ImageImageImage

The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Re: The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread 

Post#841 » by minimus » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:02 am

winforlose wrote:The key for Jaden is consistency and finding more opportunities within his role.

I just hope he does not do dumb things (technical fouls, flagrant fouls etc) and stays on the floor enough to be part of offense and defense movement. I really think he is talented and skilled enough to be 15-20 ppg scorer in current NBA.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,495

Post#842 » by TimberKat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:37 am

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:The key for Jaden is consistency and finding more opportunities within his role.

I just hope he does not do dumb things (technical fouls, flagrant fouls etc) and stays on the floor enough to be part of offense and defense movement. I really think he is talented and skilled enough to be 15-20 ppg scorer in current NBA.

I just hope we can trade him in the off season to get an upgrade like Dejounte Murray
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#843 » by cmoss84 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:47 am

I really think he shines in a few years. 22. If we get a great deal for him, sure. But I'd wait and ride this one out.
cmoss84
Junior

Post#844 » by cmoss84 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:48 am

cmoss84 wrote:I really think he shines in a few years. 23. If we get a great deal for him, sure. But I'd wait and ride this one out.
cmoss84
Junior

Post#845 » by cmoss84 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:48 am

cmoss84 wrote:I really think he shines in a few years. 22. If we get a great deal for him, sure. But I'd wait and ride this one out.

Please delete post
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#846 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:37 pm

There has been a lot of reactions to Jaden McDaniels this year, and in my mind a lot of overreactions. Fans have seemingly turned on him, going from "absolutely untouchable except maybe for a superstar" to "overpaid, bad contract who we need to trade" in the matter of a season's time.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I haven't turned on him to the point where I feel it's paramount to trade him, but I think I'm giving potential trade calls a little bit more thought when they might come up.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,872

Post#847 » by life_saver » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:39 pm

I was hoping Jaden to play a bigger role on offense with KAT being out but infact he has been playing lot worse offensively since KAT's injury
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#848 » by frankenwolf » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:47 pm

life_saver wrote:I was hoping Jaden to play a bigger role on offense with KAT being out but infact he has been playing lot worse offensively since KAT's injury

IDK - I think Jaden is still trying to figure out how to increase his scoring. He went from being #4 to #2 (imo) and that requires a mind shift. He's still shifting.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#849 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:28 pm

I thought in terms of roles, the comparison made to Dillon Brooks on today's Dane Moore podcast makes a lot of sense.

Sometimes, how we talk about a player can actually be a disservice to him because it likely sticks for the rest of his career. Andrew Wiggins was always framed here as Maple Jordan, and so he was always going to be a disappointment for Wolves fans. I think whether it was the Scottie Pippen comps or the Mikal Bridges comps, these things frame McDaniels in a way that makes his season and career to this point seem like a disappointment. Probably especially so since he isn't developing at the same exponential rate as 2020 classmate Anthony Edwards.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#850 » by Note30 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:29 pm

Klomp wrote:I thought in terms of roles, the comparison made to Dillon Brooks on today's Dane Moore podcast makes a lot of sense.

Sometimes, how we talk about a player can actually be a disservice to him because it likely sticks for the rest of his career. Andrew Wiggins was always framed here as Maple Jordan, and so he was always going to be a disappointment for Wolves fans. I think whether it was the Scottie Pippen comps or the Mikal Bridges comps, these things frame McDaniels in a way that makes his season and career to this point seem like a disappointment. Probably especially so since he isn't developing at the same exponential rate as 2020 classmate Anthony Edwards.

It's the 146 M. That's why he feels like a disappointment.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#851 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:40 pm

Note30 wrote:It's the 146 M. That's why he feels like a disappointment.

I get it. But I think it's important to remember where the cap is at the same time.

Heck, when Wiggins signed for that same number, his was on a salary cap of $101,869,000....a 25% max. Next year, Jaden will be making approximately 16% of the salary cap.

MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#852 » by MN7725 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
life_saver wrote:I was hoping Jaden to play a bigger role on offense with KAT being out but infact he has been playing lot worse offensively since KAT's injury

IDK - I think Jaden is still trying to figure out how to increase his scoring. He went from being #4 to #2 (imo) and that requires a mind shift. He's still shifting.

the disappointing thing is Jaden stepped up last year about the same time (Mid March) and had the best offensive month of his career, was creating good looks in half court, got to the line

now he's looking as clumsy and rushed with the ball as when he was a rookie
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,457

Post#853 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:59 pm

It is too early to talk about what he will do next year. Guys work on their game in the offseason. Jaden’s 24-25 salary is actually earned in 24-25. In 23-24 he is making 3.9 and over performing that with his defense.

Regarding his offense, Jaden is still averaging 10.3 PPG on 48.3% shooting. It is his 3 point percentage that has nosedived to 33.7%. But, his volume is 199 attempts. If he had made 8 more 3s he would be over 37.5%. If he made just 4 more 3s he would be 35.67%. We have seen players go throw shooting slumps. His has lasted a little less than a month, and tanked his percentage. If Jaden gets back on track, especially from the corner, people will be much more excited about his potential again, and even more excited about the possibilities his return to form present in the playoffs.

Edit to update: I did the math, Jaden is 8 of 35 from deep in March. 5 of those came from his March 1st game where he went 5 of 7. 8/35 is 22.85%. Jaden is currently 67 of 199. Before this month Jaden was shooting 35.97% from deep. A clear regression, but hardly catastrophic.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,872

Post#854 » by life_saver » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:37 am

Very good bounce back game from Jaden
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#855 » by minimus » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 am

Both Jaden and our coaching staff needs to get better at creating and recognising favourable matchups for Jaden such as:

- smaller guards such as Murray/Young. Jaden can postup and shoot over them. Or even drive and dunk.
Read on Twitter

- less athletic bigs such as Jokic. Jaden can use his dribbling to beat them on perimeter, or just cut hard
Read on Twitter

- smaller bigs such as Aaron Gordon. Drive and shoot over with that hanging jumper
Read on Twitter
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,457

Post#856 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:07 pm

Jaden going 4 of 6 from deep actually raised his 3 point percentage for the season from 33.7% to 34.6%. This is what I was talking about above. When your volume is so low, the numbers are prone to significant swings.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#857 » by gandlogo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:17 pm

Klomp wrote:I fall somewhere in the middle. I haven't turned on him to the point where I feel it's paramount to trade him, but I think I'm giving potential trade calls a little bit more thought when they might come up.

Exactly where I'm at on him too. Everyone wants big, two-way wings, so it would be tough to move him without getting a similar player back. Deni Avdija is similar, but different. Both are coming into extensions - with poison pills. Not straight up, but I would at least listen this year.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,998

Post#858 » by wolves_89 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:18 pm

Guest84 wrote:What's acceptable/expected production going forward for Jaden? Mostly speaking about next year and beyond. 15ppg? 20ppg? Does it even appear that he can manage that consistently?

The more I watch him, the more I feel like he could be a piece we dangle to improve going forward. While he can score in spots, his offense isn't smooth/or natural enough to suggest he's a 20ppg scorer. He's also been getting beat on the perimeter more often this year as well. Although, I'm sure if it's by design to funnel to Rudy or what.

We def need another professional bucket-getter on this team.

As long as KAT is on the team I think Jaden's ceiling is probably in the 13-15ppg range. One thing I would like to see is him being more aggressive on the offensive end when one or both of Ant/KAT are off the court. I still believe that Jaden can develop into a solid 3rd offensive option when he hits his prime. My hope is that the team's core in 3-4 years includes NAW/Ant/Jaden/Naz.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#859 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:51 pm

Jaden needs to work on his game more. He's still got to tighten up that handle to really take a big offensive jump.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#860 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Prior to Monday's shot at the buzzer, Jaden hadn't made a 3-pointer since the Cleveland game....missed 16 in a row.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves