winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,473

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#981 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:31 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

In that same game Leonard Miller dropped a triple double with 21/11/10 in 38 minutes. Minott shot 11-16 (only 1-4 from 3 so 10 of 12 from 2,) for 23 points on 23/4/6/1/1 in 37 minutes.

Regarding Cooke, we saw Nowell do stuff like like this when he was in the G. But the 3 didn’t translate to the NBA. It is hard to get minutes for Minott and Miller much less Cooke in the NBA. Though if we trade for a PG I would be fine waiving Nix and replacing him with Cooke as a two way.

It's very possible that if Minnesota makes a 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trade that Clark gets the 14th rosters spot. It makes sense with him potentially returning from injury and having less than a year of NBA experience. He would be extremely cheap. If Clark goes to a traditional contract a two-way would open.

Clarke is a on a two way next year and then we can get JJ on a 4 year Hinkie special (Naz Reid contract.) There is no way we blow two cheap years and start the clock running now. Sooner promote Cooke to the roster than Clarke
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#982 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:28 pm

winforlose wrote:Clarke is a on a two way next year and then we can get JJ on a 4 year Hinkie special (Naz Reid contract.) There is no way we blow two cheap years and start the clock running now. Sooner promote Cooke to the roster than Clarke

Naz Reid was already on a two-way deal when they bumped him up to that contract. Better to give it to someone who's already been in the Minnesota system than someone who has never stepped foot up here.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#983 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:Clarke is a on a two way next year and then we can get JJ on a 4 year Hinkie special (Naz Reid contract.) There is no way we blow two cheap years and start the clock running now. Sooner promote Cooke to the roster than Clarke

Naz Reid was already on a two-way deal when they bumped him up to that contract. Better to give it to someone who's already been in the Minnesota system than someone who has never stepped foot up here.

If you give it to Clarke you accelerate a process you don’t want to accelerate and cost yourself money or control later. If it has to be someone Nix or Garza are both better.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#984 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:41 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

If you give it to Clarke you accelerate a process you don’t want to accelerate and cost yourself money or control later. If it has to be someone Nix or Garza are both better.

Minimums are tied to years of service. Clark is a rookie. Nix and Garza are not. You'd be paying more now, which could accelerate things even more.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#985 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:50 pm

Klomp wrote:

There is no way I convert Clarke to a real contract until I have some kind of idea if he's even an NBA player. And my guess is he's unlikely to ever play meaningful NBA minutes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#986 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:27 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:There is no way I convert Clarke to a real contract until I have some kind of idea if he's even an NBA player. And my guess is he's unlikely to ever play meaningful NBA minutes.

Do you know that Josh Minott is an NBA player?

winforlose
General Manager

Post#987 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Naz Reid was already on a two-way deal when they bumped him up to that contract. Better to give it to someone who's already been in the Minnesota system than someone who has never stepped foot up here.

Minimums are tied to years of service. Clark is a rookie. Nix and Garza are not. You'd be paying more now, which could accelerate things even more.

If that small amount of pro rated difference actually is the key to staying under the tax then convert someone not named Clarke (literally anyone.) By keeping Clarke a 2 way you get more long term value. You lose nothing by converting Cooke on a Hinkie special and moving him later. The roster spot isn’t valuable at that point, and you can make his very low salary non guaranteed every year.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#988 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:There is no way I convert Clarke to a real contract until I have some kind of idea if he's even an NBA player. And my guess is he's unlikely to ever play meaningful NBA minutes.

Do you know that Josh Minott is an NBA player?

Nope. But we have a much larger sample size of actually seeing him between the G League and NBA.

Clarke was a disaster on offense in 3 years of college. I doubt he's playable unless his defense is historically good.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#989 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:05 am

The Toronto Raptors have agreed to sign DJ Carton to a 10-day contract.

Carton has averaged 18.6 points and 5.7 assists for the Iowa Energy this season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves