ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,991

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#1081 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:36 am

Klomp wrote:I don't think I ever saw this tweet brought over here.

Read on Twitter

All of this noise about projections or Connelly's opt-out or lockouts or anything else really is just that. Noise. It comes down to whether or not Lore and Rodriguez made the final payment on time or whether it was late. That will decide whether or not the contract was breached and who will ultimately be the team majority owner(s) going forward.

Bingo!!! I've been trying to say just that. That's it in a nutshell. I think Lo/Rod will win.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#1082 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:42 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:
thinktank wrote:You two are both choosing to ignore what Dane said:

The projection is just one projection, it is non-binding, and it is not the future team salary budget.

It has zero value with regard to future speculation about our team salary.

If you don’t agree with that, than you’re just being stubborn.

Shrink, you said you messaged Dane. Did he get back to you? If yes, share it.

I definitely do not remember Dane saying “it has zero value with regard to future speculation about our team salary.” I included Dane’s quotes in my previous post.

And I think I made a pretty good case why that’s probably not true in my previous post as well. I have yet to hear anyone make the case why it is. Even if Lore and ARod have hundreds of projections (and I don’t believe they do), THIS is the one they chose to SUBMIT. One that does not cast them in a good light, with NBA owners or Timberwolves Fans. Why did they do this if it ISN’T true?

And yes, Dane got back to me, and I talked about it at the start of 4.

shrink wrote:4. I asked Dane for more information, and he said, “Sorry, I can’t elaborate too much.” Take that as you wish. Also note that he specifically stated “this is how I distill it in my head.” He is hopeful that both sides are willing to pay the lux.

Do we know for a fact that they only submitted this one?

Is it possible they submitted numerous plans all based on different variables? And maybe this was the only one that Glen leaked because it was most beneficial to him?

Yes. You're getting it. Good!
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,278

Post#1083 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:54 am

I’m only asking questions, not making assumptions.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,850

Post#1084 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:53 am

thinktank wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
thinktank wrote:
You two are both choosing to ignore what Dane said:

The projection is just one projection, it is non-binding, and it is not the future team salary budget.

It has zero value with regard to future speculation about our salary cap.

If you don’t agree with that, than you’re just being stubborn.

Shrink, you said you messaged Dane. Did he get back to you? If yes, share it.

I'm not being stubborn at all. The budget they chose to submit for the approval and lending process isn't binding, but it's what they chose to represent their vision for the Wolves future. Nothing was proven or disproven in Dane's podcast. Not one single thing.

It is NOT their vision for the Wolves future. It’s not even a “budget”, so don’t call it that. That’s why Dane said “teams create hundreds of projections”. You just ASSUME it’s their future vision.

So Evil Snakelike Glen cherry picked one out of 100s of budgets and then leaked it to Evil Snakelike Woj and Evil Snakelike Woj just accepted it like the bleating, Taylor loving sheep he is without fact checking. The diligent highly respected Dane saw through it all and gave us the correct details. As I have said. Your imagination has no boundaries.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#1085 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:08 am

KGdaBom wrote:
thinktank wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I'm not being stubborn at all. The budget they chose to submit for the approval and lending process isn't binding, but it's what they chose to represent their vision for the Wolves future. Nothing was proven or disproven in Dane's podcast. Not one single thing.

It is NOT their vision for the Wolves future. It’s not even a “budget”, so don’t call it that. That’s why Dane said “teams create hundreds of projections”. You just ASSUME it’s their future vision.

So Evil Snakelike Glen cherry picked one out of 100s of budgets and then leaked it to Evil Snakelike Woj and Evil Snakelike Woj just accepted it like the bleating, Taylor loving sheep he is without fact checking. As I have said. Your imagination has no boundaries.

Come on KGDB that post is beneath you. Please read over my posts in this matter. I spent my life in the financial business. I have friends today still in the business. I've talked to them. They have told me Lore his worth between 1.3 to 2.8 billion. They are in the business and know. Take your emotions out of this and look at it pragmatically. Put your Lo/Rod prejudices away.

It all comes down to the legalese. Don't be disappointed when Glen loses.

If you have read AND understood my past posts on this you'd know that I have supported Glen through thick and thin. Why do you think I am not supporting him now? That is a rhetorical question.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1086 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:26 am

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
thinktank wrote:

So Evil Snakelike Glen cherry picked one out of 100s of budgets and then leaked it to Evil Snakelike Woj and Evil Snakelike Woj just accepted it like the bleating, Taylor loving sheep he is without fact checking. As I have said. Your imagination has no boundaries.

Come on KGDB that post is beneath you. Please read over my posts in this matter. I spent my life in the financial business. I have friends today still in the business. I've talked to them. They have told me Lore his worth between 1.3 to 2.8 billion. They are in the business and know. Take your emotions out of this and look at it pragmatically. Put your Lo/Rod prejudices away.

If you have read AND understood my past posts on this you'd know that I have supported Glen through thick and thin. Why do you think I am not supporting him now? That is a rhetorical question.

I'm looking at this very unemotionally. If I was emotional I would be all about having A Rod own the team because he is a good looking super cool athlete. Glen is an ugly old fuddy duddy. Taking all emotion out of the equation I have seen A Rod and Lore continuously pushing every boundary regarding their purchase of the team. I have evaluated all of the analysis from you, Shrink, Hartford Whalers, BlackJackMac, ThinkTank, Klomp and when the dust settles I see the ones questioning A Rod and lore as having more credibility. No offense to your friends in the business, but I don't think they have any way of really knowing Lore's worth.
The post that you responded to has NOTHING to do with Lore's worth. It has to do with their proposed budget dropping us below the luxury tax and how ThinkTank is using his incredible imagination to believe that Dane Moore proved Woj to be Evil, Snakelike and incompetent.
I'd probably be slightly disappointed if Glen loses because I trust him more than A Rod/Lore. I will fully accept the ownership ruling whatever it is. I have 99% confidence that however long it takes the arbitration/legal process will come up with the legally correct ruling.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,744

Post#1087 » by thinktank » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:35 am

It’s not a budget.
"a poor addition to the board"
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#1088 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:40 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I'm looking at this very unemotionally. If I was emotional I would be all about having A Rod own the team because he is a good looking super cool athlete. Glen is an ugly old fuddy duddy. Taking all emotion out of the equation I have seen A Rod and Lore continuously pushing every boundary regarding their purchase of the team. I have evaluated all of the analysis from you, Shrink, Hartford Whalers, BlackJackMac, ThinkTank, Klomp and when the dust settles I see the ones questioning A Rod and lore as having more credibility. No offense to your friends in the business, but I don't think they have any way of really knowing Lore's worth.
The post that you responded to has NOTHING to do with Lore's worth. It has to do with their proposed budget dropping us below the luxury tax and how ThinkTank is using his incredible imagination to believe that Dane Moore proved Woj to be Evil, Snakelike and incompetent.
I'd probably be slightly disappointed if Glen loses because I trust him more than A Rod/Lore. I will fully accept the ownership ruling whatever it is. I have 99% confidence that however long it takes the arbitration/legal process will come up with the legally correct ruling.

I've liked your basketball takes for a long time. You're a great fan. Your responses above are very disappointing to me. You seem to be oblivious to the obvious.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1089 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:03 am

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:

I've liked your basketball takes for a long time. You're a great fan. Your responses above are very disappointing to me. You seem to be oblivious to the obvious.

I disagree with you. I'm not oblivious to anything. If I agreed with you than you would love my take. Did Dane Moore prove Woj to be Evil, Snakelike and incompetent? Yes or no? You can't have it both ways. If Dane Moore proved anything than Woj is guilty as charged. If he didn't than that's proof that I'm not oblivious to anything.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,401

Post#1090 » by younggunsmn » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:28 am

Look, I like Dane Moore's basketball takes for the most part.
But he's not one of the plugged in crowd of NBA Insiders.
He's a fan trying to turn this into a career on his own dime with a lot of hard work and sweat, which I respect and even admire quite a lot. He's carrying Lore and Arod's water on this, and he should tread carefully or find his access gone if things don't go their way.

The guys with the juice (like Woj) are dropping the bits Glen wants them to.
That should tell you a bit about where the power in this scenario really lies.
There is no objective fact or truth in Dane's podcast that you can really grasp onto that proves or disproves anything about Woj's business plan leak, which had #1, a number (171 million dollar salary projection) and #2, 3 legit sources.

If there were multiple budgets like some of you wish for, where are the counter leaks of those from Lore/Arod?
The budgets where they are paying the luxury tax don't exist.

Some of you guys are great posters, but you are falling heavily into emotional cognition on this where you just want evil uncle Glen to go away and are not willing to vet the potential new owners the way they deserve and are obsessively driven to white knight them.

Every time I hit you with a fact or number in this thread you do your best Frau Farbissina "LIES ALL LIES" impression.

Where are any of your sources for Lore's wealth that you wish for or these fabulous investments.

I'm waiting. Change my mind. I don't want to hear how he COULD be worth more or have made more.
Show me evidence. Show me just one investment he has made since he was exited from Wal Mart that has made him the about a billion dollars more that he needs to be in even the bottom 10% of NBA majority owners.

Lore put his Jet.com/Walmart money (somewhere in the range of 900 million-1 billion) into the Timberwolves (405 million so far), an electric airplane company, a ridiculous utopian city project called Telosa, and a gourmet restaurant delivery company called Wonder (reportedly 200+million initially), most of the assets of which came from a distressed company he bought called Blue Diamond which lost 95% of it's IPO value in a relatively short time period.
It sounds like an absolute money pit.

If you guys really spent your lives in the financial services industry you should understand more than most just how fast new businesses and their operating expenses absolutely burn through cash, especially in the beginning.

My first post after the news of Glen pulling the team back was "Glen Taylor gonna Glen Taylor".
I don't like Glen. But I'm not going to give Lore and Arod a free pass just because I don't like Glen.
They have bumblefawked the sale big time. Not even the biggest apologist can deny that.

Glen Taylor has done a lot of dumb things with the team, but selling to these 2 clowns on a payment plan is by far the dumbest.
The fact that the board of governors allowed Glen to do that should tell you the kind of pull he has with them.

If your team is losing money as owner or limited partner of an NBA team, there are 2 routes you can go as a shareholder
1.) Cover it with your own money, whether cash or loan.
2.) Dilute your stake as new shares are sold in the team to bring in revenue to cover the loss.

#2 is likely how Glen has financed operating the team for many years.

Lore and A Rod will not be able to do that or much of it without losing their controlling interest.
Even if the sale goes through, they are barely going to be over 50% with an equity firm coming up with half of the last 40%.

We want to keep this team together, stay competitive, we need an owner willing an able to do #1 for at least a couple years.
Tim Connelly and all of these things they were getting credit for were all done mostly with Glen's money, and the really big bills will start coming very soon.
They haven't paid a cent of luxury tax yet.

In fact, if Glen really really wants to stick it to them he can run up a huge luxury tax bill next season and make Lore and Arod pay their current 27% and 9% of it respectively.

As a thought exercise, map out best and worst possible outcomes to this scenario and where this team is at in 5 years.
For me, all of the worst possible outcomes involve Lore and Arod being successful in their bid, and that is why I'm pulling for Glen even though I don't like him.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#1091 » by thinktank » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:21 pm

“ Woj's business plan leak, which had #1, a number (171 million dollar salary projection) and #2, 3 legit sources.

If there were multiple budgets like some of you wish for, where are the counter leaks of those from Lore/Arod?
The budgets where they are paying the luxury tax don't exist.”

You also keep calling it a “budget” (and “business plan”). False. That was NOT the report.

Obviously, Lore / ARod don’t want to play Glen’s unethical, dirty leak game. They shouldn’t have to follow Glen into the mud.

“ Even if the sale goes through, they are barely going to be over 50% with an equity firm coming up with half of the last 40%.”

That’s not uncommon. Warriors, I believe. Lacob is worth 1.8 billion and his other partner 800M with six other stakes, including a venture capitalist firm. Lux tax and four championships.

And here is an article that explains how owners don’t pay player salaries themselves (revenue does). Please read it!

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/9/19/22650143/its-your-money-breaking-down-myth-of-nba-ownership-and-who-really-foots-the-bill-boston-celtics

“At the end of the day, they’re running a profitable business—one that puts money in their pockets instead of taking it out of them. So the next time you hear someone talk about an owner or a team spending money on a player, remember it’s your money they’re spending.“

Wolves revenue:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/196731/revenue-of-the-minnesota-timberwolves-since-2006/

259M last year. 271M the year before last.

Warriors lux tax bill for most recent year was 176M.

Hmmmm… how to afford the lux with revenues greater than the lux? Gee. We’ll never know. So sad that Lore and ARod don’t have the money to pay it. ;) ;) ;)

Maybe be open to all this factual/data-based context of how NBA teams are actually run and financed.

I believe Dane Moore is providing more of this context than Woj, for example. ESPN is not a great news source. They make mistakes and use spin all the time.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,775

Post#1092 » by shrink » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:06 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:And I think I made a pretty good case why that’s probably not true in my previous post as well. I have yet to hear anyone make the case why it is. Even if Lore and ARod have hundreds of projections (and I don’t believe they do), THIS is the one they chose to SUBMIT. One that does not cast them in a good light, with NBA owners or Timberwolves Fans. Why did they do this if it ISN’T true?

Is it possible they submitted numerous plans all based on different variables? And maybe this was the only one that Glen leaked because it was most beneficial to him?

And maybe Lore is hundredy hundred trillionaire, with a golden goose that lays Faberge eggs! Do we know for a fact he isn’t?

We KNOW Lore and ARod submitted THIS budget. We know that Woj reported on it. There is no evidence of multiple budgets presented, and even if there was, don’t you think Lore and ARod (or any of the 28 other owners) would leak that out?

Come on guys. Wishful thinking is one thing, but let’s not invent pretend scenarios with absolutely no evidence to make ourselves feel better. We’re supposed to be RealGM here, let’s at least deal in real.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1093 » by shrink » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:12 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I’m only asking questions, not making assumptions.

I appreciate this comment, FWIW.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#1094 » by thinktank » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:13 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:And I think I made a pretty good case why that’s probably not true in my previous post as well. I have yet to hear anyone make the case why it is. Even if Lore and ARod have hundreds of projections (and I don’t believe they do), THIS is the one they chose to SUBMIT. One that does not cast them in a good light, with NBA owners or Timberwolves Fans. Why did they do this if it ISN’T true?

And maybe Lore is hundredy hundred trillionaire, with a golden goose that lays Faberge eggs! Do we know for a fact he isn’t?

We KNOW Lore and ARod submitted THIS budget. We know that Woj reported on it. There is no evidence of multiple budgets presented, and even if there was, don’t you think Lore and ARod (or any other owner) would leak that out?

Come on guys. Wishful thinking is one thing, but let’s not invent pretend scenarios with absolutely no evidence to make ourselves feel better. We’re supposed to be RealGM here, let’s at least deal in real.

I think it’s real that Lore and ARod don’t want to get into mud-slinging. I think they may have even said something to that affect (recognizing the irony).

This won’t play out in the media.

The media doesn’t matter.

Winning the media battle accomplishes nothing.

That’s realer than real deal Holyfield copyright snoop dog.

PS. If we want to observe media, what about other non-sale-critical factors like the team’s perception? I sat almost courtside in Target seats last night (ridiculous seats) and Ant sure likes to point and have fun with ARod and Lore before, during, and after games. And remember when Ant got 50 and he proudly displayed KG on his hand? But who cares? The court of public opinion is just theatre. These things don’t have value to arbitrators.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1095 » by shrink » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:27 pm

thinktank wrote:
shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:Do we know for a fact that they only submitted this one?

We KNOW Lore and ARod submitted THIS budget. We know that Woj reported on it. There is no evidence of multiple budgets presented, and even if there was, don’t you think Lore and ARod (or any other owner) would leak that out?

I think it’s real that Lore and ARod don’t want to get into mud-slinging.

They know this won’t play out in the media.

The media doesn’t matter.

Winning the media battle accomplishes nothing.

That’s realer than real(gm) deal Holyfield.

Well, the actual reality is that Lore and ARod did lots of media rounds, with plenty of mudslinging, talking about his character. You may believe Taylor is cheating on the deal, but he was nothing but complimentary about ARod and Lore.

Moreover, the NBA Commissioner instructed both to stop public mudslinging.

Next, this leak is NEWS. WOJ and Shams have a long history of being our best sources of true information, and that doesn’t change just because people don’t like what they are saying.

Next, if there were “multiple plans submitted,” why have we heard nothing about that, after this news broke?

Finally, if Lore and ARod even have multiple plans, I still have heard no plausible theory why they would submit the plan that makes them look worst? The other NBA owners want to bring in owners that will invest in their team, and improve the overall product. That makes them money. Even the cheap owners don’t want to hear that this is Lore’s plan, because instead of them adding a big number to the pile of collected lux taxes, and increasing their checks for staying under the lux by millions, they not only won’t add, but will be another team further dividing up that lux money. This news probably costs them $5 mil each. So why submit this plan, if they have rosier ones?
thinktank
Analyst

Post#1096 » by thinktank » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:40 pm

There are cogent arguments against all your points but everybody knows we’re way past the need for walls of text now.

I think this says a lot about ethics and spin:

“Lore and Rodriguez claim Taylor has ordered team leadership to not speak with them. This includes everyone from Timberwolves CEO Ethan Casson down to the players. They’re also not allowed to enter the franchise’s designated family room and certain parts of team facilities, according to them.”

Yet the contract says the deal is in arbitration, ie at least in that sense this deal is still ALIVE.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1097 » by shrink » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:47 pm

thinktank wrote:There are cogent arguments against all your points but everybody knows we’re way past the need for walls of text now.

Yuck.

Two things really bother me about our whole discussion.

First, there is this attempt to try to place people on sides here. We’re all fans here, and we are all also probably going to be victims here together. I doubt anyone is thinking, “Great! I sure hope Taylor stays around because he’s been a fantastic owner!” And I don’t think even the biggest Taylor-haters can not be worried about two years of national reports questioning Lore’s finances and the recent plan suggesting this wonderful team will be broken up to save Lore money. Both sides are bad for us.

Second, I think there is this rush to claim whatever opinion they have is the rational one. Rational means basing your view on all the facts, not cherry-picking what you are looking for, and then creating imaginary scenarios. The frustration in my previous posts arise from this. Even if people want to make scenarios completely without evidence (which is bad enough), they also ignore that we see no expected consequences if their scenario was true.

With hundreds of Wolves fan sites, and probably more coming every day now, people can choose the flavor they want. I’ve long ago left the other rah-rah fan sites, with all their bits, for more serious RealGM, with a particular focus on GM and ownership issues. We are all Wolves fans here, trying to make sense of the news we see and here, and it’s something we should do collaboratively, not at each others’ throats.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#1098 » by thinktank » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:48 pm

Nice straw man. No one is at your throat. My goodness. When people are saying things to you like “not a good contribution to the board”, and “where can I buy your novels”, and “you’re so divorced from reality”, then come and talk to me.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#1099 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:54 pm

Klomp wrote:In unrelated but possibly related news, did anyone see that ARod's real estate company (separate of Lore) sold the Eagan apartment complex they owned back in February?

As of Thursday afternoon, a certificate of real estate value with pricing details has not been made public. Finance & Commerce reported that Monument paid $22.5 million for Lexington Hills apartments in 2016.

https://finance-commerce.com/2024/02/a-rods-group-sells-eagan-apartment-complex/

He just needed to raise some tip money.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1100 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:09 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

We KNOW Lore and ARod submitted THIS budget. We know that Woj reported on it. There is no evidence of multiple budgets presented, and even if there was, don’t you think Lore and ARod (or any of the 28 other owners) would leak that out?

Because ThinkTank is smart he has the imagination to see what isn't there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves