The last shoot (Valentine) was travel.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: 2016 Summer League 

Post#802 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:52 am

You can steal our coach but you can't steal our SL championship! :P

What a great game, Jones is looking the goods for you guys, hopefully he gets a chance during the season, though I'm assuming your rotation makes that unlikely.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#803 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

GimmeDat wrote:You can steal our coach but you can't steal our SL championship! :P

What a great game, Jones is looking the goods for you guys, hopefully he gets a chance during the season, though I'm assuming your rotation makes that unlikely.

Well, a lot of people here see Dunn being able to play a lot of SG minutes, so maybe it ends up being Tyus+Dunn as a poor man's Dragic+Bledsoe type of bench lineup. It depends on how Rush performs as well because if he does, he's gonna play the majority or all bench minutes at SG while Shabazz is the backup SF.

I still don't lean towards any of the options, but Tyus certainly has the opportunity to fight for his minutes, it's not like our roster structure prevents it from being the option.

And I didn't steal your gf man, you dumped her and then she came to me!
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,553

Post#804 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:58 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:You can steal our coach but you can't steal our SL championship! :P

Well, a lot of people here see Dunn being able to play a lot of SG minutes, so maybe it ends up being Tyus+Dunn as a poor man's Dragic+Bledsoe type of bench lineup. It depends on how Rush performs as well because if he does, he's gonna play the majority or all bench minutes at SG while Shabazz is the backup SF.

I still don't lean towards any of the options, but Tyus certainly has the opportunity to fight for his minutes, it's not like our roster structure prevents it from being the option.

I would expect if Dunn is playing SG minutes, it's next to Rubio. If Dunn is playing SG next to Tyus, that means Dunn isn't playing any PG.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#805 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

I would expect if Dunn is playing SG minutes, it's next to Rubio. If Dunn is playing SG next to Tyus, that means Dunn isn't playing any PG.

Rubio(30)/Jones(10)/Dunn(8)
LaVine(28)/Dunn(20)

Basically Dunn gets PG minutes when Tyus is too much of a liability on defense vs a bigger opponent, lets' say Shaun Livingston.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#806 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Can Dunn play minutes at SG? Probably, but it seems more of a compromise.

As much as it pains me to say it, because Jones was great in SL, I think it would be a more effective rotation if you were to have an SG of a similar caliber instead of Jones. Ideally, you'd want to have Dunn taking up all the backup PG minutes, plus some dual-PG lineup minutes if that proves to be effective. Dunn/Rubio would be a killer in terms of spacing though, especially if you're looking at Wiggins or Bazz at the 3, so I'm not sure how feasible that's going to be.

Are you guys eying another shooter at the 2 spot, or even as a 2/3 swing? Because that seems like an important role to fill, especially if you can get a 3/D guy. Whether it's finding someone for cheap like a Morrow type, or using Jones as trade bait and finding someone stronger, I think that would make sense to balance the 2nd unit out. As much as you can theorize how to tweak lineups to give them both a go, I think the writing's on the wall for Jones ever since the Dunn selection, barring a Rubio trade.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#807 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Playing 3 PG's is unconventional. If Dunn is the better PG, you probably just give him all the backup minutes. If Jones it's playing so well we feel the need to get him minutes, it's an option. It also depends on whether you would rather give minutes to Jones, Rush, or extra minutes to Muhammed.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#808 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:04 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Can Dunn play minutes at SG? Probably, but it seems more of a compromise.

As much as it pains me to say it, because Jones was great in SL, I think it would be a more effective rotation if you were to have an SG of a similar caliber instead of Jones. Ideally, you'd want to have Dunn taking up all the backup PG minutes, plus some dual-PG lineup minutes if that proves to be effective. Dunn/Rubio would be a killer in terms of spacing though, especially if you're looking at Wiggins or Bazz at the 3, so I'm not sure how feasible that's going to be.

Are you guys eying another shooter at the 2 spot, or even as a 2/3 swing? Because that seems like an important role to fill, especially if you can get a 3/D guy. Whether it's finding someone for cheap like a Morrow type, or using Jones as trade bait and finding someone stronger, I think that would make sense to balance the 2nd unit out. As much as you can theorize how to tweak lineups to give them both a go, I think the writing's on the wall for Jones ever since the Dunn selection, barring a Rubio trade.

having Tyus makes sense because if Rubio or Dunn goes down we don't have to rely on LaVine. We also have to see first if Dunn can bring up the ball without losing it on every 3rd or 4th trip down the court. If Dunn can't take care of the ball Tyus certainly will. I don't think the writing is on the wall for Jones just yet.

And we signed Rush to be that 2/3 swing shooter and we don't know how many minutes he will get. We also currently at 15 guaranteed contracts.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#809 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Playing 3 PG's is unconventional. If Dunn is the better PG, you probably just give him all the backup minutes. If Jones it's playing so well we feel the need to get him minutes, it's an option. It also depends on whether you would rather give minutes to Jones, Rush, or extra minutes to Muhammed.

If Jones plays better than either Rush or Bazz and helps us win games, do you keep his ass glued to the bench? I will sit Bazz immediately if I need to find minutes for better performing Jones.

edit. Warriors had 3 players in their rotation who can be qualified as PGs, even 4 if you count Clarke.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#810 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Well, even in such a case (that doesn't have to happen for Tyus to get minutes), I can see it work like Dragic+Bledsoe where Tyus can handle the ball half the time, and spot up for 3s half the time while Dunn handles the ball. Playing SG doesn't have to mean you are predominantly playing off-ball. Dragic/Wade also worked really well in a similar fashion.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#811 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:25 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Playing 3 PG's is unconventional. If Dunn is the better PG, you probably just give him all the backup minutes. If Jones it's playing so well we feel the need to get him minutes, it's an option. It also depends on whether you would rather give minutes to Jones, Rush, or extra minutes to Muhammed.

If Jones plays better than either Rush or Bazz and helps us win games, do you keep his ass glued to the bench? I will sit Bazz immediately if I need to find minutes for better performing Jones.

edit. Warriors had 3 players in their rotation who can be qualified as PGs, even 4 if you count Clarke.

If it helps us win, that's fine. I'm just saying it's moving Dunn to be primarily a SG, and I don't know if that's his best position. I also don't know if Tyus qualifies as a top 9 guy for us. It's one thing to play Dunn at SG so both him and Rubio get their minutes, it's another to move him for Jones.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#812 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

If it helps us win, that's fine. I'm just saying it's moving Dunn to be primarily a SG, and I don't know if that's his best position. I also don't know if Tyus qualifies as a top 9 guy for us. It's one thing to play Dunn at SG so both him and Rubio get their minutes, it's another to move him for Jones.

If Tyus runs his unit better and thus provides a better +/- than Dunn do you still play Dunn over him at PG just because he's #5 pick?
I have little doubt that Jones can run better offense. It's the defense that's concerning.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192

Post#813 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:41 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:If Tyus runs his unit better and thus provides a better +/- than Dunn do you still play Dunn over him at PG just because he's #5 pick?

Read WG's post again:

"If it helps us win, that's fine."
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#814 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Dunn also played off the ball next to undrafted scrubs in Providence. So it's not like it's an insult to him to playing next to Jones.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#815 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:43 pm

Klomp wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:If Tyus runs his unit better and thus provides a better +/- than Dunn do you still play Dunn over him at PG just because he's #5 pick?

Read WG's post again:

"If it helps us win, that's fine."

:roll:
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#816 » by urinesane » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Considering we had LaVine playing PG so much, I'd be happy to have Tyus and Dunn next to each other.

Nothing wrong with two people on the court able to run an offense (assuming Dunn can run an NBA offense).
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,083

Post#817 » by wablty » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:46 pm

urinesane wrote:Considering we had LaVine playing PG so much, I'd be happy to have Tyus and Dunn next to each other.

Nothing wrong with two people on the court able to run an offense (assuming Dunn can run an NBA offense).

I thought Dunn looked great, but nothing about his two games in Summer League made me think he's ready to be a floor general. I think it'll take time and he'll look much better off the ball for a while. Having a real distributor on the 2nd team should help him a lot.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,037

Post#818 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:08 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Can Dunn play minutes at SG? Probably, but it seems more of a compromise.

How much time Dunn spends at SG could largely depend on how much defensive improvement LaVine/Wiggins/Muhammad show. If some of them aren't providing solid D I could see Dunn taking minutes from them.

I'm guessing Jones being available in trade depends on what Thibs decides to do with Rubio. I don't think Jones is going anywhere as long as the team is still undecided on Rubio's future.

I agree that the Wolves could use another wing shooter, it just does't seem very likely at this point based on the options available in FA or trade. I would hope that is one of the priorities in FA next off-season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves