ImageImageImage

Random thoughts on where I would like to see team go.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Arhen
Ballboy
And1: 1

Random thoughts on where I would like to see team go. 

Post#1 » by Arhen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:14 am

Core to keep:
Towns
Dieng
Wiggins
Lavine
Rubio
Muhammed

Trade these assets that are not being used properly:
Kevin Martin
Payne
Rudez

No real value assets:
Bjelica
Andre Miller
Garnett
Jones
Pekovic
Prince

So despite being a bright young team, lack depth of assets.
Need to acquire 3 more players that actually eat up time with good production and a good solid 4 years, will assume one from draft, so only need 2 pieces, is it possible to trade martin, payne, and rudez to get those pieces and then just shed the no value assets to free up playing time for others?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: RE: Random thoughts on where I would like to see team go. 

Post#2 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 am

Arhen wrote:Trade these assets that are not being used in the right sport:
Payne

Fixed
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Re: Random thoughts on where I would like to see team go. 

Post#3 » by jpatrick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:39 am

I don't think Payne, Rudez, or Martin have positive value. They may have neural value and some team will take them, but I don't see an asset coming back.

I'd think that Jones and Bjelica might have a small amount of positive value and some team thinks they could get something out of them.

If we're making a trade, I think Bazz is our best asset. I also think if this offseason our pick doesn't land in the top three, that could be shopped.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#4 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:39 am

Tier 1: Don't Ask
Towns
Wiggins
2016 1st (but after lotto and confirmed 4-6' moves to tier 2, only tier 1 because slim chance of moving up in lotto)

Tier 2: Core...but for Steep Price
LaVine

Tier 3: Core...but Make Your Strong Offer
Rubio
Dieng
Bazz

Tier 4: Yes On the Block...but We Like Him
Jones

Tier 5: Shopping Them Around
Martin
Bjelica
Payne
Prince
Miller
Rudez

Tier 6: Negative Value
Pek

Champions Flight:
KG

And I have said many times, Wolves need one more consolidation trade. And for me, anything but tier 1 is on the table for an ideal trade package.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#5 » by LordBaldric » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:11 am

Mostly agree, but I don't think LaVine is all that.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#6 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:23 am

Untouchable

Kat
Wiggins

Kings ransom

Rubio
2016 pick

Will listen

Lavine
Dieng
Bazz
Jones
Bjelly
KG

Call collect

Payne
Martin
Pekovic
Miller
Prince
Rudez
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#7 » by minimus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:45 am

Firstly, our biggest asset moving forward is "cancer free" young core with great work ethic. We should use this advantage against other team looking for new HC like PHO, SAC. PHI, HOU. They have many assets but the value is low because of team chemistry, lack of true leadership etc. So new HC must be number one priority.

Secondly, I have been advocating for singing more impactful veterans next summer, role players etc. But now I'm wondering if we really should add any big FA. KAT is not ordinary rookie, Dieng has been realible. We can try to throw big money to Batum and Horford, but I don't see much sense here. The only real weakness is backup PG, latest games with Miller running plays have convinced me more. I'm wondering if european players see NBA as more attractive place with salary raise

Finally, I think that speaking of assets, we should understand that it is not only about true talent, but obviously fit. So my strategy here would be getting the most from Shabazz, Bjelica, Rudez, Jones. I believe that in Mitchel system they have little chance to succeed. For example everytime i see Rudez playing I notice smart decisions, backdoor cuts, good positional defense etc. He clearly has high BBIQ. Also I'd like to see some new additions who can overperform under new coach. For instance, Marco Bellineli who has 3yr more of contract, who played well under Thibs coaching.

To sum up, here are steps i'd like to see in near future

1) quiet deadline, Mitchel continues coaching till the end of season
2) hire Thibs as HC
3) Martin opts out, Pek retires
4) we keep our top5 pick, draft BPA
5) next year roster is pretty much set. So trying to improve it by adding role players on bargain contracts should be a wise move. Use every opportunity e.g. DLeague, Europe. Scout Bojan Dublevic more etc
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#8 » by jpatrick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 pm

I would say our biggest weakness going forward is shooting and a versatile starting quality PF.

We desperately need a knock down shooting wing. Our spacing is pathetic right now. Wiggins will drive and teams sag without any fear. We may occasionally hit a three, but not nearly enough to make teams pay. To me this is need #1.

Second, while Dieng had made me a believer he's part of the core, his best role is as a third big. This could be a draft pick like Bender or even Ellenson, even though I'm not a fan, or in my dream world, a trade for someone like Aaron Gordon.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#9 » by LesGrossman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Every move depends on the next head coach. Theres absolutely no point in discussing players while that topic isnt settled. The new coach may like shooting bigs, or may dislike a particular player on our roster and create a new vacancy there. I figure its nice to speculate and discuss these topics but noone should expect to understand what our needs are at this point.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#10 » by packforfreedom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:17 pm

the team's three best scorers are 20 yo. Has this ever happened before?
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#11 » by Saltine » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:46 am

packforfreedom wrote:the team's three best scorers are 20 yo. Has this ever happened before?

Nope.
Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:30 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Every move depends on the next head coach. Theres absolutely no point in discussing players while that topic isnt settled. The new coach may like shooting bigs, or may dislike a particular player on our roster and create a new vacancy there. I figure its nice to speculate and discuss these topics but noone should expect to understand what our needs are at this point.

I wonder if Taylor would sign off on a trade that Milt/Sam recommended?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#13 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Dan's with the Wolves wrote:I wonder if Taylor would sign off on a trade that Milt/Sam recommended?

This is from a week before Flip's passing, but I'd assume nothing's changed

Taylor said Newton and Mitchell have the authority going forth to make trades and player personnel decisions in Saunders’ absence.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#14 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi Klomp,
If he didn't say that at the time he would have effectively made them lame ducks from the beginning. He recently has said that he told Milt and Sam that they would have the whole season to be evaluated and that he doesn't know what his decision will be at season's end. I still think they have always required Taylor's signoff regardless.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#15 » by King Malta » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
Dan's with the Wolves wrote:I wonder if Taylor would sign off on a trade that Milt/Sam recommended?

This is from a week before Flip's passing, but I'd assume nothing's changed

Taylor said Newton and Mitchell have the authority going forth to make trades and player personnel decisions in Saunders’ absence.

To be fair, they'd be silly to say anything but that publicly, as they'd then be undermining the power of those two in the eyes of the players, fans and perhaps most importantly, the FOs of every other team in the league.

I think that we'll still make trades if they're of little impact (moving Martin or Miller for example), but I highly doubt there'll be any major changes to the roster unless it's a clear win as far as team fit and talent are concerned.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#16 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:34 pm

King Malta wrote:I think that we'll still make trades if they're of little impact (moving Martin or Miller for example), but I highly doubt there'll be any major changes to the roster unless it's a clear win as far as team fit and talent are concerned.

Of course. But I think that's always been the case this year, and I don't think major changes are really necessary right now.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#17 » by reignfire » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Why are people listing KG? His value to the team is not production anymore. He's there for everything outside the actual game.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#18 » by C.lupus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:06 am

reignfire wrote:Why are people listing KG? His value to the team is not production anymore. He's there for everything outside the actual game.

Because he's a player under contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves