ImageImageImage

Robson Q&A with Mitchell

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Re: Robson Q&A with Mitchell 

Post#61 » by Feilong » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:47 pm

lobishome wrote:Peko still hadn't played at Jan 7 and he is talking about the players who had played, and I can't understand he thinks Bjelica doesn't know to playbasketball.

Even if Pek hadn't played before Jan 7 he still should have named at least Bjelica.
But Pek already played before that date, so you are wrong.
He doesn't name Bjelica, Pek maybe Rudez etc because he needs excuses why we are not winning.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#62 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Feilong wrote:

Imagine Popovich and his assistants sitting and reading this stuff. I can hear them laughing ....

Yeah I don't think they would. They'd probably agree with almost everything.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#63 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Feilong wrote:
lobishome wrote:Peko still hadn't played at Jan 7 and he is talking about the players who had played, and I can't understand he thinks Bjelica doesn't know to playbasketball.

Even if Pek hadn't played before Jan 7 he still should have named at least Bjelica.
He doesn't name Bjelica, Pek maybe Rudez etc because he needs excuses why we are not winning.

Nitpicking whether Pek should be listed because he played 1 day before the interview is kind of ridiculous.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#64 » by lobishome » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Pekovic returns was the Jan 6 and he only played 15 min.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#65 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:05 pm

C.lupus wrote:Sam really needs to work on his people skills if he wants to continue being a head coach. I don't think much of what he said is wrong but the way he talks to people just makes you want to tune him out. It's really disrespectful. That's probably happening with players, too.

I noticed a lot of that too. I was stunned by his response on our shooting and KAT:

"Yes. He is our most consistent shooter. K-Mart is supposed to be a shooter. Karl is a better shooter than him. A 20-year-old rookie."

Now would you want to play for a coach who says something like that about you? I know I wouldn't.

Anyway, I don't like his whole idea where he claims it is undeniable that he teaches players the right things because his livelihood depends on it. He seems to be so delusional in thinking that he can do no wrong and that the only reason a player wouldn't work out for us is if he just couldn't learn. It is unbelievable that this guy still hasn't considered the option that he just isn't competent enough of a teacher, either in having knowledge or being unable to transfer his knowledge to the players, or both.
Feilong
Veteran

Post#66 » by Feilong » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Nitpicking whether Pek should be listed because he played 1 day before the interview is kind of ridiculous.

Yes i agree that it is nitpicking but if you add everything you get the entire picture.
He gave a 65 mins interview ok?
How many times did he blame himself for the results? That he did some things wrong. How many?
How many times he blamed everybody else? He is such a great coach but we don't win because bla bla bla bla.
If we didn't (magically seems) win 8 games in the beginning we will be on pace to win 14 games this season.
Last year with half team injured we won 16.
Too bad for him Kander is here and everyone is healthy otherwise he would have another excuse (health) while trying to justify his incompetence.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#67 » by LesGrossman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:22 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Sam really needs to work on his people skills if he wants to continue being a head coach. I don't think much of what he said is wrong but the way he talks to people just makes you want to tune him out. It's really disrespectful. That's probably happening with players, too.

I noticed a lot of that too. I was stunned by his response on our shooting and KAT:

"Yes. He is our most consistent shooter. K-Mart is supposed to be a shooter. Karl is a better shooter than him. A 20-year-old rookie."

Now would you want to play for a coach who says something like that about you? I know I wouldn't.

Anyway, I don't like his whole idea where he claims it is undeniable that he teaches players the right things because his livelihood depends on it. He seems to be so delusional in thinking that he can do no wrong and that the only reason a player wouldn't work out for us is if he just couldn't learn. It is unbelievable that this guy still hasn't considered the option that he just isn't competent enough of a teacher, either in having knowledge or being unable to transfer his knowledge to the players, or both.

Thats him. The players are unintelligent and lack muscle. The press is incompetent, usually he trashes them. He laughs at people telling him what he does wrong, as he said in that interview. THink about that: his job is to teach people to improve. He punishes people for not listening to him or not adapting to his lessons quick enough. At the same time, he himself does not listen to anyone, and is proud of it. Noone knows a thing but him, because he can hang with Pop and the great coaches.

I have a guess why, after being so harsh in the press conferences, he sits down with a media guy for one hour. But what do you think why he does it now? Because he wants to share his wisdom all of a sudden? BEcause he wants us to know that Lavine is dumb and Gorgui is not?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#68 » by minimus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 pm

I have not seen a coach in NBA who blamed himself for a loss. In Europe yes.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#69 » by LesGrossman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Feilong wrote:

Nitpicking whether Pek should be listed because he played 1 day before the interview is kind of ridiculous.

But saying he cant judge wether Pek can play because he hasnt seen him play is just plain nonsense all the same. Like there werent houndreds of hours of video. Like he isnt in practise for weeks and months before showing up in a game.

Truth is, he is openly disrespecting european players and favoring others for no apparent reason. He does not name Bjelica, Pek and Rudez because he simply doesnt care for them. He cant bench Ricky because of the obvious benefits but he still does tnot think very high of him, thats also clear from this interview.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Feilong
Veteran

Post#70 » by Feilong » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:26 pm

minimus wrote:I have not seen a coach in NBA who blamed himself for a loss. In Europe yes.

"I just need to do a better job," he added. "This is more on me. We’ve had multiple times where we’re just not playing to a standard where we need to play to. We’ve had multiple practices where certain guys have really looked good and stood out because others haven’t, and that’s just bad coaching. I’ll get myself straightened out, and I’ll work on what needs to be changed."

~Brad Stevens after BOS vs BRN game
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#71 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:32 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:

He's not doing it maliciously, he's just not sugar-coating it. Jeff Van Gundy would say the same thing.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#72 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:34 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Feilong wrote:

But saying he cant judge wether Pek can play because he hasnt seen him play is just plain nonsense all the same. Like there werent houndreds of hours of video. Like he isnt in practise for weeks and months before showing up in a game.

Truth is, he is openly disrespecting european players and favoring others for no apparent reason. He does not name Bjelica, Pek and Rudez because he simply doesnt care for them. He cant bench Ricky because of the obvious benefits but he still does tnot think very high of him, thats also clear from this interview.

We're not talking about whether he can judge him, we're talking whether he mentioned him. It's probably pretty easy to forget a guy hasn't played all season.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#73 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Shots fired at Penbernanthy lol. Didn't mention anything about him being great at helping shooters haha.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#74 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:13 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:

Yes. I don't want my boss to sugarcoat when I could be doing something better. This is the real world. Tell it like it is.

Kevin Martin is not a consistent shooter. If he doesn't like to hear that, he can go somewhere else.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#75 » by FargoWolf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Klomp wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Yes. I don't want my boss to sugarcoat when I could be doing something better. This is the real world. Tell it like it is.

Kevin Martin is not a consistent shooter. If he doesn't like to hear that, he can go somewhere else.

Not sure you would want your boss broadcasting it out to the entire world. That is what made Flip so good, he could be critical but still positive. It is something not everyone can do. Sam just doesn't have that ability, he always comes off as an arrogant know it all and I am sure it wears on the players. To me that is the main thing this entire article reinforces.

Sam may have a ton of basketball knowledge but I don't think he has the ability or method to teach it in a way that gets the players to take it all in.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#76 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:57 pm

FargoWolf wrote:Not sure you would want your boss broadcasting it out to the entire world. That is what made Flip so good, he could be critical but still positive. It is something not everyone can do. Sam just doesn't have that ability, he always comes off as an arrogant know it all and I am sure it wears on the players. To me that is the main thing this entire article reinforces.

Yet if he didn't do interviews like this, he would be called out by fans for not talking to the media openly about players like Flip used to do.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#77 » by LesGrossman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Klomp wrote:
FargoWolf wrote:Not sure you would want your boss broadcasting it out to the entire world. That is what made Flip so good, he could be critical but still positive. It is something not everyone can do. Sam just doesn't have that ability, he always comes off as an arrogant know it all and I am sure it wears on the players. To me that is the main thing this entire article reinforces.

Yet if he didn't do interviews like this, he would be called out by fans for not talking to the media openly about players like Flip used to do.

nice story bro. But completely made up. No, he wouldnt and you did that same stunt a few times now just claiming something as an absolute fact that is totally made up.

Its beyond discussion that you dont point out weaknesses of your employees in public. Theres ZERO benefit in their development doing so. Key is wether you are man enough to talk tough face to face. I hope he does that or else i'd lose all respect.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#78 » by Mattya » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 pm

nice story bro. But completely made up. No, he wouldnt and you did that same stunt a few times now just claiming something as an absolute fact that is totally made up.

You mean like claiming people were bitter that we drafted Rubio because he was European?
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#79 » by LesGrossman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:41 pm

Mattya wrote:

You mean like claiming people were bitter that we drafted Rubio because he was European?

Nice try. One thing has happened and can simply be read up the other is totally fictionary. You cant discredit something based on as assumed future reaction. Keep tryin tho, its just what this kid in NY will try when he grows up and realizes his is an endless joke for booing Porzingis, like you probably booed Ricky. :lol:
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#80 » by Mattya » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 am

LesGrossman wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Nice try. One thing has happened and can simply be read up the other is totally fictionary. You cant discredit something based on as assumed future reaction. Keep tryin tho, its just what this kid in NY will try when he grows up and realizes his is an endless joke for booing Porzingis, like you probably booed Ricky. :lol:

Lol at booing Ricky... Please I wanted the Wolves to take Ricky 5th and Curry 6th. The reaction inside Target Center was as loud of cheers as I have heard, outside of Kevin Garnett, when Ricky got picked. I defended him for years about him being a good defender in Europe. But no, obviously I was just a Ricky hater allllllll along in disguise, to fool people until Lesgrossman came along.

You mean like the alleged hatred for a person because he was European. I guess that wasn't fictionary in your eyes despite having no facts. But here you are complaining about someone else making the same kind of argument you have made more than once. You dug yourself this hole last time assuming I hate Ricky, it's not hard to find evidence of me standing up for Ricky. Like I told you before I was banned off the general board for sticking up for him. There is a saying about people who make assumptions..."bro"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves