45 Steals
39 Blocks

Closer than I thought though!
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,732

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#442 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:38 am

Malik Monk is the front runner, but he is injured now and not sure if he made the 65 games played threshold.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,278

Post#443 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:26 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Malik Monk is the front runner, but he is injured now and not sure if he made the 65 games played threshold.

He's played in 72 games.

And I believe only one of them was too short to qualify.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,732

Post#444 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:52 pm

Then it's for sure it's his award to win. Unless Naz goes absolutely super saiyan level in last 9 games.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 368

Post#445 » by Guest84 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:10 pm

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,495

Post#446 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:24 pm

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,775

Post#447 » by shrink » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:16 pm

Cool to see Naz Reid wants the Sixth Man Award, in Wiretap.

I thought Malik Monk had this locked up (15.4 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 5.1 APG), but maybe a case could be made for Naz.

He’s at 13.6 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.3 APG, but his 3P% is 41.8% to Monk’s 35.0%, he’s a better defender, he’s been available for every game, and Naz is one of the main reasons MIN is still in first place, when everyone said they would drop when KAT went down.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,980

Post#448 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:48 pm

shrink wrote:Cool to see Naz Reid wants the Sixth Man Award, in Wiretap.

I thought Malik Monk had this locked up (15.4 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 5.1 APG), but maybe a case could be made for Naz.

He’s at 13.6 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.3 APG, but his 3P% is 41.8% to Monk’s 35.0%, he’s a better defender, he’s been available for every game, and Naz is one of the main reasons MIN is still in first place, when everyone said they would drop when KAT went down.

I think this season-ending push might really help him, especially since everyone thought we would plummet without Towns. On the flip side, Monk supporters do have a case to see how much the Kings have been hurting without Monk (though it's not only him).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#449 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:59 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:Cool to see Naz Reid wants the Sixth Man Award, in Wiretap.

I think this season-ending push might really help him, especially since everyone thought we would plummet without Towns. On the flip side, Monk supporters do have a case to see how much the Kings have been hurting without Monk (though it's not only him).

Naz has played 77 games and counting. Monk is stuck on 72. The best ability is availability. This should count for a lot.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#450 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:40 pm

One more thought on Naz from me today. Actually, it's a player comp. Some people might take it to be an insult, but it's not at all meant to be.

Jerami Grant

Both are scoring forwards with a decently versatile game. I think Reid could get a large payday, but he seems self-aware enough to value much more than that. Reid is more PF who has slid down to C in the past, while Grant has moved between the two forward spots. But I think he actually has that kind of money-making upside down the road.

The biggest difference between them is that in the first opportunity for a payday, Grant took the biggest bag possible and cares more about his numbers and role than team success, while Naz is a more selfless guy who opted to stay in a healthy locker room with friends because they had a chance for a lot of team success, even if he could have a bigger role elsewhere.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM

Post#451 » by shrink » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:55 pm

There is one line of thinking that suggests we should trade Naz while he is so valuable, because we won’t be able to afford his next deal in 15 months. I don’t agree with it though.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#452 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:56 pm

shrink wrote:There is one line of thinking that suggests we should trade Naz while he is so valuable, because we won’t be able to afford his next deal in 15 months. I don’t agree with it though.

I'd rather trade KAT and keep Naz and NAW.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:05 pm

shrink wrote:There is one line of thinking that suggests we should trade Naz while he is so valuable, because we won’t be able to afford his next deal in 15 months. I don’t agree with it though.

He really seems like a Bobby Portis to me, where he values winning and "culture" over the money.

And if you really sit down and think about it, one way or another the situation will likely be resolved in the next 15 months. There are four courses of action.
1. Stick with the status quo
-Most assume this is unlikely, but it's still a potential outcome.
2. Move KAT to fix the luxury tax issue.
-This is the early favorite in the clubhouse because he makes the most money and arguably has the most trade value.
3. Move Gobert
-Not often discussed, but I do think it should be. He'll be 33 in his last year, so there will have to be a succession plan made at some point. I wouldn't assume he'll be here in 2026-27, so his contract is a potential asset to use before it expires.
4. Move Naz Reid
-This is probably the least popular outcome, and probably for good reason. If and when he opts out, he'll still be just 26 years old. He fits perfectly for those who believe a roster's core should be within the same age range.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#454 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:19 pm

Klomp wrote:

He really seems like a Bobby Portis to me, where he values winning and "culture" over the money.

And if you really sit down and think about it, one way or another the situation will likely be resolved in the next 15 months. There are four courses of action.
1. Stick with the status quo
-Most assume this is unlikely, but it's still a potential outcome.
2. Move KAT to fix the luxury tax issue.
-This is the early favorite in the clubhouse because he makes the most money and arguably has the most trade value.

3. Move Gobert
-Not often discussed, but I do think it should be. He'll be 33 in his last year, so there will have to be a succession plan made at some point. I wouldn't assume he'll be here in 2026-27, so his contract is a potential asset to use before it expires.
4. Move Naz Reid
-This is probably the least popular outcome, and probably for good reason. If and when he opts out, he'll still be just 26 years old. He fits perfectly for those who believe a roster's core should be within the same age range.

This is where I am. And I love KAT.

My gut says Rudy will still be able to drag a defense into the Top 10 by himself in his mid 30s. He keeps himself in such good shape and his defense is based much more on his massive size and smarts than sheer athleticism. I have zero problem projecting him playing out another contract at a very high level.

KAT is absolutely more talented than Naz, but I think Naz gives you, easily, 75-80% of KAT - and I think he's actually a better fit for what Finch wants to do on offense. Naz is the very definition of read/react. He sees the floor so well, and the ball never sticks. He's made his decision what to do before the ball gets to him. Its not always the right decision, but his instincts are terrific. KAT loves to probe and survey before making a move. And it compounds when Ant gets into that mode as well.

Plus, as I've mentioned before, KAT's injuries are really piling up. Iron Man through 4 seasons, but he's played fewer games than Embiid the past 5. Its too many years to call it a fluke, and at 29 I don't see him suddenly getting past it. He wasn't healthy in the Playoffs last year, he's not going to be this year either.

We're going to need a PG soon. That's going to cost money unless we draft really well. Even if we "sell kind of low" on KAT in a deal where we get back, say, Dejounte Murray along with picks and cap relief, I'm good with it. Having all 3 of Murray, Naz, NAW and some picks wins out over just KAT for me.
shrink
RealGM

Post#455 » by shrink » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:19 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

Me too. But Towns is paid what he is paid, which is an issue for some bidders. Naz is a plus contract that fits on everyone’s team.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#456 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:21 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Me too. But Towns is paid what he is paid, which is an issue for some bidders. Naz is a plus contract that fits on everyone’s team.

And that's why I'm willing to take back less than full freight for KAT, because I think it can make us a better team - even if we take a little hit on the top end.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#457 » by minimus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7XOa0j2t5r4

Guys, how to read that Naz Reid is 74 in estimated defensive plus minus percentile, and Monk is 21?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,919

Post#458 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:56 pm

For all the love Reid is getting, am I alone in think Nickeil Alexander-Walker is simply better and more important for our team?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#459 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:For all the love Reid is getting, am I alone in think Nickeil Alexander-Walker is simply better and more important for our team?

1. I said NAW is capable of dropping 20 on any given night. So clearly you are not alone in appreciating NAW.

2. This question is kinda tough because they are in some ways the opposite of one another. Naz is an offensive focused big with a decent but not great handle and a mostly consistent shot. Naz can play good defense and is an emerging shot blocker, but he is not known for playing strong defense. NAW is a defensive focused small who is known for getting through screens and defending the point of attack. He has a streaky and inconsistent 3 ball. NAW has gotten his percentage up to 39.8%, but he has made about 40% less and cannot always sustain the volume. Both players could be considered 6th men, and both are good enough to start on at least a 1/3 to a 1/2 the teams in the league.

3. The good news we don’t have to choose because we have both, and they both have clearly defined roles which they thrive in.
shrink
RealGM

Post#460 » by shrink » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:48 pm

Yes! And we have them both locked up cheap for next year too!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves