Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

New season, new coach, new offense 

Post#1 » by minimus » Fri Sep 2, 2016 2:05 am

Hi, check out a very good video from BBdown

Spolier: you wont see MIN as example. Surprise? Not really:

* - Rubio was the only PG is roster and he is PnR player, not ideal for triangle offense. And cant run triangle with young players like LaVine/Wiggins/KAT and Jones
* - Mitchel offense was outdated

Next season I expect to see more hand-off based offense with better screens from our players and better off the ball movement. This leads to series of questions:

1) Many teams run this plays simply because they dont have pass-first PG in their roster. See tweet below:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Which is understandable. But we do have Ricky who is perfect PnR player and it works perfectly for him and KAT. Many times Ricky Karl with perfect assist for open J. Still have question how Ricky will fit.

2) I can see how dangerous can Dunn be in triangle offense. As slasher he can find good opportunities to score just executing plays. Same with Jones/LaVine as shooter.

I do believe that this diversity of options is advantage, not a problem. If Thibs can implement both we will be pretty good team in offense. But thats a question for me.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Re: New season, new coach, new offense 

Post#2 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:30 am

I don't see how Rubio is a perfect pick and roll player. A good example of a great pick and roll player is Chris Paul. He can pass the ball, but what makes it so dangerous is his ability to shoot the ball or attack on a switch. Rubio is good at passing the ball through the eye of a needle but he can't take advantage of the pick himself.

Of course you got the opposite end of the spectrum, maybe a Kyrie Irving who looks to shoot it himself more often than he should. But that is a much better scenario because the guy that can score has the ball in his hands. And Irving can make fantastic passes when he wants to and his ability to score gives him a ton of room to compensate for his lack of Rubio unicorn passing.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#3 » by minimus » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:46 am

Well, the question is how Thibs and players can take advantage of Rubio's passing abilities. He helped Love and Pek to have great seasons in offense. Once Thibs and our young players figure out how to act within team offense I expect them to be very efficient.
Same with Irving. Cavs were pretty chaotic team before they signed LeBron. Once LeBron became main facilitator they started to win. LeBron basically is PG for them. For us, I don't see who can be main point in offense other than Rubio. Ball handling, passing wise.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#4 » by packforfreedom » Fri Sep 2, 2016 2:39 pm

Rubio can't score very well, but he's still excellent in PnR's. Love, Pek, Dieng, all those guys made a living of Rubio's PnR skills.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves