ImageImageImage

Blake Griffin to Wolves; who says no?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Re: Blake Griffin to Wolves; who says no? 

Post#21 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 am

Minny is basically giving up peanuts to get an all nba player. Bazz and Payne are expendable. Dieng is a rotation player. The 5th pick is in a poor draft.

Blake is a bit of a wanker, but I believe some of that is because hes in a dysfunctional organization.

The team looks good on paper, but defensively, you would have to pray that Lavine and/or Wiggins turn into an all NBA defender. Rubio is an all world defender and thats it.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#22 » by southern wolf » Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 am

I can't believe people are saying no to this one. The only people who should be saying no to this are Clippers fans. Resoundingly.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#23 » by King Malta » Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 am

southern wolf wrote:I can't believe people are saying no to this one. The only people who should be saying no to this are Clippers fans. Resoundingly.

I can't believe that anybody would find it surprising that some fans don't want to bring an absolute c***rag into a locker room which currently contains a lot of high character young guys.

I don't care how good Blake is, he's a tool and a **** bloke and I don't want him on the team for that reason.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#24 » by LordBaldric » Wed May 25, 2016 5:02 am

King Malta wrote:
southern wolf wrote:I can't believe people are saying no to this one. The only people who should be saying no to this are Clippers fans. Resoundingly.

I can't believe that anybody would find it surprising that some fans don't want to bring an absolute c***rag into a locker room which currently contains a lot of high character young guys.

I don't care how good Blake is, he's a tool and a **** bloke and I don't want him on the team for that reason.

Well said, King Malta. Winning doesn't mean anything if you have to sink into the slime to do it...
southern wolf
General Manager

Post#25 » by southern wolf » Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 am

King Malta wrote:

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but what has he done exactly?
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#26 » by breatnach » Wed May 25, 2016 12:48 pm

southern wolf wrote:
King Malta wrote:

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but what has he done exactly?

He's had questionable injuries and had altercations with other players and some of the coaching staff. He seems a bit childish and has a cocky / diva demeanor about him, but I don't think he's a real head case. To my knowledge, he hasn't openly rebelled against his coach or demanded a trade (DMC) and he also hasn't had any off-court issues with the police or substance abuse (Ty Lawson). He's almost a bit like Howard in the sense that he thinks he's better than everyone else, despite being a clown and hasn't actually contributed much in terms of team success. He also has been known to flop a lot, though part of that may be team philosophy or CP3's influence.

He's not my ideal candidate for those reasons, but if the trade was offered, it would be hard to turn down from a value point of view. I do still think he is a Top15 player in this league and happens to play a position of need for us.

Safe to say Clippers aren't keeping CP3 and trading Blake - if they don't think they can win, they will need to go for a complete rebuild.
bwright213
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#27 » by bwright213 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:07 pm

You have to say yes to this if your the Wolves and if your the Clippers it's an easy no. Blake is overrated to a certain extent, thank in large part to his dunking prowess and his marketability, but he is still a damn good PF. I just don't see the upside for the Clippers.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#28 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed May 25, 2016 1:51 pm

King Malta wrote:

I don't like his contract status either; he'll be a free agent after the season. Blake is the big gun with sparse ammo, the #5 pick is the low caliber weapon w/ plenty of ammo.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#29 » by Worm Guts » Wed May 25, 2016 2:34 pm

I don't really understand the negative perception Griffin. I suppose he had the incident with the team manager, anything else? It's not like Howard who has had issues in Orlando, LA and Houston and seems to regularly not get along with teammates.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#30 » by Sugarless » Wed May 25, 2016 4:11 pm

We need defense and outside shooting at the PF spot first and foremost. Griffin would bring neither. But the Clippers are the ones to say no to this trade. Dieng and DeAndre could work terribly, Bazz would add nothing more than scoring (and they have Crawford and Rivers for that coming off the bench) and Pek's contract hurts them when they chase FAs. They should do better than that if they ever move Griffin.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#31 » by guest81 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:22 pm

My guess was that no one cared too much about Spree choking his coach when he was a part of the Wolves leading them to the WCF.

Don't want Griffin he's a douche

Don't want Davis, injury prone

Don't want Butler, because he's too good now and might not be down the road? I dunno

I guess I'll add a few more.

Don't want Lebron, he'll take too many shots away from Towns

Don't want Curry, doesn't get his teammates involved as much as Rubio

Don't want Durant, you want more of a shot blocking 4 to pair next to Towns
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,048

Post#32 » by wablty » Wed May 25, 2016 6:27 pm

You cannot, under any circumstances, trade top 5 picks for players who will only be there for 1 year. This is an obvious no thank you purely because of the contract.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#33 » by Woody Allen » Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 pm

This is really more a trade deadline kind of trade. I expect Thibs to test the existing team first before doing anything drastic as this. That said, I expect Rubio to be shopped quietly between now and the draft night.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#34 » by King Malta » Wed May 25, 2016 10:04 pm

guest81 wrote:My guess was that no one cared too much about Spree choking his coach when he was a part of the Wolves leading them to the WCF.

Don't want Griffin he's a douche

Don't want Davis, injury prone

Don't want Butler, because he's too good now and might not be down the road? I dunno

I guess I'll add a few more.

Don't want Lebron, he'll take too many shots away from Towns

Don't want Curry, doesn't get his teammates involved as much as Rubio

Don't want Durant, you want more of a shot blocking 4 to pair next to Towns

Geez, that's weird, I don't remember saying any of that.

:roll:
southern wolf
General Manager

Post#35 » by southern wolf » Thu May 26, 2016 4:12 am

wablty wrote:You cannot, under any circumstances, trade top 5 picks for players who will only be there for 1 year. This is an obvious no thank you purely because of the contract.

Why wouldn't Griffin re-sign in Minny? He'd be paired with Towns and Wiggins on one of the most exciting teams in the league and he's only 27, it's not like he'd be too old when this group is hitting it's peak.

Imagine a lineup of Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Griffin/Towns, that would be one of the most athletic starting lineups of all time. I think the 'issues' he has are way overblown, he hasn't really done anything specifically wrong and his athleticism won't start to decline for a while yet.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,048

Post#36 » by wablty » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 am

southern wolf wrote:
wablty wrote:You cannot, under any circumstances, trade top 5 picks for players who will only be there for 1 year. This is an obvious no thank you purely because of the contract.

Why wouldn't Griffin re-sign in Minny? He'd be paired with Towns and Wiggins on one of the most exciting teams in the league and he's only 27, it's not like he'd be too old when this group is hitting it's peak.

Imagine a lineup of Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Griffin/Towns, that would be one of the most athletic starting lineups of all time. I think the 'issues' he has are way overblown, he hasn't really done anything specifically wrong and his athleticism won't start to decline for a while yet.

Because a lot of people do not want to live in a cold place with high taxes. At the highest local tax bracket, he's going to make significantly less than he would if he signed the same contract in Texas or Florida. In his case that's going to be millions of dollars. Unless you know for an absolute fact he's resigning, you cannot take that kind of risk.

Let's rephrase the question- If the Wolves didn't trade for him and he opts out of his last year after this upcoming season, how likely do you think it is he would sign in Minnesota?
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#37 » by PhillyNj » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:19 pm

pantalones wrote:Hi guys, your team is very intriguing and exciting and I was thinking that it's ready to take the next step with a "star" level player that has experience. What say you to Dieng, Bazz, Peck, Payne and #5 for Blake?

PG: Rubio, Jones
SG: Lavine, Evan Turner or Courtney Lee (UFA)
SF: Wiggins, Tayshaun
PF: Blake, Belicia, KG
C: KAT, Pachulia or Mozgov (UFA)

This team is very, very good.

Wowl. Clippers hang up the phone laughing
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#38 » by Dewey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:49 am

wablty wrote:
southern wolf wrote:

Because a lot of people do not want to live in a cold place with high taxes. At the highest local tax bracket, he's going to make significantly less than he would if he signed the same contract in Texas or Florida. In his case that's going to be millions of dollars. Unless you know for an absolute fact he's resigning, you cannot take that kind of risk.

Let's rephrase the question- If the Wolves didn't trade for him and he opts out of his last year after this upcoming season, how likely do you think it is he would sign in Minnesota?

some do some don't - stop whining. Pistons, Bull, and Celtics have a few titles under the belt and those cities are no south beach
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#39 » by Takingbaconback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:24 am

Clippers say no easily
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,958

Post#40 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:53 am

Dewey wrote:
wablty wrote:Because a lot of people do not want to live in a cold place with high taxes.

some do some don't - stop whining. Pistons, Bull, and Celtics have a few titles under the belt and those cities are no south beach

You missed the bigger picture of his point, which is this:

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves