Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#141 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:57 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:I have been thinking about the rotation this season and next and the one variable I keep getting stuck on is JMAC. His floor is end of bench, but where is his ceiling? We are seeing him facilitating at an extremely high level, but not consistently score. His speed is extremely valuable, but his lack of size makes him vulnerable to being stuffed or forced to take out of control shots to avoid the block. I thought of doing this as a poll, but I will just ask here, is JMAC a part of our future or should we try and upgrade the backup PG in the offseason? Or in the alternative should we try even harder to turn Leo into the backup PG and move on from JMAC?

I think it's important to keep in mind the possible outcome of upgrading the starting lineup this offseason. The first starter to drop to the second unit could very easily be Beverley, making him the backup PG upgrade.

Very true. This is also part of what I am struggling with in thinking of the future of the team. It also begs the question are other teams interested in JMAC? I mean he has his warts, but the Griz paid Tyus around 8x3 for a similar skill set. If there is a trade market for JMAC what is his value? He is the one piece that is so hard to game out.

I don't think he has the same value around the league. Remember that Jones was a more heralded player in both HS and college, which resulted in a higher draft position (Jones was a 1st rounder while McLaughlin was undrafted). He also has been generally more consistent in the league (McLaughlin has had Jones-like spurts followed up by some G League-level rough patches that hold him back).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,448

Post#142 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:03 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think it's important to keep in mind the possible outcome of upgrading the starting lineup this offseason. The first starter to drop to the second unit could very easily be Beverley, making him the backup PG upgrade.

Very true. This is also part of what I am struggling with in thinking of the future of the team. It also begs the question are other teams interested in JMAC? I mean he has his warts, but the Griz paid Tyus around 8x3 for a similar skill set. If there is a trade market for JMAC what is his value? He is the one piece that is so hard to game out.

I don't think he has the same value around the league. Remember that Jones was a more heralded player in both HS and college, which resulted in a higher draft position (Jones was a 1st rounder while McLaughlin was undrafted). He also has been generally more consistent in the league (McLaughlin has had Jones-like spurts followed up by some G League-level rough patches that hold him back).

Again, very true. But, having a huge stretch of high assist low turnover play is the kind of thing that opens eyes and grabs attention. How much is the question.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:08 pm

We need to bring back up the thread to talk about this kid. I know I was pushing back on him back in February, but I've always loved him. I just am looking at the overall roster construction.

Here's something to ponder in roster construction...we like multiple initiators and we need a POA defender between PG-SG-SF. As Edwards grows, I wonder if he'll take even a bigger initiator role (what Russell has now). Then we have Beverley who won't be around forever. There is a place here for him

I think there's a path to him sticking around longterm. It will just be interesting to see how we get there.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#144 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:22 pm

Klomp wrote:We need to bring back up the thread to talk about this kid. I know I was pushing back on him back in February, but I've always loved him. I just am looking at the overall roster construction.

Here's something to ponder in roster construction...we like multiple initiators and we need a POA defender between PG-SG-SF. As Edwards grows, I wonder if he'll take even a bigger initiator role (what Russell has now). Then we have Beverley who won't be around forever. There is a place here for him

I think there's a path to him sticking around longterm. It will just be interesting to see how we get there.

It’s funny that there seems to be debate about who is the real JMAC. Is it Jayden McDaniels or Jordan McLaughlin. Is one Big Mac and the other Little Mac, ect… in truth Jordan McLaughlin is JMAC and there are two different versions we get to see. There is the JMAC from 2019 who made himself at home in the late months of 2021, and there is the JMAC who reintroduced himself in 2022.

The 2021 JMAC cannot play any defense against any player regardless of size. The 2022 JMAC is a “Little Ninja” who can poke the ball away and every once in a blue moon sneak in and get a blindside block. The 2021 JMAC might not turn the ball over, but he also couldn’t facilitate much offense. The 2022 JMAC has a knack for passing into the shot pocket of guys like Beasley and Reid. The 2021 JMAC was an end of bench guy who you think about waiving, the 2022 JMAC is a more interesting conversation.

Unfortunately all the heart in the world cannot make JMAC grow. Playing defense at 5’11 185 isn’t easy. Plenty of PGs can back him down and score in the low post. Worse, JMAC isn’t well suited to a switching scheme that the Wolves love to employ. JMAC also doesn’t seem that good at POA defense often getting his steals in passing lanes rather than from picking the pocket of opposing PGs one on one. Ultimately, JMAC’s defense makes him a liability in most matchups. That means his offensive trade off needs to be good enough to be willing to suffer the downside.

JMAC on offense is a poor man’s Tyus Jones. Smaller than Tyus and without the consistent 3 point shooting that Tyus has developed, JMAC like Tyus excels at assist to turnover ratio. JMAC as I mentioned above has improved his pass placement to enable catch and shoot much easier, and most importantly plays with a speed and pace that our other PGs lack.

All of the above being true, JMAC is too inconsistent to remain 2nd string PG long term. While he is better than some alternative and certainly cheep enough, there are bigger and similarly capable PGs who can do some of what JMAC does while also adding more tools like a consistent mid range shot or a better corner 3. Jaylen Nowell developing into a PG is an example of gaining 5 inches of size while also increasing scoring in exchange for some passing and facilitating. I like JMAC, I really do, but at the end of the day, is he really a 2nd string PG on a good NBA team?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#145 » by shrink » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:31 pm

Nice post winforlose.

I love McLaughlin, but I was shocked that he got on the floor in the playoffs, and even more shocked how well he did!

I am not sure this is sustainable, but I did post when he entered the game, “anyone else more comfortable when JMac replaces DLo?” (Little brag there). But there is no doubt that despite his limitation, McLaughlin makes his teammates better with the pace he puts into the game. Hopefully, like Tyus and Rubio, the increase from the other four teammates can negate any decrease we might see due to Jordan’s limitations. I love his brains and I love the way he runs this team!
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#146 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:32 pm

shrink wrote:Nice post winforlose.

I love McLaughlin, but I was shocked that he got on the floor in the playoffs, and even more shocked how well he did!

I am not sure this is sustainable, but I did post when he entered the game, “anyone else more comfortable when JMac replaces DLo?” (Little brag there). But there is no doubt that despite his limitation, McLaughlin makes his teammates better with the pace he puts into the game. Hopefully, like Tyus and Rubio, the increase from the other four teammates can negate any decrease we might see due to Jordan’s limitations. I love his brains and I love the way he runs this team!

Jmac doesn't jump out but he makes a lot of winnings plays. Pushes pace, gets everyone good looks, and he isn't a great defender but he's pesky on D, gets steals and deflections.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:55 pm

CF: He’s a winning player. Winning players find ways to help you win. The system-fit is perfect, we know that. Players love playing with him. I can’t tell you how many guys came to me and said, “Can I play more minutes with J-Mac?” To the point that I started wondering, who’s going to start for us then (laughs)? And he made shots at really opportune times, and he would make runs of shots too. It was streaky but it was good. Defensively he picks up, he competes, he gets into the ball. One thing we never able to evolve, in terms of maximizing pieces of your roster, is that he and DLo have a great combination, a great chemistry out there. But because of the depth that we had with PB and Ant, it was hard to get those guys playing together. So I think that is something we can do a little bit for sure. But yeah, J-Mac is slotted right in there as the backup point guard and he is not to be ignored.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2022/09/setting-new-expectations-timberwolves-look-to-be-serious-contenders-in-the-west-nba/

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#148 » by Dewey » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:15 am

JMac has had his ups and downs, but generally speaking, he’s a decent yet “quiet” performer. Clearly liked by his team mates (as already mentioned) and I think his team attitude is welcomed.

I don’t cringe when he’s entering the game because you know he’s a lunch-box type guy never looking to make himself bigger than the game. I’ve never seen him him pout about his pt and always seems to be ready to try and bring a steady presence/pace.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#149 » by Zonarosa » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:41 pm

Klomp wrote:CF: He’s a winning player. Winning players find ways to help you win. The system-fit is perfect, we know that. Players love playing with him. I can’t tell you how many guys came to me and said, “Can I play more minutes with J-Mac?” To the point that I started wondering, who’s going to start for us then (laughs)? And he made shots at really opportune times, and he would make runs of shots too. It was streaky but it was good. Defensively he picks up, he competes, he gets into the ball. One thing we never able to evolve, in terms of maximizing pieces of your roster, is that he and DLo have a great combination, a great chemistry out there. But because of the depth that we had with PB and Ant, it was hard to get those guys playing together. So I think that is something we can do a little bit for sure. But yeah, J-Mac is slotted right in there as the backup point guard and he is not to be ignored.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2022/09/setting-new-expectations-timberwolves-look-to-be-serious-contenders-in-the-west-nba/

someone here isn’t going to like hearing finch say that.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#150 » by minimus » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:49 pm

In one of preseason game I noticed that tried to block opponent big man from behind. Was funny. But if I remember correctly he did it last game. This guy plays big
winforlose
General Manager

Post#151 » by winforlose » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:43 am

During game 2 I thought Mike or Jim said something about JMAC getting yanked in game 1. I meant to ask about it at the time, but forgot. Did anyone hear it and can they fill me in?
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#152 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:38 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/timberwolves-jordan-mclaughlin-likely-weeks-away-from-playing/

Seems like a similar injury to Towns on the opposite calf. Not practicing yet, so probably still a couple of weeks away from returning. Would be nice to have him back.
minimus
RealGM

Post#153 » by minimus » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:10 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/timberwolves-jordan-mclaughlin-likely-weeks-away-from-playing/

Seems like a similar injury to Towns on the opposite calf. Not practicing yet, so probably still a couple of weeks away from returning. Would be nice to have him back.

I guess it is time to get a backup PG...
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#154 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:25 pm

Calf strains are no joke. And they're easy to make worse or even recur if you overdo it too soon.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#155 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:01 pm

minimus wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/timberwolves-jordan-mclaughlin-likely-weeks-away-from-playing/

I found it strange that they waived Lawson and replaced him with Ryan. Either they figured JMac injury was shorter term than it has been, or there wasn't a decent G League facilitating PG available.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,068

Post#156 » by shangrila » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:05 am

Biff Cooper wrote:
minimus wrote:

I found it strange that they waived Lawson and replaced him with Ryan. Either they figured JMac injury was shorter term than it has been, or there wasn't a decent G League facilitating PG available.

Or they figured Anderson and Rivers could take on more of the PG duties
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#157 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:36 pm

shangrila wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:
minimus wrote:

Or they figured Anderson and Rivers could take on more of the PG duties

Maybe. If true, it looked pretty dumb when Anderson went down with a 10 day injury a week later.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#158 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:42 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:Calf strains are no joke. And they're easy to make worse or even recur if you overdo it too soon.

A lot of times doesn't it cause an achilles injury after? Believe Durant and Klay had that happen.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#159 » by Guest84 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:27 pm

I think his injury is worse than initially thought. A couple of games ago, I saw him on the bench with a protective boot on. So who knows when he'll be back...
minimus
RealGM

Post#160 » by minimus » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:52 am

Read on Twitter

Well, we basically play complicated of Finch motion offense (+ pick-n-rolls) without backup PG while our starting PG has been inconsistent and prepared to be traded.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves