ImageImageImage

The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 182

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#481 » by Loaf_of_bread » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 am

I heard from multiple voters that the towel influenced their vote. They didn't specify if it influenced positively or negatively.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,433

Post#482 » by younggunsmn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am

Congrats Naz!
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 716

Post#483 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm

Well deserved. Hardly ever goes to a bigman!
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,426

Post#484 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm

karch34 wrote:Well deserved. Hardly ever goes to a bigman!

Naz reinventing himself as a huge wing has paid dividends on and off the court.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,603

Post#485 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

Naz improving his shot (from everywhere,) while also speeding up his decision making has been the biggest change.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#486 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Naz improving his shot (from everywhere,) while also speeding up his decision making has been the biggest change.

Don't discount losing like 40 pounds. Naz has always had skills, his body just wouldn't let him employ them.

He's never really been a center, but its the only position he could play. Now he's essentially a SF.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,749

Post#487 » by Clav » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:46 pm

I am so thrilled for Naz Reid. Have been curiously interested in his game as we got him Undrafted. Had a lot to improve upon and this is really the icing on the cake. He's been a pivotal player for Minnesota for 2+ years now and this year he's upped his game even further. Congrats!!!!

It was such a close result, and had I had a vote, I might have even voted Monk because I was following his big season too. Monk had a GREAT year, and had he not been injured in the final stages, I think he would have won it.

Regardless, to the victor goes the spoils, Reid adds some nice accolades to his trophy case and it was well-deserved as he played in KAT's absence. :D
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,163

Post#488 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:13 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

I don't think enough people realize, he's basically the size of LeBron. You could probably call him a taller Charles Barkley too. Look at how much of a mismatch LeBron has presented for the last 20 years on size alone. It can be a weapon if you have the other skills in your bag to go along with it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:24 pm

Clav wrote:Monk had a GREAT year, and had he not been injured in the final stages, I think he would have won it.

I think I agree with this. The last month of the season was what allowed Naz Reid to close the gap. Not only Monk's injury and Reid moving into the starting lineup, but look at Monk's last 7 games before his injury. Making just 3 of his last 30 3-pointers dropped Monk from 37% to 35% on 3-pointers. Meanwhile, that's right about when Towns went down and Naz Reid moved to the starting lineup. Naz Reid finished the season making 41% of 3-pointers, a pretty big stat for a 6-foot-9 "big".
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#490 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

I don't think enough people realize, he's basically the size of LeBron. You could probably call him a taller Charles Barkley too. Look at how much of a mismatch LeBron has presented for the last 20 years on size alone. It can be a weapon if you have the other skills in your bag to go along with it.

LeBron might have 30 pounds on Naz...

Naz was 6'9 and like 260 pounds at the combine with 14% Body Fat.

I believe he plays now in the high 220s - low 230s.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#491 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:50 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

I said basically....

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#492 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 pm

Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't think enough people realize, he's basically the size of LeBron. You could probably call him a taller Charles Barkley too. Look at how much of a mismatch LeBron has presented for the last 20 years on size alone. It can be a weapon if you have the other skills in your bag to go along with it.

I said basically....

Right. I'm just saying how amazing it is that LeBron is more of a Center than Naz.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,603

Post#493 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:36 pm

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#494 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:45 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Don't discount losing like 40 pounds. Naz has always had skills, his body just wouldn't let him employ them.

He's never really been a center, but its the only position he could play. Now he's essentially a SF.

Absolutely. Naz always had the skills. His transformation from Dough Boy to being totally ripped is amazing.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,985

Post#495 » by shrink » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:57 pm

winforlose wrote:

Thanks for posting that! I watched it live, and just after the video ended, they had Naz pose for photos with the team.

The happiest guy there was .. Towns! He had a giant smile with his arm around Naz a giant smile, and then flashed six fingers.

I know there are plenty of people that hate Towns, but one thing you can say about him is that he has been committed to this team. The more accolades Naz gets, the better he plays, the more likely it is he will end up taking Towns’ job. But Naz success, like Rudy’s, may be bad for him personally, but great for the team. KAT has seemed to embrace that.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#496 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:58 pm

winforlose wrote:

I have to admit. I got a little emotional watching that.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,985

Post#497 » by shrink » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:03 pm

Some people will hate hearing this, but Glen Taylor made the right call last summer telling Tim Connelly to “get it done,” when Tim wasn’t willing to raise his offer to give Naz an extension, and he was going to become a free agent.

Naz also deserves a ton of credit. He was only days away from becoming an unrestricted free agent, and several more lucrative offers were rumored from other teams. He chose to come down on his number and play for less, on a team that wasn’t great for his career with big men ahead of him, because he liked the team and appreciated that the Wolves were willing to sign him.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,034

Post#498 » by wolves_89 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 pm

Three years from now I'm really hoping to see a starting lineup that includes Naz, Ant, Jaden, and NAW (maybe KAT as well). If that is the case, I think the Wolves future could be incredible.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#499 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 pm

wolves_89 wrote:Three years from now I'm really hoping to see a starting lineup that includes Naz, Ant, Jaden, and NAW (maybe KAT as well). If that is the case, I think the Wolves future could be incredible.

If we move on from KAT and keep NAZ I hope we have traded KAT for DeJounte Murray.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#500 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:59 pm

wolves_89 wrote:Three years from now I'm really hoping to see a starting lineup that includes Naz, Ant, Jaden, and NAW (maybe KAT as well). If that is the case, I think the Wolves future could be incredible.

I'm a little nervous about the idea of starting Ant and NAW.

Watching Phoenix should make us more than a little nervous about that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves