ImageImageImage

The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread 

Post#1 » by shrink » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:02 pm

[I didn’t see a thread for this, and it seems like he should be heavily discussed. I find things about him I want to post and needed a place to put them. Mods, feel free to move this thread, if it doesn’t fit.]

https://hoopshabit.com/2021/06/29/nba-draft-lamelo-ball-2020-redraft/6/

Here’s a 2020 re-draft. Edwards went 3rd. But McDaniels went 5th

EDIT

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM

Re: Jaden McDaniels thread 

Post#2 » by shrink » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:04 pm

Here’s yesterday’s quote from Darren Wolfson’s podcast

Jaden McDaniels - he’s a guy that the Wolves are incredibly excited about - Chris Finch had a lunch the other day with some season ticket holders, I’m told he was gushing about McDaniels.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#3 » by Mattya » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:32 pm

Last time I was this confident in a swing for the fences type prospect was LaVine. The team hasn’t even expanded his role beyond hand offs, and moving off the ball. We have seen the defense, floor spacing and moving off the ball, but we know he also has some potential to dribble. With his attitude as he gets stronger he is going to be a menace.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,406

Post#4 » by Calinks » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:45 pm

I don't know about him going number 5 but he is really damn good. Love that we got him.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:03 am

I disagree with the real life Pastor and NBA-fan who wrote the re-draft cited above. Here's another re-draft where McDaniel's doesn't sniff the lottery (which seems more accurate to me):

https://sports.yahoo.com/redrafting-the-2020-nba-lottery-tyrese-haliburton-makes-dramatic-climb-170949609.html

Personally I think Jaden's become the most over rated Wolves player in a long time on this board. He had a 8.94 PER (barely ahead of Culver for second worst on the team and worse than Culver's PER last year) and averaged less than 7 and 4 as a rookie in 24 minutes. His PER is bottom 10% in the entire league. He had his flashes (and who doesn't?) but many games he was invisible on the offensive end. I think the love on here is just a case of him coming in with zero expectations. If he was actually drafted #5 we would be calling him a bust.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#6 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 am

Mattya wrote:Last time I was this confident in a swing for the fences type prospect was LaVine. The team hasn’t even expanded his role beyond hand offs, and moving off the ball. We have seen the defense, floor spacing and moving off the ball, but we know he also has some potential to dribble. With his attitude as he gets stronger he is going to be a menace.

This seems like a bizarre comparison to me. McDaniel's was drafted 28 in a bad draft.

shrink
RealGM

Post#7 » by shrink » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:18 am

Krapinsky wrote:I disagree with the real life Pastor and NBA-fan who wrote the re-draft cited above. Here's another re-draft where McDaniel's doesn't sniff the lottery (which seems more accurate to me):

https://sports.yahoo.com/redrafting-the-2020-nba-lottery-tyrese-haliburton-makes-dramatic-climb-170949609.html

Personally I think Jaden's become the most over rated Wolves player in a long time on this board. He had a 8.94 PER (barely ahead of Culver for second worst on the team and worse than Culver's PER last year) and averaged less than 7 and 4 as a rookie in 24 minutes. His PER is bottom 10% in the entire league. He had his flashes (and who doesn't?) but many games he was invisible on the offensive end. I think the love on here is just a case of him coming in with zero expectations. If he was actually drafted #5 we would be calling him a bust.

You would think pastors would give some credit to the pastor’s kid, McDaniels.

ESPN’s draft guru, Schmitz did a redraft as well, and put him inside the lottery.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,406

Post#8 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:19 am

Krapinsky wrote:I disagree with the real life Pastor and NBA-fan who wrote the re-draft cited above. Here's another re-draft where McDaniel's doesn't sniff the lottery (which seems more accurate to me):

I'm more in line with this kind of thinking. I think he could be argued for like 8-16 but yea I wouldn't say he is top 5. He has a TON of potential but he isn't a sure fire stud of a player either. I'm excited to see more but he could just be a lifelong role guy who can provide some defense and energy or he could develop into a legit star player. Going to be excited to see him in summer league.

I'm very curious to see how they try to develop him on the offensive end.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#9 » by digitaldropoff » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:32 am

How is McDaniels overrated when he was a guy that most people didn't think would play outside of the Gleague? His body wasn't even close to ready, and he still jumped off the screen. His numbers weren't great, but you could tell he was out there, even more so when he started to get some consistent burn. He was arguably a top ten talent last year coming out, his play just didn't warrant it as he was a foul monster and again, had lots of work on his body....but his upside is tremendous. For all the people bitching about needing defense, Jaden McDaniels is easily our closest thing to a savior in that regard. That's not over rating, that's reality.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#10 » by Note30 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:55 am

I think McDaniels isn't going to be star but he is probably going to be a really solid starter if he continues his current trajectory. That being said he still doesn't match the hype. He's not overrated, more just, there's way too many high expectations on the kid.

If he can play great help defense and provide shot blocking while being able to guards 2-4's he's going to be the glue we need to finally have a strong defensive identity. But it is a lot to put on a kid.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 695

Post#11 » by karch34 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 am

Poku higher than Quickley and ignoring McDaniels altogether isn’t the redraft I’d put a lot of weight behind but to each their own. McDaniels doesn’t cost much, doesn’t need to have high usage to be engaged and makes smart plays for a kid his age. I don’t think he’s untouchable but I’m definitely with the Ringer crew that thinks he might be the guy that makes our D work without being a negative on O.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#12 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 am

At this point you have to throw adv stats all out the window. Especially with a Wolves team playing without it's 2 best players and a bad coach most of the year.

I see every game. If I miss 1-2 that might be it. McD was the best defender on the team last year as a rookie. He played out of position at the 4 and was terrific. The final 10 games or so he went to SF and you could just see him come into his own. Playing with the starters he was hitting 3's and driving to the basket.

The guy has freak basketball talent on both ends. You will all see in due time. I predict he will easily be our SF of the future.

Why are the coaches so high on him? Because they see what he can do every day.

Judging McD on adv stats at this point is wholly misguided.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#13 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:22 am

Mattya wrote:Last time I was this confident in a swing for the fences type prospect was LaVine. The team hasn’t even expanded his role beyond hand offs, and moving off the ball. We have seen the defense, floor spacing and moving off the ball, but we know he also has some potential to dribble. With his attitude as he gets stronger he is going to be a menace.

I could not agree more and I felt the same way about Levine. I had my fingers crossed that Flip would take him and he actually did!

Give McD 2-3 years and he will be fan favorite. Prototype SF. He can slide over too when needed.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#14 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:16 am

digitaldropoff wrote:How is McDaniels overrated when he was a guy that most people didn't think would play outside of the Gleague? His body wasn't even close to ready, and he still jumped off the screen. His numbers weren't great, but you could tell he was out there, even more so when he started to get some consistent burn. He was arguably a top ten talent last year coming out, his play just didn't warrant it as he was a foul monster and again, had lots of work on his body....but his upside is tremendous. For all the people bitching about needing defense, Jaden McDaniels is easily our closest thing to a savior in that regard. That's not over rating, that's reality.

How is he overrated? Take a look at the trade board, some posters on here consider him borderline untouchable, which is ridiculous. They see see Ben Simmon’s shrinking in the playoffs yet can’t see how McDaniels scores less than 3 points every other game he plays and somehow that doesn’t matter.

McDaniels is found money and I get that— it’s exciting to pull a $20 bill out of that old denim coat you haven’t worn in a year but let’s not pretend for a minute it’s gold plated.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#15 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 am

shrink wrote:Here’s yesterday’s quote from Darren Wolfson’s podcast

Jaden McDaniels - he’s a guy that the Wolves are incredibly excited about - Chris Finch had a lunch the other day with some season ticket holders, I’m told he was gushing about McDaniels.

Wolfson uses the word ‘gushing’ all the time in his reports, but found this one a bit comical given the context of it being in a literal sales pitch to season ticket holders. I’m sure he also gushed about the bargain priced stadium fare hotdogs : )

Mattya
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mattya » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:21 am

Krapinsky wrote:

This seems like a bizarre comparison to me. McDaniel's was drafted 28 in a bad draft.

I make the comparison because even tho LaVine was a late lotto pick he was viewed as a high bust probability and very few people thought he would be anything after his first year where he was playing a lot of Pg. How many people thought he was just Gerald Green at the time. Now he is one of the best shooting guards in the league.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mattya » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:24 am

Calinks wrote:

I'm more in line with this kind of thinking. I think he could be argued for like 8-16 but yea I wouldn't say he is top 5. He has a TON of potential but he isn't a sure fire stud of a player either. I'm excited to see more but he could just be a lifelong role guy who can provide some defense and energy or he could develop into a legit star player. Going to be excited to see him in summer league.

I'm very curious to see how they try to develop him on the offensive end.

I’m not saying he will be a star player either, but the guy has shown the potential to be an elite 3 and D forward.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,166

Post#18 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:59 pm

That site gives me a reason to hate on Ball more everyday.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#19 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 pm

I think it's also important to point out that McDaniels played out of position almost his entire rookie season. He's way too small, especially as a rookie, to play power forward. He's a three. He only played small forward 22 percent of the time and when he did he looked a lot better - just look at the Dallas game to end the season.

Hopefully, Minnesota can pick up a solid PF this offseason and we can get a good look at Jaden at the 3 this year. I'm confident he will look a lot better on offense and even defense.
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:33 pm

It’s true that, like most rookies, his overall game did not lead to wins. However, when I look at any rookie, I just want to see some flashes. McDaniels was a firework show his first year!

He has elite length and athleticism, to be an elite player at the most valuable position in the NBA right now - the 3-and-D big wing.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves