ImageImageImage

** The Official Tyus Jones Thread **

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#121 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Assuming he means Stanley Johnson, I agree with Stephen A. I can see why people like Porzingis though. Absolute giant of a man. If he can buff up, who knows how could he can be. I understand wanting to take that chance, I just like Stanley Johnson a lot.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#122 » by LordBaldric » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:45 pm

I predict Tyus is going to be a massive steal for us.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#123 » by mondry » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Klomp wrote:Man, I never knew your career path is decided by where in the draft you're taken.

I guess Manu Ginobili is destined to be a bust since he went late in the 2nd round.

Some people just aren't comfortable making a bold prediction and want to play it safe, which is fine. More often than not that approach makes you right and it's an approach I use often. Personally I just see something beyond normal players in Tyus, when duke needed a basket it wasn't Okafor's name being called, it was Tyus Jones. I think he has very high BBIQ and very high clutch factor and yes along with athleticism those are things you can't teach, however I don't see a little bit of athleticism holding him back from being an all star level player in a few years.

As for where he was drafted, who cares! Serge Ibaka was picked 24th overall, Paul George went 10th, draft experts and talent evaluators get things wrong all the time. Let's just remember that your draft positioning is based on your maximum potential as a prospect, not as a player so guys like Odom, Embiid, and Thabeet get picked very high and amount to nothing. Jones may not have the highest max potential but I think he has an extremely good chance of reaching 100% of what he does have. Guys like Okafor have much higher max potential so no you don't take Tyus Jones over him, the draft is about "swinging for the fences" but that's also why a Tyus Jones, Paul George, Serge Ibaka can fall to you.

Anyway, I'm down to revisit the thread in a couple years and see what happens, just calling my shot, laugh if you will.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#124 » by jpatrick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:47 pm

While Tyus has Chris Paul size and feel for the game, Paul is much quicker and more explosive vertically (I think posting a 40+ combine vertical). Even Conley is much quicker and explosive. I think Tyus will be a very good backup PG, who could develop eventually into a starter, but I see him more Mike Bibby than superstar if that happens. I'd love to be wrong.
Dleavitt24
Junior
And1: 61

Post#125 » by Dleavitt24 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:58 pm

jpatrick wrote:While Tyus has Chris Paul size and feel for the game, Paul is much quicker and more explosive vertically (I think posting a 40+ combine vertical). Even Conley is much quicker and explosive. I think Tyus will be a very good backup PG, who could develop eventually into a starter, but I see him more Mike Bibby than superstar if that happens. I'd love to be wrong.

Mike Bibby could ball...he was a gamer, competitive and clutch. If tyus could get to Bibby level we would be laughing.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#126 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 pm

People are really high on Tyus, I think a lot of it is homerism. My brother told me that Tyus will have Rubio's starting spot by mid season. I'm like what? He's supposed to be that good? My brother said in the least, Tyus will be finishing games because he has that killer instinct and can shoot.

I don't know about any of that, I just hope he is capable of handling back up point duties.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#127 » by NikolaPekovic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Calinks wrote:People are really high on Tyus, I think a lot of it is homerism. My brother told me that Tyus will have Rubio's starting spot by mid season. I'm like what? He's supposed to be that good? My brother said in the least, Tyus will be finishing games because he has that killer instinct and can shoot.

I don't know about any of that, I just hope he is capable of handling back up point duties.

I don't think people rate Tyus too highly.. It's just that the more casual Sota sports fans tend to think Rubio sucks.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#128 » by horaceworthy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Calinks wrote:People are really high on Tyus, I think a lot of it is homerism. My brother told me that Tyus will have Rubio's starting spot by mid season. I'm like what? He's supposed to be that good? My brother said in the least, Tyus will be finishing games because he has that killer instinct and can shoot.

The hometown angle certainly can't be ignored, but there's more to it than that. He spent his one collegiate season knocking down big shots in big, nationally televised games and earning the nickname Tyus Stones. He was projected by some as a fringe lottoish prospect, higher by a lot of the numbers based models, and the Wolves got him for a few 2nd rounders. Nothing to not be excited about really.

I don't see him taking the starting spot, but outside of Russell and Mudiay in this draft, he's got the most realistic chance at one day being that good. He might be finishing some games eventually, but I think it would be more alongside Rubio. If Martin gets traded I could easily see Flip trusting Tyus more than Lavine. I also think that he showed the ability to drill jumpers in the screen game that complements Rubio both as a backup and backcourt partner.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#129 » by Klomp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 pm

I think the thing that's easy to forget about Tyus is that he's a true point guard. But when you need him to score, he can do that too.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#130 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 pm

I like the comp to Terrell Brandon, as Tyus' ceiling. I don't think Tyus will ever average 15+ ppg in a season, but I could see him as a similar style of play and same type of player.

To the people saying he's going to take over Rubio's starting spot, I just laugh. Rubio is the starting PG barring injury. But that's why they got Tyus — backup primarily, but also as insurance in case Ricky gets hurt. I really think Tyus will fit in well with Wiggins, Towns & Bazz.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#131 » by GopherIt! » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Ignoring hometown favortism, Jones at 24 was a tremendous bargain. He's a different player, but it reminds me of Ty Lawson falling to pick 18 back in 2009.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#132 » by Note30 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 pm

This is asinine. Jones might be good, but for someone to say he's going to steal Rubio's spot is crazy. Just from a financial point of view that wouldn't make sense. Also, Ricky has yet to reach his full potential IMO. Flashes here an there but he hasn't scored or been as active as he was in Spain, and I truly believe he can still be better.

If Jones does become a starter it would be in a few years, not midseason LOL.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#133 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Some flat out awful Tyus takes. I guess I wouldn't expect different from homers though. The kid is average to be nice. He has no distinguishing trait that would point to him being physically able to hang in the NBA. Career back-up...maybe.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#134 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Well this is the same brother who told me Nate Wolters was one of the best players in his draft so I take his evaluations with a grain of salt.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#135 » by guest81 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:20 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:Some flat out awful Tyus takes. I guess I wouldn't expect different from homers though. The kid is average to be nice. He has no distinguishing trait that would point to him being physically able to hang in the NBA. Career back-up...maybe.

Jones is 19 years old. I have no idea how you can come to those conclusions already
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#136 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 pm

guest81 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:Some flat out awful Tyus takes. I guess I wouldn't expect different from homers though. The kid is average to be nice. He has no distinguishing trait that would point to him being physically able to hang in the NBA. Career back-up...maybe.

Jones is 19 years old. I have no idea how you can come to those conclusions already
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#137 » by guest81 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
guest81 wrote:

A 19 year old is unable change physically? He's still a teenager
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#138 » by Vindicater » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 am

Point guards are at the highest premium I have ever seen in over 20 years of following the NBA and yet we think we have a future hall of famer at pick 24?

People need to take a step back, breathe and then think again.

The kid has skills, he wants to be here and he fits a need for us. It was a terrific trade for us and I applaud the move but Jones is more than likely going to be a backup point for his career. Happy to eat crow in a few years but I just don't see the standout athletic ability or instincts (as in physical quick instincts) of the elite prospects
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#139 » by Vindicater » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:26 am

guest81 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
guest81 wrote:

They can grow, adjust and adapt to be sure. The difference is how much elite prospects grow, adapt and change.

As an example. How much growth does Wiggins (an extreme case) have compared to Tyus?
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#140 » by King Malta » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:44 am

guest81 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Spot on.

I highly doubt any 19 year old who's drafted into the NBA is a finished article from a physical perspective.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves