Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,010

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#901 » by shrink » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:22 am

Klomp wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Luka Garza is super weird. He's clearly WAY too talented for the G-League, but his physical limitations are game killing in the NBA.

I think he is worth investing Minnesota's fifteenth roster spot into (if no other options arise), but he definitely has to continue working on his ability to move laterally in space.

The fact he hasn't gone to Europe is baffling to me .

He would be just a guy in Europe...

In Minnesota, he is a fan favorite. In Iowa, he is legendary.

He could be legendary in Euroleague too, get paid, and he often spent summers in Serbia.

But his dream has always been the NBA. He works so hard, I’m not saying he can’t make it.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,439

Post#902 » by younggunsmn » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:50 am

Domejandro wrote:Luka Garza is super weird. He's clearly WAY too talented for the G-League, but his physical limitations are game killing in the NBA.

I think he is worth investing Minnesota's fifteenth roster spot into (if no other options arise), but he definitely has to continue working on his ability to move laterally in space.

I think the length is a bigger issue, the lateral agility is okay for a 5 but not a 4, he lacks the length to contest shots at the 5.
He's kind of between positions.

It's not his fault he's on a 20-5 team with 3 starting quality 5's in front of him.
He has the ability to be a 2nd unit 5 for an NBA team right now, maybe not one with championship aspirations though.

I don't like the chucking in his garbage time minutes this year, but I thought he gave quality minutes to us last year, and for an injury insurance 2-way contract you aren't going to find a better option.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#903 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,034

Post#904 » by wolves_89 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:23 pm

I would bet Garza could score 20 ppg in the NBA right now on reasonable efficiency. The problem is he provides almost no defense. I've watched a couple of his recent Iowa games and observed absolutely no rim protection and in most cases there wasn't even an attempt at making drives to the basket more difficult. Garza is an unfortunate combination of no defensive ability in the paint and not enough foot speed to guard on the perimeter.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#905 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#906 » by wolves_89 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:00 pm

I had been wondering what was up with Krejci. I was more optimistic about his upside than I was about Keels or Martin.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 373

Post#907 » by gandlogo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:36 pm

wolves_89 wrote:I had been wondering what was up with Krejci. I was more optimistic about his upside than I was about Keels or Martin.

When he gets healthy is he the solution for backup PG on the Wolves? Interesting mix of skills and size.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#908 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:26 pm

gandlogo wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:I had been wondering what was up with Krejci. I was more optimistic about his upside than I was about Keels or Martin.

When he gets healthy is he the solution for backup PG on the Wolves? Interesting mix of skills and size.

Of anyone in Iowa currently, I actually think the highest probability of entering Minnesota's rotation is Lance Stephenson.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#909 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:09 pm

Klomp wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

Of anyone in Iowa currently, I actually think the highest probability of entering Minnesota's rotation is Lance Stephenson.

Please NOOOOOOOOOO.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#910 » by wolves_89 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:43 pm

gandlogo wrote:

And he's gone. Krejci signed a two-way deal with the Hawks.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#911 » by minimus » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:18 pm

Let quickly describe our young players progress in gleague:

Luka Garza
3 games, pure dominance: 36.7PPG, 57%FG, 33%3PT, 12.3RPG, 3APG, 1.7BPG. Luka has improved his body to the point that he becomes simply unstoppable in gleague. He is even blocking shots now. IMO he is first candidate to get NBA standard deal, once we have spot in rotation, which might happen around deadline or in offseason

Wendell Moore Jr
8 games, disappointment: 14.6PPG (down from 18PPG last year), 33%FG (down from 53%), 29%%3PT (down from 48%), he gets more steals 1.8SPG, but from what I see he gambles way too much and does not play good positional defense like he used to. I really dont understand what is the problem with Wendell. On paper he is exactly why we brought guys such as Troy Brown Jr, NAW, but starting from SL he has been a complete disaster.

D.J. Carton
14 games, 16PPG, 47%FG, 34%3PT, 3.8RPG, 4.3APG, 1.8SPG
My main concern with DJ is that he is an athletic comboguard who's skills and athleticism level is just enough for gleague and he does not have opportunity to improve his basketball awareness. I have not seen a single high IQ play from here, outside of dunks.

Trevor Keels
16 games, 15PPG, 45%FG, 31.4%3PT, 3.5RPG, 3.3APG, 1.7SPG
Physical comboguard, with limited athleticism. He has two ways to be successful in NBA: first, he should follow Kyle Lowry path, become student of the game, second, become exceptional shotmaker. I like about him that in some moment he has shown aggressiveness, mental and physical toughness. Unfortunately, other aspects of his game are mediocre at best

Daishen Nix
6 games, 20PPG, 36%FG, 21%3PT, 5.3RPG, 6.2APG, 2.2SPG
Another physical comboguard, with limited athleticism. But unlike Keels Nix came here as PG prospect. He has improved his body, he looks quicker now. He was shooting very well in preseason, but in gleague his shot has not been falling. Also I dont see much improvement in his playmaking.

Tyrese Martin
6 games, 11.5PPG, 40%FG, 40.6%3PT, 5.7RPG
I expected him to be an energy wing from bench (in gleague) making cuts, timely open shots. He have a chance to redeem himself after returnung from injury

Leonard Miller
11 games, 18PPG, 53%FG, 34%3PT, 7.1RPG, 2APG, 1.2BPG
In comparison with his previous season in Ignite Leonard is taking almost twice 3pt shots while making solid 34%, he also taking difficult threes: pullups, stepback etc. He also has shown good hands shooting from mid range and short range. My main concern is that while Miller is working more on his offensive game, he was drafted as high energy, high effort forward. On a recent video I saw how useless he is without his motor. He is 20yo, and still lacks physicality, so he needs to keep his motor.

Josh Minott
4 games, 14.5PPG, 46%FG, 18%3PT, 7.3RPG, 3.3APG, 3.5BPG
Josh Minott played many minutes as big this season, which is not very good for his development. Yes, he is blocking ton of shots, but he is not dominating in defense. His 3PT shooting is down to abysmal 18%3PT (last season 42%). In SL games he looked slow footed, I wonder if it is because he added some weight.

Sum up:
Because our main team is winning MIN kind of use all his efforts to keep winning. However, some choices Nix, Miller are made based on potential. These players are raw and cant contribute right now. Overall we were looking to add/develop a big guard: Nix, Krejci, Carton, Moore, Keels. It looks like an intentional thing, strategy for our roster construction. However, I often ask my self if instead of a big guard, we simply add a guard who can make a right play. Overall, I am kind of disappointed with our Iowa team play. They dont play like a team, their roster is poorly constructed, they lack bigs and shooters.

P.S. I have not seen many Iowa games, please feel free to comment, add.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,438

Post#912 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:58 pm

minimus wrote:
Wendell Moore Jr
8 games, disappointment: 14.6PPG (down from 18PPG last year), 33%FG (down from 53%), 29%%3PT (down from 48%), he gets more steals 1.8SPG, but from what I see he gambles way too much and does not play good positional defense like he used to. I really dont understand what is the problem with Wendell. On paper he is exactly why we brought guys such as Troy Brown Jr, NAW, but starting from SL he has been a complete disaster.

There just isn't anything there. His entire "tape" is that in a surprise start, he did a decent job defending Ja on a handful of plays. But he's shown no real aptitude for defense since then (he was terrible in SL and preseason).

He was bad his first two years of college, and then had a huge increase in his shooting as a Jr. - but not on a lot of volume. Probably more of an outlier than crazy growth. A bit like Derrick Williams...

Glue guys in college that aren't exceptional at any one thing generally don't make good Pros.
minimus
RealGM

Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#913 » by minimus » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:19 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
minimus wrote:
Wendell Moore Jr

There just isn't anything there. His entire "tape" is that in a surprise start, he did a decent job defending Ja on a handful of plays. But he's shown no real aptitude for defense since then (he was terrible in SL and preseason).

He was bad his first two years of college, and then had a huge increase in his shooting as a Jr. - but not on a lot of volume. Probably more of an outlier than crazy growth. A bit like Derrick Williams...

Glue guys in college that aren't exceptional at any one thing generally don't make good Pros.

Well, I still think Wendell has potential to be an elite defender. My point is that right now he is trying to impress with quick steals, hence he is gambling way too much. Before this season I saw multiple moments where he played good positional defense, his size, strength and toughness helped him. I just don't understand how everything is disappearing because of his poor shooting.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,438

Post#914 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:35 pm

minimus wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
minimus wrote:
Wendell Moore Jr

Well, I still think Wendell has potential to be an elite defender. My point is that right now he is trying to impress with quick steals, hence he is gambling way too much. Before this season I saw multiple moments where he played good positional defense, his size, strength and toughness helped him. I just don't understand how everything is disappearing because of his poor shooting.

I see him frequently out of position and even low on effort. He also seems to wilt easily when things aren't perfect.

I'll be shocked if he's ever in an NBA rotation.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#915 » by jpatrick » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:59 pm

I’ve watched a few full Iowa games. Came away disappointed with Minott and Miller. Maybe my expectations for 19/20 year old is too much.

Minott, I just don’t see any development in terms of shooting, dribbling, really anything that will translate. He’s a crazy athlete. I think he’ll eventually develop into an NBA player but it’s going to be a long haul, and I think it’ll be his second or third team that will get the benefit (similar to Jerami Grant).

Miller was fine. He’s not a crazy athlete, like Vanderbilt or Minott. I think he’s going to have to develop into a very good shooter to make an offensive impact. Be a 3-and-D type PF. And as someone said above, he needs to be more of an effort guy, which I didn’t see in the game I saw. He’s young though. I do think we some added strength, he could be a good rebounder.

I see people saying he could take Kyle Anderson’s minutes. I don’t see that, at least not Anderson this year, who is playing a ton of SF minutes.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#916 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 1, 2024 8:47 pm

LEONARD MILLER
1/01/2024 9:20:44 AM
Miller posted 19 points (7-17 FG, 2-6 3Pt, 2-2 FT), 10 rebounds, two steals and one assist over 30 minutes in Sunday’s 113-99 loss to College Park. Miller led all Wolves players in scoring and rebounds while adding a pair of steals defensively and ending as the lone player with a double-double in Sunday's loss. In two games since the G League Winter Showcase, Miller has averaged 17.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.0 assists over 23.5 minutes.
minimus
RealGM

Post#917 » by minimus » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:09 pm

jpatrick wrote:I’ve watched a few full Iowa games. Came away disappointed with Minott and Miller. Maybe my expectations for 19/20 year old is too much.

Minott, I just don’t see any development in terms of shooting, dribbling, really anything that will translate. He’s a crazy athlete. I think he’ll eventually develop into an NBA player but it’s going to be a long haul, and I think it’ll be his second or third team that will get the benefit (similar to Jerami Grant).

Miller was fine. He’s not a crazy athlete, like Vanderbilt or Minott. I think he’s going to have to develop into a very good shooter to make an offensive impact. Be a 3-and-D type PF. And as someone said above, he needs to be more of an effort guy, which I didn’t see in the game I saw. He’s young though. I do think we some added strength, he could be a good rebounder.

I see people saying he could take Kyle Anderson’s minutes. I don’t see that, at least not Anderson this year, who is playing a ton of SF minutes.

I wonder whether lack of stability at PG has affected development of both Minott and Miller. Last season I saw some moments of good passing from Minott, this year not so much. I mean he could be a great rim-runner energy guy from bench I he can add some passing as short roll passer. I agree that Miller is not very explosive, he really needs to both improve his footwork and add strength.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,010

Post#918 » by shrink » Tue Jan 2, 2024 3:05 pm

If anyone saw the Garza games ..

Did all his body work on quickness give him a chance to play PF, or is he just a quicker center?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#919 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:56 pm

minimus wrote:Josh Minott
4 games, 14.5PPG, 46%FG, 18%3PT, 7.3RPG, 3.3APG, 3.5BPG
Josh Minott played many minutes as big this season, which is not very good for his development. Yes, he is blocking ton of shots, but he is not dominating in defense. His 3PT shooting is down to abysmal 18%3PT (last season 42%). In SL games he looked slow footed, I wonder if it is because he added some weight.

I wonder if we've given up on him offensively playing SF...sure seems like he's exclusively an undersized PF now, like a Jarred Vanderbilt or Kenneth Faried. I think you could make it work, playing him with two bigs if one of them was Naz Reid or Leonard Miller, but otherwise I think we're seeing what he will be.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#920 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:59 pm

minimus wrote:Leonard Miller
11 games, 18PPG, 53%FG, 34%3PT, 7.1RPG, 2APG, 1.2BPG
In comparison with his previous season in Ignite Leonard is taking almost twice 3pt shots while making solid 34%, he also taking difficult threes: pullups, stepback etc. He also has shown good hands shooting from mid range and short range. My main concern is that while Miller is working more on his offensive game, he was drafted as high energy, high effort forward. On a recent video I saw how useless he is without his motor. He is 20yo, and still lacks physicality, so he needs to keep his motor.

He still has a crazy high potential because of his measurables and skill set, but I think we also see how far he has to go. Just look at the production gap between Miller and Garza, someone who has not earned a standard contract after his rookie deal.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves