ImageImageImage

Future Free Agent Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

rednal
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#541 » by rednal » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:46 pm

It would be great if Twolves can add Deng and Delly. Both with the draft pick make the team a solid PO contender for next year.

Deng can play the PF position next to Towns if he's a starter or the SF if he comes out from the bench.

I would love a team like

Ricky-Lavine-Wiggins-Dieng-Towns

Jones-Delly-Deng-Bjelica- backup C
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#542 » by Note30 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:11 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Could we become a contender with Gasol, Deng and Hield added to our team ?

Not next year.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#543 » by Saltine » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Gasol moves like a glacier, he's a terrible fit with Zach and Wiggins. Gorgui, Marvin WIlliams, or Luol Deng are much better fits at the 4.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#544 » by C.lupus » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:35 pm

I'm really hesitant to add Marvin Williams. He's having a career year at 29 in a contract year. That scares me. Deng on the other hand would be a great addition.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#545 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:40 pm

ace625214 wrote:I don't think there's any chance Horford would sign here. He's gone on record saying he wants to play in a large market with a large Hispanic fanbase. Even with the Towns connection, I really doubt he would come to Minneapolis.

Not really. He just pointed that out as a possibility.

“Atlanta has the potential for a guy like myself to maximize [the business] part of it,” Horford told Yahoo Sports. “But obviously there are other cities, bigger cities that are more appealing probably [business- and marketing-wise]. The impact would be bigger if that is what you are looking for.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hawks--al-horford-expanding-his-game-as-free-agency-looms-232658396.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#546 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Saltine wrote:Gasol moves like a glacier, he's a terrible fit with Zach and Wiggins. Gorgui, Marvin WIlliams, or Luol Deng are much better fits at the 4.

Towns would be the 4, just like how most teams were defending him when he shared the court with Dieng this past year.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#547 » by Sugarless » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
Saltine wrote:Gasol moves like a glacier, he's a terrible fit with Zach and Wiggins. Gorgui, Marvin WIlliams, or Luol Deng are much better fits at the 4.

Towns would be the 4, just like how most teams were defending him when he shared the court with Dieng this past year.

Yep, if Pau signed with the Wolves he'd definitely be the one playing C and staying close to the rim on defense, where he's still very valuable.
GI_Slow
Pro Prospect
And1: 381

Post#548 » by GI_Slow » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Sugarless wrote:
GI_Slow wrote:
ace625214 wrote:I don't think there's any chance Horford would sign here. He's gone on record saying he wants to play in a large market with a large Hispanic fanbase. Even with the Towns connection, I really doubt he would come to Minneapolis.

Large hispanic fanbase as in what?, most of people down here like popular or winning teams like the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Bulls. If anything out of the small market teams the Wolves have had some attention due to guys like Ricky, KAT and MJ Barea.

I can assure you, despite Al being in ATL, it's harder to find a Hawks fan than a Wolves fan, though still rare (in South America at least).

He means Hispanic fanbase as in playing in Orlando, Miami, LA...

The only situation that makes sense is Miami then, but they have no capspace, Orlando has the same chances as we do imo
Sugarless
Starter

Post#549 » by Sugarless » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:32 pm

C.lupus wrote:I'm really hesitant to add Marvin Williams. He's having a career year at 29 in a contract year. That scares me. Deng on the other hand would be a great addition.

It's a reasonable fear, but I wouldn't read it in those terms with Marvin Williams. He was always a nice player in Atlanta and Utah, it's just taken him a while to find his niche in the league and it's come with everyone turning more and more often to smallball, where players like him are now very valuable whereas they were just tweeners with no clear role before. I think he'll be fine going forward and he should be on a friendlier contract than some of the alternatives. It'll be interesting to see where he lands if he leaves Charlotte, as they have a lot on their table this summer with several key players becoming free agents, tons of capspace to retain them or go after different guys (they really need a quality C), and MKG's extension kicking in at 13M per season for that same forward position.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#550 » by Saltine » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Klomp wrote:

My point there was that he is so damn slow he'd mess with the team. Not his position. Have you guys watched him lately? He'd completely nullify our speed. He'll be 36 next season...
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Post#551 » by firyGM » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Saltine wrote:
Klomp wrote:

My point there was that he is so damn slow he'd mess with the team. Not his position. Have you guys watched him lately? He'd completely nullify our speed. He'll be 36 next season...

Yes, he is very slow now. However, Gasol is an awesome PF for static attacks. He could do something similar to Noah with Thibs. He had been played in the Offensive Triangle, he can moves the ball, he has the ability to make his own shoots and he has a lot of IQ. Moreover it isn't necessary that Gasol will be start player and plays 30 minutes per game. He could be very useful for us playing 20 minutes. A roster need different and experienced players.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#552 » by Sugarless » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Saltine wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I've watched every one of his games and that means nothing if you know how to use him. Andrew Bogut is in much worse shape than Pau, he has a much more extense injury history, can't play 24 minutes a game, and yet he's critical for the Warriors who were the team with the fastest pace last season and second fastest this year. It's merely a matter of roles on the court, as not all 5 players on a team run in transition and not every big has to be the first getting position down low on every attack.

And yet, as you know I've said other times, Pau is not coming to Minnesota and I don't think it'd be the best fit for either side anyway (though Thibs arrival makes it more interesting). But it's not because he'd mess anything, it just happens that I believe this team should be heading towards having Towns as the starting C with a stretch-4 by his side, and Pau will definitely be looking for a team that can contend for a championship right now.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#553 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:58 am

I would sign deng to come off the bench and I definitely wouldn't put him at PF primarily. He'd get spot minutes as a 4 but I see him as a 3 bringing necessary gritty defense next to bazz and bjelica . He would be great to show guys what thibs runs but I'm not excited in the quality of play were gonna get from Deng in the next 3-4 years

Idk what Deng is going to want but I would rather spend it on stealing Allen Crabbe from portland and sign some random thib vet to play tayshaun prince/ Andre miller/kg role. Still Deng would be a nice addition to help the guys out along with KG
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#554 » by Dewey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:36 am

Thibs will bring in a couple players capable of allowing him to put any of the young players on the bench until they learn to perform at a consistently high level. This is the NBA ... The best of the best making millions. Do your job.

IMO KG just cannot get it done anymore ... I'd like to see ownership get him involved off the court. Prince is OK for me ... Flip talked him into coming in and I'd like to see him given a chance to stay. He don't need more than 15 minutes a night. Deng would be a little younger option I'd have a hard time saying no to, but knowing we need a shooter, I don't know that he is the right guy.

Find big who can play in rotation with Kat and Dieng ... get a reliable shooter - then shore up the bench.

Not making a trade pitch but maybe converting a Bazz/Prince combo into Deng would be a start ... Draft a shooter?
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#555 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:28 am

Everyone assumes Thibodeau will sign or trade for all of his old players from Chicago. However, I think he might look instead for players who offer similar skill sets at a younger age and/or cheaper price.

Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#556 » by Nitroglycerin » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:12 am

I hope Thibs give the Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Dieng-KAT lineup a chance before deciding to replace Lavine and Dieng with vets.
I hope Lavine and Dieng does well in training camp so that Thibs will be comfortable trotting that lineup on opening night
Trust the PRosas!
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#557 » by shangrila » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:04 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:I hope Thibs give the Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Dieng-KAT lineup a chance before deciding to replace Lavine and Dieng with vets.
I hope Lavine and Dieng does well in training camp so that Thibs will be comfortable trotting that lineup on opening night

I think Dieng is a good candidate to get replaced. Not because he's bad but neither he nor Towns had much success guarding stretch 4s last season and that would probably drive Thibs mad.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#558 » by shangrila » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:07 am

Klomp wrote:Everyone assumes Thibodeau will sign or trade for all of his old players from Chicago. However, I think he might look instead for players who offer similar skill sets at a younger age and/or cheaper price.

Maybe. Part of the idea behind getting players he's already coached is that they should help with acclimating everyone else to his system.

I think it will be a combination. I think he'll pursue Deng and Noah but be looking at other guys (Courtney Lee?) to help fill some of the other voids.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#559 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:31 am

shangrila wrote:Maybe. Part of the idea behind getting players he's already coached is that they should help with acclimating everyone else to his system.

You mean like a Kevin Garnett?

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#560 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:46 am

shangrila wrote:
Nitroglycerin wrote:I hope Thibs give the Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Dieng-KAT lineup a chance before deciding to replace Lavine and Dieng with vets.

I think Dieng is a good candidate to get replaced. Not because he's bad but neither he nor Towns had much success guarding stretch 4s last season and that would probably drive Thibs mad.

Thibs had Noah-Gasol starting. Which one out of those is good at chasing quick 4s? He also had Boozer starting.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves