ImageImageImage

The Will We, Won't We Make the Playoffs Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

The Will We, Won't We Make the Playoffs Thread 

Post#1 » by Note30 » Sun Nov 6, 2016 4:33 am

I remember when Thibs first got hired, there was a bulls fan here telling us the first 10 games were going to be rough. Wish I could find his quote cause he's been spot on so far.

We're already talking about not making the playoffs. How bout we show some grit. Its been five games, with little to no pickup from the steam we built last year. Things will figure themselves out. We need to stop freaking out.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Re: The Will We, Won't We Make the Playoffs Thread 

Post#2 » by PharmD » Sun Nov 6, 2016 4:50 am

We won't and my under 41.5 bet is looking sweet imo
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#3 » by theGreatRC » Sun Nov 6, 2016 5:03 am

We're going to be good. In 25 games, we'll see what team we can become.

If it wasn't for our let ups, we'd arguably be 4-1 right now. We've had 15+ leads in four out of five games, but became too relaxed and let them back in the game
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#4 » by Mattya » Sun Nov 6, 2016 5:24 am

theGreatRC wrote:We're going to be good. In 25 games, we'll see what team we can become.

If it wasn't for our let ups, we'd arguably be 4-1 right now. We've had 15+ leads in four out of five games, but became too relaxed and let them back in the game

This. We lost a few very close games. Win a single game or a couple games and the narrative for the forum is completely different. Season is long. We started strong last year, then were garbage for the majority of the middle of the season, before we were pretty good the last part of the season. Portland had a .35 win percentage before they put it together 31 games into the season last year and finished 44-38. Losing big sucks, but people need to keep some perspective.
TheBrodie
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#5 » by TheBrodie » Sun Nov 6, 2016 5:28 am

If they do itll be a dramatic last 10 games of the season fighting for the 7th, 8th seed with other 3 or 4 teams.

Thibs is the man tho. Loved him here in Chicago.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#6 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 6, 2016 6:39 am

I don't know, but I'm not going to spend the next six months worrying about it. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#7 » by Calinks » Sun Nov 6, 2016 6:48 am

I'm sticking with my initial estimate of 38 wins. I think we will be a much better team than we have shown. Its rough right now but we will get there. We will be in the picture for the playoffs but I think we will finish somewhere around 10th in the west. Maybe even just miss out by a few wins.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#8 » by packforfreedom » Sun Nov 6, 2016 10:56 am

i'm still saying 41 wins. i don't know if that means playoffs, but I'm happy the 50+ wins hype rocket is coming down to earth a bit.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#9 » by Tirion » Sun Nov 6, 2016 3:32 pm

It's been 5 games, 3 of them with Rubio injured. Just need to finish the road trip strong, both those games look winnable. Then Beat LA at home in b2b. And a couple of Eastern teams at home. Take 4 out of next 6 games, get Rubio back and you're cooking. Need to finish November with a record close to .500 and build from there.

@BKN
@ ORL (back to back)
vs LAC
vs LAL (back to back)
vs CHA
vs PHI
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#10 » by alabamawolf » Sun Nov 6, 2016 6:49 pm

If they can hover around .500 going into the new year I think they'll make the playoffs. There's going to be a lot of early growing pains with this young team
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#11 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Nov 6, 2016 8:12 pm

Without Rubio we're surely not a playoff team, with him maybe we are, so it comes down to that I guess.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#12 » by southern wolf » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:43 am

Not this season. Not until we get some decent veterans to pair with the kids.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#13 » by LesGrossman » Mon Nov 7, 2016 7:54 am

theGreatRC wrote:We're going to be good. In 25 games, we'll see what team we can become.

Its not about relaxing. You build a lead, they take timeout and counter. They make a run, you take timeout and counter. Only that often, we didnt take timeout but watched them chip away. Its only working if you constantly adjust to their adjustments so its not that simple to explain why we cant maintain a lead.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#14 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Nov 7, 2016 8:49 am

The losses are frustrating, but I think this is case of 3 steps backwards and 5 steps forward.

This is an organic superteam and once Thibs and the big 3 finds their groove ,watch out. Though we lack players who are willing to the dirty work. Hopefully Thibs can find some reinforcements in January (Pek's injury exception, waive Payne, trade).
Trust the PRosas!
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#15 » by southern wolf » Mon Nov 7, 2016 11:19 am

Nitroglycerin wrote:The losses are frustrating, but I think this is case of 3 steps backwards and 5 steps forward.

This is an organic superteam and once Thibs and the big 3 finds their groove ,watch out. Though we lack players who are willing to the dirty work. Hopefully Thibs can find some reinforcements in January (Pek's injury exception, waive Payne, trade).

Waaay too early to be throwing around that term.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#16 » by Minnesota Power » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:57 pm

Like I said during the offseason several times, number one thing for this season is improvement over last season and progress and improvement from our young players. If we make the playoffs, then great! If not, then we don't.

Although I have to say I am absolutely laughing at the people during those Jimmy Butler trade rumors during the offseason when people were proposing asinine trade ideas claiming if we did this or that we'd have a team that could theoretically compete with the Warriors :lol: :lol: :lol:
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#17 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:46 pm

They'll click soon. Its been 5 games with a new system. Chillax
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#18 » by HitmanCapone » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:14 pm

ALICEinJAM wrote:They'll click soon. Its been 5 games with a new system. Chillax

This. We're 5 games into the season. Everyone needs to just calm down as these knee jerk reactions are quite hilarious especially with the "I told you so" crap
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#19 » by LordBaldric » Tue Nov 8, 2016 7:38 am

We need wins these next two games. We've already blown 3 games vs teams we need to beat to make the playoffs.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#20 » by LibertyPrime » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:17 pm

We've been without our floor general for a bit here; too early to tell. Hopefully Ricky comes back soon.
"The last domino falls here!"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves