**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two** 

Post#1201 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:40 pm

This does not have to be an indictment of Towns, but his absence will allow the team to play differently. They can speed up the tempo. They should also lean more into ball movement, not being so sticky and hopefully turning the ball over less. I also think about the "KAT is too good to just stick in the corner" statement, which I totally understand but it changes the complexion of the offense when he's not factored into the rotation.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1202 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:49 pm

Klomp wrote:This does not have to be an indictment of Towns, but his absence will allow the team to play differently. They can speed up the tempo. They should also lean more into ball movement, not being so sticky and hopefully turning the ball over less. I also think about the "KAT is too good to just stick in the corner" statement, which I totally understand but it changes the complexion of the offense when he's not factored into the rotation.

There is truth to this. But it also has major flaws. For example, Karl commands substantial defensive attention (call it offensive gravity,) that creates opportunities for everyone else. Even when Ant is in the game, Karl’s gravity is evident and beneficial. Another example is floor spacing. Last night the Wolves shot 7-25 from deep. Karl is arguably the best or second best 3 point shooter on the team. When you factor in volume Karl wins by a mile. Karl can also hit above the break which few Wolves other than Ant can do consistently, (sometimes Mike or Naz can, but it is less consistent than I would like.) That loss of range and loss of volume of distance shooting makes it easier to defend the paint, and therefore harder for Ant, Naz, Jaden, Rudy, ect… to get easy looks. Another factor is depth. Karl had plenty of efficient shooting nights and plenty of games where he played good defense. On the bad Karl nights we often had Naz pick him up. Without Karl, Naz is the primary guy who needs to shoulder that load. When Naz has a bad game, that puts more of the load on guys like Ant and Rudy who already are doing more than their share, and if they too have a bad game we lose. The other side of depth being injury insurance and we are now thin on bigs. I could go on. Suffice it to say Karl’s being out does provide opportunities for some guys and play style changes, but Finch demonstrated last night he is not the right coach to take advantage. Jaden shooting 7 shots is inexcusable and a terrible sign moving forward.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1203 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:53 pm

winforlose wrote:Suffice it to say Karl’s being out does provide opportunities for some guys and play style changes, but Finch demonstrated last night he is not the right coach to take advantage. Jaden shooting 7 shots is inexcusable and a terrible sign moving forward.

This is not a video game. It's not on Finch to make someone shoot more.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#1204 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:55 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:Suffice it to say Karl’s being out does provide opportunities for some guys and play style changes, but Finch demonstrated last night he is not the right coach to take advantage. Jaden shooting 7 shots is inexcusable and a terrible sign moving forward.

Finch calls plays and designs the offense. It is 100% on him to make sure someone shoots more. That is one of his primary responsibilities as HC.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1205 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:58 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Finch calls plays and designs the offense. It is 100% on him to make sure someone shoots more. That is one of his primary responsibilities as HC.

Play calls are about options. Very rarely are they made to get a single player a specific shot, unless you're talking about end-of-clock situations.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#1206 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:03 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:This is not a video game. It's not on Finch to make someone shoot more.

Play calls are about options. Very rarely are they made to get a single player a specific shot, unless you're talking about end-of-clock situations.

Actions are run to get guys good looks at shots they are comfortable with and competent at. Out of time out plays are about getting guys sweet spot shots or shots at the rim. Jaden took 7 shots all game. He scored 8 in the first half and 3 in the second half. Without Karl, with a banged up Ant, with Mike and Kyle both basically non existent on offense, and Naz having a bad night, this is not acceptable. Finch could make it very clear to Jaden if he doesn’t shoot more he will not start. Instead Finch made it clear to Jaden and the Wolves fans everywhere that there will not be plays run for Jaden, nor will there be a usage increase, (this was before KAT, went down,) and that is what we saw last night. Every game I watch Finch make the same mistakes and I inch closer and closer to saying we win despite him, not because of him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1207 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Actions are run to get guys good looks at shots they are comfortable with and competent at. Out of time out plays are about getting guys sweet spot shots or shots at the rim. Jaden took 7 shots all game. He scored 8 in the first half and 3 in the second half. Without Karl, with a banged up Ant, with Mike and Kyle both basically non existent on offense, and Naz having a bad night, this is not acceptable. Finch could make it very clear to Jaden if he doesn’t shoot more he will not start. Instead Finch made it clear to Jaden and the Wolves fans everywhere that there will not be plays run for Jaden, nor will there be a usage increase, (this was before KAT, went down,) and that is what we saw last night. Every game I watch Finch make the same mistakes and I inch closer and closer to saying we win despite him, not because of him.

Jaden takes the toughest defensive matchup every night. I'll cut him some slack for not upping his usage.

Satch
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#1208 » by Satch » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:23 pm

So much will depend on the location of the tear. The reparability of the meniscus ultimately depends on vascularity of the tear location; tears that occur near the ends of the c-shaped meniscus have more blood supply and are better equipped to heal. Because most of the meniscus has a poor blood supply and does not heal well, removing the torn piece by debridement is most commonly performed.

Meniscus tears that are cut out through debridement have a much shorter recovery time than those that are repaired with stitches. Patients use crutches for 1-2 days, and are able to return to their everyday activities within one week. At one month the average patient is 80% back to their pre-tear activities and sports, and 90-95% at two months.

In contrast, a repair requires a longer recovery time because the meniscus needs time to heal back together. Patients wear a brace for 4-6 weeks to limit movement and flexion in order to protect the repair. Rehabilitation and physical therapy take an additional 6-8 weeks, and most patients return to sports activities at 4 months.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1209 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Play calls are about options. Very rarely are they made to get a single player a specific shot, unless you're talking about end-of-clock situations.

Jaden takes the toughest defensive matchup every night. I'll cut him some slack for not upping his usage.

Then how do you explain NAW. His usage has been creeping up, and he takes the hardest or second hardest matchup whenever he is on the floor. Jaden isn’t too tired to shoot more, he just isn’t being used properly.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#1210 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:51 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Then how do you explain NAW. His usage has been creeping up, and he takes the hardest or second hardest matchup whenever he is on the floor. Jaden isn’t too tired to shoot more, he just isn’t being used properly.

Very different kind of player.

McDaniels is not a natural scorer. That doesn't mean he's not a very talented shooter with an improving on ball game - just that he's never been a guy who looks to score first. He's a complimentary guy. A 3&D that has flashed the potential to do more, but is not there yet at all. He's not a movement shooter or a great off ball guy. He's not a guy you can say "double your attempts" and good things will happen. He's really only comfortable scoring in the flow of the game. Literally 99% of his career 3s have been assisted.

NAW came into the league as a scorer that didn't play defense and that was his rep for a number of years. He was a 16-17 FGA/36 (and 8(!) 3PA/36) every year in New Orleans. It wasn't until he was exiled to Utah that he reinvented himself as a defense first, low volume scorer. In Utah and MN, he's settled into the 11-12 FGA/36 range - and he's under 10 this year.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1211 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:11 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Jaden takes the toughest defensive matchup every night. I'll cut him some slack for not upping his usage.

McDaniels is not a natural scorer. That doesn't mean he's not a very talented shooter with an improving on ball game - just that he's never been a guy who looks to score first. He's a complimentary guy. A 3&D that has flashed the potential to do more, but is not there yet at all. He's not a movement shooter or a great off ball guy. He's not a guy you can say "double your attempts" and good things will happen. He's really only comfortable scoring in the flow of the game. Literally 99% of his career 3s have been assisted.

NAW came into the league as a scorer that didn't play defense and that was his rep for a number of years. He was a 16-17 FGA/36 (and 8(!) 3PA/36) every year in New Orleans. It wasn't until he was exiled to Utah that he reinvented himself as a defense first, low volume scorer. In Utah and MN, he's settled into the 11-12 FGA/36 range - and he's under 10 this year.

There is some logic to what you are saying. Yet Jaden is shooting a much higher percentage from the floor, and has significantly more shot attempts. NAW might be more comfortable shooting, but Jaden is better at scoring. Finch needs to find ways to make Jaden into a proper two way player, or TC needs to find a coach who will.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1212 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:20 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

There is some logic to what you are saying. Yet Jaden is shooting a much higher percentage from the floor, and has significantly more shot attempts. NAW might be more comfortable shooting, but Jaden is better at scoring. Finch needs to find ways to make Jaden into a proper two way player, or TC needs to find a coach who will.

These guys aren't robots. You can't just reprogram them.

Jaden is shooting a much higher percent, in large part, because of the shots he takes (and the many shots he doesn't take). You can't just will him into your 20 PPG scorer by forcing him to shoot more.

NAW was never an efficient scorer (and was a crap defender) and was likely on his way out of the league until he completely redefined himself in Utah.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1213 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:26 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Jaden is shooting a much higher percent, in large part, because of the shots he takes (and the many shots he doesn't take). You can't just will him into your 20 PPG scorer by forcing him to shoot more.

If only we could reprogram players. Karl would eliminate the stray voltage and Ant wouldn’t dribble into triple teams.

I am not suggesting telling Jaden simply chuck up more shots. I am suggesting running action designed to give Jaden good looks. I am suggesting giving Jaden post up opportunities when he has a size advantage. I am suggesting setting off ball screens for him so he can cut and get more layups/dunks. I am suggesting giving Jaden the ball in space more so he can get comfortable on ball. There are a ton of ways to help bring him along. Moreover, Jaden has expressed a strong desire to be more involved in the offense. Finch has tried to pigeon hole Jaden. It might make sense with Karl healthy and Rudy demanding his touches. It makes no sense without Karl and with a banged up Ant. If Jaden doesn’t develop is it his fault or Finch’s? If Jaden has it in him, then it must be developed. If not, why pay him 25 million next year?
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,505

Post#1214 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:28 pm

ESPN+ Zach Lowe had a very good article about Towns and how the Wolves can't win without him. They mentioned Towns is at his best when you mix in 3s, post-ups, drives, etc, which I totally agree with. Towns has to use his size once a while and also be decisive on shooting the 3s. He is one of the reason we at least have some ball movement. I think we are going to see a lot more Ant dribbling the air out of the ball plays going forward. This triangle-less triangle offense is so hard for the young guys to learn.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#1215 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:34 pm

I don't know why but im not worry.
we beat Indiana when shooting garbage at 3 but find a way to win. We have many weapons in this team, We can still compete.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#1216 » by KGdaBom » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:36 pm

TimberKat wrote:ESPN+ Zach Lowe had a very good article about Towns and how the Wolves can't win without him. They mentioned Towns is at his best when you mix in 3s, post-ups, drives, etc, which I totally agree with. Towns has to use his size once a while and also be decisive on shooting the 3s. He is one of the reason we at least have some ball movement. I think we are going to see a lot more Ant dribbling the air out of the ball plays going forward. This triangle-less triangle offense is so hard for the young guys to learn.

I'm hoping you're wrong.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,505

Post#1217 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:42 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:ESPN+ Zach Lowe had a very good article about Towns and how the Wolves can't win without him. They mentioned Towns is at his best when you mix in 3s, post-ups, drives, etc, which I totally agree with. Towns has to use his size once a while and also be decisive on shooting the 3s. He is one of the reason we at least have some ball movement. I think we are going to see a lot more Ant dribbling the air out of the ball plays going forward. This triangle-less triangle offense is so hard for the young guys to learn.

I'm hoping you're wrong.

Me too.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1218 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:06 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If only we could reprogram players. Karl would eliminate the stray voltage and Ant wouldn’t dribble into triple teams.

I am not suggesting telling Jaden simply chuck up more shots. I am suggesting running action designed to give Jaden good looks. I am suggesting giving Jaden post up opportunities when he has a size advantage. I am suggesting setting off ball screens for him so he can cut and get more layups/dunks. I am suggesting giving Jaden the ball in space more so he can get comfortable on ball. There are a ton of ways to help bring him along. Moreover, Jaden has expressed a strong desire to be more involved in the offense. Finch has tried to pigeon hole Jaden. It might make sense with Karl healthy and Rudy demanding his touches. It makes no sense without Karl and with a banged up Ant. If Jaden doesn’t develop is it his fault or Finch’s? If Jaden has it in him, then it must be developed. If not, why pay him 25 million next year?

How do you implement all that now when there is very little practice beyond walk throughs and therapy?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1219 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:19 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

How do you implement all that now when there is very little practice beyond walk throughs and therapy?

You already have some of the actions in place, just run them with Jaden. Also, these are professional basketball players, if you tell a Kyle “set more off ball screens for Jaden,” and you tell Jaden “cut towards the rim when you see Kyle about to set the screen,) they can figure things out. Or tell Jaden, post up and we will try to get you the ball (when mismatched.) Finch made a very smart comment a month or two ago. Paraphrasing “Back in the day every NBA player was a star of their team and they remember those days.”
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 681

Post#1220 » by Movics » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:53 am

Too lazy to read back, sorry. Are they removing his meniscus completely that he will be back to basketball activities so fast?
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves