ImageImageImage

Future lineup thoughts

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Re: RE: Re: Future lineup thoughts 

Post#181 » by minimus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 am

jfg wrote:I don't think Thibs is just going to get the band back together. I'm sure he's coveted other players across the league and knows that some of his old guys aren't the players they once were. Honestly, if he just gets his old players I think it will confirm a lot of people's opinion that he's not cut out to be president of basketball operations. If I can write that with a weak basketball mind, I would hope that he would realize that with a great basketball mind.

Agree, we saw this before with Adelman guys. We overpaid players, that were corner offense type players, but it did not worked out. Partially because of injuries. However, if Thibs can convince his old veterans to play for adequate money and our medical staff have no objections, I'd welcome players of Chicago band. We desperately need veteran presence, somebody who understands how winning is done. Deng, Noah, Hinrich are solid players.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Re: Future lineup thoughts 

Post#182 » by southern wolf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 am

Mattya wrote:Trade Payne for more cap space. Sign and Trade Loul Deng for Shabazz Muhammad. Send Rubio and Thibs and get Pau to take a pay cut. Sign Kirk Hinrich and Mike Dunleavy to a vet minimum deals. Draft Dragan Bender and let him develop behind two hall of famers.

Rubio/Hinrich/Tyus
Wiggins/LaVine
Deng/Wiggins/Dunleavy
Towns/KG/Bjelica/Bender
Pau/Dieng/Pek

That'd be nice, but just because Thibs has been hired doesn't mean he's going to bring half of his old Bulls team with him. :lol:
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#183 » by Sugarless » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 am

The only Thibs guy that I could see joining the Wolves is Deng, although I too doubt he'll leave the Heat if he gets a fair offer from them (and I think he'll do). He's also the only guy that I'd like to join the team, as not only he covers one of the team's needs but also he's an excellent person and great locker room presence.

Taj Gibson is a very good bench player, but he's that and only that, and I think most of the league, including plenty of people in the Bull's board who thought otherwise has realized so over the last couple of seasons. Plus, he's the least likely of the Bulls big men to leave the team this summer, considering he's got a friendly contract and the fact that Pau is done in Chicago and Noah is a free agent as well.
Dleavitt24
Junior
And1: 61

Post#184 » by Dleavitt24 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Wonder what the cost would be for oladipo, Bradley as these guys are top wing defenders. I remember watch oladipo for the first time in spring league and he full court pressed the entire time. Lead the league in steals and was so pesky. We need more guys like this. Patrick Beverly too.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,312

Post#185 » by coldfish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:59 pm

As an outsider who isn't completely familiar with Minnesota's situation:

I would not be surprised if Thibs gets Deng. Miami can't afford him and him and Thibs have a good relationship. It looks like Minnesota has issues with depth at big man and I can't think of any explicit big men out there that Thibs would have an attachment to. Noah is out and I highly doubt Thibs would trade with Chicago.

I'm sure Thibs' first call is going to be to Durant in free agency. They know each other through team USA. Thibs will pitch the idea that Durant can win titles in Minnesota without looking like he is intentionally joining or creating a superteam. Kind of doubt that Durant comes to Minnesota but Thibs' presence combined with all the young talent puts Minnesota in the conversation. Thibs will also call Lebron, but that won't happen.

I don't know this for a fact, but I highly doubt that Thibs is going to sell the farm in a win now trade. He pitched "sustained winning atmosphere" in his interview. I just don't see him selling the farm for older vets. He got burned by older players in Chicago.

If I had to guess, your team is going to be what it is now plus Deng and some vet big men plus the draft pick. There are going to be a few vet min type signings brought in just to deepen the bench and build culture.

As a side note, the SG and SF positions are largely interchangeable to Thibs. Just mark down the position as "wing". Wiggins, Muhammed, Lavine and Deng is a pretty great "wing" group.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#186 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Depending on the Miami cap situation, Deng would be my guess for a FA addition as well. Apparently a lot of Bulls players were burned out by Thibs and wanted him gone by the end, including Butler, but I don't think Deng ever had an issue.

He would give us the type of player we desperately need, a combo forward that can defend and shoot some from 3, with the benefit of knowing Thibs' scheme inside-and-out.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#187 » by Saltine » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Miami has to resign Whiteside and Wade, they are probably a priority over Deng.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#188 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:29 pm

coldfish wrote: Thibs will also call Lebron, but that won't happen.

Lebron leaves the cavs to team up with Wiggs, Kat and thibs to win the chip in Minny.

Thats a movie waiting to be made.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#189 » by Saltine » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Lebron doesn't have the balls.

;-)
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#190 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:14 am

I like Deng too. We dont have a 3/4 player in the roster (Muhammad can do it at times)
Trust the PRosas!
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#191 » by john2jer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:12 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
coldfish wrote: Thibs will also call Lebron, but that won't happen.

Lebron leaves the cavs to team up with Wiggs, Kat and thibs to win the chip in Minny.

Thats a movie waiting to be made.

Preposterous statement, maybe, but I really don't want LeJoke on this team. It would be near impossible to cheer for him.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
minimus
RealGM

Post#192 » by minimus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:44 am

coldfish wrote:As an outsider who isn't completely familiar with Minnesota's situation:

I would not be surprised if Thibs gets Deng. Miami can't afford him and him and Thibs have a good relationship. It looks like Minnesota has issues with depth at big man and I can't think of any explicit big men out there that Thibs would have an attachment to. Noah is out and I highly doubt Thibs would trade with Chicago.

I'm sure Thibs' first call is going to be to Durant in free agency. They know each other through team USA. Thibs will pitch the idea that Durant can win titles in Minnesota without looking like he is intentionally joining or creating a superteam. Kind of doubt that Durant comes to Minnesota but Thibs' presence combined with all the young talent puts Minnesota in the conversation. Thibs will also call Lebron, but that won't happen.

Forget about big name FA who plays in playoff team for years. You can see the difference between real playoff teams and first round jokes. Next year even with Thibs we wont be able to outperform other teams in playoff. Winning is something that KD and Horford will be looking for. MIN have to spend at least a year playing together and building good habits. Those type of heroics runs that CHI team was able to do are only possible when you have enough veterans.

On the other hand I'm curious how CHA, DAL will finish playoff run, because it may affect Batum and other FA decision to leave current team and join us.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#193 » by vagelis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:39 am

Trade Rubio+Muhamad for Derrick Rose. This will not affect the salary cap too much.
We can still go for Durant. Rose can attract another superstar in the team. Then we can pick one of Dunn,Brown or Simmons/Ingram if we are lucky.

Rose/Dunn
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
Towns

Rose
Lavine
Wiggins/Brown
Durant
Towns

Rose/Lavine
Wiggins/Lavine
Durant
Simmons
Towns

Rose/Lavine
Wiggins/Lavine
Ingram
Durant
Towns

I know this is a little bit difficult but we have to try for the best. Thibodeu is here and we can attract big players.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#194 » by ace625214 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:41 am

vagelis wrote:Trade Rubio+Muhamad for Derrick Rose. This will not affect the salary cap too much.
We can still go for Durant. Rose can attract another superstar in the team. Then we can pick one of Dunn,Brown or Simmons/Ingram if we are lucky.

Rose/Dunn
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
Towns

Rose
Lavine
Wiggins/Brown
Durant
Towns

Rose/Lavine
Wiggins/Lavine
Durant
Simmons
Towns

Rose/Lavine
Wiggins/Lavine
Ingram
Durant
Towns

I know this is a little bit difficult but we have to try for the best. Thibodeu is here and we can attract big players.

I wouldn't trade Ricky straight up for Rose, let alone throwing in Bazz. He isn't the same guy he used to be.
Raymond437
Junior
And1: 37

Post#195 » by Raymond437 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:47 am

On Rubio: “All players have their strengths and weaknesses and Ricky has established himself as a very good player. So we’re excited about that. The point guard position is such an important position in the way the team functions. You need to have a good understanding where guys like to get the ball, who has a good matchup, what’s going on in the game and keep the team organized and I think Ricky’s really strong in those areas.”

Thibs love Rubio so much
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#196 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:41 am

I wouldn't take rubio for rose even if the bulls threw in their draft pick.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#197 » by LordBaldric » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Yep. Out of all the Ex-Thibs Bulls players, Deng is the one to bring in if we can. He would be a great fit here, and is an amazing person as well.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#198 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:53 am

vagelis wrote:Trade Rubio+Muhamad for Derrick Rose. This will not affect the salary cap too much.

Rose/Dunn
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
Towns

Rose
Lavine
Wiggins/Brown
Durant
Towns

Rose/Lavine
Wiggins/Lavine
Durant
Simmons
Towns

Rose/Lavine
Wiggins/Lavine
Ingram
Durant
Towns

If this will happen means that from Rome i will go on foot to Oporto then swimming across ocean to come in the USA ahahahah!
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
minimus
RealGM

Post#199 » by minimus » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:19 pm

To sum up my thoughts:

Priority #1 is still a 3&D wing who should be our answer for small lineups. I don't see him among draft picks unless we buy one like Nigel Hayes. It means that I'd be surprised if we don't offer anything to get Deng or Batum. Not sold on Harrison Barnes who offers less real versatility in offense. Deng and Batum also fit our need of veteran with playoff experience who played for defensive minded coaches.
That's why they looks like ideal candidates for us. Again it does not depend on draft since there is no such type of player in top5.

Priority #2 is a pure shooter. It should be easier to address since we can draft either Murray or Hield. If not, Fournier or Bellineli type of player can be found via trade or FA.

Priority #3 is an"ideal" frontcourt teammate next to KAT. Here I believe we should give opportunity to Bjelica and Dieng combo. I still believe that both have not reached their potential. We still give up some size, but Greg Smith, Meyers Leonard or Miles Plumlee can get the work done against physical bigmen. I was advocating for Mozgov but now I'm not so sure.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#200 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:46 pm

minimus wrote:To sum up my thoughts:

Priority #1 is still 3&D wing who should be our answer for small lineups. I don't see him among draft picks unless we buy one like Nigel Hayes. It means that I'd be surprised if we don't offer anything to get Deng or Batum. Not sold on Harrison Barnes who offers less real versatility in offense. Deng and Batum also fit our need of veteran with playoff experience who played for defensive minded coaches.

That's why they looks like ideal candidates for us. Again it does not depend on draft since there is no such type of player in top5.

Priority #2 is pure shooter. It should be easier to address since we can draft either Murray or Hield. If not, Fournier or Bellineli type of player can be found via trade or FA.

Priority #3 is "ideal" frontcourt teammate next to KAT. Here I believe we should give opportunity to Bjelica and Dieng combo. I still believe that both have not reached their potential.

I'll just say it will hard to quality minutes for 4 wing players. You can probably do it with Murray and Deng by giving Murray PG minutes and Deng PF minutes, but giving Deng PF minutes might cut out Bjelica.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves