General Manager
And1: 3,468

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#202 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:36 pm

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It feels good to have three PGs.

Assuming we want JMAC back instead of drafting a PG, do we think he will be available at a minimum? Or do we think some other team will want to steal him away? Also do we sign him with bird rights to 4-5 million with the intent of trading him for a 2nd or two at the deadline?
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#203 » by frankenwolf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:51 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Assuming we want JMAC back instead of drafting a PG, do we think he will be available at a minimum? Or do we think some other team will want to steal him away? Also do we sign him with bird rights to 4-5 million with the intent of trading him for a 2nd or two at the deadline?

Yeah, he's shooting pretty good, but not averaging even two a game. I don't think we want to bring him back at 4 or 5 million. Some other team might take a flyer on him, but I say draft a PG and see how Clark does as the 3rd PG next year. Not that he will get a bunch of time, if everyone is healthy.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#204 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:19 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think there is a good chance he's untradable at 4-5M unless we attach a 2nd or two.

If we bring back Monte, Jordan won't get many minutes to show anything.

He's 28 years-old, is a career 35% shooter from 3 and was at 31 and 32% the past 2 years.

The 43% from 3 is nice, but its such a small sample that its likely more variance than fact. I mean if he had missed just 2 more of his 3s, he'd drop a full 5%.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#205 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Also Dane's numbers are wrong. Jordan is at 20/47 on 3s.

33/81 is his total FGAs.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,702

Post#206 » by shrink » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:37 pm

winforlose wrote:Assuming we want JMAC back instead of drafting a PG, do we think he will be available at a minimum? Or do we think some other team will want to steal him away? Also do we sign him with bird rights to 4-5 million with the intent of trading him for a 2nd or two at the deadline?

I like the way MacLaughlin plays, but his size limits him defensively, and he doesn’t have the offensive volume to be more than a third string PG for most teams, and be a vet min player.

I tend to look at the top 45 PG’s in the league as worthy of more than third string money. Yes, that means #46-60 are technically second stringers, but many teams, particularly bad ones, use their back up PG spot as a place to give run to a first round draft pick. Moreover, the PG spot is less important than ever, with many traditional PG responsibilities being taken on by great players at other positions. If you are running your offense through a SF, the most important quality for the “PG” is to have the size to be a 3-and-D player. That’s not MacLaughlin.

I like him as a third stringer and hope he wants to stay here. But his skillset fits his role, occasional spark off the bench guy to get the offense passing, but okay if he is a DNP-CD some of the time.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#207 » by m2002brian » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:01 pm

He’ll probably make a good coach someday. He seems to understand the right way to play. Even if he is physically limited.
BLUEGREENRED
winforlose
General Manager

Post#208 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:38 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:Assuming we want JMAC back instead of drafting a PG, do we think he will be available at a minimum? Or do we think some other team will want to steal him away? Also do we sign him with bird rights to 4-5 million with the intent of trading him for a 2nd or two at the deadline?

I like the way MacLaughlin plays, but his size limits him defensively, and he doesn’t have the offensive volume to be more than a third string PG for most teams, and be a vet min player.

I tend to look at the top 45 PG’s in the league as worthy of more than third string money. Yes, that means #46-60 are technically second stringers, but many teams, particularly bad ones, use their back up PG spot as a place to give run to a first round draft pick. Moreover, the PG spot is less important than ever, with many traditional PG responsibilities being taken on by great players at other positions. If you are running your offense through a SF, the most important quality for the “PG” is to have the size to be a 3-and-D player. That’s not MacLaughlin.

I like him as a third stringer and hope he wants to stay here. But his skillset fits his role, occasional spark off the bench guy to get the offense passing, but okay if he is a DNP-CD some of the time.

With the minimum approaching 3, is 4 really that far out of the realm of possibility for a 3rd string PG in their prime? I mean sure I would prefer him on a minimum (if we bring him back at all,) but a slight increase above the minimum shouldn’t make him a negative asset.

JMAC’s best positive outside of his high AST/TO is not his shooting, it’s his little ninja hustle. He usually creates 2-3 extra possessions just off the sneaky steals or extra hustle to 50/50 balls. He also has shown an ability to develop a nice two man game with guys like Naz and Dlo. I agree he is a 3rd string, but he isn’t a bad third string.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,702

Post#209 » by shrink » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:04 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:

With the minimum approaching 3, is 4 really that far out of the realm of possibility for a 3rd string PG in their prime? I mean sure I would prefer him on a minimum (if we bring him back at all,) but a slight increase above the minimum shouldn’t make him a negative asset.

JMAC’s best positive outside of his high AST/TO is not his shooting, it’s his little ninja hustle. He usually creates 2-3 extra possessions just off the sneaky steals or extra hustle to 50/50 balls. He also has shown an ability to develop a nice two man game with guys like Naz and Dlo. I agree he is a 3rd string, but he isn’t a bad third string.

The vet minimum next year is projected to be $2.1, for a player with 2 or more years experience. However, while that’s the cap hit, with five years of experience MacLaughlin will receive $2.4 (with the NBA front office paying him the extra $0.3).

Moreover, vet min exceptions are available to all 30 teams, while a deal greater than that require Bird rights, cap space, or it must come out of some exception. Also, vet min deals can be freely traded, and teams can choose to add, or not add, those salaries in to make trade mechanics work.

If MacLaughlin thinks he is worth more than the vet min, he should shop free agency. I suspect that even if he finds a team that will use cap space/exception money, he’s at the tail end of their wish list, so he should be worrying about staying in the NBA. Some decent players have had to take vet min deals when the money ran out - Dennis Schroeder is a recent example. I suspect we offer him a vet min early, and he accepts, regardless of whether Monte Morris decides to stay or not.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#210 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I like the way MacLaughlin plays, but his size limits him defensively, and he doesn’t have the offensive volume to be more than a third string PG for most teams, and be a vet min player.

The vet minimum next year is projected to be $2.1, for a player with 2 or more years experience. However, while that’s the cap hit, with five years of experience MacLaughlin will receive $2.4 (with the NBA front office paying him the extra $0.3).

Moreover, vet min exceptions are available to all 30 teams, while a deal greater than that require Bird rights, cap space, or it must come out of some exception. Also, vet min deals can be freely traded, and teams can choose to add, or not add, those salaries in to make trade mechanics work.

If MacLaughlin thinks he is worth more than the vet min, he should shop free agency. I suspect that even if he finds a team that will use cap space/exception money, he’s at the tail end of their wish list, so he should be worrying about staying in the NBA. Some decent players have had to take vet min deals when the money ran out - Dennis Schroeder is a recent example. I suspect we offer him a vet min early, and he accepts, regardless of whether Monte Morris decides to stay or not.

Mike/Ant/MCD/KAT/Rudy
Monte/NAW/Kyle/Naz
Moore/Minott/Miller/2024 1st round pick

This is my projected roster. This leaves one spot. Does JMAC get that spot, I think it depends on who we draft, and who is available for a minimum.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#211 » by shangrila » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:24 pm

If McLaughlin wants more than the minimum you let him walk
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#212 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 am

I'd love to play basketball at the NBA minimum. Of course I could only play in 15 second bursts and would need oxygen waiting for me on the sideline.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#213 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm

I'd be shocked if anyone offered J-Mac anything more than the min. He's small, physically limited, and an inconsistent/bad shooter. He's got a lot of hustle and is a strong playmaker but I don't think that's enough for a team to give him any meaningful money. Minnesota could give him slightly more than the min and I think it'd be beneficial for both parties due to the familiarity.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#214 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:40 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:I'd be shocked if anyone offered J-Mac anything more than the min. He's small, physically limited, and an inconsistent/bad shooter. He's got a lot of hustle and is a strong playmaker but I don't think that's enough for a team to give him any meaningful money. Minnesota could give him slightly more than the min and I think it'd be beneficial for both parties due to the familiarity.

Agreed. I could see the modern-day equivalent of when we signed Mark Madsen to a 5-year, $12 million contract.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,513

Post#215 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I'd be shocked if anyone offered J-Mac anything more than the min. He's small, physically limited, and an inconsistent/bad shooter. He's got a lot of hustle and is a strong playmaker but I don't think that's enough for a team to give him any meaningful money. Minnesota could give him slightly more than the min and I think it'd be beneficial for both parties due to the familiarity.

Agreed. I could see the modern-day equivalent of when we signed Mark Madsen to a 5-year, $12 million contract.

I don't think we have money left that is below the tax line and Mark Madsen could kick some butts. It's going to be NBA minimum wage.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#216 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:21 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I don't think we have money left that is below the tax line and Mark Madsen could kick some butts. It's going to be NBA minimum wage.

We have his Bird rights
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#217 » by wolves_89 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:54 pm

The problem with giving McLaughlin more than the minimum is the luxury tax. A minimum salary is projected to count at around $2.09M against the luxury tax next season (even though McLaughlin's actual salary would be $2.43M). Since the Wolves need to fill out the roster, giving McLaughlin a min deal doesn't really cost the team anything other than the roster spot. However, giving him a bump up to $3M next season would count as an extra $1M against the tax and based on where the Wolves payroll seems likely to end up that would cost between $3M and $4M in penalties. Basically giving McLaughlin even $600K over the minimum would cost the team and additional $4-5M in actual dollars.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#218 » by minimus » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:35 pm

JMac stats in last game:

17MPG, 4pts, 6rbs, 2ast, 2stl, 1blk, team high +24. He is shooting 43% from 3PT now, mostly wide open corner threes.
minimus
RealGM

Post#219 » by minimus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:39 am

Read on Twitter

I am happy to see JMac playing well again. Especially with Naz Reid
minimus
RealGM

Post#220 » by minimus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 am