ImageImageImage

For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#21 » by cpfsf » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:53 pm

Klomp wrote:Knee-jerk reactions are fun....

Especially when they suggest no solution.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#22 » by Sugarless » Wed Jan 4, 2017 7:16 pm

Klomp wrote:Knee-jerk reactions are fun....

LOL at knee-jerk. We all know you're the ultimate apologist when it comes to Timberwolves' coaching and FO staff (though you've been quieter than usual this season, maybe it gets harder to defend with every losing year), and that's fine if you like it that way, but at least do not pretend like this is all based off of one game or that the guy hasn't been in charge for the past 7 months already. :wink:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#23 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 8:42 pm

Did Thibs have any opinion on KG coming back?

Sent from my LG-H901 using RealGM mobile app
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#24 » by Foye » Wed Jan 4, 2017 8:46 pm

You cant really build a winning team with 3 21 y/os as your best players

Under Smitch we probably mightve had a better record this season given that wouldnt have required implementing a whole new system again (basically third time last three seasons now)

So I'm going to give him another season to figure things out. Its pretty clear that he blew this draft, though.
Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,848

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#25 » by AirP. » Wed Jan 4, 2017 8:52 pm

mercgold3 wrote:What is that have to do with ISO offense with a poor ball handler as a playmaker ? It's not about defense only.

Thibs need to stop thinking he has Jimmy Butler 2.0 in Wiggins.

Thibs helped develop Butler into what he is today, what I mean by that is that in Butler's 3rd year Thibs started putting "faith" into him in certain situations letting him start holding the ball and taking the last shot at the end of quarters(iso). What that did for Butler was let him know the coach sees something in him offensively, which Butler basically locked himself in a gym and worked on his game KNOWING that his coach would utilize him.

If this is being used as a development year then there's no problems, it's quite possible this year will tell let Wiggins know what parts of his game to work on and who knows, in 1-3 offseasons he may be a much better player for it. Thibs is also seeing if Wiggins is learning during the season, if he's somewhat adapting his game and making "smarter" players now then he did at the beginning of the season, basically seeing if he's advancing his game.

When dealing with young players, doing what's best for the short term isn't always the best for the long term. Minnesota has this offseason and possibly next off to decide if Wiggins is good enough to invest a TON of money into, if he's not that guy they need to move him hopefully for someone they think can be that guy. As of now, LaVine looks like a better long term option then Wiggins.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#26 » by AirP. » Wed Jan 4, 2017 8:59 pm

Also, there's been a good number of games that Minnesota could/should have won, a little better luck or more importantly experience and this team could be much closer to .500. You see how the inexperience just kills them when they let teams go on big runs on them with really no answers(they look shell shocked), those kinds of problems should go away with experience/maturity.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#27 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:00 pm

Foye wrote:You cant really build a winning team with 3 21 y/os as your best players

Under Smitch we probably mightve had a better record this season given that wouldnt have required implementing a whole new system again (basically third time last three seasons now)

So I'm going to give him another season to figure things out. Its pretty clear that he blew this draft, though.

How so? It seems the entire draft has been a bust at this point. I wanted Buddy but am 100% ok with Dunn right now, especially considering Rubio's struggles this season.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#28 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:08 pm

AirP. wrote:Also, there's been a good number of games that Minnesota could/should have won, a little better luck or more importantly experience and this team could be much closer to .500. You see how the inexperience just kills them when they let teams go on big runs on them with really no answers(they look shell shocked), those kinds of problems should go away with experience/maturity.

Again, it's not experience.
When we had Kevin Martin doing mistakes like Wiggins is doing now nobody would talk about experience.

The perfect example is the Bulls game, we almos lost that game because in final 2 minutes Thibs decided to stop with the ball movement and pick and roll plays by Rubio to give the ball to Wiggins ISO. In 2 plays, 2 TO.
Last night the same BS.

Nobody is saying that Wiggins is not going to be good. I'm saying Wiggins doesn't havê the ball handling or the BBIQ to improve to a level he's going to be good doing that.

He's a scorer, a finisher, not a playmaker.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#29 » by AirP. » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:20 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Nobody is saying that Wiggins is not going to be good. I'm saying Wiggins doesn't havê the ball handling or the BBIQ to improve to a level he's going to be good doing that.

He's a scorer, a finisher, not a playmaker.

As of now, after Jimmy Butler's 3rd year it seemed that nearly half Chicago fan base on RealGM said offer him 7 million or let him walk, hell, the FO only offered him 9-10 million.

You should go back and read this article of "Jimmy Butler Rejects 'Hometown Discount' Offer From Bulls" and also read the comments at that time in 2014. There was a guy who believed in Jimmy Butler... that was Thibs and the fans didn't see it. Thibs also got production out of players like Nate Robinson, John Lucus III, DJ Augustine(he was released by Toronto during the season).
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235413/Jimmy-Butler-Rejects-Hometown-Discount-Offer-From-Bulls

I think Thibs has done enough to get the benefit of finding good talent and that just maybe this team is too young and possibly don't have the right pieces to make them a good team. You can have good players and still not have a good team, you have to get the right combination and as much as I like Rubio, he's not a great fit on this team. It's a learning year for the players and the coach.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#30 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:30 pm

AirP. wrote:As of now, after Jimmy Butler's 3rd year it seemed that nearly half Chicago fan base on RealGM said offer him 7 million or let him walk, hell, the FO only offered him 9-10 million.

You should go back and read this article of "Jimmy Butler Rejects 'Hometown Discount' Offer From Bulls" and also read the comments at that time in 2014. There was a guy who believed in Jimmy Butler... that was Thibs and the fans didn't see it.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235413/Jimmy-Butler-Rejects-Hometown-Discount-Offer-From-Bulls

I´m not saying i dont believe in Andrew Wiggins, i´m saying Thibs is allowing Wiggins to create bad habits at something that he´s never going to be good. From college days that Wiggins is an horrible ball handler, in 3 years he didnt improve a bit his handling, maybe some can say he improved maybe a little bit but i dont see it. Even with a tiny improvement you dont need to be a master to see that Andrew is never going to be the guy to initiate an offense play after play.

Im not even talk about having Rubio in the corner, that is the stupid thing i seen in basketball lately. If is to put Rubio in a corner, bench him and start Dunn, after all is another development year.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#31 » by Foye » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:46 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Foye wrote:You cant really build a winning team with 3 21 y/os as your best players

How so? It seems the entire draft has been a bust at this point. I wanted Buddy but am 100% ok with Dunn right now, especially considering Rubio's struggles this season.

Jamal Murray was the obvious pick. He has shown flashes of being a good player already and is about half the age Dunn is. I would be heavily surprised if he does not end up a better player.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#32 » by AirP. » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:54 pm

mercgold3 wrote:I´m not saying i dont believe in Andrew Wiggins, i´m saying Thibs is allowing Wiggins to create bad habits at something that he´s never going to be good. From college days that Wiggins is an horrible ball handler, in 3 years he didnt improve a bit his handling, maybe some can say he improved maybe a little bit but i dont see it. Even with a tiny improvement you dont need to be a master to see that Andrew is never going to be the guy to initiate an offense play after play.

Never? He has the ability to get much better if he's willing to put in the work, basically anyone can become better with enough work. The question is will he put in the work?

mercgold3 wrote:Im not even talk about having Rubio in the corner, that is the stupid thing i seen in basketball lately. If is to put Rubio in a corner, bench him and start Dunn, after all is another development year.

The corner 3 is the shortest and seen as the easiest 3pt shot in the NBA, I'd assume that's why he gets put over there. On Rubio playing over Dunn, be happy he's seeing the floor at all, Thibs really, really doesn't like to lose and he believes young players lose games and he's been proven time after time. The problem in Minnesota, that's about all they have so I'd have to think Thibs understands it's going to be a rough couple of years to get the team where he wants it, the upside, they have 3 players(KAT, LaVine, Wiggins) that could be difference makers and those are hard to come by in the NBA.

Quite honestly, Thibs will only do this for one year, he doesn't like losing but he didn't make any hasty trades or signings in an attempt to make the team better, so I honestly have to believe this year is nearly 100% development/evaluations to him.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#33 » by Vindicater » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:04 pm

I am happy to give him two seasons.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#34 » by Calinks » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:17 pm

People don't want to hear it but I will keep saying it, you dont win with three 21 year olds being the pillars of your team. On top of that factor in how young, inexperienced, and one dimensional the supporting cast is and you got problems. I have seen some people point to OKC and what they did after a few years together.

1. this is year 2 of our current core 3 guys

2. Totally new coach and system this season

3. (And this is a big one) I am certain that our core 3 guys, while pretty damn talented and good, is nowhere near the level of OKC's. Think about. Durant, Westbrook, Harden. ALL THREE of those guys are absolutely MVP caliber NBA players today and all three are sure fire hall of famers. That is probably the greatest drafted trio in NBA history if not right up there.

I am not saying Thibs is perfect, or there aren't thing he can try to make it work better, but its like playing Texas Holdem Poker, He's got an Ace and King in his hand with a Queen and a jack on the board. He's sitting on a possible straight but the hand needs to develop before he can take the pot. We are trash right now but at the end of the day the story is still the same, need more time.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#35 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:31 pm

Calinks wrote:People don't want to hear it but I will keep saying it, you dont win with three 21 year olds being the pillars of your team.

What about with two ?
Come on, is always the same story, or is the youth or is because our guys dont have the talent of other young players / teams.

I'm sure Towns was considerer by "A Whole Lot of NBA GMs Would Start a Franchise With Karl-Anthony Towns Over Anybody Else" for a reason.

He sure looked like a young Tim Duncan last year.

Has Brogdon or Delly, Snell, Giannis, Parker, Henson, experience enough to start winning ?

I don't think so. Just "Another exception" .
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#36 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:39 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Did Thibs have any opinion on KG coming back?

Sent from my LG-H901 using RealGM mobile app

He didn't want him back.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,850

Post#37 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:16 am

mercgold3 wrote:
Calinks wrote:People don't want to hear it but I will keep saying it, you dont win with three 21 year olds being the pillars of your team.

What about with two ?
Come on, is always the same story, or is the youth or is because our guys dont have the talent of other young players / teams.

I'm sure Towns was considerer by "A Whole Lot of NBA GMs Would Start a Franchise With Karl-Anthony Towns Over Anybody Else" for a reason.

Has Brogdon or Delly, Snell, Giannis, Parker, Henson, experience enough to start winning ?

Towns was not a good defender last year, and he's not one this year. Towns is struggling this year because defenses are doubling him hard. He's also just missing bunnies around the rim, I guess that's Thibs fault though.

Giannis is a top 10 player in the NBA so obviously they are playing better than we are as a team.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#38 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:30 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

What about with two ?

Towns was not a good defender last year, and he's not one this year. Towns is struggling this year because defenses are doubling him hard. He's also just missing bunnies around the rim, I guess that's Thibs fault though.

Giannis is a top 10 player in the NBA so obviously they are playing better than we are as a team.

Anthony Davis is also a top-10 player in the NBA and they (NO) are not winning.

I guess the experience doesn't count with the 22YO Giannis or the 21YO Jabari Parker.

Let's not forget the Bucks made the playoffs 2 years ago with rookies and 2/3 years experience players in the NBA.

Btw in the second year of Wiggins / Lavine, first of Towns a lot people Brough up the OKC as example how they only started to win in 3rd year.

Now the excuse changed too, and is "we don't have a player to the level of Durant / Harden / RW"

Guess what ? None of this guys had a more impressive rookie season than Towns. Or even Wiggins (Maybe Durant)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#39 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:40 am

Lets not also forget the Bucks are in the east.

Have a better constructed roster to their play style.

Have had the same coaching staff for the last few seasons.

Wiggins, Shabazz, Dieng, Rubio, Lavine have had a new coach and staff every season they have been in the league (not Rubio but he has also gone through a lot of coaching changeds in recent seasons.)

Giannis is also playing better than anyone on our roster, he's a cut above all of our guys right now.

The team has a lot of issues, some of us were saying this last year when Smitch was coaching but people didn't want to hear it, they wanted to say it was all the coach which is what a lot of people are starting to say this year. We need experience and consistency as much as anything else.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#40 » by shangrila » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:41 am

Foye wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Jamal Murray was the obvious pick. He has shown flashes of being a good player already and is about half the age Dunn is. I would be heavily surprised if he does not end up a better player.

No he wasn't. Especially not when we have LaVine.

Murray's ok but people act like we passed on a star. He's an off ball SG (not a PG btw) who's a terrible defender and likely will be for the rest of his career. There's value in that but it's far from "blowing" our pick even if Dunn is out of the league in a few years.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves