ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#541 » by Nick K » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:38 am

younggunsmn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think Lore and A Rod can get an injunction against being barred while the issues are being resolved. If I were a judge I would side with them on that.

Locking them out is the right move.

Possession is 9/10 of the law and right now Glen has possession.

The last thing this team needs is for this crap to play out in public on the floor of the arena.

You can't be serious. They own 40% of the team and they have been respectful to Taylor. This is a rank, childish, classless move and it will backfire on Taylor. There is no need for it.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#542 » by younggunsmn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:40 am

Nick K wrote:I think your financial facts on LO/ROD are faulty. They have plenty of money to run this franchise. Plus they have additional financial backing from their recently acquired limited partner. In fact they say they will break even on the team this year and turn a small profit next year.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353927&start=1100#p112123292

Read the take from Hartford Whalers.
Lore not wealthy, a lot of leverage tied up in other investments to like Wondery.
Bulk of "limited partner" investment could be in fact not investment in team but a leveraged high interest loan, and that is likely part of what derailed the Carlyle Group investment.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#543 » by younggunsmn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:50 am

Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think Lore and A Rod can get an injunction against being barred while the issues are being resolved. If I were a judge I would side with them on that.

The last thing this team needs is for this crap to play out in public on the floor of the arena.

You can't be serious. They own 40% of the team and they have been respectful to Taylor. This is a rank, childish, classless move and it will backfire on Taylor. There is no need for it.

They are also pursuing litigation.
It would be foolish from a legal perspective to give them any kind of access to the team.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#544 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:52 am

younggunsmn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think Lore and A Rod can get an injunction against being barred while the issues are being resolved. If I were a judge I would side with them on that.

As more information is coming to light I'm getting more confused. I agree that locking them out is Glen's best move, but IF A Rod and Lore have a decent case they should be able to get an injunction.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#545 » by Klomp » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:04 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

It would be foolish from a legal perspective to give them any kind of access to the team.

The litigation was a reponse to Taylor's actions, not the other way around.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,024

Post#546 » by Domejandro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:37 am

shrink wrote:Arod and Lore on Dane’s podcast.

Lots of character assassination, which some will like.

So much spin right now, from both sides probably.

1. “We gave Carlyle time but we had to walk out on them.” All sources have said Carlyle bailed.

2. Said they were rich enough to just buy the team, but Glen wanted two years to mentor

3. Hard to believe anyone at Lore’s level “has never been sued, and never sued anyone”

4. When asked about not being around, revealed a supposed conversation where Wolves President asked them to back off a little, so Glen could feel in charge. That’s going to be an uncomfortable conversation tomorrow!

Also, desperate to say, “Taylor is doing this to you, the fans!” I’m curious if you asked both sides, “for the sake of the fans, would you step back?” neither would agree. Rich people fighting over their toy.

Listen for yourself. I think it will likely reinforce whatever you previously thought.

I have spent the time to listen to the videos. I agree with their strategy of pandering to fans, it is the right move from their perspective, but it's a bit disappointing that people can't identify obvious horse ****. :lol:

Ultimately, it will come down to contract phrasing (we genuinely do not know who is in the right until it is litigated, the Dan4Bowling guy is being a goofball, respectfully), but throughout the interviews, the two are not giving honest information.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,493

Post#547 » by guest81 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:40 am

Domejandro wrote:
shrink wrote:Arod and Lore on Dane’s podcast.

Lots of character assassination, which some will like.

So much spin right now, from both sides probably.

1. “We gave Carlyle time but we had to walk out on them.” All sources have said Carlyle bailed.

2. Said they were rich enough to just buy the team, but Glen wanted two years to mentor

3. Hard to believe anyone at Lore’s level “has never been sued, and never sued anyone”

4. When asked about not being around, revealed a supposed conversation where Wolves President asked them to back off a little, so Glen could feel in charge. That’s going to be an uncomfortable conversation tomorrow!

Also, desperate to say, “Taylor is doing this to you, the fans!” I’m curious if you asked both sides, “for the sake of the fans, would you step back?” neither would agree. Rich people fighting over their toy.

Listen for yourself. I think it will likely reinforce whatever you previously thought.

I have spent the time to listen to the videos. I agree with their strategy of pandering to fans, it is the right move from their perspective, but it's a bit disappointing that people can't identify obvious horse ****. :lol:

Ultimately, it will come down to contract phrasing (we genuinely do not know who is in the right until it is litigated, the Dan4Bowling guy is being a goofball, respectfully), but throughout the interviews, the two are not giving honest information.

Arod definitely comes off like an doofus but I think Lore is clearly the smartest person in this deal
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,746

Post#548 » by shrink » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:45 am

I only caught the end of it hours later, and the quote that might come back to haunt ARod has nothing to do with ownership. It was like: “I’ve played at Yankee Stadium, but Target Center has better fans!” I hope NY media doesn’t pick that one up! :lol:
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,522

Post#549 » by TimberKat » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:54 am

shrink wrote:I only caught the end of it hours later, and the quote that might come back to haunt ARod has nothing to do with ownership. It was like: “I’ve played at Yankee Stadium, but Target Center has better fans!” I hope NY media doesn’t pick that one up! :lol:

We don't throw garbage on the court at Target center and we don't boo ARod so yes. :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#550 » by Klomp » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:11 am

shrink wrote:I only caught the end of it hours later, and the quote that might come back to haunt ARod has nothing to do with ownership. It was like: “I’ve played at Yankee Stadium, but Target Center has better fans!” I hope NY media doesn’t pick that one up! :lol:

It's probably more because it's a smaller field surface with a roof on the place. Amplifies the noise like crazy!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#551 » by younggunsmn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 am

Klomp wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:

The litigation was a reponse to Taylor's actions, not the other way around.

Litigation is litigation.
The second litigation or threat of litigation enters the fray, you best start covering your ass.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#552 » by Nick K » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:15 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:I think your financial facts on LO/ROD are faulty. They have plenty of money to run this franchise. Plus they have additional financial backing from their recently acquired limited partner. In fact they say they will break even on the team this year and turn a small profit next year.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353927&start=1100#p112123292

Lore not wealthy, a lot of leverage tied up in other investments to like Wondery.
Bulk of "limited partner" investment could be in fact not investment in team but a leveraged high interest loan, and that is likely part of what derailed the Carlyle Group investment.

This guy gets some things right but misses the mark on many others. He writes in a convincing way but is loose with the facts. Much of it is sheer guess work. I can see why one could fall for it.

Glen Taylor will lose this appeal in my opinion.

To say these guys are not wealthy is preposterous to begin with. If this guy knew what he was talking about he should have said at minimum that they are not liquid. Lore is worth 4 billion according to Forbes. Sure his money is tied up because that's what rich guys do. There money is always working. Watch the Youtube interview as they explain it all. Don't miss this.

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#553 » by younggunsmn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:16 am

TimberKat wrote:

We don't throw garbage on the court at Target center and we don't boo ARod so yes. :lol:

I was on hand at the Metrodome the night Twins fans were tossing batteries at Chuck Knoblauch, and I will boo ARod until the day I leave this earth, regardless if he ever becomes Timberwolves owner.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#554 » by younggunsmn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:20 am

Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

This guy gets some things right but misses the mark on many others. He writes in a convincing way but is loose with the facts. Much of it is sheer guess work. I can see why one could fall for it.

To say these guys are not wealthy is preposterous to begin with. If this guy knew what he was talking about he should have said at minimum that they are not liquid. Lore is worth 4 billion according to Forbes. Sure his money is tied up because that's what rich guys do. There money is always working. Watch the Youtube interview as they explain it all. Don't miss this.

If they had the money to own an NBA team they wouldn't be asking hedge funds to come up with money for 20% of the team.
Compared to you and me they are extremely wealthy.
They don't have the money to own an NBA team.
Lore is already leveraged a lot in many of his other ventures.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#555 » by Nick K » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:23 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

Quite on the contrary. Nonsense. They still own 40% of the team. It does nothing but create ill will. It's a cheap classless stunt. Litigation is what it is. They have no other option. They believe they have met all of the requirements. I believe them too.

Watch the youtube video of the Dane Moore podcast where Lore and Arod lay it all out there and Glen's possible motivations.

I always defended Glen for all these years through the hate. Now I've lost all respect for him.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#556 » by Nick K » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:30 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

If they had the money to own an NBA team they wouldn't be asking hedge funds to come up with money for 20% of the team.

Younggunsmn, you seem to be a good guy and a fervent Wolves fan but you just don't get it. If you knew business finance even a little you would understand why they are bringing in partners. That's the way Glen bought the team in the first place!!
I spent my entire life in the financial business and totally understand what they are doing with their money and why they are not putting up only cash. Watch the youtube video and they will explain it to you.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#557 » by Nick K » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:43 am

KGdaBom wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think Lore and A Rod can get an injunction against being barred while the issues are being resolved. If I were a judge I would side with them on that.

As more information is coming to light I'm getting more confused. I agree that locking them out is Glen's best move, but IF A Rod and Lore have a decent case they should be able to get an injunction.

Respectfully, it's Glen's worst move. In every way.

Glen didn't have to welsh on a deal. He didn't have to do this. Now if Lo/Rod win the appeal and gain the majority what do you think they will do to Glen? Whatever it is I'll join them when they cut the head off of the "snake". I thought Glen was better then that. Now I find out he has a history of these kind of dirty double dealings. I had no idea.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#558 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 am

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

Respectfully, it's Glen's worst move. In every way.

Glen didn't have to welsh on a deal. He didn't have to do this. Now if Lo/Rod win the appeal and gain the majority what do you think they will do to Glen? Whatever it is I'll join them when they cut the head off of the "snake". I thought Glen was better then that. Now I find out he has a history of these kind of dirty double dealings. I had no idea.

As far as I can tell right now Glen did not welsh on a deal. A Rod and Lore have been pulling stunts like missing deadlines and begging for money this whole time. Maybe they should be given an extension and Glen was wrong about that. I don't know, but no way will the NBA approve this latest financing maneuver. It might just be delaying the inevitable.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#559 » by younggunsmn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 am

Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:

Younggunsmn, you seem to be a good guy and a fervent Wolves fan but you just don't get it. If you knew business finance even a little you would understand why they are bringing in partners. That's the way Glen bought the team in the first place!!
I spent my entire life in the financial business and totally understand what they are doing with their money and why they are not putting up only cash. Watch the youtube video and they will explain it to you.

The first 40% they only had investors for 10% of it (4% total stake).
The 2nd 40% they are going to a hedge fund for 50% of the money.

I get that they want a majority stake for as little as possible (50%+1), but going to a hedge fund for that much money just doesnt happen in the NBA.

With their call option appreciating so much (1.5 bil evaluation vs 2.5 billion), and likely to appreciate further in the future, you would think they would want to hold as much of that 2nd 40% as possible.

Bottom line, if they had the money, and the financing was not suspect, this would have all gone through a long time ago.
Them missing their deadline is not Glen's fault.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#560 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:56 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Nick K wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

The first 40% they only had investors for 10% of it (4% total stake).
The 2nd 40% they are going to a hedge fund for 50% of the money.

I get that they want a majority stake for as little as possible (50%+1), but going to a hedge fund for that much money just doesnt happen in the NBA.

With their call option appreciating so much (1.5 bil evaluation vs 2.5 billion), and likely to appreciate further in the future, you would think they would want to hold as much of that 2nd 40% as possible.

Bottom line, if they had the money, and the financing was not suspect, this would have all gone through a long time ago.
Them missing their deadline is not Glen's fault.

Interesting point about they should want to bring in as little investors as possible because they're buying the Wolves at a huge discount. I heard they were selling shares at much more than they paid though.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves