ImageImageImage

Dieng/Shabazz extensions due Oct 31 - what to do?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Adenusi
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Re: Dieng/Shabazz extensions due Oct 31 - what to do? 

Post#21 » by Adenusi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:20 am

I'd be surprised if he got an offer sheet less than $20M per year.
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#22 » by Steve_Holiday » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 am

For a frame of reference, bismack, luol deng, and Noah all got 4 yrs for $72 mill this summer. Ian mahinmi at 4 for $64. I don't think $13-14 million for dieng is going to come close to cutting it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Re: Re: Re: Dieng/Shabazz extensions due Oct 31 - what to do? 

Post#23 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:22 am

mercgold3 wrote:I think Dieng has some value for teams with a need for a center...
But for us with Towns already...
He's going to be expensive for a backup center.

Sure, but there's a good chance he's more than just a backup center.

A) Thibs liked to run big lineups in Chicago, and B) Thibodeau wanted Chicago to draft Gorgui Dieng. I think its reasonable to believe Thibs views Dieng as more than just a 10 mpg backup behind our best player.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:25 am

Adenusi wrote:I'd be surprised if he got an offer sheet less than $20M per year.

That's basically max money. No chance he gets that much.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#25 » by jpatrick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:29 am

Steve_Holiday wrote:For a frame of reference, bismack, luol deng, and Noah all got 4 yrs for $72 mill this summer. Ian mahinmi at 4 for $64. I don't think $13-14 million for dieng is going to come close to cutting it.

Big difference between UFAs and RFAs. Plus, unless he's willing to take a discount, you let him play the season out and get an offer from another team.

If he signs in October, I'd guess it'd be in the 4/50-60 range.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#26 » by LordBaldric » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:35 am

Offer Dieng a reasonable deal. If he turns it down and the Nets or some other stupid team signs him to a max offer sheet next summer, **** him. This dude is hardly irreplaceable. Or, if it looks like he's gone, trade him before the deadline...
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#27 » by Minnesota Power » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:52 am

Agreed, just offer a reasonable deal and if he turns it down then he turns it down. Or just trade him if it looks like hes on his way out.
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#28 » by shangrila » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:01 pm

I'd be amazed if Dieng signed an extension. With the way teams were spending this offseason his agent is going to want to put him on the market, no doubt.

Bazz might be a different story, although I think in general most agents will be fine letting their clients go to RFA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:22 pm

shangrila wrote:I'd be amazed if Dieng signed an extension. With the way teams were spending this offseason his agent is going to want to put him on the market, no doubt.

The agent works for Gorgui, not the other way around.

If Gorgui wants to sign an extension and stay here, his agent isn't going to refuse to talk with management and wait until restricted free agency.

Adenusi
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#30 » by Adenusi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Klomp wrote:
Adenusi wrote:I'd be surprised if he got an offer sheet less than $20M per year.

That's basically max money. No chance he gets that much.

Crabbe got 4/75 and Gorgui's better than him. Any number less than $15M per is a lowball offer. Trust, he's gonna get $$$.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:41 am

What they do at the extension deadline could tell us what they may try to do at the trade deadline.

Unless you extend them on a complete bargain deal, I think an extension drops their trade value.

The one piece I think this team is missing is a big 3/small 4 combo. By not extending either, it keeps more options open for trade possibilities at the deadline. Not only may lower salaries this year be enticing in case a team feels it overspent this summer, keeping RFA status on them gives the other GMs the power to decide what to do with the players. As an example, could Los Angeles decide its out of the playoff race and decide to trade Luol Deng to a team fighting for a playoff spot in exchange for more offseason flexibility?

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#32 » by Neeva » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:53 am

LordBaldric wrote:Offer Dieng a reasonable deal. If he turns it down and the Nets or some other stupid team signs him to a max offer sheet next summer, **** him. This dude is hardly irreplaceable. Or, if it looks like he's gone, trade him before the deadline...

Agreed no need to overpay him. If some other team does than bye. We will regret overpaying someone like him in 2-3 years when this team is more attractive to free agents!
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#33 » by breatnach » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:17 am

Klomp wrote:
Unless you extend them on a complete bargain deal, I think an extension drops their trade value.

I think not extending him lowers his trade value. Not only is the cap rising again, which will most likely increase everyone's price tag (even Mozgov's), but you also can't really pencil him into your long term plans, because someone might poach him.

If Wolves extend him for 75 / 4 (not unreasonable), at least any team trading for him knows they can count on him for 4 years and they won't have to pay him 20+ to keep him after next off-season.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#34 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:37 am

I wonder if G will do 10-12mil per year & Bazz would do 8mil per year?

With the cap rising, those are reasonable numbers for a starting PF/C & our 6th-7th man who will probably play 20+ mins a night. I think Bazz and his agent might want him to go to a team where it isn't so crowded
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Mrva
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#35 » by Mrva » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:24 am

theGreatRC wrote:I wonder if G will do 10-12mil per year & Bazz would do 8mil per year?

With the cap rising, those are reasonable numbers for a starting PF/C & our 6th-7th man who will probably play 20+ mins a night. I think Bazz and his agent might want him to go to a team where it isn't so crowded

No chance. Dieng will take at least 15 mil.

Shabazz maybe, I could see him going for 4/32 or 3/30.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:41 pm

breatnach wrote:
Klomp wrote:Unless you extend them on a complete bargain deal, I think an extension drops their trade value.

I think not extending him lowers his trade value. Not only is the cap rising again, which will most likely increase everyone's price tag (even Mozgov's), but you also can't really pencil him into your long term plans, because someone might poach him.

If Wolves extend him for 75 / 4 (not unreasonable), at least any team trading for him knows they can count on him for 4 years and they won't have to pay him 20+ to keep him after next off-season.

Fair point

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#37 » by Note30 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:57 pm

If we could get him to agree to a frontloaded 4/70 million I'd be happy. It would also set a precedent I think. I'd ask Bazz for a front loaded 4/36. That way when LaVine & Towns and Rubio and KAT are up for extensions we can use the marginal capspace Gorgui and Bazz create to manuever a couple of vet FA signing. Rookie deals are going to be crazy important now. Draft pick value will keep getting higher.

If we resign our top 9 players for their next contracts we'll be over the tax apron in 2020/2021. We need to tread carefully here.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#38 » by ace625214 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:33 pm

Draft pick value will be the same as it always has. Max deals are a percentage of the cap and everything moves down from there. It doesn't matter if the cap is $120mil or 17 cents. Unless you're talking solely for us. In that case, I would agree.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#39 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:08 am

You don't extend either of them, that will cut into cap-space because it it likely they will sign for more than their cap-holds. Let it play out, sign them after we use some space. Pretty simple...why are people suggesting we extend them? that make little sense.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#40 » by Note30 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:38 am

SO_MONEY wrote:You don't extend either of them, that will cut into cap-space because it it likely they will sign for more than their cap-holds. Let it play out, sign them after we use some space. Pretty simple...why are people suggesting we extend them? that make little sense.

Cause you jnow a team like Brooklyn will offer both these guys the max and we cant match that. If you extend them a lower extension they can help put the team by not taking an asininely high contract. Lets be honest who are we gonna get next year thats a good fit with this team?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves