Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#941 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:56 am

wolves_89 wrote:With the Wolves finally nearing the end of the extended stretch of playing winning teams, I think it would be worthwhile to give Minott, Miller, and maybe even Garza/Moore a some occasional rotation minutes to get a feel for where they are at in terms of playability. It would be good to know how close Minott/Miller are to being able to take on some of Anderson's role (the PF minutes primarily) in case they decide to trade Kyle. Letting the young guys get some non-garbage time minutes against the easier teams gives them a chance to earn their way into more minutes (or play themselves back to Iowa).

You know, I'm guessing the talent evaluators have a decent feel for whether or not they can step in, and don't need fan approval to verify their choice.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#942 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:53 am

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:With the Wolves finally nearing the end of the extended stretch of playing winning teams, I think it would be worthwhile to give Minott, Miller, and maybe even Garza/Moore a some occasional rotation minutes to get a feel for where they are at in terms of playability. It would be good to know how close Minott/Miller are to being able to take on some of Anderson's role (the PF minutes primarily) in case they decide to trade Kyle. Letting the young guys get some non-garbage time minutes against the easier teams gives them a chance to earn their way into more minutes (or play themselves back to Iowa).

You know, I'm guessing the talent evaluators have a decent feel for whether or not they can step in, and don't need fan approval to verify their choice.

I have no idea why you think fan approval has anything to do with seeing how players perform in NBA level situations. Getting young players some real NBA minutes provides information that can't be fully captured from practice or G-League minutes. The upcoming trade deadline is a significant decision point in the season and having as full a picture as possible is important.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#943 » by minimus » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:05 am

Thanks God, Iowa finally got a some help in frontcourt! I wonder why they did not do this earlier

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

AND Martin is showing some promise as energy scorer from the bench

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Giorgi Bezhanishvili might not have NBA potential, but having a true big is essential because I have feeling that our Iowa team with Minott and Miller acting as bigs have been kind of floating around, without commiting much to do a dirty work such as boxouts, hard screens etc.

If Martin continues to be an efficient scorer who gives 100% effort, I'd give him a two way (or even a Gupta specia if he shoots over 40% from three point linel!!!) contract next year
minimus
RealGM

Post#944 » by minimus » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:28 pm

D.J. Carton is averaging 19.1PPG, 6.9APG, on 59-46-82. I wonder if he is an undersized shooting guard? Also I wish he has showed either playmaking potential or defensive toughness. He has athletic tools, but he kind of lacks great body control, ballhandling to fulfil his potential.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#945 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Noteworthy because Minnesota plays at Detroit BEFORE Iowa plays its next game (Iowa played today, but those guys weren't playing)
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#946 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:44 pm

minimus wrote:D.J. Carton is averaging 19.1PPG, 6.9APG, on 59-46-82. I wonder if he is an undersized shooting guard? Also I wish he has showed either playmaking potential or defensive toughness. He has athletic tools, but he kind of lacks great body control, ballhandling to fulfil his potential.

I still think the guy to watch for a call-up is old vet Lance Stephenson. In his last four games, averaging 17.8/9.3/6.0. I think he's a guy they would trust to handle the ball for the second unit if needed.

gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#947 » by gandlogo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:D.J. Carton is averaging 19.1PPG, 6.9APG, on 59-46-82. I wonder if he is an undersized shooting guard? Also I wish he has showed either playmaking potential or defensive toughness. He has athletic tools, but he kind of lacks great body control, ballhandling to fulfil his potential.

I still think the guy to watch for a call-up is old vet Lance Stephenson. In his last four games, averaging 17.8/9.3/6.0. I think he's a guy they would trust to handle the ball for the second unit if needed.

After watching Minott and Miller last week against the Blazers, I think this is even more on point. Obviously, not from a position standpoint, but from the fact the Wolves will need a true professional that won't pee down his leg on the NBA stage - especially in the playoffs. If the physical skills are still there, Stephenson would make more sense on a playoff team.
minimus
RealGM

Post#948 » by minimus » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:44 am

Read on Twitter

His three point shot is not falling right now, but it looks like is an energy guy for Iowa team. I wonder if he can improve his three point accuracy AND defense. Our main team set pretty high level for perimeter defenders and three point shooter who can impact game from 9-10 spot in rotation. Can he be that player?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,468

Post#950 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:52 am

Guest84 wrote:https://dunkingwithwolves.com/posts/former-nba-star-impressing-wolves-g-league-affiliate-should-minnesota-call-him-up

The G league is to the NBA what single A baseball is to MLB. Success in the lower league can mean success in the higher league, but it is much more rare than you would think. Moreover, unlike with baseball, there is no AA or AAA for basketball. Lance could be God’s gift to the G and still get embarrassed in the NBA. Especially on a rotation that Troy Brown Jr cannot even manage to crack.

Edit to add: Luka Garza is a perfect example.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#951 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:47 pm

winforlose wrote:
Guest84 wrote:https://dunkingwithwolves.com/posts/former-nba-star-impressing-wolves-g-league-affiliate-should-minnesota-call-him-up

The G league is to the NBA what single A baseball is to MLB. Success in the lower league can mean success in the higher league, but it is much more rare than you would think. Moreover, unlike with baseball, there is no AA or AAA for basketball. Lance could be God’s gift to the G and still get embarrassed in the NBA. Especially on a rotation that Troy Brown Jr cannot even manage to crack.

Except Lance has what a lot of others don't...NBA experience.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#952 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:55 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

True, and with all that NBA experience he couldn’t convince any team to give him a minimum.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#953 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:57 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Right. Lance has played in over 550 NBA games with nearly 13,000 minutes.

He’s also played in 57 Playoff games, averaging over 30 MPG. And 13 ECF games, averaging 39 MPG.

And he’s only 33.

Lance may have some character questions, but he’s certainly a legit NBA player.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#954 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:09 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Right. Lance has played in over 550 NBA games with nearly 13,000 minutes.

He’s also played in 57 Playoff games, averaging over 30 MPG. And 13 ECF games, averaging 39 MPG.

And he’s only 33.

Lance may have some character questions, but he’s certainly a legit NBA player.

Accepting this premise, do you expect a performance drop in the NBA? Because as an Iowa wolf he is shooting 42.3% from the field and 33.3% from deep. We have exactly one roster spot. We can create a second if we trade away WMJ. Would you really put Lance over TBJ in the rotation? Knowing that he is not thriving in the G, that no NBA team offered him a minimum, that his last 2 years in the NBA did not look good, and that he is not a high character player when the GM talked about the importance of character before the season?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#955 » by shangrila » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:29 pm

Whoever wrote this either doesn't watch the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Iowa Wolves, or both.

Lance Stephenson is not the answer for either Wolves team.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#956 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:45 pm

Would I take Lance over TBJ? Probably.

Are either anything close to my first choice? Nope.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#957 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:11 am

Lance Stephenson has been solid in Iowa. He fills some holes but honestly isn’t too remarkable. I’d rather have Carton, Wheeler (who has been traded), Martin, and heck, even Eastern over Stephenson. I’d rather have the first two over Nix too but that’s a different conversation.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
minimus
RealGM

Post#958 » by minimus » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:52 am

Read on Twitter

He is taking threes (5.8 attempts), and he is making them (42.9%)
minimus
RealGM

Post#959 » by minimus » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:09 am

Read on Twitter

First, Minott has definitely bulked up in these two seasons. Second, I think he only lacks a reliable three point shot to become a poor man Siakam. Finally, I hope he will have full offseason to work on his skills and make leap in 3rd year as an energy player from the bench.
minimus
RealGM

Post#960 » by minimus » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:21 am

Read on Twitter

Developing passing skills is a smart way for a young player to get minutes in NBA. Although Miller is averaging 3 turnovers per game, I hope that Iowa HC is intentionally making Miller play with ball in his hands, be creative. So mid season results for Miller will be:

+ he is taking more threes (six attempts per game) and he is making 43% of them
+ he is taking different types of threes: pull-up, relocation, step back
+ he is playing more with ball in his hands
+ pretty consistent free throw shooter - 84.6%

- has showed some inconsistent effort and motor in defense
- turnovers and fouls numbers per game are up
- offensive rebounds and blocks numbers are down

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves