Who will fill the void?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Re: Who will fill the void? 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Interesting that there's so many doubters of Milt Newton. He was Flip's right hand man here for two seasons...since practically the beginning. While Flip deserves the credit for the team he built, Newton is part of that team. He brought Milt in and named him GM for a reason. They've worked side by side to build this team over the last two years.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
sheefo13
Junior
And1: 79

Post#22 » by sheefo13 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Klomp wrote:Interesting that there's so many doubters of Milt Newton. He was Flip's right hand man here for two seasons...since practically the beginning. While Flip deserves the credit for the team he built, Newton is part of that team. He brought Milt in and named him GM for a reason. They've worked side by side to build this team over the last two years.

Exactly. Flip has credited Milt a few times for orchestrating moves. I think Milt will get his chance and doesn't need to be worried about his position or really making many moves.

The big question is getting the right guy to coach and develop the young players. And Sam Mitchell will get a season to interview for that position. Otherwise I have to imagine a long term replacement will be looked for this summer. JVG is ideal. Cassell and Billups are possibilities. I think Thibs gets consideration. I also think Tom Izzo has to be mentioned as well, knowing Flip and Tom's relationship.
www.timberrebuilder.com
Like on Facebook, twitter, & Instagram @timberrebuilder
Rebuilding Wolves Fandom since 2004.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#23 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm

We don't really know much about Milt's basketball philosophy. He may have orchestrated some moves, but to Flip's end. It's a job we haven't seen Milt do and it's a job we didn't hire him to do. There at least has to be consideration of others.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#24 » by LaViggins » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Agree with the others. Milt is a guy Flip had trust in. And I believe he can keep us on track to where we were headed.

"I have followed Milt closely during his career and have always been impressed with his basketball knowledge, work ethic and professionalism," Saunders said in a statement issued by the team. "His front-office experience in the NBA, as well as his ability to combine analytics evaluation with his basketball playing and scouting background will greatly benefit our organization."

Saunders will continue to have final say on all organizational issues with the Wolves. But Newton will help with scouting, salary cap management, trade talks and other personnel issues.

"Milt possesses an extraordinary skill set that is a great fit for the Timberwolves organization," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement issued by the Wolves. "His exceptional work ethic and basketball acumen played a large role in the launch and success of the NBA Development League. I am extremely pleased for Milt and the Timberwolves who will no doubt benefit from the tremendous experience he brings to their front office."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9642132/milt-newton-hired-minnesota-timberwolves-general-manager
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#25 » by C.lupus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:20 pm

I wonder if they might bump Milt up to POBO and have Garnett be GM/apprentice (after KG retires of course). I'm trying to figure where KG might fit in a front office. I can't see him at a desk and on the phone all day but he might be good at taking over some of those "scouting, trade talks, and personnel issues" while learning other aspects of the job.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:32 pm

C.lupus wrote:I wonder if they might bump Milt up to POBO and have Garnett be GM/apprentice (after KG retires of course). I'm trying to figure where KG might fit in a front office. I can't see him at a desk and on the phone all day but he might be good at taking over some of those "scouting, trade talks, and personnel issues" while learning other aspects of the job.

He'll be in ownership. That's all I see him being interested in.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#27 » by Worm Guts » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 am

Klomp wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I wonder if they might bump Milt up to POBO and have Garnett be GM/apprentice (after KG retires of course). I'm trying to figure where KG might fit in a front office. I can't see him at a desk and on the phone all day but he might be good at taking over some of those "scouting, trade talks, and personnel issues" while learning other aspects of the job.

I don't know if you remember McHales role before he was POBO, but that's how I see Garnett's role after his retirement. He won't have a defined job but he'll work with players and maybe be a sounding board for coaches or front office.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:30 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I don't know if you remember McHales role before he was POBO, but that's how I see Garnett's role after his retirement. He won't have a defined job but he'll work with players and maybe be a sounding board for coaches or front office.

I don't. Before my time.

subwayJ
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#29 » by subwayJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:46 am

Could we potentially get in Rick Carlisle ear offering him head coach and president of basketball operation duties?

Not sure where we will turn re: ownership. Surely the team is much more valuable to GT now with the influx of young talent, could the relocation vulture's start circling with out our fearless leader?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#30 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:23 am

The absolute best call would be signing Tony Bennett, is not going to happen though.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#31 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Fischella wrote:The absolute best call would be signing Tony Bennett, is not going to happen though.

That would be my #1 too - at least from the college ranks.
gopherman23
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#32 » by gopherman23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Fischella wrote:The absolute best call would be signing Tony Bennett, is not going to happen though.

That would be my #1 too - at least from the college ranks.

Izzo would be at the top of my list from the college ranks as well. Highly doubtful he would consider it though.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#33 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:23 pm

I doubt Izzo ever coaches in the NBA
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#34 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Izzo's time has passed. Not for being a good NBA coach, but for making that big of a lifestyle change.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Izzo's time has passed. Not for being a good NBA coach, but for making that big of a lifestyle change.

I agree, and I think Flip is the only man who could've gotten him to make that change.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 3, 2015 10:24 am

Dave Joerger might not have a job by the end of the season. Would anyone be interested?

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#37 » by C.lupus » Tue Nov 3, 2015 10:54 am

Yes.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#38 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Nov 3, 2015 11:16 am

You heard it here first...

KG will be the Wolves Head coach next season. Already basically coaching this year. That's part of the reason why he's so invested.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#39 » by minimus » Tue Nov 3, 2015 11:19 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1h6K13KLfY[/youtube]
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#40 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Nov 3, 2015 11:24 am

minimus wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1h6K13KLfY[/youtube]