ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,448

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#61 » by younggunsmn » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:I hope the Wolves stay and they do expand.

This is the best scenario to keep the team here in Minnesota. Both those expansion fees could bring in 5-6 billion for the other 30 Owners to split for Seattle and Vegas. Wolves move East.

New Western Conference:
New 16 teams, 4 Divisions:

West Conference

Northwest: UTH, POR, DEN,
Seattle

Pacific: LAL, LAC, SAC, GS

South: NO, DAL, OKC, MEM

SouthWest: PHX, SAS, HOU,
Las Vegas

East Conference:

Central: MIL, CHI, DET,
Timberwolves

Atlantic: IND, CLE, TOR, WSH

South: ATL, ORL, MIA, CHA

NorthEast: NYK, BRK, PHI, BOS

I really like this idea.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,069

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#62 » by shrink » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:53 pm

I can understand your point youngguns. For anyone who doesn’t share your opinion of ARod or isn’t a big baseball fan, you can direct your backlash to me, and how I detest Kobe Bryant for his choices.

I don’t hate Glen Taylor, but he has made bad decisions on the people he has put in power, and has been too loyal, and too slow to remove them once they have been hired. Like the Rosas hiring, which he kept his hands off of, I hope this means that that the new owners get to keep him from making poor choices. I also think having ARod at a meeting with free agents would be more appealing than just meeting with Glen alone.

In the end, while we are encouraged to believe this is our team, the reality is that this is his team. He paid for it, and he can do whatever he wants with it. I feel fortunate that he has kept it in Minnesota, and that looks to remain the case. Like Windhorst recently said, “regardless of how you feel about Taylor, fans should not just thank him for saving basketball in Minnesota, but saving it EVERY SEASON in Minnesota for decades.” Taylor has wanted to sell for a long time, and there were always owners out there that would buy it, if allowed to move it. Right now, I’m grateful that he resisted all those offers, and it looks like the Wolves will stay in Minnesota for a long time.
semjazy
Junior
And1: 169

Post#63 » by semjazy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Neeva wrote:
PharmD wrote:I actually would prefer the team moving. Now-a-days its just way easier to follow a team that isn't in your blackout area.

And the city of Minneapolis could use that $50M

Well me too, because I have zero attachment to the state of Minnesota. It would be nice if this franchise was a free agent destination, for once. I want to see them win a championship within a decade.

Los Angeles Timberwolves?

but seriously, I wish you A-Rod would be a much better owner than Taylor
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,560

Post#64 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm

I don’t like that A-Rod used steroids, but I can move past it. I don’t know much about A-Rod beyond his baseball career, but the decision to use steroids isn’t unforgivable.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#65 » by Norseman79 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 pm

I don't give two shots who owns this team as long as they run it to win championships. Taylor is an incompetent basketball person, at the very least ARod is a hof caliber athlete, he understands championships and how to win them. Build it, fix it, do it right and I don't care who you are. And if you do those things and attendance or the city isn't good enough to support your investment I don't blame you for moving.
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#66 » by ClarkeW » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:13 pm

I’m cautiously optimistic about this. Maybe I’m naive, but I do think they will stick it out in Minneapolis. I am not immediately dooming them to move to Seattle, Las Vegas, etc. I think expansion will probably cover those two markets. After that, name somewhere else that makes more business sense? There may be a couple... but not many.

I also like the clout that A-Rod brings with him. That will have value with the players, I’m quite certain. Like another poster said earlier, having A-Rod in free agent meetings is going to add to the appeal of joining the Timberwolves. It doesn’t immediately make us a FA destination or anything, but it should help.

Finally, this organization desperately needs top down change in order to become championship competitive. I don’t know if this ownership group is going to be any better, but at least they have a shot. We already know what Glen Taylor’s ownership looks like, and it’s not pretty.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,793

Post#67 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:27 pm

ClarkeW wrote:I’m cautiously optimistic about this. Maybe I’m naive, but I do think they will stick it out in Minneapolis. I am not immediately dooming them to move to Seattle, Las Vegas, etc. I think expansion will probably cover those two markets. After that, name somewhere else that makes more business sense? There may be a couple... but not many.

I also like the clout that A-Rod brings with him. That will have value with the players, I’m quite certain. Like another poster said earlier, having A-Rod in free agent meetings is going to add to the appeal of joining the Timberwolves. It doesn’t immediately make us a FA destination or anything, but it should help.

Finally, this organization desperately needs top down change in order to become championship competitive. I don’t know if this ownership group is going to be any better, but at least they have a shot. We already know what Glen Taylor’s ownership looks like, and it’s not pretty.

I can’t shake the nerves of possible relocation. The only positive about Taylor’s ownership is you knew the team was staying put on long as his held the keys.

If A-Rod can bring credibility to this team and help attract a FA or two, I can figure out a way to bury my extreme hatred for the NYY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,025

Post#68 » by TheProdigy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 pm

shrink wrote:Like Windhorst recently said, “regardless of how you feel about Taylor, fans should not just thank him for saving basketball in Minnesota, but saving it EVERY SEASON in Minnesota for decades.” Taylor has wanted to sell for a long time, and there were always owners out there that would buy it, if allowed to move it. Right now, I’m grateful that he resisted all those offers, and it looks like the Wolves will stay in Minnesota for a long time.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly view GT's tenure as owner as doing a favor to the fans. He purchased the team for $90 million in 1994 and just sold it for $1.5B. Even with assumed 3% compounded annual inflation, he got 750% for what he paid for it. The ROI would be even higher than that if annual cash flow were taken into account.

Sorry but I won't be sending any thank you letters to Glen Taylor for keeping the team in Minnesota. He made a fortune on the franchise all the while leading it to the worst record in any of the major US sports!

Also, how do we know that any new owners would be so quick to move the team to a new city? Is it possible, sure. But our market size is ranked about in the middle for NBA teams. Part of the reason our fan engagement has been low is because of the terrible decisions GT has made over the years. Target Center was rocking when we actually had good product on the floor during KG's prime.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,220

Post#69 » by Neeva » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Taylor deserves no praise,easily the worst owner in the league for so long.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#70 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:I can’t shake the nerves of possible relocation. The only positive about Taylor’s ownership is you knew the team was staying put on long as his held the keys.

You really have nothing to worry about. Expansion is happening. Relocation is not a topic the league is entertaining.

As I have previously mentioned, Seattle has a group of investors with no plans to try & relocate a team (Expansion only). Both A-Rod & Marc Lore have no ties whatsoever to what's happening in Seattle.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,560

Post#71 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Neeva wrote:Taylor deserves no praise,easily the worst owner in the league for so long.

If you don’t care if the team is in Minnesota sure, but you do, then he does. At the very least he saved them from moving back in ‘94.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,793

Post#72 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:34 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
shrink wrote:Like Windhorst recently said, “regardless of how you feel about Taylor, fans should not just thank him for saving basketball in Minnesota, but saving it EVERY SEASON in Minnesota for decades.” Taylor has wanted to sell for a long time, and there were always owners out there that would buy it, if allowed to move it. Right now, I’m grateful that he resisted all those offers, and it looks like the Wolves will stay in Minnesota for a long time.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly view GT's tenure as owner as doing a favor to the fans. He purchased the team for $90 million in 1994 and just sold it for $1.5B. Even with assumed 3% compounded annual inflation, he got 750% for what he paid for it. The ROI would be even higher than that if annual cash flow were taken into account.

Sorry but I won't be sending any thank you letters to Glen Taylor for keeping the team in Minnesota. He made a fortune on the franchise all the while leading it to the worst record in any of the major US sports!

Also, how do we know that any new owners would be so quick to move the team to a new city? Is it possible, sure. But our market size is ranked about in the middle for NBA teams. Part of the reason our fan engagement has been low is because of the terrible decisions GT has made over the years. Target Center was rocking when we actually had good product on the floor during KG's prime.

You’re probably too young to know this but if Taylor didn’t stand up and buy the team, none of us would’ve had any thing to complain about the last 27 years because the Wolves were as good as gone. Since saving the franchise...not so much.

Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,025

Post#73 » by TheProdigy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

You’re probably too young to know this but if Taylor didn’t stand up and buy the team, none of us would’ve had any thing to complain about the last 27 years because the Wolves were as good as gone. Since saving the franchise...not so much.

I was too young to understand what was happening at the time, but I've read through some archives. Apparently there was a $153M offer that was rejected by the NBA. That deal would have moved the team to New Orleans. This paved the way for Glen Taylor to buy the team for a discount at $90M. We should really be thanking the NBA for wanting to keep the team in Minnesota. Seeing as how much the team is worth today, GT should also be thankful for the NBA stepping in the way of the original offer to move the team to New Orleans.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,668

Post#75 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Wish it was the Wilfs but oh well, not sure what the future holds, hope we can enjoy the team for at least the next few years with some good seasons.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#76 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:15 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Alex Rodriguez can bring "sex appeal to the organization and city"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,814

Post#77 » by RiRuHoops » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 am

Meh, I'd prefer it to be Jennifer Lopez and that other partner. More sex appeal by a long shot.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,198

Post#78 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 am

Underrated.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,380

Post#79 » by Domejandro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:41 pm

Klomp wrote:Underrated.

Read on Twitter

Funny thing is that the primary owner of the Timberwolves moving forward is a guy who made his fortune through Walmart. :lol:
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,135

Post#80 » by m2002brian » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 pm

I’ve read a lot of comments relating to not being happy with the people (ARod) involved in this deal.

This strikes me a pretty silly.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

We, collectively, have been begging for years for new ownership. Now that it’s on our doorstep it’s not good enough?

We aren’t moving, we can’t get any worse. So let’s all cheer up and put our positivity caps on and maybe this could be the beginning of better days ahead.
BLUEGREENRED

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves