The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Re: The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread 

Post#821 » by Note30 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Note30 wrote:I know this is probably gonna be a bad take, but wait for his trade value to go up and trade him. That temper isn't going away. It should have gone away when he wasn't able to play in the playoffs last year because of what he did. It was still there during the warriors incident, and it's still there tonight.

Maybe he can get better, but before he's deemed like DeMarcus Cousins trade his ass before his value hits the toilet.

Should we trade Edwards since he cry's every time he drives as well?

We don't want cry babies either :crazy:

What? Are you being dense? One has and actively will cause missed games in a pretty important role. Especially one were committed to for the next 4 years at $150Mill. Sure for the time being team chemistry doesn't seem all that affected, but it definitely can down the road.

Ant isnt punching walls breaking his hands or starting fights with opposing players.

We have two cry babies in Karl and Ant. They are both good teammates and not actively missing time because of their actions.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#822 » by winforlose » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:03 pm

Note30 wrote:I know this is probably gonna be a bad take, but wait for his trade value to go up and trade him. That temper isn't going away. It should have gone away when he wasn't able to play in the playoffs last year because of what he did. It was still there during the warriors incident, and it's still there tonight.

Maybe he can get better, but before he's deemed like DeMarcus Cousins trade his ass before his value hits the toilet.

Sorry but this is a bad take. Jaden can guard 1-4 and has an untapped offense well that can lead to an easy 20 ppg. Before continuing I want to make clear, I am not advocating Jaden hunt 20 PPG, but rather just take the open shots and easy attacks that are created by the offensive gravity of Ant, KAT, Mike, and Rudy. They leave Jaden open a lot, and he will sooner or later learn to punish opposing teams for that.

Back to the point at issue, Jaden was right to be pissed. He gets the short end of a lot of whistles, especially when he guard the opponents best player (which is 90% of the time.) While that does not excuse his temper, it does put it in prospective. Also important to remember, that there is simply no player we could trade Jaden for that would give us equal value. He is the POA defender and corner spacer we need to take the next step. Finally, and this is equally important, he is 23. Maybe he never grows out of his temper, but maybe he does. In any case his defense and offense won’t dry up so his value will remain largely intact regardless of his temper. Short of a draymond like assault I don’t see his temper outweighing his value to us or anyone else.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#823 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:08 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#824 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:16 am

I listens to this last night and had mixed feelings. It starts at 4:38. Finch talks about Jaden, his role, and his offense.

https://youtu.be/tG6pFo65olk?si=KlG7H53wTSHIaAFm
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#825 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:23 am

winforlose wrote:I listens to this last night and had mixed feelings. It starts at 4:38. Finch talks about Jaden, his role, and his offense.

He's obviously fine with his role right now or he wouldn't have extended for five years guaranteed with no options. His role will grow as he ages and continues to develop.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#826 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:28 am

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:I listens to this last night and had mixed feelings. It starts at 4:38. Finch talks about Jaden, his role, and his offense.

He's obviously fine with his role right now or he wouldn't have extended for five years guaranteed with no options. His role will grow as he ages and continues to develop.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. The mixed feelings aren’t based on his dissatisfactions, they are based on his ability level and our not properly using him. Jaden has the talent to be a 20 PPG player. He is already averaging 10.8. Finch knows that Jaden has such a wide variety of tools in his bag, but doesn’t seek to make him more of a focus of second unit scoring. I get not wanting to disrupt a good thing, but we are a below average offense with a 23 year old weapon that we aren’t using.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#827 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter

winforlose
General Manager

Post#828 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:09 pm

I was listening to Flagrant Howls, and they announced Jaden is going to be a father. I checked into it, and his GF made this very public announcement on February 18th of 2024. In the photo she has a baby bump. Kyle suggested on the pod that there is some dispute over whether he is the father. I don’t have all the details of this situation, but it does coincide with his bad attitude and funk.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#829 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:19 pm

winforlose wrote:I was listening to Flagrant Howls, and they announced Jaden is going to be a father. I checked into it, and his GF made this very public announcement on February 18th of 2024. In the photo she has a baby bump. Kyle suggested on the pod that there is some dispute over whether he is the father. I don’t have all the details of this situation, but it does coincide with his bad attitude and funk.

Kids, listen to MJ's advise - Don't go around breaking young girl's heart. Although these days it's easy to figure out who's the father. Hope all that funk is behind him and get back on track on the court ( I mean basketball court).
winforlose
General Manager

Post#830 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:26 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:I was listening to Flagrant Howls, and they announced Jaden is going to be a father. I checked into it, and his GF made this very public announcement on February 18th of 2024. In the photo she has a baby bump. Kyle suggested on the pod that there is some dispute over whether he is the father. I don’t have all the details of this situation, but it does coincide with his bad attitude and funk.

Kids, listen to MJ's advise - Don't go around breaking young girl's heart. Although these days it's easy to figure out who's the father. Hope all that funk is behind him and get back on track on the court ( I mean basketball court).

I listened again, I may have misunderstood. He may know he is the father. Kyle said “with all the personal stuff he may have going on, maybe having a kid and stuff.” The first time I took that to mean he is not sure he is the father. The second time I was less literal and accounted for Kyle using maybe in a non literal context (kinda like saying um.) Either way, Jaden had not even publicly acknowledged he was dating the mother until he she publicly announced they were expecting. So drama right around the time of the funk.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#831 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:34 pm

Has she been pregnant since he was in college?
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#832 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:42 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

Funny but Jaden was always known to be a volatile person. It's the main reason he falls so low in the draft.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#833 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:06 pm

TimberKat wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Funny but Jaden was always known to be a volatile person. It's the main reason he falls so low in the draft.

Exactly my point.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#834 » by Guest84 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:02 pm

What's acceptable/expected production going forward for Jaden? Mostly speaking about next year and beyond. 15ppg? 20ppg? Does it even appear that he can manage that consistently?

The more I watch him, the more I feel like he could be a piece we dangle to improve going forward. While he can score in spots, his offense isn't smooth/or natural enough to suggest he's a 20ppg scorer. He's also been getting beat on the perimeter more often this year as well. Although, I'm sure if it's by design to funnel to Rudy or what.

We def need another professional bucket-getter on this team.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,723

Post#835 » by thinktank » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:08 pm

Guest84 wrote:What's acceptable/expected production going forward for Jaden? Mostly speaking about next year and beyond. 15ppg? 20ppg? Does it even appear that he can manage that consistently?

The more I watch him, the more I feel like he could be a piece we dangle to improve going forward. While he can score in spots, his offense isn't smooth/or natural enough to suggest he's a 20ppg scorer. He's also been getting beat on the perimeter more often this year as well. Although, I'm sure if it's by design to funnel to Rudy or what.

Finch is addicted to using the 6-10 McDaniels to guard the fastest PGs and SGs on the planet.

He needs to realize that it doesn’t work all the time and use NAW more until KAT returns.

Longer-term, McDaniels is only going to get bigger and slower. Fix the game plan yesterday.
"a poor addition to the board"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#836 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:18 pm

Guest84 wrote:What's acceptable/expected production going forward for Jaden? Mostly speaking about next year and beyond. 15ppg? 20ppg? Does it even appear that he can manage that consistently?

I think it will be important for him to have a strong summer, might be beneficial to stay in town like Naz did last year.

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,489

Post#837 » by guest81 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:51 pm

I think if you are a 20 point scorer you have to be either fast or super strong, or be an elite shooter. Jaden isn't really any of those things. He can't really create because he can't really dribble, and he isn't strong enough to be a guy whose guns get a lot of free throws
winforlose
General Manager

Post#838 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 pm

Jaden can hang in the air. You might think that sounds silly, but with his hang time, Jaden can get semi open short jumpers. He also has soft touch for some high bank shots. He can attack off the dribble, but it is not his strong suit. Jaden is a guy who can score 20, but not create the shots he needs to do it.

P.S. He needs to unleash the fro. It is our secret weapon/sauce, and with so many guys down, we need all the firepower we can get. Maybe we start a change.org petition or something ;)
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#839 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:09 am

winforlose wrote:Jaden can hang in the air. You might think that sounds silly, but with his hang time, Jaden can get semi open short jumpers. He also has soft touch for some high bank shots. He can attack off the dribble, but it is not his strong suit. Jaden is a guy who can score 20, but not create the shots he needs to do it.

P.S. He needs to unleash the fro. It is our secret weapon/sauce, and with so many guys down, we need all the firepower we can get. Maybe we start a change.org petition or something ;)

He's done it 14 times in his career. With a a career high of 26.

So yeah, he can score 20 points. But I really doubt he can be a 20 PPG scorer.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#840 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:01 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:Jaden can hang in the air. You might think that sounds silly, but with his hang time, Jaden can get semi open short jumpers. He also has soft touch for some high bank shots. He can attack off the dribble, but it is not his strong suit. Jaden is a guy who can score 20, but not create the shots he needs to do it.

He's done it 14 times in his career. With a a career high of 26.

So yeah, he can score 20 points. But I really doubt he can be a 20 PPG scorer.

He has 3 primary weapons.

1. Sweet spot scoring. Usually the corner 3 point shot, that hanging jumper somewhere near the edge of the paint to just inside the paint, and at the rim. He is not great percentage wise from outside the sweet spots.

2. He is an eager transition runner. He wants to use his motor either as the guy with the ball or the guy who gets the ball, or the guy who rebounds and finishes. Given his ability to create turnovers and his relative consistency in transition, I am calling this a weapon.

3. The final category is more a work in progress than an established weapon. He is developing a put back game. He had 2 extra chances yesterday and missed both. He has however had some nice put back jams and drop ins, he also getting better at corner crashing.

These things together are the basis of a solid offensive game. The key for Jaden is consistency and finding more opportunities within his role.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves