From what I've read Kupchak likes Towns and he also may be willing to trade the pick. He may want a vet. But you may be right that Kupchak wants Okafor and Flip is bluffing. I certainly don't have any inside knowledge.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#49 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jun 4, 2015 11:21 pm

wildvikeswolves wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

Height is overrated.

Its the wingspan and standing reach that are much more important in basketball. Russell has that in spades.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#50 » by m2002brian » Fri Jun 5, 2015 12:21 am

TRKO wrote:
Goner wrote:I've been saying for a while now that Flip brought in KG to mentor specifically KAT. What flip was saying had to have been a smokescreen, since he also said that he liked Porzingis and would take him as high as third. If we analyze both statements, they cannot both be true since Zinger's value comes largely in the same ilk as KAT's e.g. Floor spacing and athletic rim protection. Why would Flip show his hand in an interview before the draft? There wouldn't be a point in doing so.

If he were going to smokescreen wouldn't the purpose of the smokescreen to drum up interest in the first pick. Why then wouldn't Flip act like he was going to pick Towns who reportedly is the consensus number one? If it's a smokescreen it's being done poorly.

Because Flip thinks he's the slyest fox in the hen house.*
Even if it makes no sense.

*Based on opinion not fact
BLUEGREENRED
Goner
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by Goner » Sat Jun 6, 2015 10:48 am

Am I the only one who thinks that if Flip has any real intention of moving Rubio, that he would have to go HAM after Schroder? If he is targeting Towns, as he should be, then the possibility of Schroder and Horford's "true form" (KAT) seems like an indomitable combo, as that pick and pop would be completely indefensible.

Schroder could be acquired if Rubio is traded to the Kings for their pick (6th) and taking on Landry's (hugely) negative contract. The pick, which could be parley'ed to Atlanta who is in dire need of a center which would-in turn- free up Horford to his rightful position of PF while simultaneously leading to Millsap becoming superfluous and resourcifying him to facilitate trades to cover Carroll's position should he leave, would be used to draft WCS and fortify and consolidate their frontcourt for the near-future.

If this were to take place, in any form, then the only core position of need would be PF. Flip has stated that he likes Porzingis, but he couldn't be acquired without giving up significant assets, so I think that he should target, instead, Terrence Jones. He is young and talented, but also redundant in Houston, being that DMo stretches the floor better than he does. If he were allowed to play without the constraints of "Morey ball," he could be something special. The ball handling, athleticism and shot blocking of this team's starting 5 would be something of wonder, and he could probably be had for Minny's two second-rounders and filler, which would be a small price for a core piece-moving forward.

Sorry if I'm rambling a la Tolkein, but I've had a few. I wanted to post this in the General Board, but I'd have to wait fifty more days to do so.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,458

AW: Re: Dear Flip Saunders 

Post#52 » by Foye » Sat Jun 6, 2015 4:08 pm

Goner wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that if Flip has any real intention of moving Rubio, that he would have to go HAM after Schroder? If he is targeting Towns, as he should be, then the possibility of Schroder and Horford's "true form" (KAT) seems like an indomitable combo, as that pick and pop would be completely indefensible.

Schroder could be acquired if Rubio is traded to the Kings for their pick (6th) and taking on Landry's (hugely) negative contract. The pick, which could be parley'ed to Atlanta who is in dire need of a center which would-in turn- free up Horford to his rightful position of PF while simultaneously leading to Millsap becoming superfluous and resourcifying him to facilitate trades to cover Carroll's position should he leave, would be used to draft WCS and fortify and consolidate their frontcourt for the near-future.

If this were to take place, in any form, then the only core position of need would be PF. Flip has stated that he likes Porzingis, but he couldn't be acquired without giving up significant assets, so I think that he should target, instead, Terrence Jones. He is young and talented, but also redundant in Houston, being that DMo stretches the floor better than he does. If he were allowed to play without the constraints of "Morey ball," he could be something special. The ball handling, athleticism and shot blocking of this team's starting 5 would be something of wonder, and he could probably be had for Minny's two second-rounders and filler, which would be a small price for a core piece-moving forward.

Sorry if I'm rambling a la Tolkein, but I've had a few. I wanted to post this in the General Board, but I'd have to wait fifty more days to do so.

There's no way I would trade the 6th pick for Schröder. He's good but not an elite PG. Porzingis/Hezonja/WCS would make much more sense. One can always sign a decent quality PG.

Not to mention we're not getting the pick in the first placd.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using RealGM Forums mobile app
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#53 » by urinesane » Sat Jun 6, 2015 10:38 pm

Just hope Rubio stays healthy next year.

He's better than any of the players he could be traded for and would be a great franchise PG if he can be luckier health wise.

No need to fix things that aren't broken. Take Towns and fix a glaring need. They don't need a SG, Lavine is the future SG if he keeps improving.

They need a big man that can play defense. Nice thing is Towns can do that, shoot high ft%, shoot 3's, score in the post, etc etc.

He fits their biggest need (defensive big man) and is the most intriguing offensively that I have seen in some time. His 3 point shooting potential could make him a crazy hybrid of the best of KG/Love in one player.

Towns is the best all around player in the draft right now and has the highest ceiling of anyone... it's not even close.

Future lineup of:

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Towns
Pek

That's a scary line up for teams to deal with the next few years. They just need to make the easy pick (Towns) and try to stay healthy.

If they keep Pek on a minute restriction and limit his back to back, there are way more combinations with Towns that would work with AB, Dieng, Payne.

I actually think Towns/Payne would be a fun defensive duo. Towns with AB, they could swap either of them in the post or out on the wings, would create a lot of options based on match ups. Dieng and Towns would be a solid defensive duo, Dieng wouldn't need to be the guy trying to help or block every shot with Towns with him. Dieng could post up for offense and Towns could stretch the floor in midrange/3 pt.

Towns is versatile enough that he can get his minutes with a wide variety of big men next to him, and his game is adaptable enough to compliment all of them. He would make things easier for every big man on the Wolves roster.

Towns is basically going to be a bad ass swiss army knife.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#54 » by sfernald » Sat Jun 6, 2015 10:45 pm

urinesane wrote:Just hope Rubio stays healthy next year.

He's better than any of the players he could be traded for and would be a great franchise PG if he can be luckier health wise.

No need to fix things that aren't broken. Take Towns and fix a glaring need. They don't need a SG, Lavine is the future SG if he keeps improving.

They need a big man that can play defense. Nice thing is Towns can do that, shoot high ft%, shoot 3's, score in the post, etc etc.

He fits their biggest need (defensive big man) and is the most intriguing offensively that I have seen in some time. His 3 point shooting potential could make him a crazy hybrid of the best of KG/Love in one player.

Towns is the best all around player in the draft right now and has the highest ceiling of anyone... it's not even close.

The thing is now everyone is saying he's going to be a PF rather than a C in the NBA.

Assuming that's the case for a minute:
1) PF is one of the most plentiful positions, along with PG, in the NBA.
2) The wolves are log-jammed with PFs including a) a recent #1 draft pick, b) a 1st round pick traded for last year that Flip is high on and c) a HOF all-time fan favorite in his twilight

Does this affect the decision making at all (assuming that he is a PF in the NBA)? Do the wolves really need one more PF??
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by urinesane » Sat Jun 6, 2015 10:50 pm

sfernald wrote:

The thing is now everyone is saying he's going to be a PF rather than a C in the NBA.

2) The wolves are log-jammed with PFs including a) a recent #1 draft pick, b) a 1st round pick traded for last year that Flip is high on and c) a HOF all-time fan favorite in his twilight

Does this affect the decision making at all, (assuming that he is a PF in the NBA)? Do the wolves really need one more PF??

He has NBA Center size and he isn't done growing. You don't have to assign him a position.

He will compliment any big man you put him with and when he fills out in his mid 20's, he'll be able to guard the biggest and baddest guy on the other team.

The reason people call him a PF is because the thought of having a 7' 250lbs 19 year old that can shoot 3's, score in the post, shoots FTs at a high rate, rebound, AND plays shut down defense while being able to cover multiple positions.

That's too much for people to call him a center, they shouldn't be that versatile. Towns is basically going to be legit Center size with elite PF skills.

Put him in any position category you want, he's going to be a f*cking beast.

The thing people aren't seeing about Towns is that a player like him hasn't really been seen before... his potential doesn't match any player I can think of.

The only thing that would ever make Towns a PF is playing next to Pek and being listed as PF in the lineup. Size wise he matches up better than Pek height wise than most centers (Pek has more weight though).

He's bigger than Dieng/Payne/Bennett, so he's definitely a Center.
TRKO
Junior

Post#56 » by TRKO » Sat Jun 6, 2015 10:55 pm

sfernald wrote:

Does this affect the decision making at all (assuming that he is a PF in the NBA)? Do the wolves really need one more PF??

The only player who should alter who we pick is Wiggins and he can play the 3 or the 2. Pek can't stay healthy, so he shouldn't be counted on. They say how Towns is a better fit next to Pek, and he is, but to me Pek is irrelevant right now.

I think in today's nba Towns is a 5. I'm not sure he is athletic enough to play with all these small ball 4s. He isn't strong enough down low to be a 5 yet, but he should be able to add muscle.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by urinesane » Sat Jun 6, 2015 11:00 pm

TRKO wrote:
sfernald wrote:

The only player who should alter who we pick is Wiggins and he can play the 3 or the 2. Pek can't stay healthy, so he shouldn't be counted on. They say how Towns is a better fit next to Pek, and he is, but to me Pek is irrelevant right now.

I think in today's nba Towns is a 5. I'm not sure he is athletic enough to play with all these small ball 4s. He isn't strong enough down low to be a 5 yet, but he should be able to add muscle.

Lol, what exactly makes him seem not athletic enough?

He's got NBA Center size. He'd be the tallest guy on the roster and 20 lbs heavier than Dieng, as a 19 year old.

Along with that, he can handle the ball surprisingly well for his size, he passes well, he can score in a multitude of ways and he compliments every Wolves big currently on the roster.

Towns is going to be the prototype for the modern NBA center. A 7' 250lbs player that can score in the post, defend multiple positions, rim protect, pass well, shoot the midrange, shoot a high ft%, and shoot well from 3 would be unheard of... who's ever done all of those things well?

Towns potential is absolutely ridiculous. He is this year's Wiggins and I really hope Flip sees that.
TRKO
Junior

Post#58 » by TRKO » Sat Jun 6, 2015 11:12 pm

I think Towns is ok athletically, but not a freak. With teams going smaller and more athletic at the 4 I think 5 is his best position. But like I said he is really going to have to improve his base strength.

I may have missed it, but I don't remember seeing Towns showing off his handle in game. On the contrary I've seen on multiple occasions Okafor drive to the hoop. That being said I haven't analyzed every Towns game. He has a nice little jump hook. He will need to develop more moves and counter moves in the post. It's quite possible he will, but it isn't automatic.
TRKO
Junior

Post#59 » by TRKO » Sat Jun 6, 2015 11:14 pm

Also we don't know if Towns will shoot great from three. He was 2-8 in college. He has a nice stroke, but it's a reach to say he shoots it well from 3. That would be like me saying Okafor has a midrange game because he made some mid range jumpers. Okafor has mid range potential and Towns has three point potential, but I wouldn't file it away as saying he is a three point shooter.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by urinesane » Sat Jun 6, 2015 11:21 pm

TRKO wrote:Also we don't know if Towns will shoot great from three. He was 2-8 in college. He has a nice stroke, but it's a reach to say he shoots it well from 3. That would be like me saying Okafor has a midrange game because he made some mid range jumpers. Okafor has mid range potential and Towns has three point potential, but I wouldn't file it away as saying he is a three point shooter.

That's not exactly apples to apples. Had Okafor been a mid range shooter in HS I could see the argument for his potential.

Towns was a midrange/3 point shooter in HS (made 127 3 pointers in Highschool), so at least there is something tangible to point to in his past.

Sure there is no guarantee that he will be a great shooter, but he looks pretty damn good right now for a 19 year old. Probably better than Okafor could hope to look from midrange at his best (years down the road if ever).

He plays defense and has the potential to be able to score from anywhere on the floor. That's a pretty good upside. Seems similar to Wiggins' upside...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves