Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Re: Wolves select Justin Patton at No. 16 

Post#81 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm

This comp came to my mind last night too:

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Shot form looks good to me!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Patton, who turns 20 next Wednesday, comes from an interesting background. His mother is a marathon runner and his father is 7-foot-3 and 360 pounds.

“So hopefully, one day I fill out a bit,’’ Patton said.

Read on Twitter

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,848

Post#84 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Maefteda wrote:I really liked Patton before the draft, but I'm just not sure about his fit with us after the Butler trade. We needed 3PT shooting and since our window is a hell of a lot closer now, we could have used someone who could produce straight away.

Even if Patton pans out.. could he play next to Towns? They seem like similar type of players, so I'm not so sure about the fit.

Again, he was one of my sleeper picks this year, but is he right for us?

You need 3pt shooting, are you sure Rubio won't still be moved to bring in a PG who can hit 3pters? How much does Rubio's incredible passing help you more then having a reliable 3pt shooter at PG when you already have KAT, Butler and Wiggins out there as scorers? A 3pt threat will give them all more space. It'll be interesting to see what Minnesota does, they have to spend their cap this year with Wiggins's extension coming 2018.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#85 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm

derek360 wrote:Would've preferred John Collins or even Tyler Lydon. Patton is a project at this point. I don't see him making an impact anytime soon. I hope I am wrong. At least Collins and Lydon can shoot.

He seems to have pretty nice touch even outside to the NBA 3PT%. FT% is low, but not so out of the ordinary for a freshman center. Most importantly, seems to finish everything near the basket: 68.4 FG% !!

This is a guy that has big upside and hopefully will make up for the Wolves passing on Deandre Jordan and Hassan Whiteside when everyone knew they had boom or bust potential.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#87 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Klomp wrote:Patton, who turns 20 next Wednesday, comes from an interesting background. His mother is a marathon runner and his father is 7-foot-3 and 360 pounds.

Read on Twitter

:o
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#88 » by MN7725 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Klomp wrote:Patton, who turns 20 next Wednesday, comes from an interesting background. His mother is a marathon runner and his father is 7-foot-3 and 360 pounds.

Read on Twitter

:o

Patton isn't done growing!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 pm

MN7725 wrote:Patton isn't done growing!

He probably won't get taller, but could add another 10-20 pounds.

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#90 » by ace625214 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 pm

AirP. wrote:
Maefteda wrote:I really liked Patton before the draft, but I'm just not sure about his fit with us after the Butler trade. We needed 3PT shooting and since our window is a hell of a lot closer now, we could have used someone who could produce straight away.

Even if Patton pans out.. could he play next to Towns? They seem like similar type of players, so I'm not so sure about the fit.

You need 3pt shooting, are you sure Rubio won't still be moved to bring in a PG who can hit 3pters? How much does Rubio's incredible passing help you more then having a reliable 3pt shooter at PG when you already have KAT, Butler and Wiggins out there as scorers? A 3pt threat will give them all more space. It'll be interesting to see what Minnesota does, they have to spend their cap this year with Wiggins's extension coming 2018.

The Wolves have had a good offense every year Ricky has been at the helm. His passing and vision far outweighs his lack of shooting. I can definitely see Thibs still moving him, but I think they'll have a really good offense either way. Butler is going to be able to return to using his off-ball skill on cuts and post-ups now that he has better scoring teammates to take the pressure off.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,848

Post#91 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 pm

ace625214 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

The Wolves have had a good offense every year Ricky has been at the helm. I can definitely see Thibs still moving him, but I think they'll have a really good offense either way. Butler is going to be able to return to using his off-ball skill on cuts and post-ups now that he has better scoring teammates to take the pressure off.

The one thing offensive weakness is Rubio's outside shot. The wolves may now have some games won or lost because of Rubio's outside shot. If I were gameplanning against them I'd be more then ok allowing Rubio to have space to shoot the ball. It's quite possible to get a lesser player to play PG yet be a better fit for the team. Minnesota absolutely has a goto guy in Butler for late game heroics, if your PG can't shoot it's going to hurt.

Look at it this way so far...
PG - Rubio
SG - Wiggins
SF - Butler
PF - Dieng
C - Towns

You're not moving Wiggins, Butler or Towns for more 3pt shooting, you really can't go with a stretch PF and give up even more defense near the basket, the only logical place to upgrade 3pt shooting would be PG. It's actually a good problem to have because you'd expect to be able to address it in free agency or maybe a trade.

Most of the game Rubio's shot may not be a problem, last possession of the game or end of shot clocks it may be a big problem. If you're comfortable with one on one shots at clutch time and the rest of the time Rubio creating fine, just don't think that works well at high level play like the playoffs, something the Wolves have to think about now.

Just looking at wide open 3s, Rubio shot below 32% last season.
http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-closest-defender/#!?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=FG3_PCT&dir=1&TeamID=1610612750&CloseDefDistRange=6%2B%20Feet%20-%20Wide%20Open

Wow... Butler shot nearly 47% from 3 when wide open.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#92 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 pm

I can't wait to see Patton in the Summer League this year. I watch a ton of college hoops, but if I'm totally honest, I had no clue who he was when we drafted him. His tapes show really impressive athleticism and a decent outside shot. I still probably would've taken John Collins but hopefully Justin proves me wrong!
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Wolves select Justin Patton at No. 16 

Post#93 » by Foye » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 pm

I like the Patton pick. Seems like a better prospect than Markkanen.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#94 » by Piecake » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Foye wrote:I like the Patton pick. Seems like a better prospect than Markkanen.

I think it all depends on if he can hit a jumper.

There are signs that he can develop one, but his FT% is certainly concerning. If he can't, he is going to be an average third big at best. If he can, likely will be a solid starter who has the quickness and the shooting touch to actually play the 4 and space the floor.

I imagine that the wolves have to be pretty confident that he can develop that jumper considering that there were other players who fit the wolves better on paper who were picked later. DJ Wilson is an obvious example who was picked one pick later, and who can certainly shoot, plays 4, and has the quickness to defend in space.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#95 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:55 am

I knew about 10 minutes after we drafted him, Patton was going to be awesome. Not even worried, guarantee he is a good pick. We got Greek Freak Lite. Arooooo!
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#96 » by karch34 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:22 am

I see a lot of young Camby in him. Yeah, if we're focused on position there might have been better fits, but as far as potential I don't see an issue with the pick.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#97 » by Takingbaconback » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:31 am

Once he stops fading back on his shots and establishes a more forward base, he should get much more consistent. It will help him shoot the ball up instead of leaning back and shooting it flat. He's got a good feeling for where the basket is in his shot, he just has to give the ball a chance to get in the hoop. Keep working big fella, fingers crossed he can make some major impact in the second half of this season.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#98 » by Swish4 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:22 am

Watching alot of video on Patton today. Pretty raw overall on both ends, but goodness, he has quick feet, great hands, surprising coordination and plus athleticism. If he puts in the work he'll be a solid starter in this league I think, and he seems to have the right kind of makeup to do just that. I think it's really just a matter of how long he'll take to develop and how he meshes with Thibs and the current roster.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#99 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 am

I see Jimmy Butler has stolen Patton's college number #23
PuppyBite
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#100 » by PuppyBite » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Calinks wrote:I knew about 10 minutes after we drafted him, Patton was going to be awesome. Not even worried, guarantee he is a good pick. We got Greek Freak Lite. Arooooo!

It only took me 3 minutes to know. Perfect risk at 16,but OG might have been similar risk with ACL concerns. Posted this before, but Tyson Chandler would be an awesome mentor/role player to get on the roster now...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves