ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#221 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

It looks like the team hasn't been sold.
At this point in time Taylor's stand appears accurate, but for the sale to be completed Taylor or the new buyers are responsible to fulfill Orbach's stand.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#222 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:59 pm

shrink wrote:So I never really understood this hatred Kevin Garnett has for Glen Taylor. I knew they’d exchanged barbs, but it seemed like Kevin’s were always a lot more pointed. I had heard a rumor that KG felt he had made the Wolves a legitimate franchise, so he should be able to buy the franchise at it’s price tag before he got here. Also, Taylor had written checks and made KG the biggest salaried player at one point, and made the franchise around him. I always thought at the end of the day, they’d make nice, and Taylor could honor KG by hanging his jersey in the rafters.

The other day, I was listening to Doogie’s podcast, and one of KG’s teammates made it all clear to me. Remember KG’s final season before the Boston trade? As usual for this time of year, the team was doing poorly. We hadn’t traded for an aging Iverson for another grasp at relevancy, and we were near the end of a losing season and being accused of tanking. Garnett pulled himself for the final five games, saying he had a quad injury.

When questioned on the tanking, Taylor said that he didn’t agree with tanking, McHale and Wittman don’t believe it, and the players wanted to play out the season. “It was more like, I’d say, K.G. tanked it. I think the other guys still wanted to play, but it sure changed the team and didn’t make us as (good).”

Okay, that is a tone deaf thing to say about any player. But imagine hearing it if your Kevin Garnett? He took such pride in how hard he worked, in games, in practices, etc. For an emotional guy like Garnett to have someone say this about him publicly is like sticking a knife right in his heart - a bullseye that would hurt him most.

Now, I don’t think Taylor was right, and I don’t agree with all the things Garnett has said and done since then. But finally, I understand it.

One thing Taylor has been is a little loose with the lips. He says what comes to him without really thinking about it. The KG thing is one example, so too is what he said about Love at the state fair many years ago. He is truly a senior citizen who doesn't really care about what he says.

This is where I put some of his latest comments, such as "there may never be a sale" or even the stuff about keeping the team in Minnesota. Just because he said he believes the team won't be moved doesn't mean it has to be written into the contract. And just because it isn't in the contract doesn't mean the team is destined to be relocated.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#223 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:18 pm

This man is senile...

I hate how he gets defended in local news (yeah I get it, he owns the local news) but ffs.. has accomplished nothing for this franchise.

Sent from my SM-G991B using RealGM mobile app
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#224 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:15 am

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:So I never really understood this hatred Kevin Garnett has for Glen Taylor. I knew they’d exchanged barbs, but it seemed like Kevin’s were always a lot more pointed. I had heard a rumor that KG felt he had made the Wolves a legitimate franchise, so he should be able to buy the franchise at it’s price tag before he got here. Also, Taylor had written checks and made KG the biggest salaried player at one point, and made the franchise around him. I always thought at the end of the day, they’d make nice, and Taylor could honor KG by hanging his jersey in the rafters.

The other day, I was listening to Doogie’s podcast, and one of KG’s teammates made it all clear to me. Remember KG’s final season before the Boston trade? As usual for this time of year, the team was doing poorly. We hadn’t traded for an aging Iverson for another grasp at relevancy, and we were near the end of a losing season and being accused of tanking. Garnett pulled himself for the final five games, saying he had a quad injury.

When questioned on the tanking, Taylor said that he didn’t agree with tanking, McHale and Wittman don’t believe it, and the players wanted to play out the season. “It was more like, I’d say, K.G. tanked it. I think the other guys still wanted to play, but it sure changed the team and didn’t make us as (good).”

Okay, that is a tone deaf thing to say about any player. But imagine hearing it if your Kevin Garnett? He took such pride in how hard he worked, in games, in practices, etc. For an emotional guy like Garnett to have someone say this about him publicly is like sticking a knife right in his heart - a bullseye that would hurt him most.

Now, I don’t think Taylor was right, and I don’t agree with all the things Garnett has said and done since then. But finally, I understand it.

One thing Taylor has been is a little loose with the lips. He says what comes to him without really thinking about it. The KG thing is one example, so too is what he said about Love at the state fair many years ago. He is truly a senior citizen who doesn't really care about what he says.

This is where I put some of his latest comments, such as "there may never be a sale" or even the stuff about keeping the team in Minnesota. Just because he said he believes the team won't be moved doesn't mean it has to be written into the contract. And just because it isn't in the contract doesn't mean the team is destined to be relocated.

That Taylor quote has been taken completely out of context. It was part of a legal argument!

Yes the team is in the process of being sold. You can say it's being sold on installments. They have reached an agreement where the 1st 250 million is to be paid as early as this July with additional payments in 2022 and completed in 2023. At that time they take full ownership control. So technically no complete sale has been made until 2023. Then the limited partners will get their money.

i could be wrong but I don't know that Glen spoke the words "there is no sale". It was part of a legal argument that the writer published taken out of context that has everybody thinking the team hasn't been sold. It's a long complicated process. The team is being in the process of being sold [people! Don't get your undies in a bunch!

Instead of ripping Taylor you all should be thanking the guy for keeping the team here back in 1995 and doing everything he humanly can to keep our team here today.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#225 » by younggunsmn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:37 am

Read on Twitter

Taylor's entire argument resides in his assertion that there has not been a "control sale" and, i quote, "never may be a sale".
This argument is ridiculus if he has entered into a purchase agreement, no matter how long the purchase takes or however it is structured. If Taylor has agreed, in writing, to sell a controlling interest, he is dead in the water.
If he hasn't, this is all just theater, and he will face the same exact lawsuit whenever he does.

Lore and Rodriguez only want to buy out Taylor's shares, which will be enough to give them full control.
And Taylor is pulling his best weasel routine trying to help them do it.
There are 11 limited partners who all will have the right to liquidate their shares, raising the purchase price of the team another 400-500 milion or more depending on what those shares add up to.
I have no idea why Lore would allow Taylor at his age to string along a sale 2-3 years, its extremely bad business.
If he croaks you have huge tax issues and its left to the widow and kid.

I expect Orbach gets vindicated in court and the sale either happens quickly or they pull out altogether.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#226 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pm

I will not thank him.
I would rather the team move state than to watch it suffer like he has managed to do.
Head out of the sand.
He is a terrible owner.
Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:

That Taylor quote has been taken completely out of context. It was part of a legal argument!

Yes the team is in the process of being sold. You can say it's being sold on installments. They have reached an agreement where the 1st 250 million is to be paid as early as this July with additional payments in 2022 and completed in 2023. At that time they take full ownership control. So technically no complete sale has been made until 2023. Then the limited partners will get their money.

i could be wrong but I don't know that Glen spoke the words "there is no sale". It was part of a legal argument that the writer published taken out of context that has everybody thinking the team hasn't been sold. It's a long complicated process. The team is being in the process of being sold [people! Don't get your undies in a bunch!

Instead of ripping Taylor you all should be thanking the guy for keeping the team here back in 1995 and doing everything he humanly can to keep our team here today.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:20 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Taylor's entire argument resides in his assertion that there has not been a "control sale" and, i quote, "never may be a sale".
This argument is ridiculus if he has entered into a purchase agreement, no matter how long the purchase takes or however it is structured. If Taylor has agreed, in writing, to sell a controlling interest, he is dead in the water.
If he hasn't, this is all just theater, and he will face the same exact lawsuit whenever he does.

Lore and Rodriguez only want to buy out Taylor's shares, which will be enough to give them full control.
And Taylor is pulling his best weasel routine trying to help them do it.
There are 11 limited partners who all will have the right to liquidate their shares, raising the purchase price of the team another 400-500 milion or more depending on what those shares add up to.
I have no idea why Lore would allow Taylor at his age to string along a sale 2-3 years, its extremely bad business.
If he croaks you have huge tax issues and its left to the widow and kid.

I expect Orbach gets vindicated in court and the sale either happens quickly or they pull out altogether.

The current deal is only for part of Taylor's share, not all of it. The fact that they are in writing as "options" dow the road to increase the share I believe gives Taylor the right to not have to buy out Orbach yet. That is just my interpretation though.

Bad optics is nothing new for Taylor and it has never really bothered him. It's just not a filter he has. Like it or not, it's who he is as a businessman.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,004

Post#228 » by Domejandro » Thu Jul 1, 2021 3:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#229 » by MarxyLebronist » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:28 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This is such a relief. Was getting depressing here for a while.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 1, 2021 5:34 pm

Read on Twitter

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#231 » by shangrila » Thu Jul 1, 2021 10:18 pm

Sweet.

I'm sure Glen did something legally grey here but I don't care. Bring in new ownership.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#232 » by Nick K » Fri Jul 2, 2021 3:07 am

Domejandro wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

No surprise whatsoever!

Orbach is a vengeful dick.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#234 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:53 pm

Is it the 20% as originally reported?

I would have thought Lore and A Rod would have more cash..
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:09 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Is it the 20% as originally reported?

Yes it's 20%

Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#236 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:33 pm

I haven't been following this. Are they just paying 20% of the team value now with the rights to buy more over the next two years?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#237 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:I haven't been following this. Are they just paying 20% of the team value now with the rights to buy more over the next two years?

20% now ($250 million)
20% option on or before Dec. 31, 2022
40% option on or before Dec. 31, 2023

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#238 » by Worm Guts » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:39 pm

Forget about Seattle, the real relocation threat is Telosa:
https://us.cnn.com/style/article/telosa-marc-lore-blake-ingels-new-city/index.html

I'm just kidding about the relocation bit, but I thought this was something interesting about our new owner.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:35 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves