**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two** 

Post#1181 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:46 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:But the previous 4 years he's played in 188 games. For comparison, Embiid played in 236.

And in the other 5 seasons, KAT has played 383. In Embiid’s other six (he missed his first two), he played in 192.

At least both these guys have unrelated injuries, as opposed to Ben Simmons, who has chronic back problems.

Recency matters a lot.

I brought up Embiid because people always talk about how injury prone he is and how many games he misses. Unfortunately KAT in his mid-late 20s is giving Joel a run for his money.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#1182 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:49 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:But the previous 4 years he's played in 188 games. For comparison, Embiid played in 236.

And in the other 5 seasons, KAT has played 383. In Embiid’s other six (he missed his first two), he played in 192.

At least both these guys have unrelated injuries, as opposed to Ben Simmons, who has chronic back problems.

Recency matters a lot.

I brought up Embiid because people always talk about how injury prone he is and how many games he misses. Unfortunately KAT in his mid-late 20s is giving Joel a run for his money.

But this neglects the 60 games Towns has “recently” played this season, to Embiid’s 34.

I get your point, but if you are talking about injury-prone reputations, they don’t come from pick-and-choose seasons.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1183 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:57 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:And in the other 5 seasons, KAT has played 383. In Embiid’s other six (he missed his first two), he played in 192.

Recency matters a lot.

But this neglects the 60 games Towns has “recently” played this season, to Embiid’s 34.

I get your point, but if you are talking about injury-prone reputations, they don’t come from pick-and-choose seasons.

Does your opinion change if he misses the rest of the year and ends up missing over 20 games again?

I'm not really picking and choosing. KAT had 4 Iron Man years followed by 4 years where he missed a bunch of games. This year could still go either way, but even if he comes back and plays 75 games this year, does 1 year negate the previous 4? I'd say its a positive outcome and hope it trends forward, but I'm still going to hold my breath every time he stumbles until he can string more than 1 healthy year in a row together.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,457

Post#1184 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:02 pm

m2002brian wrote:
winforlose wrote:
m2002brian wrote:

https://watchreplay.net/blazers-vs-timberwolves-march-4-2024/20674/

I went back again and watched a little further back (Edited post to show it). I just remember watching the game and KAT was shaking his leg out.

You could be right, but I actually wonder if the problem didn’t begin back in December. He missed a game with left knee soreness and was limping for the next few.

That is a good point, could have reaggravated something in existing v Portland.

Or turned it from a micro tear into a more substantial tear. I don’t know and cannot know without knowing the severity of the injury.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1185 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:06 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Recency matters a lot.

Does your opinion change if he misses the rest of the year and ends up missing over 20 games again?

I'm not really picking and choosing. KAT had 4 Iron Man years followed by 4 years where he missed a bunch of games. This year could still go either way, but even if he comes back and plays 75 games this year, does 1 year negate the previous 4? I'd say its a positive outcome and hope it trends forward, but I'm still going to hold my breath every time he stumbles until he can string more than 1 healthy year in a row together.

Probably not my opinion, but I could see it change other people’s opinions, especially since a few were already calling KAT “injury prone” before today. But then again, I’m probably in the minority in general, because I don’t consider a player injury prone if they don’t have recurring injuries to the same body part. I think size and weight push a player towards injuries (like Embiid and Zion), but I make a distinction between them and a player I consider injury-prone like Simmons. But I realize I’m the minority here, and your point is a valid one.

For the record, if we had a scenario where Embiid miraculously started playing today, (even though he is simply hoping to be back by the playoffs), and Towns missed the entire rest of the season, Embiid STILL would have missed more games than Towns. 60 games in the books is not a positive, but it isn’t an unrealistic season for high usage vets these days, and our position today at the top of the West is partly due to Towns’ health and availability.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#1186 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:08 pm

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#1187 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:12 pm

FWIW, Karl’s injury last year was a right leg calf strain and this is a left knee meniscus.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1188 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:31 pm

Woj live at 5:30 said there is no consensus yet, and the Wolves and Towns are out getting second opinions.

They should decide in the next 24 hours.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,457

Post#1189 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:44 pm

shrink wrote:Woj live at 5:30 said there is no consensus yet, and the Wolves and Towns are out getting second opinions.

They should decide in the next 24 hours.

That tells me there is a way back this season, but has higher risks for his longevity.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1190 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:56 pm

shrink wrote:FWIW, Karl’s injury last year was a right leg calf strain and this is a left knee meniscus.

So his whole body is breaking down...
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#1191 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:06 am

Could be the edn of the season for KAT.It sucks but hope he can recover and take the right time for that. The others players have to step up a bit and we will be fine.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,415

Post#1192 » by JRoy » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:57 am

Injuries suck.

It really is too bad, you guys were having a great year.

Get well soon, KAT!
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#1193 » by younggunsmn » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:24 am

The injury sucks. Hopefully they are able to do whatever is best for Karl's career.
The repairs don't have a great long term track record and take a longer recovery time.
Hopefully the degree of damage is not overly severe and the amount they would need to remove is not enough to cause him chronic long term problems. But he's a big man so the calculus might be a little different for him than it was Jimmy Butler.

The positives:
1. The defense is likely to improve. If we can maintain that #1 defense it should keep us in most games.
2. Other players are going to be forced to step up and score and playmake more, which should help us be better long term.
3. The guys who will be replacing his minutes are much less turnover prone, which will help both the offense and transition defense.
KAT was about a 1:1 A/TO ratio which is terrible for any player with that high of usage.

Other negatives.
1. A lot of scoring and especially shooting to replace now, and also rebounding.
2. Big man depth becomes a concern. Especially replacing Rudy, an injury to him would almost be season ending.
3. Ant almost certianly will make All-NBA now and get his supermax with the increased usage he will get with KAT out.
4. Another hit to his trade value if we go that route in the offseason.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#1194 » by KGdaBom » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:10 am

JRoy wrote:Injuries suck.

It really is too bad, you guys were having a great year.

Get well soon, KAT!

We're still having a great year.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#1195 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 8, 2024 8:25 am

Clav wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Clav wrote:I'm gutted. Absolutely feeling the low today from this :(

The opera is never over until the fat lady sings. Give this a little time.

I know, but our offense and defense will be out of sorts for a while. Let's hope the team rallies hard and we get big contributions from our other players [can we bring Leonard Miller into the rotation? is he ready?]. Thank goodness the Wolves have some decent depth and this isn't a crippling long-term injury.

I guess we'll see how the team responds. Our remaining schedule includes:

Indiana
Cleveland (x2)
Lakers (x2)
Clippers
Utah (x2)
Denver (x3)
Warriors
Detroit
Chicago
Houston
Toronto
Phoenix (x2)
Washington
Atlanta

So a few contenders/playoff teams mixed in with a lot of lottery teams. If we split these games 50-50 we'd end up with a 53-29 record, which is still pretty good but will more than likely see us drop behind OKC and Denver, and maybe the Clippers or a surprise team (Pelicans? Suns?) too. Not a great outcome given our hopes this season but it should mean we still get homecourt in the first round and a lot of the expectations/pressure go away too.

But no, Miller isn't ready.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#1196 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:29 pm

Yeah, 9-10 wins should keep us in the top 4, but if we're legitimately only a .500 team without Towns it will be tough getting out of the first round.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#1197 » by frankenwolf » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:51 pm

Surgery to repair the tear. Evaluate in 4 weeks.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,495

Post#1198 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:06 pm

frankenwolf wrote:Surgery to repair the tear. Evaluate in 4 weeks.

The other key msg was whatever procedure they did (repair vs remove), they expect him to be ready for playoffs. I don't know if that had changed since last night.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#1199 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:29 pm

TimberKat wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:Surgery to repair the tear. Evaluate in 4 weeks.

The other key msg was whatever procedure they did (repair vs remove), they expect him to be ready for playoffs. I don't know if that had changed since last night.

I heard back for the early playoffs, whatever that means
shrink
RealGM

Post#1200 » by shrink » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:21 pm

They say “evaluate” in four weeks, so I don’t think they know about an expected return date.

April 14. Regular Season ends
April 16. Play In Tournament Begins
April 20. Playoffs Begin. .. six weeks and one day from now, if he has the surgery today.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves