**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two** 

Post#1141 » by gandlogo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:10 pm

Domejandro wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Huge downer. Ugh. Depending on severity, he could get it scoped in be back in 4-6 weeks. Still a kick in the nads.

I would be super surprised if they went the menisectomy route, feels too risky.

Always possible, but he is probably out for the season.

It all depends on the tear. My oldest - big offensive lineman - had surgery to repair on an initial tear with a long recovery (4+ months). And a scope on a different tear the following season. Six weeks later back playing college football. Similar timeline to Jimmy Butler several years back.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#1142 » by life_saver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:30 pm

The non-Naz minutes are gonna be even more painful with KAT out. We are gonna see lot more Rudy-SloMo lineups and it's gonna be ugly

Read on Twitter
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1143 » by Guidus88 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:55 pm

get well soon Big Fella! Waiting for you in June ;)

edit: I'd move Naz in the starting line-up and would give Naz minutes to Garza.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#1144 » by Guest84 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:58 pm

Dang, so it was confirmed to be a torn meniscus ...smh. I guess we'll see how much of a superstar Ant actually is now and how important Karl is/was to team success. This is such a bummer.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,496

Post#1145 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:59 pm

This really sucks. Even if he is back for the playoffs, he won't be effective. Also increase the chance of him getting traded in the off season also. So, this is effectively end of the big ball era. It's going to be more KA feeding Gobert for the rest of the season. So, Goal post moved again. Let's hope we hold on to 4th place finish and win one or two playoff series.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#1146 » by Nick K » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:05 pm

What devastating news. I don't know how you replace a guy like that. The best we can hope for is it's a small tear. I hate these meniscus tears almost more than an acl depending on severity. They have ended a lot of careers or guys just aren't the same. Maybe they can treat these things better today?

The Kat haters will see how important he is with his absence.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#1148 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:17 pm

I saw this on the General Board - don’t know if true:

Anyone knows when he injured his knee?

For clarification: newer studies Show that trying to fix the meniscus often only pushed back the removal of the damaged part by some time. Usually within the next two years the menisucs tears at the seam again and you have to remove it anyway. It is just not worth because you lose so much muscle and mobility while waiting the meniscus to heal. Better remove and start working out 2 weeks later and manage the knee from there.

As he’s just starting his supermax, the Wolves should make the best longterm move, regardless of our standings this year. Ugh!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#1149 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:22 pm

KARL-ANTHONY TOWNS
3/07/2024 9:46:40 AM
May not miss extended time Wojnarowski relays that it remains unclear how much time, if any, beyond Thursday's game that Towns will be forced to miss, with his report striking a more optimistic tone about the big man's health than one less than an hour earlier from Shams Charania of The Athletic, who described Towns as out indefinitely with a torn meniscus. Fantasy managers in redraft leagues are likely best off continuing to roster Towns until the Timberwolves provide more clarity on the extent of his injury as well as a treatment plan, but the possibility still exists that the 28-year-old will be lost for several weeks, if not the rest of the season. Kyle Anderson and Naz Reid look to be the primary beneficiaries of Towns' absence, for whatever length of time it might be.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#1150 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:22 pm

shrink wrote:I saw this on the General Board - don’t know if true:

For clarification: newer studies Show that trying to fix the meniscus often only pushed back the removal of the damaged part by some time. Usually within the next two years the menisucs tears at the seam again and you have to remove it anyway. It is just not worth because you lose so much muscle and mobility while waiting the meniscus to heal. Better remove and start working out 2 weeks later and manage the knee from there.

As he’s just starting his supermax, the Wolves should make the best longterm move, regardless of our standings this year. Ugh!

Since you bring up the S word. Let's said he will be out the entire year next year. How does that impact our cap next year? His supermax still count to cap or we get some kind of exceptions?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,411

Post#1151 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:25 pm

Terrible news. I felt like these last 20 games were important for him too because I still think he needed to carve out his role for this team better than he has. He still hasn't found an optimal spot when it comes to scoring. Even if he is back for the playoffs he will be rusty and we may have dropped some games so we could be at a lower seed dealing with a tougher matchup. Crappy scenario.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1152 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter

“If any?”

Woj says “meniscus injury” and Sham says “torn meniscus?”
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#1153 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:26 pm

Google said "Typically, mild meniscus tears heal within two to three weeks. Symptoms of moderate meniscus tears or strains: Pain at the side or center of the knee. Stiffness." - is there still hope for Wolves fans?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#1154 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:33 pm

TimberKat wrote:
shrink wrote:I saw this on the General Board - don’t know if true:

Since you bring up the S word. Let's said he will be out the entire year next year. How does that impact our cap next year? His supermax still count to cap or we get some kind of exceptions?

Yes it still affects our cap. The injured player exception allows you to sign someone you otherwise couldn’t (roster spot and a percentage of Karl’s salary,) but using it would hold Karl out all year, and that seems very unlikely with a meniscus tear.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1155 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:37 pm

TimberKat wrote:Since you bring up the S word. Let's said he will be out the entire year next year. How does that impact our cap next year? His supermax still count to cap or we get some kind of exceptions?

I don’t believe even severe meniscus tears knock you out for a season, but if that happened, MIN would apply to the NBA for a Disabled Player Exception which would be worth the MLE ($12- $13 mil). If the NBA decided it was more likely than less likely Towns would miss the season, they could grant the DPE. It could be used on a free agent or in trade, but only for a player on a one year deal.

This would simply be a typical exception, and both Towns, and the DPE, would count towards are lux payment. The only time a salary can be removed is if a player dies.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1156 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:59 pm

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

“If any?”

Big difference.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#1157 » by frankenwolf » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:09 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

“If any?”

Big difference.

Not really, if you want to get technical about it. A torn meniscus is indeed a meniscus injury, but a meniscus injury isn't always a torn meniscus. :)

However, since he had been playing with left knee soreness and then was scheduled to be out today, I wonder if it was something he had been playing with for a while and it wasn't getting better, so they checked it out yesterday and found a minor tear. If it is minor, he will be out for a while, but not the whole season.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Post#1158 » by Clav » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:15 pm

I'm gutted. Absolutely feeling the low today from this :(
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1159 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:46 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

“If any?”

Big difference.

Not really, if you want to get technical about it. A torn meniscus is indeed a meniscus injury, but a meniscus injury isn't always a torn meniscus. :)

However, since he had been playing with left knee soreness and then was scheduled to be out today, I wonder if it was something he had been playing with for a while and it wasn't getting better, so they checked it out yesterday and found a minor tear. If it is minor, he will be out for a while, but not the whole season.

Sure a torn meniscus is a meniscus injury, but a meniscus injury isn't necessarily a torn meniscus. That's why I said big difference. It could be a very big difference or no difference at all. We should find out pretty soon.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1160 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:46 pm

Clav wrote:I'm gutted. Absolutely feeling the low today from this :(

The opera is never over until the fat lady sings. Give this a little time.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves