ImageImageImage

Fun facts and unreal stats

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Re: Fun facts and unreal stats 

Post#401 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:11 am

You probably shouldn’t ignore that we ended up trading Rubio for Prince and the draft picks that would become Minott and Clarke.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#402 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:25 am

shrink wrote:We got Ant, Jaden and Naz that night. I’m content with that.

Naz was the year before...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,455

Post#403 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:55 am

shrink wrote:Interesting! I don’t have an opinion on Rosa’s’ picks, but I will say that I think bringing in Rubio did a lot to put Ant on the right path to start his career.

Ant gave all of the credit for his miraculous second half turnaround to Ricky, and I think without Rubio mentoring him and showing him how to be a professional, there is a possibility that Ant busts.

We got Ant, Jaden and Naz that night. I’m content with that.

I am sorry, but you honestly think Ant is a bust without Ricky? That is too big a stretch for me. Rubio was here for one year and was awful. Pat Bev mentored him the next year and I think he had as big an impact if not greater. Ant is too athletic and too skilled to be a bust. You want to argue his development is slower, we can have that conversation, but you would need to point to other superstars who would have busted if not for a vet mentor.

Naz was the year before along with JMAC. We drafted Culver and Nowell in 2019 as well. Do you think Maxey also busts if we draft him 17th? Do you think Jaden goes 28th if we don’t draft him? The possibilities are endless for the ways we could have been better, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Rosas had some good moments, but overall he made some big mistakes.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,494

Post#404 » by TimberKat » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:08 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:Interesting! I don’t have an opinion on Rosa’s’ picks, but I will say that I think bringing in Rubio did a lot to put Ant on the right path to start his career.

Ant gave all of the credit for his miraculous second half turnaround to Ricky, and I think without Rubio mentoring him and showing him how to be a professional, there is a possibility that Ant busts.

We got Ant, Jaden and Naz that night. I’m content with that.

I am sorry, but you honestly think Ant is a bust without Ricky? That is too big a stretch for me. Rubio was here for one year and was awful. Pat Bev mentored him the next year and I think he had as big an impact if not greater. Ant is too athletic and too skilled to be a bust. You want to argue his development is slower, we can have that conversation, but you would need to point to other superstars who would have busted if not for a vet mentor.

Naz was the year before along with JMAC. We drafted Culver and Nowell in 2019 as well. Do you think Maxey also busts if we draft him 17th? Do you think Jaden goes 28th if we don’t draft him? The possibilities are endless for the ways we could have been better, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Rosas had some good moments, but overall he made some big mistakes.

I would say there is a little more bad than good from Rosa. Culver was inexcusable and Wiggins trade was bad too. There is no way we give GSW the #1 pick when everyone knows they didn't want DLo for the long run.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,870

Post#405 » by life_saver » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:29 pm

Biggest problem over last 2 games -
Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,684

Post#406 » by shrink » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:08 pm

winforlose wrote:

Yes, I think that’s very possible. At the draft, Ant was considered a high upside pick with bust potential. He was not “too skilled,” when he was drafted - in fact, he had received a poorer high school/college development environment than most lottery picks. The first half of his rookie season he was awful as well, and I was just hoping we would see some flashes.

What changed? To me, one of Ant’s greatest abilities is that he listens to others. JimPete made a big deal about how, unlike most athletic rookies that get lots of sudden fame with a high pick, when you would watch Ant and Ricky interact, Ant would ask a question, and listen with his mouth closed. He wants to be great, and to his credit, he realizes that he doesn’t have all the answers yet. Finch says he coaches him harder than anyone on the team, and that Ant grows under it.

Finally, along these same lines, I would say that young Ant is impressionable, and seems to pick up the characteristics of the players he is around. He has picked up some good ones (professionalism from Rubio, asking Mike Conley about passing, PatBev), and sometimes he can pick up bad habits as well (Towns has seemed to correct his habit of whining and techs, but Ant has not). Tim Connelly has mentioned this as well, and has tried to put the right vets in impressionable Ant’s ear. Rubio was particularly important putting him on the right path, because the two “team leaders” at the time were KAT and DLo.
shrink
RealGM

Post#407 » by shrink » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:33 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote: We drafted Culver and Nowell in 2019 as well. Do you think Maxey also busts if we draft him 17th? Do you think Jaden goes 28th if we don’t draft him? The possibilities are endless for the ways we could have been better, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Rosas had some good moments, but overall he made some big mistakes.

I would say there is a little more bad than good from Rosas. Culver was inexcusable and Wiggins trade was bad too. There is no way we give GSW the #1 pick when everyone knows they didn't want DLo for the long run.

Rosas plan was never to get Culver, it was to get Darius Garland. He did a marvelous trade of Saric and #11 to move up to #6, and tried to trade up to #5 to get Garland from the Cavs, who had spent a lottery pick on Sexton the previous year. He made offers right up to the time CLE was on the clock, but apparently they wanted a motherload to move up one spot, and he was forced to make a pick at #6. I don’t think he wanted Culver either, but a long 3-and-D wing prospect seemed to have the most trade value. The other choices at #6 aren’t that appealing, though Coby White has finally shown something four years later (White, Jaxson Hayes, Rui, Reddish). My assessment is that he gambled and lost.

As for Wiggins, I would point out that he was considered at the time as possibly the worst contract in the NBA, and I don’t believe he was ever going to develop in Minnesota. We had tried everything. I agree that GSW didn’t want DLo, but they didn’t have to trade him for the worst contract in the NBA. In addition, the new GM was trying to keep Towns happy after the Jimmy incident and continuing regular season failures. KAT was the only quality piece in MIN.

Now I should mention that I am no fan of the way he demanded that Ryan Saunders coach his way, and “make other teams adjust to us.” I obviously was never a DLo fan either. But Rosas made the correct call in 2020 choosing Ant over Ball and Wiseman. That wasn’t easy at the time - it wasn’t an obvious pick like a Wembanyama. Just imagine where the franchise would be if he selected Wiseman - no Ant or Rudy! Jaden was nice too, but the Ant pick is what finally rescued our franchise from continuous bad seasons and waiting for the lottery every January.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#408 » by TimberKat » Mon Mar 4, 2024 11:34 pm

shrink wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote: We drafted Culver and Nowell in 2019 as well. Do you think Maxey also busts if we draft him 17th? Do you think Jaden goes 28th if we don’t draft him? The possibilities are endless for the ways we could have been better, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Rosas had some good moments, but overall he made some big mistakes.

I would say there is a little more bad than good from Rosas. Culver was inexcusable and Wiggins trade was bad too. There is no way we give GSW the #1 pick when everyone knows they didn't want DLo for the long run.

Rosas plan was never to get Culver, it was to get Darius Garland. He did a marvelous trade of Saric and #11 to move up to #6, and tried to trade up to #5 to get Garland from the Cavs, who had spent a lottery pick on Sexton the previous year. He made offers right up to the time CLE was on the clock, but apparently they wanted a motherload to move up one spot, and he was forced to make a pick at #6. I don’t think he wanted Culver either, but a long 3-and-D wing prospect seemed to have the most trade value. The other choices at #6 aren’t that appealing, though Coby White has finally shown something four years later (White, Jaxson Hayes, Rui, Reddish). My assessment is that he gambled and lost.

As for Wiggins, I would point out that he was considered at the time as possibly the worst contract in the NBA, and I don’t believe he was ever going to develop in Minnesota. We had tried everything. I agree that GSW didn’t want DLo, but they didn’t have to trade him for the worst contract in the NBA. In addition, the new GM was trying to keep Towns happy after the Jimmy incident and continuing regular season failures. KAT was the only quality piece in MIN.

Now I should mention that I am no fan of the way he demanded that Ryan Saunders coach his way, and “make other teams adjust to us.” I obviously was never a DLo fan either. But Rosas made the correct call in 2020 choosing Ant over Ball and Wiseman. That wasn’t easy at the time - it wasn’t an obvious pick like a Wembanyama. Just imagine where the franchise would be if he selected Wiseman - no Ant or Rudy! Jaden was nice too, but the Ant pick is what finally rescued our franchise from continuous bad seasons and waiting for the lottery every January.

Yes, but you should have a plan for what happens if Garland isn't there. I follow the Cavs fairy closely and no one was sure Cavs would draft Culver. I also don't think the national perspective of Wiggins is that much worse than DLo (if any in terms of ability and contract). Everyone talks about how Wiggins was a much better fit and money is no objective to GSW. It's a matter of who blink first.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#409 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#410 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:56 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/anthony-davis-overwhelms-timberwolves-with-first-of-its-kind-stat-line-in-lakers-win-050147611.html

This article talks about how AD’s numbers from last night are unprecedented. This gets even more interesting when you factor in Finch’s comments about AD not needing to leave the paint.

“ Jon Krawczynski: Finch: “I was a little disappointed in that it took us way too long to find our physicality on the ball. I don’t know if we were playing to keep ourselves out of foul trouble. It was clear they weren’t going to blow the whistle a lot, so we should’ve been way more physical.” 6 hours ago – via Twitter JonKrawczynski
Chris Finch, Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota Timberwolves”

Copied from hoopshype.

Also

“ Jon Krawczynski: Chris Finch on Davis: “He should’ve dominated us. Size, length, all that stuff. Was in the paint for seven, eight seconds every time they shot the ball. It’s easy to go get it. But we got to do a better job of rooting him out.” 6 hours ago – via Twitter JonKrawczynski”

Copied from hoopshype
winforlose
General Manager

Post#411 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:01 pm

“ClutchPoints: The Minnesota Timberwolves last night vs. the Los Angeles Clippers: Trailed by 22 Led by 22 Since the 2000-01 NBA season, there have been over 5,500 instances of a team falling behind by 22+ points on the road (Regular season & playoffs) The T-Wolves are the only team to come back from such a deficit and later take a 22+ point lead themselves (via @OptaSTATS ) 6 hours ago – via Twitter”

Copied from hoopshype
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#412 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:18 am

winforlose wrote:“ClutchPoints: The Minnesota Timberwolves last night vs. the Los Angeles Clippers: Trailed by 22 Led by 22 Since the 2000-01 NBA season, there have been over 5,500 instances of a team falling behind by 22+ points on the road (Regular season & playoffs) The T-Wolves are the only team to come back from such a deficit and later take a 22+ point lead themselves (via @OptaSTATS ) 6 hours ago – via Twitter”

Copied from hoopshype

Interesting, I know we been on the other side before in the KG era or after. Like vs GSW and WAS? Maybe it is before 2000.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#413 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:39 am

Read on Twitter

winforlose
General Manager

Post#414 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:01 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t think he had an assist in the first half, (wonder how long it’s been since that happened, and I don’t think he had an assist in the 3rd either.) I like the approach of turning him into a scorer and making the rest of the Nuggets create for themselves.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#415 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#416 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:19 pm

Read on Twitter

winforlose
General Manager

Post#417 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s cool in the sense we can come back when we fall down. But it sucks in the sense that we fall down often enough to need to come back.
shrink
RealGM

Post#418 » by shrink » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:09 am

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s cool in the sense we can come back when we fall down. But it sucks in the sense that we fall down often enough to need to come back.

That was my question as well, and I wish the author had posted the actual win-loss numbers.

It feels like we may have been down twice as much as the other teams
winforlose
General Manager

Post#419 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:05 pm

So Ant has had a lot of extra usage since Karl went down. With this usage we have seen a rise in all of his averages. He is now somewhere around 31.1 per game in the 7 since Karl went out. But what I want to talk about is the rest of the team. People always ask how can such a limited offensive team compete without their number 2. Well, our team is far from limited. In 5 of the 7 games our team has had a at least 1 non Ant 20 point performance. In some of those 5, they have had 2. In 1 Ant went for 19 and Naz went for 34. With so many capable and dynamic scores, maybe the media is asking the wrong questions.

1: Indy, Ant 44, Gobert 18.
2: Cavs, Ant 19, Naz 34
3: LAL, Ant 25, Naz 25
4: LAC, Ant, 37, NAW, 28, Mike 23
5: Jazz, Ant, 31, Mike 25, Naz 22
6: Jazz, Ant 32, Naz 17
7: Denver, Ant, 30, Jaden 26.

We have 4 guys in Naz, NAW, Mike, and Jaden who are not max players who on any given night can drop 20+. When is the last time we could say that?
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#420 » by frankenwolf » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:27 pm

winforlose wrote:So Ant has had a lot of extra usage since Karl went down. With this usage we have seen a rise in all of his averages. He is now somewhere around 31.1 per game in the 7 since Karl went out. But what I want to talk about is the rest of the team. People always ask how can such a limited offensive team compete without their number 2. Well, our team is far from limited. In 5 of the 7 games our team has had a at least 1 non Ant 20 point performance. In some of those 5, they have had 2. In 1 Ant went for 19 and Naz went for 34. With so many capable and dynamic scores, maybe the media is asking the wrong questions.

1: Indy, Ant 44, Gobert 18.
2: Cavs, Ant 19, Naz 34
3: LAL, Ant 25, Naz 25
4: LAC, Ant, 37, NAW, 28, Mike 23
5: Jazz, Ant, 31, Mike 25, Naz 22
6: Jazz, Ant 32, Naz 17
7: Denver, Ant, 30, Jaden 26.

We have 4 guys in Naz, NAW, Mike, and Jaden who are not max players who on any given night can drop 20+. When is the last time we could say that?

Pick me, pick me! I know the answer!!

NEVER!
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves