ImageImageImage

It's still early, need to see how the summer shapes up but I'm thinking...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Re: It's still early, need to see how the summer shapes up but I'm thinking... 

Post#61 » by guest81 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
guest81 wrote:whole new teams usually don't win right away. There's something to be said about chemistry and continuity that playoff teams all pretty much share

It's not like none of them have played together though. All of our probable starting five were there in KG's first game (sans Towns, of course). I don't think chemistry will be an issue. Same with the second issue, as three of the five were playing together.

Yea for like what 10 games? Even in that time there was still some pretty big issues. People complaining about Martin taking shots away from Wiggins, Wiggins going long stretches without being involved in the offense, Rubio finding his shot. All these things have to be worked out before they actually start winning. Everybody's role is up in the air for now
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#62 » by NikolaPekovic » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:22 pm

All we have to do is be better than the Suns, Blazers, and Jazz to get that 8th spot.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by guest81 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:44 pm

NikolaPekovic wrote:All we have to do is be better than the Suns, Blazers, and Jazz to get that 8th spot.

Warriors
Spurs
Rockets
Clippers
Thunder
Grizzles
Pels
Mavs
Blazers
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#64 » by phonzadellika » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:10 pm

guest81 wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:All we have to do is be better than the Suns, Blazers, and Jazz to get that 8th spot.

Warriors
Spurs
Rockets
Clippers
Thunder
Grizzles
Pels
Mavs
Blazers

The Blazers shouldn't be on that list.

Warrios, Spurs, Rox, Clips, Thunder, and Griz are definitely still in. Pelicans are probably still in too.

Mavs are iffy, Suns are iffy (a lock if they get Aldridge), Jazz seem like they could put something together.

Right now, healthy, I'd say that we are clearly better than the Blazers, Nuggets, Kings, and Lakers. I could see us being better than one of the Mavs, Suns, or Jazz, but probably not all 3. Not this year, anyway.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#65 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:18 pm

It's not unreasonable to think the Blazers without Aldridge or even the Kings wont be better than us. I expect to be better than the Kings, Blazers could be tough just because they have been a good team and they still have a lot of chemistry I am sure. Mavs have vets but they are looking like they are falling hard, still could be better than us. Pelicans could be better but I think they are catchable, same with the Suns and Jazz.

Only teams I think are 100 percent locks to own our faces are Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, Thunder, Grizzlies

Teams I think we can be in the same ball part with are Jazz, Pelicans, Mavs, Blazers, Lakers, Kings, Nuggets

I feel we have a shot to battle it out for that 8th spot, it will be a tall order but we could be in the mix.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#66 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:31 pm

Blazers????

They lost 3/5 of their starting lineup and one of them is their best player in Aldridge. No way in hell are they better than us.

Mavs lost Tyson, Monta, Barea and Rondo. If they get Deandre then they'll be better defensively, but no way are they better than us unless they sign someone else that's a difference maker.

The teams we are going to compete with for 7 and 8 are the Jazz/Pelicans. Tyson Chandler isn't making a difference in PHX.

Just because they Wolves are young doesn't mean they're going to suck. I know playoff hopes are unrealistic, but it's not crazy to think we'll be in the mix of everyone can stay healthy
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#67 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:42 pm

I think if we can avoid the injury bug ā€” like GSW did this past season ā€” then we can seriously push for a playoff spot. I don't care how young and inexperienced we are. We have talent. We have veteran leadership in KG & Martin. As long as we stay healthy, we can compete for a playoff berth.

But when's the last time we went an entire season without losing 5+ players for lengthy stretches? Hopefully, considering all the injuries we've had the past 4-5 years, the pendulum will swing the other way and we'll stay healthy.

I'm not talking about everyone playing 82 games. Just avoid the catastrophic injury to key players.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by guest81 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:26 pm

The Blazers were 35 games better then the Wolves. That's a pretty massive le into saying that the Wolves are now clearly better then them

I do seem to remember a lot of people were picking the Rockets to miss the playoffs because they lost Parsons. Not exactly the same situation, but it's going to take a hell of a lot to make up 35 games
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#69 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:37 pm

guest81 wrote:The Blazers were 35 games better then the Wolves. That's a pretty massive le into saying that the Wolves are now clearly better then them

I do seem to remember a lot of people were picking the Rockets to miss the playoffs because they lost Parsons. Not exactly the same situation, but it's going to take a hell of a lot to make up 35 games

Not really they are going to lose 4/5 starters and their bench is one of the worst if not the worst in the league.

They are going to be one of the worst teams in the NBA.

35 games not only includes loss of LMA/Matthews/Batum/Lopez but also wolves getting back Rubio/Bazz and the addition of Towns/Bjelica and 2nd years from Wiggins and Lavine.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#70 » by mondry » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:12 pm

can't just ignore the million minutes worth of time our top 7 players lost to injury. That's by far the biggest gap closer, period. Second is our own improvement from the young guys. Way down the line in 3rd is other teams getting worse.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#71 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:54 pm

The Wolves are a team of mystery in the west. It's hard to project because the team has a lot of question marks.

1. Will Ricky Rubio be healthy and improve his jump shot?
2. Will Wiggins improve into an All-Star candidate, average more than 20?
3. Will LaVine progress to the point where its' a matter of when not if he takes over the starting 2 guard spot from Martin
4. Will Towns be the defensive force he was drafted to be and add a diverse skill set offensively?

If we can get positive answers to those questions, it can be a solid season
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#72 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:02 pm

guest81 wrote:The Blazers were 35 games better then the Wolves. That's a pretty massive le into saying that the Wolves are now clearly better then them

The players that won them 35 more games are gone besides Dame
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#73 » by Saltine » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:09 am

Portland is toast, I think someone missed the past few days, Aldridge, Batum, Lopez, Matthews, Afflalo all gone or leaving. Lillard, Aminu, Davis, and Kaman are not exactly scary, and they have no chemistry. Dallas looks pretty thin, assuming Aldridge ends up with the Spurs, the Suns aren't all that hot either.

We were at 40 wins with Love, we've lost him and half, or more, of Pek's production, but gained Wiggins, Zach, Towns, Bjelica, Tyus, and a more experienced Bazz and Gorgui. Assuming we can actually be fairly healthy, 40ish wins is plausible. We should have been around thirty something last year if healthy. Fighting for the eighth seems doable :-)

Ricky/Tyus
Martin/Zach/(Budinger)
Wiggins/Bazz/Hummel
KG/Bjelica/Payne/(Bennett)
Towns/Dieng/Pek

The second string is pretty good however you mix it up, we've got good depth when healthy.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#74 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:02 pm

Dallas is provaly in too.

Jordan ?
Nowitzki
Parsons
Matthews

Pretty good.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#75 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:46 pm

Yeah, Dallas just made themselves a contender again. They need a better PG but there's not that many out there with the cap space they have...Rondo would have been perfect but he's a little biatch
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#76 » by Sugarless » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:34 pm

It was clear that Dallas was going to be a lock to make the playoffs. They were always the favourites to land Jordan and Matthews, and they're not done yet on this free agency. Plus, they have great veteran guys and one of the best coaches in the league.

Let's not count other teams out so easily...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#77 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:25 am

Worth noting that we split the series with them last year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#78 » by Calinks » Sat Jul 4, 2015 5:39 am

Dallas just lowered our already low chances. They are not falling out of the playoff race likely.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#79 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jul 9, 2015 7:27 am

Calinks wrote:Dallas just lowered our already low chances. They are not falling out of the playoff race likely.

Now Dallas is out, which means two playoff teams from a year ago will most likely miss the playoffs (Blazers,Mavs)

You assume OKC gets in which makes it 6 teams that are 90% sure to make it barring major injuries and 1 team that seems like it has a good chance of making it again:

90% to make it:
Spurs
Clips
Rockets
Thunder
Warriors
Grizzlies

Likely to make it again due to elite player:
Pelicans

That leaves Suns/Jazz/Wolves/Kings fighting for the last spot..I honestly think we have a better and more talented roster than ANY of those teams, it will be fun to say the least.

Suns:
Bledsoe
Knight
??
Morris
Chandler

Jazz
Exum
Hood
Hayward
Millsap
Gobert

Wolves
Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
KG
Towns

Kings
Rondo
Mclemore
Gay
Cousins
WCS
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#80 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 3:13 pm

I don't know why people are high on the Kings and Suns.

SAC is an internal combustion waiting to happen with Rondo, Cousins, WCS, Gay and Karl. If that team goes the entire season without tearing itself apart, it would be an NBA miracle.

And I think PHX has been overplaying their potential the last couple of seasons, and even then it hasn't been enough to make the playoffs. It wouldn't surprise me if they took a step back.

The Jazz could take a step forward considering how they ended last season playing at such a high level.

But, barring injury, I think we're the most talented team of a group of teams that includes PHX, SAC, UTAH, DAL, POR, LAL, etc.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves