ImageImageImage

TC turns 25, Renovation Update

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Re: TC turns 25, Renovation Update 

Post#21 » by Minnesota Power » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:13 pm

I'll reserve judgment til I see it in person, the wood has potential to be pretty cool. Could go either way, could look awesome or look awful.
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#22 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:23 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/712673452801400832[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Timberwolves/status/712671877810946049[/tweet]

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/target-center-larger-life-renovation-add-massive-video-display-boards
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#23 » by C.lupus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Jeez, the scoreboard will be twice the size of my house.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#24 » by Basti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:47 pm

Hopefully they'll also bring new jerseys and a new floor along with the TC renovation. It's not like I think they're ugly but why not go all the way into another chapter of Wolves history?
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#25 » by Mattya » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:16 am

Basti wrote:Hopefully they'll also bring new jerseys and a new floor along with the TC renovation. It's not like I think they're ugly but why not go all the way into another chapter of Wolves history?

I think Doogie just released a new edition of his scoops mentioning that they are aiming for a rebrand for next summer (2017/18) season. That summer the reno will be done and I think the Nike deal kicks in. I think he said new jerseys possibly new court. Both would make sense.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#26 » by PharmD » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:37 am

Cherry_Grape wrote:
PharmD wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that looks ugly as ****?

Your not the only one.

The fairy tale known as Noah's Ark was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it.

haha perfect
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#27 » by Calinks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:09 am

Klomp wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/712673452801400832[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Timberwolves/status/712671877810946049[/tweet]

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/target-center-larger-life-renovation-add-massive-video-display-boards

Awesome. Our scoreboard is trash right now.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by Minnesota Power » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Went to my first Wild game last night, a vastly superior experience then any of the times I went to a Timberwolves game. The Target Center is a huge dump in comparison to Xcel.

At the Xcel, the whole place including the upper level was packed whereas when I go to a Timberwolves game the majority of the upper level is empty (though this has nothing to do with Target Center, this is a Timberwolves problem, not a Target Center problem)

And our current Timberwolves scoreboard, looks like it would of been modern in 1990.

This renovation is sorely needed. Not even sure how the Target Center competes in it's current state. Not to mention, a lot of the other things that we don't see as fans/customers/regular people such as the supposedly terrible loading docks and all the other negative things I hear about.

Good things about Target Center is the location (the location is fantastic), the parking (the ABC ramps make it so easy and you enter and exit directly from 394, and they only cost $10 whereas I paid $20 to park in a ramp at the Xcel), and unlike some outdated NBA arenas it's a really nice size. One of the biggest complaints about Key Arena where the Supersonics used to play was the size.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Cherry_Grape wrote:Went to my first Wild game last night, a vastly superior experience then any of the times I went to a Timberwolves game. The Target Center is a huge dump in comparison to Xcel, the place including the upper level was packed whereas when I go to a Timberwolves game the majority of the upper level is empty.

And our current Timberwolves scoreboard, looks like it would of been modern in 1990.

This renovation is sorely needed. Not even sure how the Target Center competes in it's current state. Not to mention, a lot of the other things that we don't see as fans/customers/regular people such as the supposedly terrible loading docks and all the other negative things I hear about.

Well, that is because it opened in 1990 and Xcel opened 10 years later. I would sure hope the experience is better.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by Minnesota Power » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:26 pm

I was just giving an honest comparison between the two arenas. Wasn't meant to be negative or derogatory, more of a how badly the Target Center needs these renovations. And the stuff I listed was all legit, it's not like I listed illegitimate stuff such as"The Xcel has some hot bartenders whereas Target Center is a bunch of ugly dudes" I'm a bigger Timberwovles fan then I am Wild fan (though that may be changing, I've become quite interested in hockey recently and am starting to focus more on it instead of basketball) which explains why I've been to numerous Wolves game and haven't been to a Wild game before last night.

Yes the Xcel opened 10 years later, but the Xcel in 2016 is much better then the Target Center in 2006. And I understand a lot changed in terms of how arenas are made and designed from 1990 to 2000. And the Target Center already had a renovation in 2004 and is still way behind. And I was still typing out my post w hen you replied, I noted numerous positives of the Target Center as well, it was doom and gloom and negatives.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#31 » by King Malta » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Also went to my first Wild game last night, was good fun.

The arena is definitely a lot nicer than the Target Centre, but as Mattya said, there's a big difference in the date they were built.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#32 » by C.lupus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Cherry_Grape wrote:I was just giving an honest comparison between the two arenas. Wasn't meant to be negative or derogatory, more of a how badly the Target Center needs these renovations. And the stuff I listed was all legit, it's not like I listed illegitimate stuff such as"The Xcel has some hot bartenders whereas Target Center is a bunch of ugly dudes" I'm a bigger Timberwovles fan then I am Wild fan (though that may be changing, I've become quite interested in hockey recently and am starting to focus more on it instead of basketball) which explains why I've been to numerous Wolves game and haven't been to a Wild game before last night.

Yes the Xcel opened 10 years later, but the Xcel in 2016 is much better then the Target Center in 2006. And I understand a lot changed in terms of how arenas are made and designed from 1990 to 2000. And the Target Center already had a renovation in 2004 and is still way behind. And I was still typing out my post w hen you replied, I noted numerous positives of the Target Center as well, it was doom and gloom and negatives.

I had forgotten about that 2004 renovation. I just looked up what they did:
In 2004, Target Center underwent a major renovation that saw the replacement of all 19,006 of its original seats plus the addition of nearly 1,500 new seats as well as the reconfiguration of the lower bowl to make the arena more fan-friendly. In addition the arena's original scoreboard was replaced with a new state-of-the-art 9-by-16 foot video screen and state-of-the-art LED signage, LED signage on the upper deck fascia, a new luxury lounge (Club Cambria) and improved access for fans with disabilities.

It's crazy how much "state-of-the-art" has changed in ten years.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Cherry_Grape wrote:I was just giving an honest comparison between the two arenas. Wasn't meant to be negative or derogatory, more of a how badly the Target Center needs these renovations. And the stuff I listed was all legit, it's not like I listed illegitimate stuff such as"The Xcel has some hot bartenders whereas Target Center is a bunch of ugly dudes" I'm a bigger Timberwovles fan then I am Wild fan (though that may be changing, I've become quite interested in hockey recently and am starting to focus more on it instead of basketball) which explains why I've been to numerous Wolves game and haven't been to a Wild game before last night.

I didn't say anything about the legitimacy of your points, but again you are comparing two buildings that were originally built a decade apart. Of course there are going to be major differences. The renovation in 2004 was nothing in comparison to the renovation that will be coming up. It addresses not only what the renovations in 2004 did, but also address concourses, entrances, exterior, accessibility to wifi.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by Minnesota Power » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:58 pm

King Malta wrote:Also went to my first Wild game last night, was good fun.

The arena is definitely a lot nicer than the Target Centre, but as Mattya said, there's a big difference in the date they were built.

Couldn't of been a better first game to go to. Wild beat the Flames 6-2, Parise gets a hat trick in the first period and they did a great job taking advantage of their power plays.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:13 pm

C.lupus wrote:I had forgotten about that 2004 renovation. I just looked up what they did:
In 2004, Target Center underwent a major renovation that saw the replacement of all 19,006 of its original seats plus the addition of nearly 1,500 new seats as well as the reconfiguration of the lower bowl to make the arena more fan-friendly. In addition the arena's original scoreboard was replaced with a new state-of-the-art 9-by-16 foot video screen and state-of-the-art LED signage, LED signage on the upper deck fascia, a new luxury lounge (Club Cambria) and improved access for fans with disabilities.

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by Minnesota Power » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I had forgotten about that 2004 renovation. I just looked up what they did:

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing.

Just look at cell phones for example. Motorola Razr came out 2004. When you look at it now compared to a current Iphone or Samsung Galaxy, oh man.... LOL
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#37 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Cherry_Grape wrote:

Couldn't of been a better first game to go to. Wild beat the Flames 6-2, Parise gets a hat trick in the first period and they did a great job taking advantage of their power plays.

bet it wasn't as good as this hat trick
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Video board comparisons:
Old: 9-by-16
New: 18-by-33
Indiana: 21-by-50 (baseline screens are 14-by-25)

King Malta
Starter

Post#39 » by King Malta » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Cherry_Grape wrote:

bet it wasn't as good as this hat trick

I can do that, I just don't wanna
King Malta
Starter

Post#40 » by King Malta » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:22 pm

Cherry_Grape wrote:

Too right, brilliant advertisement of the sport for someone like me.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves